[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hi!
I'm sure that the WMF fundraising people are all aware of this, but this
isn't exactly a well-known issue, so please excuse this short introduction.

For a few months now, there has been quite a strong push from the
Bitcoin community to accept that currency as a donation method; the
issue has been gaining more and more significance ever since the start
of this years' fundraising campaign.

As far as I am aware, the only response so far from the Foundation is
that they do not accept any currencies that are not backed by "by the
full faith and credit of an issuing government." [1]

I'm sure those reading this list can Google the topic themselves, so I
won't link to the many angry discussion that are taking place on the
interwebs right now; instead, I'll ask this: does the Foundation intend
to accept Bitcoin as a donation method any time soon? Does the
Foundation realize that the payment processing company Bitpay has kindly
set up a merchant account that is transferring money to the WMF every
day? [2]

Can you let us know the reasons behind the decision of not accepting
Bitcoin other than those mentioned on the FAQ page I linked? I'm not in
any way related to the Bitcoin movement, but I'm sure that many people
would appreciate hearing more about this.

I should also perhaps mention for those interested in donating in
Bitcoin that Wikimedia New York City, the chapter for NYC, does accept
Bitcoins: <https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Donate>.

Maybe there are other chapters or affiliates that allow this method of
donating?

           Tomasz

== References ==
* [1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Why_does_the_Wikimedia_Foundation_not_currently_accept_Bitcoin.3F
* [2] http://blog.bitpay.com/2012/11/donate-to-wikipedia-with-bitcoin.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Nathan Awrich
I'm a little skeptical about the charitable nature of Bitpay's offer to
"hold" funds for the WMF. It doesn't help that they refer to "Wikipedia's
bank accounts", but in the absence of other evidence I suspect that Bitpay
is taking advantage of the volatility of Bitcoin exchange rates to profit
from the delay between receiving Bitcoin transactions and forwarding dollar
donations. That assumes that they are, in fact, forwarding donations at
all.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Matthew Walker
"That assumes that [Bitpay] are, in fact, forwarding donations at all."
We have received some funds from them.

~Matt Walker
Wikimedia Foundation
Fundraising Technology Team

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Matthew Walker <[hidden email]>wrote:

> "That assumes that [Bitpay] are, in fact, forwarding donations at all."
> We have received some funds from them.
>
> ~Matt Walker
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Fundraising Technology Team

Thanks Matt. I'm still concerned that they are offering the service at
least partly to profit from the currency spread. That may be true of any
potential third party Bitcoin payment processor, at least at this point in
the currency's effort to go mainstream.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

MZMcBride-2
Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:
>Can you let us know the reasons behind the decision of not accepting
>Bitcoin other than those mentioned on the FAQ page I linked?

Has there been any discussion about simply accepting Bitcoins but not
exchanging them? Off-hand, I can't see any potential harm if the Wikimedia
Foundation only accepts Bitcoin donations, though I imagine it could make
tax reporting trickier. (That is, is it settled whether such a transfer
would constitute income? Are Bitcoin donations considered tax deductible?)

This issue probably has enough outside attention to warrant a blog post on
the Wikimedia blog (<https://blog.wikimedia.org>).

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Tim Starling-2
On 11/12/13 06:58, Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:
> I'm sure those reading this list can Google the topic themselves, so I
> won't link to the many angry discussion that are taking place on the
> interwebs right now;

I tried Googling, including news and blog searches, and couldn't work
out what you are talking about. Maybe you should provide links.

-- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

David Gerard-2
On 10 December 2013 23:13, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/12/13 06:58, Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:

>> I'm sure those reading this list can Google the topic themselves, so I
>> won't link to the many angry discussion that are taking place on the
>> interwebs right now;

> I tried Googling, including news and blog searches, and couldn't work
> out what you are talking about. Maybe you should provide links.

tl;dr Bitcoin fans really, really want Wikimedia to accept Bitcoin
donations; Wikimedia is not so interested, but haven't sent a big
Monty Python-style trademark foot down on Bitpay as yet. Nobody else
is very aware.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

James Alexander-3
[completely personal opinion]
To be totally, completely, honest I don't really want us to collect it...
and at this point it's mostly for personal reasons.

