[Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

[Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Dear friends,

I wanted to share with you some changes in WMIL. This weekend, after more
than 6 years of service, Michal Lester will conclude her position as WMIL's
ED.

Michal, WMIL’s first ED, joined us more than 6 years ago, and was our
second employee. Michal’s joining marked the transition of WMIL from an
organization operated and managed by volunteers only to professional hired
staff supporting and leading the activity with the volunteers.

Michal started to initiate and lead large-scale projects and raise the
resources needed for the activity through collaborations, donations and
fund grants. From a one-employee organization with a limited budget, she
brought us to the current position as an established NGO, with varied
activity, hired staff to support it, volunteers and a sufficient budget to
support all of that.

Under her leadership, we initiated the education project in Hebrew, and
later in Arabic. We guided tens of thousands of teachers on how to work
with (and for) Wikipedia. We created training tools and tutorials, formed
years-long collaborations with dozens of organizations, and hosted the
international hackathon and later the GLAM conference. We represented WMIL
and our movement values in Parliament discussions and in discussion with
archives; and when they failed to cooperate we did not hesitate to “force”
them to give back to the public the photos that belong to them by law. The
list of projects and achievements is too long to summarize in one email.

We are proud to say that WMIL turned not only to a leading and recognized
organization in Israel, but also to one of the important and active
affiliates of the global movement.

Michal’s activity in WMIL was beyond that of an employee, but true
recruitment and belief in Wikimedia’s activity and values. Her
round-the-clock investment and great love to the movement, organization,
its employees and volunteers, serves proof. Many volunteers benefited from
Michal’s attention, advice and support at all times.

The Board, and I personally, would like to thank Michal for this
significant contribution that brought us to our current dignified position,
and we wish her the best of luck in the future. We will remember you as the
first ED who saw the hardship and labor pains of WMIL, and as WMIL’s
“mother” in its professional role. We extend to you our greatest thanks.

While Michal is leaving, I would like to congratulate Revital Poleg,
replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was one
of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.

Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.

We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

*Itzik Edri*
Chairperson (volunteer)
[hidden email]
+972-54-5878078

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

camelia boban
A great thank you to Michal and congratulations to Revital for the new
position.
Also a great thank you to WMIL for the work done in all these years.

Best,
Camelia

--
*Camelia Boban*

*| Java EE Developer |*

*Affiliations Committee - **Wikimedia Foundation*
Diversity WG for Wikimedia Strategy 2030
*Interwiki Women
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interwiki_Women_Collaboration> | **Wiki
Loves Sport <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Sport> | Wiki Loves
Fashion <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Fashion>*
WMIT <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Italia> - WMSE
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Sverige> - WMAR
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Argentina> - WMCH
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CH> Member

M. +39 3383385545
[hidden email]
*Aissa Technologies* <http://aissatechnologies.eu/>* | *Twitter
<https://twitter.com/cameliaboban> *|* *LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/camelia-boban-31319122>*
*Wikipedia <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Camelia.boban> **| **WikiDonne
UG <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiDonne>* | *WikiDonne Project
<https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:WikiDonne> *

Il giorno mer 18 dic 2019 alle ore 14:49 Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
>
> Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
>
> We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.
>

> *Itzik Edri*
> Chairperson (volunteer)
> [hidden email]
> +972-54-5878078

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
many thanks Michal for your years of amazing work, which I've admired on many occasions. Welcome, Revital - Michal set the bar high, but I'm sure you'll make WMIL grow even more!

best,

dj "pundit"

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> ha scritto:

> [...]
>
> While Michal is leaving, I would like to congratulate Revital Poleg,
> replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was one
> of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
>
> Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
>
> We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

[http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/minds.jpg]<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>        prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

Ostatnie artykuły:

  *   Dariusz Jemielniak, Maciej Wilamowski (2017)  Cultural Diversity of Quality of Information on Wikipedias<http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf> Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 68:  10.  2460–2470.
  *   Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Wikimedia Movement Governance: The Limits of A-Hierarchical Organization<http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/wikimedia_governance.pdf> Journal of Organizational Change Management 29:  3.  361-378.
  *   Dariusz Jemielniak, Eduard Aibar (2016)  Bridging the Gap Between Wikipedia and Academia<http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/bridging.pdf> Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 67:  7.  1773-1776.
  *   Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Breaking the Glass Ceiling on Wikipedia<http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/glass-ceiling.pdf> Feminist Review 113:  1.  103-108.
  *   Tadeusz Chełkowski, Peter Gloor, Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Inequalities in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor’s Commits in Apache Software Foundation Projects<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0152976.PDF>, PLoS ONE 11:  4.  e0152976.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Shlomi Fish
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:24:36 +0100
camelia boban <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A great thank you to Michal and congratulations to Revital for the new
> position.
> Also a great thank you to WMIL for the work done in all these years.

