[Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

[Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Ed Erhart-2
I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.

https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman

Best,
--Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Tito Dutta
Very sad news. :(

On 30 July 2016 at 02:55, Ed Erhart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
> first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
> away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
> condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman
>
> Best,
> --Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

bobby shabangu
My condolences to his family.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very sad news. :(
>
> On 30 July 2016 at 02:55, Ed Erhart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
> > first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
> > away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
> > condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.
> >
> > https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman
> >
> > Best,
> > --Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Mardetanha-2
it is sad to know about this, May God bless his soul, Rest in peace Kevin

Mardetanha

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 12:05 PM, bobby shabangu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My condolences to his family.
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Very sad news. :(
> >
> > On 30 July 2016 at 02:55, Ed Erhart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
> > > first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
> > > away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
> > > condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.
> > >
> > > https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > --Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Shlomi Fish
On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 16:25:49 -0500
Ed Erhart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
> first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
> away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
> condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman

Sorry to hear that! These are sad news.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> Best,
> --Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Trillium Corsage
When Kevin first became an administrator there was something he did that I found objectionable. It would be poor form to revisit that now, but I mention it to avoid making a saint of the guy. I had later glimpses of him and he seemed like a good guy.

He seemed overall like a kind human spirit and I'm sad that he's off to the next destination so soon.

By messages and his Facebook page he was an organ donor, and his heart is beating in some other person right now. Consider designating yourself as an organ donor, everyone, mark the option on your driver's license or identification.

Trillium Corsage

29.07.2016, 22:26, "Ed Erhart" <email clipped>:

> I regret to inform everyone that Kevin Gorman, a Wikipedian who was the
> first Wikipedian-in-residence at a US university or college, has passed
> away. There is a memorial page on Facebook, and editors are leaving
> condolences on his English Wikipedia talk page.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/bombus.memoriam/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kevin_Gorman
>
> Best,
> --Ed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Ryan Kaldari-2
I was friends with Kevin and talked to him often over email. He was a
tireless advocate of addressing the gender gap on Wikipedia and making the
projects less toxic. Besides his significant volunteer work on-wiki, he was
also a moderator of the gendergap mailing list (a difficult and thankless
job). He was always an advocate for those whose voices were not being heard
or those who were afraid to speak up due to fear of being attacked. He ran
for English Wikipedia ArbCom last year, and addressed some of these issues
in his candidate statement: "Our encyclopedia aims to encompass the sum of
all human knowledge - a lofty goal that we cannot possibly accomplish
unless we take steps to ensure that, to borrow from a recent public
comment, we’re sending no demographic into a cultural buzzsaw."

Kevin was one of the countless unsung heroes of our movement, and his
passing is a tragic loss. I hope we can pay tribute to his memory by
continuing to work towards addressing the gender gap and eliminating
harassment on our projects.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Rachel Farrand
You can add info here if you knew him and some of his Wikimedia work and
accomplishments:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2016-08-04/Obituary

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was friends with Kevin and talked to him often over email. He was a
> tireless advocate of addressing the gender gap on Wikipedia and making the
> projects less toxic. Besides his significant volunteer work on-wiki, he was
> also a moderator of the gendergap mailing list (a difficult and thankless
> job). He was always an advocate for those whose voices were not being heard
> or those who were afraid to speak up due to fear of being attacked. He ran
> for English Wikipedia ArbCom last year, and addressed some of these issues
> in his candidate statement: "Our encyclopedia aims to encompass the sum of
> all human knowledge - a lofty goal that we cannot possibly accomplish
> unless we take steps to ensure that, to borrow from a recent public
> comment, we’re sending no demographic into a cultural buzzsaw."
>
> Kevin was one of the countless unsung heroes of our movement, and his
> passing is a tragic loss. I hope we can pay tribute to his memory by
> continuing to work towards addressing the gender gap and eliminating
> harassment on our projects.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Of little interest perhaps, but Kevin's profile appeared on my LinkedIn's
"People you may know" page (as did another recently deceased ex-WMF
staffer's). I reached out to LinkedIn directly, filling in their deceased
members form so that remove or mark the profile as deceased (different
networks handle this type of request differently). From past experience,
often the family of the deceased is too overwhelmed to deal with their
loved one's online profiles and are grateful if others 'take care' of that.

Something to consider if you come across other online profiles of Kevin.

K.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Rachel Farrand <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You can add info here if you knew him and some of his Wikimedia work and
> accomplishments:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/
> 2016-08-04/Obituary
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I was friends with Kevin and talked to him often over email. He was a
> > tireless advocate of addressing the gender gap on Wikipedia and making
> the
> > projects less toxic. Besides his significant volunteer work on-wiki, he
> was
> > also a moderator of the gendergap mailing list (a difficult and thankless
> > job). He was always an advocate for those whose voices were not being
> heard
> > or those who were afraid to speak up due to fear of being attacked. He
> ran
> > for English Wikipedia ArbCom last year, and addressed some of these
> issues
> > in his candidate statement: "Our encyclopedia aims to encompass the sum
> of
> > all human knowledge - a lofty goal that we cannot possibly accomplish
> > unless we take steps to ensure that, to borrow from a recent public
> > comment, we’re sending no demographic into a cultural buzzsaw."
> >
> > Kevin was one of the countless unsung heroes of our movement, and his
> > passing is a tragic loss. I hope we can pay tribute to his memory by
> > continuing to work towards addressing the gender gap and eliminating
> > harassment on our projects.

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Community Advocate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kevin Gorman has passed away

Ed Erhart-2
A memorial is being held in Berkeley, California on 21 August.
https://www.facebook.com/events/663526253795755/