First off this isn't really a huge new push to get us to accept bitcoin,
they have been doing this ever 5-6 months in an organized fashion
(frequently, but probably not always, started by some of the big bitcoin
bloggers or payment providers) since at least 2010 when I was involved in
the fundraiser generally trying to shame us and force us to accept it. The
pushes generally include asking everyone to send fundraising emails and
writing as many articles about it as possible. Every time it happens people
say that they are getting angry and it's "a thing". This is actually a
relatively minor burst of activity compared to the past couple years though
the fact that it is happening is to be expected given the fundraiser push
for the end of the year and the publicity that brings.

Part of me wants to say that it just isn't worth the effort. While I'm not
in the FR team anymore so things may have changed the effort to integrate a
new payment system is not tiny because it's actually very important for us
to have automatic tracking into our donation system etc. We used to have
multiple random payment e-wallet/payment methods spread out because people
had created different accounts and they were insanely difficult to keep
track of.

That said while I don't think the effort involved here is
tiny/insubstantial the real reason I don't want to do it is because, at
this point, it's seemed more and more like people wanted us to accept
bitcoin more as a political statement then anything else. That is not our
job, that is not our role, and I do not appreciate someone attempting to
use us to make themselves look more mainstream and accepted. During the
2011 fundraiser the campaign focused on the fact that we accepted
'currencies of anti internet countries' but wouldn't accept bitcoins. We
had integrated an enormous amount of different currencies (though each
individual one was not much work it was really just the original
integration that took forever). The articles and comments at the time
seemed very clearly to me to try and imply that we should not be accepting
these currencies (making it much harder for users in those countries to
give) because they were 'anti internet' and we should accept bitcoin
because it was 'pro internet'. I'm sorry, that's just not how we should be
making decisions.

The articles since then have not seemed any different (and have, perhaps,
seemed even more angry) every time I see stories asking us, or anyone for
that matter, to accept bitcoin it's always couched in the idea that "oh X
and Y accept it so why won't YOU!" and it is very clear that if we start
accepting it every story will include some variation of "Wikipedia accepts
it and therefore how can you say it isn't mainstream!". Very few (i'm sure
they exist, but I haven't found them) of the articles talk about how much
money the non profits or companies are making, they are all about trying to
make a point and prove that we should accept bitcoin because... 'freedom'..
That isn't our job and, again, I don't like people who seem to be out to
use our name for their gain.

Sorry for the bit of a ramble here :-/ at this point whenever I see another
one of these pushes I want to accept bitcoin less and I respect the bitcoin
community a bit less. It's a great idea (with some flaws, but a great idea
none the less) but...this is not how to make it a respectable currency...
it's how to make it look like a niche toy beloved by people trying to push
an agenda :-/

James

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:20 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 December 2013 23:13, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/12/13 06:58, Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:
>
> >> I'm sure those reading this list can Google the topic themselves, so I
> >> won't link to the many angry discussion that are taking place on the
> >> interwebs right now;
>
> > I tried Googling, including news and blog searches, and couldn't work
> > out what you are talking about. Maybe you should provide links.
>

> tl;dr Bitcoin fans really, really want Wikimedia to accept Bitcoin
> donations; Wikimedia is not so interested, but haven't sent a big
> Monty Python-style trademark foot down on Bitpay as yet. Nobody else
> is very aware.
>

> - d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Tom Morris-5
I demand that the Wikimedia Foundation start accepting the following:

Litecoin
Namecoin
PPCoin
Feathercoin
Craftcoin
Quarkcoin
Freicoin
Devcoin
Terracoin
BBQCoin
Netcoin

Actually, scrap that, I've got an even better Ponzi scheme - sorry,
cryptocurrency: TomCoin.

And, best of all, if you start taking TomCoins I'll be happy to give you
a million of them. No, wait, how about a billion?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

David Gerard-2
It's *completely* wrong to call these things Ponzi schemes.

*Technically*, they're pump-and-dumps.

- d.

James Alexander wrote:
>That said while I don't think the effort involved here is
>tiny/insubstantial the real reason I don't want to do it is because, at
>this point, it's seemed more and more like people wanted us to accept
>bitcoin more as a political statement then anything else. That is not our
>job, that is not our role, and I do not appreciate someone attempting to
>use us to make themselves look more mainstream and accepted.

It's funny, I just had a look at the wikimedia-l archive around January
2012... you know, that time when Wikipedia literally shut itself down as a
political statement. The following month, the Wikimedia Foundation
established a "Community Advocacy" department, not to be confused with
lobbying, of which you're now a member.