I agree. Thanks and good luck! (What does "ED" mean, though?)

> [...]
> >
> > While Michal is leaving, I would like to congratulate Revital Poleg,
> > replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was one
> > of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> > the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> > External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> > Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> > Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
> >
> > Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> > international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> > sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
> >
> > We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> > we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
http://is.gd/i5eMQd - Emma Watson’s Interview for a Software Dev Job

If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings — including this one.
    — Unknown Source (via fortune-mod).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Cornelius Kibelka
Executive Director.

Cheers
Cornelius

On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 21:18, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head
> of the
> > > Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
> > >
> > > Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local
> and
> > > international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> > > sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
> > >
> > > We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes,
> and
> > > we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.
> > >

> > > *Itzik Edri*
> > > Chairperson (volunteer)
> > > [hidden email]
> > > +972-54-5878078

> Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
> http://is.gd/i5eMQd - Emma Watson’s Interview for a Software Dev Job
>
> If you wish to live wisely, ignore sayings — including this one.

Internationale Beziehungen | International Relations
Vorstandsteam | Office of the ED

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Frans Grijzenhout
Hk Itzik, thanks for letting us know. I also want to thank Michal, it was a
pleasure to work with her. And welcome to Revital. Hope to meet her in
Berlin during the WM Summit. Kind regards, Frans

*Frans Grijzenhout*, voorzitter / chair
+31 6 5333 9499
--
*Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland*
Mariaplaats 3  -  3511 LH Utrecht

Op wo 18 dec. 2019 om 14:50 schreef Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
>
> Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
>
> We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.
>

> *Itzik Edri*
> Chairperson (volunteer)
> [hidden email]
> +972-54-5878078

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Pine W
Michal, many thanks for your service. I remember when we talked online
several years ago. Best wishes for your next steps, and I hope that you
will keep in touch.

Itzik, thank you for sharing this news.

שָׁלוֹם

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Joseph Seddon-4
Thank you Michal for your years of service. My favourite memory is having
an ice cream with you at GLAMWIKI in Tel Aviv last year.

I hope to still see you around the movement.

Seddon

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 02:22 Pine W, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michal, many thanks for your service. I remember when we talked online
> several years ago. Best wishes for your next steps, and I hope that you
> will keep in touch.
>
> Itzik, thank you for sharing this news.
>
> שָׁלוֹם
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Rajeeb Dutta
Dear Michal,

You have been a true ambassador of the movement and thank you for all the years of service.  It was pleasure meeting you at GLAMWIKI2018 in Tel Aviv last year.

I know you will be around the movement and until we meet again, all my best wishes for your upcoming endeavour.

Best Regards,
Raj.
(U: Marajozkee)
Sent from my iPhone

> On 19-Dec-2019, at 8:34 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Michal for your years of service. My favourite memory is having
> an ice cream with you at GLAMWIKI in Tel Aviv last year.
>
> I hope to still see you around the movement.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Shlomi Fish
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 22:27:23 +0100
Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Executive Director.

Thanks! So ED is "Executive Director".

> Cheers
> Cornelius
>
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 at 21:18, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 15:24:36 +0100
> > camelia boban <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > A great thank you to Michal and congratulations to Revital for the new
> > > position.
> > > Also a great thank you to WMIL for the work done in all these years.
> > >

> > I agree. Thanks and good luck! (What does "ED" mean, though?)

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Funny Anti-Terrorism Story - https://shlom.in/enemy

“God is dead.” — Nietzsche
“Nietzsche is dead.” — God                 (Unknown Source)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Delphine Ménard -2
Michal, thank you so much for your vision, your passion, for being at the
heart and helm of Wikimedia Israel for so many years.

