[Wikimedia-l] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

[Wikimedia-l] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Dario Taraborelli-3
Hey all,

I've got some personal news to share.

After 8 years with Wikimedia, I have decided to leave the Foundation to
take up a new role focused on open science. This has been a difficult
decision but an opportunity arose and I am excited to be moving on to an
area that’s been so close to my heart for years.

Serving the movement as part of the Research team at WMF has been, and will
definitely be, the most important gig in my life. I leave a team of
ridiculously talented and fun people that I can’t possibly imagine not
spending all of my days with, as well many collaborators and friends in the
community who have I worked alongside. I am proud and thankful to have been
part of this journey with you all. With my departure, Leila Zia is taking
the lead of Research at WMF, and you all couldn't be in better hands.

In March, I’ll be joining CZI Science—a philanthropy based in the Bay
Area—to help build their portfolio of open science programs and technology.
I'll continue to be an ally on the same fights in my new role.

Other than that, I look forward to returning to full volunteer mode. I
started editing English Wikipedia in 2004, working on bloody chapters in
the history of London
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_London>; hypothetical
astronomy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Nine>; unsung heroes among
women in science <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Potter>; and of
course natural <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South_Napa_earthquake>,
technical <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack>
and political
disasters
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections>.
I’ve also developed an embarrassing addiction to Wikidata, and you’ll
continue seeing me around hacking those instances of Q16521
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16521> for a little while.

I hope our paths cross once again in the future.

Best,

Dario

--

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
research.wikimedia.org • nitens.org • @readermeter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Brad Patrick
Thanks for all your work, and best of luck!

[hidden email]
Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I've got some personal news to share.
>
> After 8 years with Wikimedia, I have decided to leave the Foundation to
> take up a new role focused on open science. This has been a difficult
> decision but an opportunity arose and I am excited to be moving on to an
> area that’s been so close to my heart for years.
>
> Serving the movement as part of the Research team at WMF has been, and will
> definitely be, the most important gig in my life. I leave a team of
> ridiculously talented and fun people that I can’t possibly imagine not
> spending all of my days with, as well many collaborators and friends in the
> community who have I worked alongside. I am proud and thankful to have been
> part of this journey with you all. With my departure, Leila Zia is taking
> the lead of Research at WMF, and you all couldn't be in better hands.
>
> In March, I’ll be joining CZI Science—a philanthropy based in the Bay
> Area—to help build their portfolio of open science programs and technology.
> I'll continue to be an ally on the same fights in my new role.
>
> Other than that, I look forward to returning to full volunteer mode. I
> started editing English Wikipedia in 2004, working on bloody chapters in
> the history of London
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_London>; hypothetical
> astronomy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Nine>; unsung heroes among
> women in science <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Potter>; and of
> course natural <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South_Napa_earthquake>,
> technical <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack>
> and political
> disasters
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections>.
> I’ve also developed an embarrassing addiction to Wikidata, and you’ll
> continue seeing me around hacking those instances of Q16521
> <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16521> for a little while.
>
> I hope our paths cross once again in the future.
>
> Best,
>
> Dario
>

> --
>
> *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> research.wikimedia.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

metasj
Dario -- what news!  And how close that seems to your recent pushing of us
all.
How lucky the projects have been to have you building a research
constellation, for these many years.

Leila, congrats + warm wishes in your new role.

With wikilove and taxonometrics,
SJ

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 4:56 PM Dario Taraborelli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've got some personal news to share.
>
> After 8 years with Wikimedia, I have decided to leave the Foundation to
> take up a new role focused on open science. This has been a difficult
> decision but an opportunity arose and I am excited to be moving on to an
> area that’s been so close to my heart for years.
>
> Serving the movement as part of the Research team at WMF has been, and
> will definitely be, the most important gig in my life. I leave a team of
> ridiculously talented and fun people that I can’t possibly imagine not
> spending all of my days with, as well many collaborators and friends in the
> community who have I worked alongside. I am proud and thankful to have been
> part of this journey with you all. With my departure, Leila Zia is taking
> the lead of Research at WMF, and you all couldn't be in better hands.
>
> In March, I’ll be joining CZI Science—a philanthropy based in the Bay
> Area—to help build their portfolio of open science programs and technology.
> I'll continue to be an ally on the same fights in my new role.
>
> Other than that, I look forward to returning to full volunteer mode. I
> started editing English Wikipedia in 2004, working on bloody chapters in
> the history of London <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_London>; hypothetical
> astronomy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Nine>; unsung heroes
> among women in science <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Potter>; and
> of course natural
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South_Napa_earthquake>, technical
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2016_Dyn_cyberattack> and political
> disasters
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections>.
> I’ve also developed an embarrassing addiction to Wikidata, and you’ll
> continue seeing me around hacking those instances of Q16521
> <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16521> for a little while.
>
> I hope our paths cross once again in the future.
>
> Best,
>
> Dario
>

> --
>
> *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> research.wikimedia.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> <http://twitter.com/readermeter>
>
> --
> Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikicite
> ---
> email to [hidden email].