I can appreciate the many legitimate reasons to not accept Bitcoin and I'm
grateful for your candid thoughts on the matter, but the idea that you, of
all people, would try to claim that it might (gasp!) insert politics into
Wikipedia is simply disrespectful to history and reality.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Robert Rohde
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has there been any discussion about simply accepting Bitcoins but not
> exchanging them?
<snip>

I don't have a strong opinion on whether WMF should or should not
accept Bitcoin donations.  However, even if we were to accept them, I
don't believe we should be collecting them.  As I believe is already
the case with most foreign currency donations, Bitcoins (if accepted)
should be exchanged for dollars shortly after being received.

Whatever else Bitcoins might be, they are certainly subject to rapid
variations in market prices and considerable uncertainty regarding the
future regulatory environment.  As such, as an investment, they would
have to be classed as highly speculative.  Some people have made a lot
of money off of Bitcoins, and some others may yet make a lot more, but
there is also the potential to lose a lot of value if regulatory fiats
or undiscovered flaws in the Bitcoin system cause their value to
plummet.  I don't think holding on to high-risk investment vehicles
makes sense for a non-profit that aims to make responsible use of
people's donations.

-Robert Rohde

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

David Levy-8
MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's funny, I just had a look at the wikimedia-l archive around January
> 2012... you know, that time when Wikipedia literally shut itself down as a
> political statement. The following month, the Wikimedia Foundation
> established a "Community Advocacy" department, not to be confused with
> lobbying, of which you're now a member.
>
> I can appreciate the many legitimate reasons to not accept Bitcoin and I'm
> grateful for your candid thoughts on the matter, but the idea that you, of
> all people, would try to claim that it might (gasp!) insert politics into
> Wikipedia is simply disrespectful to history and reality.

I interpreted James Alexander's statement to mean that it's "not our
job" and "not our role" to make the particular political statement
that Bitcoin's proponents seek.  This doesn't mean that it's *never*
okay for us to engage in advocacy of a political nature, particularly
existence.  (Whether SOPA and PIPA actually posed a significant threat
is debatable, but the action in question stemmed from the belief that
they did.)

David Levy

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

David Cuenca Tudela
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Robert Rohde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Has there been any discussion about simply accepting Bitcoins but not
> > exchanging them?
> <snip>
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on whether WMF should or should not
> accept Bitcoin donations.  However, even if we were to accept them, I
> don't believe we should be collecting them.  As I believe is already
> the case with most foreign currency donations, Bitcoins (if accepted)
> should be exchanged for dollars shortly after being received.

In my opinon this whole bitcoin debate is framed incorrectly. The question
is not if it should be accepted or not, but which parameters make any
currency or payment method acceptable.

If I had to name a few, I would say:
* less than 10% variation against WOCU (or any other currency basket) last
fiscal year
* at least 10b USD transaction volume last fiscal year

I don't have any preference for or against bitcoin either, but I think any
payment method should fulfill certain stability requirements. Once bitcoin
or any other currency fullfills those requirements (the ones I have
mentioned or others), it should be accepted.

Cheers,
Micru

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Cuenca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my opinon this whole bitcoin debate is framed incorrectly. The question
> is not if it should be accepted or not, but which parameters make any
> currency or payment method acceptable.
>
> If I had to name a few, I would say:
> * less than 10% variation against WOCU (or any other currency basket) last
> fiscal year
> * at least 10b USD transaction volume last fiscal year
>
> I don't have any preference for or against bitcoin either, but I think any
> payment method should fulfill certain stability requirements. Once bitcoin
> or any other currency fullfills those requirements (the ones I have
> mentioned or others), it should be accepted.
>
> Cheers,
> Micru

It'd be simpler to state that the major factor in accepting a new payment
type is enabling donors who otherwise might not be able to donate. Adding a
currency with a small constituency might make sense, even if the currency
is unstable, if it permits donations from supporters in their native
currency. Bitcoin isn't native currency for anyone, and anyone who wishes
to make a Bitcoin donation could certainly do so using a more standard
currency.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Jake Orlowitz
I can think of a few reasons why we should accept bitcoin:

* It's consistent with our leadership in internet technology
* Our peers like EFF, and Internet archive accept it
* It's secured using the same kinds of encryption we rely on to maintain
user privacy
* It permits donations from countries that do not have Visa/Mastercard
services
* It has a fanatically loyal and growing following that is dying to give us
money in that currency

Most imporantly, current technology would permit us to accept bitcoin
without ever *holding* bitcoin.
Companies like BitPay ( https://bitpay.com/) and CoinBase (
https://coinbase.com/) are little different than accepting Visa,
Mastercard, or Paypal.  It's now possible for funds received as bitcoins to
be *immediately* converted to USD.