Working with you has been a constant source of bubbling ideas, righting
wrongs and challenging the status quo. I have enjoyed this partnership
where together, and yet from both our corners of the Wikimedia world, we
have worked to make things better, to be more thoughtful, to think beyond
the well known and put in it a lot of heart. I am glad, beyond the
colleague, to have won a friend, because I believe that this will stay.

Revital, I am looking forward to working with you, you are indeed, filling
big shoes, but also benefiting from the dedicated and skillful team Michal
brought together. Welcome to Wikimedia!

Best,

Delphine

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> While Michal is leaving, I would like to congratulate Revital Poleg,
> replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was one
> of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
>
> Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
>
> We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

Delphine Ménard (she/her)
Wikimedia Foundation
Strategy Liaison
Program Officer Annual Plan Grants

User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Jorge Vargas
Best of lucks in your future adventures, Michal! You’re a fabulous person
and professional. Wishing you all the best.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 7:50 AM Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was
> one
> > of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff
> for
> > the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> > External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> > Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of
> the
> > Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
> >
> > Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local
> and
> > international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> > sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
> >
> > We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> > we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

Senior Partnerships Manager
+1 415.310.5922

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Jeffrey Keefer
I want to take a moment to share how strong a colleague Michał has been over the past two years when I have worked with her from a distance, with only a couple in-person meetings.

Michal has a talent and focus that has inspired me with my own Wikimedia commitments, and I can only imagine how much she has helped mobilize   efforts within Wikimedia Israel.

Having first heard her present at Wikimania in Montreal, before I knew and worked with her directly, I have remained humbled and impressed.

I wish her the best, and imagine she will continue to positively help the Movement as it continues to develop and expand.

-----

With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,

Jeffrey
User:FULBERT
[hidden email]

> [...]
> of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff for
> the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of the
> Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
>
> Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local and
> international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
>
> We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.
>

> *Itzik Edri*
> Chairperson (volunteer)
> [hidden email]
> +972-54-5878078

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Revital Poleg
Dear friends,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome.

I feel honored to join the Wikimedia family as the new ED of WMIL and to
become part of this devoted team that works continuously to make the
Wikimedia vision a reality.

My personal thanks and appreciation to you, Michal, for introducing me to
the impressive work done at WMIL under your leadership. You left your mark
on the organization, and I am sure that you will continue to do so,
wherever you choose to be.

I look forward to working with you all, colleagues, volunteers and staff, with
the goal of continuing to develop and strengthen WMIL in anticipation of
the challenges and opportunities that are expected in the future.

Best Regards

Revital

‫בתאריך יום ד׳, 18 בדצמ׳ 2019 ב-15:31 מאת ‪Itzik - Wikimedia Israel‬‏ <‪
[hidden email]‬‏>:‬

--
*Revital Poleg*
Executive Director

<https://wikimedia.org.il/igul/++אזור+קבצים+מצורפים>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Samuel Patton
Michal, I was very happy to get a little bit of your perspective in
conversations re: fundraising over the last few months. Thank you for all
you've done and I look forward to seeing what's next for you.

Congratulations, Revital.

Best wishes to all the awesome people at WMIL.

sam

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 7:22 PM FULBERT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > replacing Michal in her position. Revital is a former diplomat. She was
> one
> > of the founders of the Peres Peace Center, she served as Chief of Staff
> for
> > the Knesset Speaker; VP Business Development of a lobbying company;
> > External Relations and Resource Development Director for the Ruppin
> > Academic Center; and in her last position – Chief Executive and Head of
> the
> > Jewish Agency Mission to Brazil.
> >
> > Revital brings extensive experience in large organizations, both local
> and
> > international, and a vast network of contacts in the private and public
> > sectors. She speaks Hebrew, English, Portuguese and Spanish.
> >
> > We wish her good luck in her position, in filling Michal’s big shoes, and
> > we are positive she continues to advance WMIL forward.

Sam Patton (he/him)

Senior Manager, Online Fundraising

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leadership change at Wikimedia Israel

Sydney Poore-2
Hello Michal, Thank you for all of the significant contribution that you
made to the Wikimedia movement! Wishing you all the best for what comes
next!

Sydney

Sydney Poore (she/her)
Strategist, socio-technical