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Yaroslav Blanter
Dario, thanks for your effort. It was a pleasure working with you, and I am
also happy that you will stay around as a volunteer. My congratulations to
Leila. Whereas at this point I am rather skeptical and sometimes vocal
about WMF in general, I have a tremendous respect for both of you.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > continue seeing me around hacking those instances of Q16521
> > <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16521> for a little while.
> >
> > I hope our paths cross once again in the future.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Dario
> >

> > --
> >
> > *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> > research.wikimedia.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> > <http://twitter.com/readermeter>
> >
> > --
> > Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
> > Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikicite
> > ---
> > email to [hidden email].
> >

> --
> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Natacha Rault via Wikimedia-l
Hi Dario and Leila,
it's been a pleasure collaborating with you in the past, and I hope
this will continue despite the changes in your roles.
Best,
Daniel

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > continue seeing me around hacking those instances of Q16521
> > > <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16521> for a little while.
> > >
> > > I hope our paths cross once again in the future.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > Dario
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> > > research.wikimedia.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> > > <http://twitter.com/readermeter>
> > >
> > > --
> > > Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
> > > Twitter: https://twitter.com/wikicite
> > > ---
> > > email to [hidden email].
> > >

> > --
> > Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Amir Sarabadani-2
Dario, I will never forget all of your help when I started working on AI
projects in Wikimedia. Thank you!
Hope to see you soon in one of conferences and Good luck in your new job!

Best

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:00 AM Daniel Mietchen via Wikimedia-l <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dario and Leila,
> it's been a pleasure collaborating with you in the past, and I hope
> this will continue despite the changes in your roles.
> Best,
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dario, thanks for your effort. It was a pleasure working with you, and I
> am
> > also happy that you will stay around as a volunteer. My congratulations
> > Leila. Whereas at this point I am rather skeptical and sometimes vocal
> > about WMF in general, I have a tremendous respect for both of you.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Dario -- what news!  And how close that seems to your recent pushing
> of us
> > > all.
> > > How lucky the projects have been to have you building a research
> > > constellation, for these many years.
> > >
> > > Leila, congrats + warm wishes in your new role.
> > >
> > > With wikilove and taxonometrics,
> > > SJ

> to an

> and
> team of
> not
> in
> > > the
> have
> > > been
> taking

> > > technology.

> chapters in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_London>;
> > > hypothetical
> and
> technical
> > > political
> > >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections

> send an
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
> 4266

Amir

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Dario,

It has been amazing to watch you develop research at the Foundation, and I mean it both as a researcher myself, and a Wikimedian!

DJ "pundit"

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019, 14:52 Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Dario, I will never forget all of your help when I started working on AI
projects in Wikimedia. Thank you!
Hope to see you soon in one of conferences and Good luck in your new job!

Best

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:00 AM Daniel Mietchen via Wikimedia-l <
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> Hi Dario and Leila,
> it's been a pleasure collaborating with you in the past, and I hope
> this will continue despite the changes in your roles.
> Best,
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dario, thanks for your effort. It was a pleasure working with you, and I
> am
> > also happy that you will stay around as a volunteer. My congratulations
> > Leila. Whereas at this point I am rather skeptical and sometimes vocal
> > about WMF in general, I have a tremendous respect for both of you.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > > Dario -- what news!  And how close that seems to your recent pushing
> of us
> > > all.
> > > How lucky the projects have been to have you building a research
> > > constellation, for these many years.
> > >
> > > Leila, congrats + warm wishes in your new role.
> > >
> > > With wikilove and taxonometrics,
> > > SJ

> to an

> and
> team of
> not
> in
> > > the
> have
> > > been
> taking

> > > technology.

> chapters in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield,_London>;
> > > hypothetical
> and
> technical
> > > political
> > >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_interference_in_the_2016_United_States_elections

> send an
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
> 4266

Amir

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Sam Oyeyele
Dario,

Thank you very much for your work in the movement. Thanks for the assistance you've rendered to me, when it comes to Wikimedia collaborations and events.

I'd definitely miss seeing you on the Wikimedia research showcase. However, I'm also happy that you get to move on to an area that's closer to your heart. Wishing you all the best in this new venture!

Kindly,
Sam.
________________________________
It has been amazing to watch you develop research at the Foundation, and I mean it both as a researcher myself, and a Wikimedian!

DJ "pundit"

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019, 14:52 Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Dario, I will never forget all of your help when I started working on AI
projects in Wikimedia. Thank you!
Hope to see you soon in one of conferences and Good luck in your new job!

Best

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:00 AM Daniel Mietchen via Wikimedia-l <
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> Hi Dario and Leila,
> it's been a pleasure collaborating with you in the past, and I hope
> this will continue despite the changes in your roles.
> Best,
> Daniel
>
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Dario, thanks for your effort. It was a pleasure working with you, and I
> am
> > also happy that you will stay around as a volunteer. My congratulations
> > Leila. Whereas at this point I am rather skeptical and sometimes vocal
> > about WMF in general, I have a tremendous respect for both of you.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > > Dario -- what news!  And how close that seems to your recent pushing
> of us
> > > all.
> > > How lucky the projects have been to have you building a research
> > > constellation, for these many years.
> > >
> > > Leila, congrats + warm wishes in your new role.
> > >
> > > With wikilove and taxonometrics,
> > > SJ

> to an

> and