[Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

[Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

Yuri Astrakhan-2
I would like to continue the discussion of who, in an ideal case, would be
a good fit for the ED position.  This person has to fit culturally, share
movement's values, and be a trusted figure in the time of rebuilding.

Lawrence Lessig seems to have a very strong support in the community, and
even attempted to run (unsuccessfully) a large organization called United
States.

Thoughts?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

Nathan Awrich
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to continue the discussion of who, in an ideal case, would be
> a good fit for the ED position.  This person has to fit culturally, share
> movement's values, and be a trusted figure in the time of rebuilding.
>
> Lawrence Lessig seems to have a very strong support in the community, and
> even attempted to run (unsuccessfully) a large organization called United
> States.
>
> Thoughts?

What do you know about his management experience?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

Pete Forsyth-2
Lawrence Lessig has done wonderful things for the free culture movement
(including making that very phrase famous!) I am pretty confident, given
his recent interests, that he would not want this position,but he's well
worth discussing anyway.

Though I don't know Larry Lessig personally, I do know his organization
(Creative Commons) well. And interestingly enough, CC has recently
undergone a substantial shift in its leadership (board turnover and CEO
turnover). It has been carried out in a remarkably drama-free way; just
last week, I talked to the current CEO and two recent past leaders, who all
tell very much the same story, and all feel that the organization is better
off, despite having gone through some turbulent times, and despite having
further work ahead.

I would strongly support any organizational effort to learn from Creative
Commons' recent experiences, and how to emulate its success and/or learn
from less than ideal parts of its process.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to continue the discussion of who, in an ideal case, would be
> a good fit for the ED position.  This person has to fit culturally, share
> movement's values, and be a trusted figure in the time of rebuilding.
>
> Lawrence Lessig seems to have a very strong support in the community, and
> even attempted to run (unsuccessfully) a large organization called United
> States.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

Dan Andreescu
I met him, he's amazingly focused and radical, I appreciate his brand of intellect very much. But I think suggesting candidates for the ED position at this time is jumping two steps ahead of where we are.

We just screwed up. We were all dragged through months of an awkward collapse of our leadership and organizational structure. Before we start piling the rubble of this collapse back up into the same exact shape with a different keystone, let's take a breath and think.

First we should make sure we understand what, more or less, failed. It was not just Lila. Second, we should talk about what options we have and what criteria we should use to evaluate those options.

We can be patient. We have reaffirmed our respect for each other and we trust each other enough to share ideas, emotions, and proposals. This is our foundation, and it hasn't collapsed.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Lawrence Lessig for ... WMF

Oliver Keyes-5
I'm agreed with Dan and Nathan (well, Nathan's implied point) both.

Right now we need stability. I'd much prefer an interim ED appointed
from inside the organisation or movement, ideally someone who has been
watching what's been going on. And then time for healing and
reflection in that space of stability that lets us make a better
decision.

I have no particular opinions on Lessig - or on Creative Commons -
except to note that the organisational leaders are the people whose
opinions on trauma around reorganisations least matter, insofar as,
structurally, they are both the people least likely to be messed over
by them and the people most detached from any swirling mass of feeling
that exists in the employee base. I'd be interested instead in hearing
from current or former employees (I know a couple and they are not as
positive, but it's a small sample size) to make any evaluation more
informed.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Dan Andreescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I met him, he's amazingly focused and radical, I appreciate his brand of intellect very much. But I think suggesting candidates for the ED position at this time is jumping two steps ahead of where we are.
>
> We just screwed up. We were all dragged through months of an awkward collapse of our leadership and organizational structure. Before we start piling the rubble of this collapse back up into the same exact shape with a different keystone, let's take a breath and think.
>
> First we should make sure we understand what, more or less, failed. It was not just Lila. Second, we should talk about what options we have and what criteria we should use to evaluate those options.
>
> We can be patient. We have reaffirmed our respect for each other and we trust each other enough to share ideas, emotions, and proposals. This is our foundation, and it hasn't collapsed.

For the inside, I would think Yana W would be a good candidate, but as Raul
Veede suggested on FB, it would be bad to loose her expertise in her
current role.

