[Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

[Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

David Cuenca Tudela
Hello everybody,

Normally in our community we used to send angry emails when we were not
happy with how things are going, and we were not sending enough emails of
satisfaction and encouragement. I don't know who started it, but the "what
is making​ you happy this week" series might be one of the best social
achievements our movement has reached.

To continue on that line I would like to tell you what made me happy this
week, but about Katherine Maher, our current leader. In particular about
this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8BuyKmjy7Rw

If you haven't watched it, do it now and get to know Katherine. I think we
as a community don't deserve a leader like her, at least not yet. The
reason is because she's​ way more advanced than us at seeing how the world
is going and what is there to be done about it.

We can have as many Strategy Talks as we want, but as long as we as a
community are not ready to rally to put ourselves behind Katherine and
fully support her with her mission, it will be all for nothing.

The way I perceive Katherine is a charismatic leader full of light, but her
light is not reaching us fully because we are not giving her enough power
yet. I want to invite all of you as individuals to reflect upon this and
ask yourself if you are as ready as me to support Katherine for the
personal benefit and the whole movement benefit.

I have never done this before but allow me some tolerance to speak on
behalf of the community. Not because I have been elected but because I love
it so much and I want the best for it. So if I were to speak on behalf of
the community I would tell this to Katherine: stop having so much patience
with us.

There was a time when patience was good and necessary, but not anymore. Set
yourself free and do as you please, because I see no possible harm in your
intentions. Don't be afraid about going too fast. The community needs
challenges to grow and if you don't bring them forward, we will not grow
enough to face the world of tomorrow, or today, or yesterday.

We are behind in our progress because of you, Katherine. We need that you
bring to the table ALL what you can do, but you need to do it wisely, and
you lack a bit of that too.
So my advice is to challenge us, but ask first wise people in the movement
first. There are a few of them, but they do exist: Andrea Zanni, Asaf
Bartov, even Délphine (never meet her properly) are clear examples of wise
people. Over time and with practice you will be able to find more, and in
the end you will be wise enough to enlighten us all.

In my more than 10 years in the movement and my particular involved in
leadership, I could have never imagined that we would be so lucky to find a
leader like Katherine. When by chance she was here in Belgium, I live in
Leuven, I asked to meet her. Of course it was not possible, but I use the
opportunity to tell her what I wanted to in that meeting: Katherine, I love
you, not in a romantic way, but the way you are as a person, don't be
afraid if others cannot see you for who you are, you are just great the way
you are.

In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but I am
lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata
conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a gift
for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this year,
and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The Moon?
The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.

Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is great
and that she deserves more emails like this one.

Cheers,
Micru

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

Tanweer Morshed
Thank you Micru for bringing the talk of Katherine in the mailing list, I
probably wouldn't have watched it if you didn't post it here.

I'd like to thank Katherine for the charismatic presentation at University
of Melbourne, depicting the essence of the Wikimedia movement in the
perspective of our times. We value your leadership in the movement and your
effort to highlight the goodness of millions of Wikimedians across the
world. This isn't very common that we acknowledge the positivity and
contribution of people around us, which we should do more to encourage and
assure them that they are doing great, thus uplifting the energy within
them. Thank you Katherine!

Regards,
Tanweer

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM, David Cuenca Tudela <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> you, not in a romantic way, but the way you are as a person, don't be
> afraid if others cannot see you for who you are, you are just great the way
> you are.
>
> In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but I am
> lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata
> conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a gift
> for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this year,
> and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The Moon?
> The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.
>
> Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is great
> and that she deserves more emails like this one.
>
> Cheers,
> Micru

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
with the right leader, things suddenly start to click just right :)

dj

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> love
> > you, not in a romantic way, but the way you are as a person, don't be
> > afraid if others cannot see you for who you are, you are just great the
> way
> > you are.
> >
> > In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but I
> am
> > lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata
> > conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a
> gift
> > for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this year,
> > and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The Moon?
> > The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.
> >
> > Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is great
> > and that she deserves more emails like this one.

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i grupy badawczej NeRDS
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)
http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard:
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
The Wikipedian:
http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

Andrew Lih
Thanks David.

More than a year ago, I started a “What’s Making You Happy” prompt in the
Wikipedia Weekly Facebook group as a weekly invitation for folks to share
their stories, large and small. I’m glad to see it spreading to more
corners of our community.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/

-Andrew

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:00 AM, David Cuenca Tudela <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> you, not in a romantic way, but the way you are as a person, don't be
> afraid if others cannot see you for who you are, you are just great the way
> you are.
>
> In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but I am
> lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata
> conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a gift
> for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this year,
> and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The Moon?
> The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.
>
> Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is great
> and that she deserves more emails like this one.
>
> Cheers,
> Micru

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for starting that initiative, it's really good!

I think that if you were able to come up with that, you would be able to
come up with even bigger things. I have faith in you :)

Regards,
Micru

On Jun 2, 2017 21:20, "Andrew Lih" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> way
> > you are.
> >
> > In a past Conference I brought some gifts to people I cared about, but I
> am
> > lucky that I won't be attending this Wikimania (only the Wikidata
> > conference this year). I feel lucky because I will not have to bring a
> gift
> > for Katherine, the only person who was deserved my admiration this year,
> > and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The Moon?
> > The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.
> >
> > Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is great
> > and that she deserves more emails like this one.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Micru

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

jmh649
Agree. Just under two years ago, I thought Katherine would make an
excellent ED. And she has not disappointed.

James

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> year,
> > > and it would be too hard to pick an appropriate gift for her... The
> Moon?
> > > The stars? They are hard to transport, anyway.
> > >
> > > Please forgive me for my ramblings. I just think that Katherine is
> great
> > > and that she deserves more emails like this one.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Micru

> __________________________
> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
> kierownik katedry Zarządzania Międzynarodowego
> i grupy badawczej NeRDS
> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl
>
> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> autorstwa (Dorothy Lee Award 2015, Nagroda Naukowa Prezesa PAN 2016)

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Katherine Maher is making me happy this week

Andreas Kolbe-2
In the spirit of this thread—

Pine's question about project-based accounting[1] made me look for the
first time in a while at the Foundation's most recent Annual Plan[2] and
the related mid-year check-in[3].

I was surprised and delighted by how much better – how much more readable,
easier to understand and more specific and down to earth – this is than
past efforts. It's also beautifully formatted and interlinked.

The mid-year check-in is a vast improvement on the old-style Q&As. (It also
has some good-natured edit summaries that made me smile.)

Well done.

Andreas

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-June/087740.html
[2]