I don't think we should 'make a statement' by accepting bitcoin, I think
the currency is simply at the stage where it would be to our benefit to do
so.

Jake (Ocaasi)

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM, David Levy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's funny, I just had a look at the wikimedia-l archive around January
> > 2012... you know, that time when Wikipedia literally shut itself down as
> > political statement. The following month, the Wikimedia Foundation
> > established a "Community Advocacy" department, not to be confused with
> > lobbying, of which you're now a member.
> >
> > I can appreciate the many legitimate reasons to not accept Bitcoin and
> I'm
> > grateful for your candid thoughts on the matter, but the idea that you,
> of
> > all people, would try to claim that it might (gasp!) insert politics into
> > Wikipedia is simply disrespectful to history and reality.
>
> I interpreted James Alexander's statement to mean that it's "not our
> job" and "not our role" to make the particular political statement
> that Bitcoin's proponents seek.  This doesn't mean that it's *never*
> okay for us to engage in advocacy of a political nature, particularly
> existence.  (Whether SOPA and PIPA actually posed a significant threat
> is debatable, but the action in question stemmed from the belief that
> they did.)
>
> David Levy

David is right,

I think the SOPA/PIPA decision was the correct one in the end but I very
highly respect those who did not/do not think it was. Even there I was
highly uncomfortable making a strong political statement, especially using
the project, and had to wrestle with myself a fair bit before I did it.
There is no doubt that we, as an organization and a community, are not
'neutral' in everything but I think we should avoid being political unless
we think it directly effects us and we have thought deeply about it. I have
no issue with the foundation and community advocating for internet
privacy/copyright laws etc for example but even those we need to be very
picky about. I do not think this arrises to that level yet.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Jake Orlowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think we should 'make a statement' by accepting bitcoin, I think
> the currency is simply at the stage where it would be to our benefit to do
> so.
>
> Jake (Ocaasi)

Without getting into some of your other arguments at the moment because of
lack of time (through I don't agree with them all) I do think it's
impossible to avoid 'making a statement' here. Whenever we do something we
have to not only think about it from what 'we' are trying to make a
statement about but also how it will be viewed. I think it is guaranteed
that the commercial and non commercial community who has been pushing this
for 4+ years will see it as a huge win and approval for their methods and
that given their consistent strategies we will be used as a reason for many
others to sign on as well with our 'support' being paraded around.

If we're going to do it, we need to know it's going to be seen and used as
a statement  whether we want it to or not.

James

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

James Salsman-2
Hi Megan,

If someone wants to donate the harvestable platinum from an asteroid, would
you please make sure that an appropriately progressive excise tax is paid
to the ufohastings.com
concerns? Thanks muchly.

On 12/12/13 02:54, Nathan wrote:
> Bitcoin isn't native currency for anyone, and anyone who wishes
> to make a Bitcoin donation could certainly do so using a more standard
> currency.

Well, this article from a year ago argues that bitcoin is "safer" for
donors than donating national currency:

<http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/29/wikipedia-accepts-enemies-of-the-internet-currencies/>

"But just don’t try to donate safely in bitcoin — it’s not accepted."
[...]

"Accepting anonymous bitcoin in addition to political currencies can
be a way of declaring that freedom of speech still does matter."

I would think that if anonymity is the main concern, a transaction
system with a public log of all transactions would not be the best choice.

<https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity>

The obvious time-tested choice for anonymous payment is, of course,
cash. Many charities do accept cash donations. Cash could be donated
to the local chapter by dropping it into a donation box, then it could
be either spent on local programs or forwarded to WMF.

-- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Chris Keating-2
Other forms of money we do not currently accept include gold coins, Yap
money, Tesco Clubcard Points,  cowrie shells and cattle.

We could accept any of them in theory.

Though if anyone wants to donate a herd of cattle to Wikimedia UK please
could they contact the office in advance.

Chris