Dan, I think you are right that we are not yet ready to have a drop-in
replacement simply because we should figure out what went wrong first.
Possibly we shouldn't even have an ED, but rather have a flatter
community-driven committee that allocates funds, and projects getting
resources from it. And this committee would, in affect, be the
direction-determining force.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm agreed with Dan and Nathan (well, Nathan's implied point) both.
>
> Right now we need stability. I'd much prefer an interim ED appointed
> from inside the organisation or movement, ideally someone who has been
> watching what's been going on. And then time for healing and
> reflection in that space of stability that lets us make a better
> decision.
>
> I have no particular opinions on Lessig - or on Creative Commons -
> except to note that the organisational leaders are the people whose
> opinions on trauma around reorganisations least matter, insofar as,
> structurally, they are both the people least likely to be messed over
> by them and the people most detached from any swirling mass of feeling
> that exists in the employee base. I'd be interested instead in hearing
> from current or former employees (I know a couple and they are not as
> positive, but it's a small sample size) to make any evaluation more
> informed.
>
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Dan Andreescu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I met him, he's amazingly focused and radical, I appreciate his brand of
> intellect very much. But I think suggesting candidates for the ED position
> at this time is jumping two steps ahead of where we are.
> >
> > We just screwed up. We were all dragged through months of an awkward
> collapse of our leadership and organizational structure. Before we start
> piling the rubble of this collapse back up into the same exact shape with a
> different keystone, let's take a breath and think.
> >
> > First we should make sure we understand what, more or less, failed. It
> was not just Lila. Second, we should talk about what options we have and
> what criteria we should use to evaluate those options.
> >
> > We can be patient. We have reaffirmed our respect for each other and we
> trust each other enough to share ideas, emotions, and proposals. This is
> our foundation, and it hasn't collapsed.

Lodewijk
While I love public discussions, I must say I always feel a bit awkward to
discuss people in public, unless there is no other choice.

To discuss people without them agreeing to it, may even be considered rude
by some. You're throwing up names, which can realistically only lead to
people supporting it, because if you would be against it, it would possibly
be a slap in the face of someone you like.

If you really see a serious potential candidate, why not send it to the
board? or, once a public call is being made, point those people to it.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For the inside, I would think Yana W would be a good candidate, but as Raul
> Veede suggested on FB, it would be bad to loose her expertise in her
> current role.
>
> Dan, I think you are right that we are not yet ready to have a drop-in
> replacement simply because we should figure out what went wrong first.
> Possibly we shouldn't even have an ED, but rather have a flatter
> community-driven committee that allocates funds, and projects getting
> resources from it. And this committee would, in affect, be the
> direction-determining force.
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm agreed with Dan and Nathan (well, Nathan's implied point) both.
> >
> > Right now we need stability. I'd much prefer an interim ED appointed
> > from inside the organisation or movement, ideally someone who has been
> > watching what's been going on. And then time for healing and
> > reflection in that space of stability that lets us make a better
> > decision.
> >
> > I have no particular opinions on Lessig - or on Creative Commons -
> > except to note that the organisational leaders are the people whose
> > opinions on trauma around reorganisations least matter, insofar as,
> > structurally, they are both the people least likely to be messed over
> > by them and the people most detached from any swirling mass of feeling
> > that exists in the employee base. I'd be interested instead in hearing
> > from current or former employees (I know a couple and they are not as
> > positive, but it's a small sample size) to make any evaluation more
> > informed.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Dan Andreescu <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I met him, he's amazingly focused and radical, I appreciate his brand
> of
> > intellect very much. But I think suggesting candidates for the ED
> position
> > at this time is jumping two steps ahead of where we are.
> > >
> > > We just screwed up. We were all dragged through months of an awkward
> > collapse of our leadership and organizational structure. Before we start
> > piling the rubble of this collapse back up into the same exact shape
> with a
> > different keystone, let's take a breath and think.
> > >
> > > First we should make sure we understand what, more or less, failed. It
> > was not just Lila. Second, we should talk about what options we have and
> > what criteria we should use to evaluate those options.
> > >
> > > We can be patient. We have reaffirmed our respect for each other and we
> > trust each other enough to share ideas, emotions, and proposals. This is
> > our foundation, and it hasn't collapsed.

Lodewijk, this is a very valid point, thanks.  My understanding is that
this process done in private has lost some of its credibility with the
staff and the community, and thus I would like to get some understanding on
how we can do that same process in the open, without offending anyone.  In
the wiki world, I think most of the time people
have publicly nominated candidates for various roles, and that has not been
a concern. Of course the nick names provide some degree of anonymity, so
this might not be exactly the same.

On Feb 27, 2016 01:57, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> [hidden email]

> > of
> > > intellect very much. But I think suggesting candidates for the ED
> > position
> > > at this time is jumping two steps ahead of where we are.

> > > collapse of our leadership and organizational structure. Before we
> start
> > > piling the rubble of this collapse back up into the same exact shape
> > with a
> > > different keystone, let's take a breath and think.

> It
> > > was not just Lila. Second, we should talk about what options we have
> and
> > > what criteria we should use to evaluate those options.

> we
> > > trust each other enough to share ideas, emotions, and proposals. This
> is
> > > our foundation, and it hasn't collapsed.

Comet styles
Lawrence Lessig is an excellent suggestion, probably would be my
Candidate A for the job if he wasn't 'besties' with Jimmy Wales..we
have already had issues with the  staff and board working together in
secrecy without the community's knowledge, we should not have to go
through it again.. I agree with Lodewijk, we should not be discussing
this BUT the WMF has a habit of selecting the worst candidates for the
job on both the board and the staff without the community's input or
knowledge, so surely if this is the only way the community can gets
its input, then so be it....

Cometstyles