[Wikimedia-l] List management

Austin Hair
We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.

Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
a prolonged silence.

I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Shani Evenstein
I can do it if necessary.

Shani.

J.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

J.
Hi, Austin. Is the position reactive or is it proactive?

What is the average time investment per month?

* "A student rescued from juvenile hall by a counselor and his English teacher must learn to trust his new friends."

Cheers! Wayne Calhoon
{{u|Checkingfax}}

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators.
>
> I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
> thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
> This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
> requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Austin Hair
A few reminders/clarifications:

New subscribers are moderated by default. Once they've proven not to
be spammers or trolls, they get whitelisted. Meanwhile, this does
involve active moderation.

It also requires mature judgment. This list is as laissez-faire as we
can keep it, but occasionally threads get out of control or people
need to be temporarily muted so they can sleep on things.

This is basically an "on-call" position. Set up a notification on your
phone and you should be good, but that will happen several times a
day. The ideal turnaround time should be three hours, max. (I forgot
to mention it in my original post, but staggering time zones is a
goal.) If enough good candidates arise, we may end up with 4-5
moderators. Again, TSBNBD.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Pine W
I regret seeing THO fade away. I found him to be likable, polite, and
competent.

I think well of Shani, and as she already has some experience with
moderation duties, I would like to second her (self-)nomination.

Pine

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
> to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
> admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.
>
> Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
> his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
> a prolonged silence.
>
> I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
> thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
> This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
> requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Joseph Fox
Thehelpfulone hasn't died. :) He's been hugely busy in real life, is all.

Joe.

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 at 21:25 Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret seeing THO fade away. I found him to be likable, polite, and
> competent.
>
> I think well of Shani, and as she already has some experience with
> moderation duties, I would like to second her (self-)nomination.
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
> > to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
> > admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.
> >
> > Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
> > his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
> > a prolonged silence.
> >
> > I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
> > thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
> > This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
> > requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
> >
> > Austin

This is a volunteer email address. Messages from here are in a personal
capacity and do not reflect the views of the Wikimedia Foundation.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thehelpfulone hasn't died. :) He's been hugely busy in real life, is all.

Please don't take my factual statement (sorry, law student) to be
throwing shade on THO. He's a great guy, and I understand that of late
he hasn't had the time to commit to this particular job.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Alessandro Marchetti
Hi,is there a link where a generic subscriber can find a ("decently" updated) list of sysops? in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Administration I find no specific information about that. Is this on purpose?
Also how can we know what are their "usual time zones" if we want a profile to apply to fit a gap? I mean, can you give us a disaggregated analysis, such as "currently two are UTC+1, two are UTC-6 and one is UTC+2". Just curious.

    Il Giovedì 9 Febbraio 2017 6:26, Pine W <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

 I regret seeing THO fade away. I found him to be likable, polite, and
competent.

I think well of Shani, and as she already has some experience with
moderation duties, I would like to second her (self-)nomination.

Pine

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
> to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
> admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.
>
> Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
> his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
> a prolonged silence.
>
> I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
> thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
> This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
> requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
>
> Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Katie Chan
The individual mailman list page shows the email address of all the list
admins near the bottom:

"XYZ list run by ADM1 at email.com, ADM2 at email.com"

KTC

On 09/02/2017 05:48, Alessandro Marchetti wrote:

> Hi,is there a link where a generic subscriber can find a ("decently" updated) list of sysops? in https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Administration I find no specific information about that. Is this on purpose?
> Also how can we know what are their "usual time zones" if we want a profile to apply to fit a gap? I mean, can you give us a disaggregated analysis, such as "currently two are UTC+1, two are UTC-6 and one is UTC+2". Just curious.
>
>     Il Giovedì 9 Febbraio 2017 6:26, Pine W <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>

>  I regret seeing THO fade away. I found him to be likable, polite, and
> competent.
>
> I think well of Shani, and as she already has some experience with
> moderation duties, I would like to second her (self-)nomination.
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
>> to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
>> admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.
>>
>> Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
>> his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
>> a prolonged silence.
>>
>> I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
>> thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
>> This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
>> requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
>>
>> Austin

Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
author is associated with or employed by.

     - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Austin Hair
I didn't receive this message at all, but yes, Alessandro raises two
good points.

I'm UTC+(1|2), and Asaf is UTC-(7|8). The time zone really isn't a
deciding factor—it's a "nice to have."

As Katie said, the Mailman page is current. If there's a wiki page out
there with incorrect information, let me know, or just fix it
yourself. :)

Austin

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The individual mailman list page shows the email address of all the list
> admins near the bottom:
>
> "XYZ list run by ADM1 at email.com, ADM2 at email.com"
>
> KTC
>
> On 09/02/2017 05:48, Alessandro Marchetti wrote:
>>
>> Hi,is there a link where a generic subscriber can find a ("decently"
>> updated) list of sysops? in
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Administration I find no
>> specific information about that. Is this on purpose?
>> Also how can we know what are their "usual time zones" if we want a
>> profile to apply to fit a gap? I mean, can you give us a disaggregated
>> analysis, such as "currently two are UTC+1, two are UTC-6 and one is UTC+2".
>> Just curious.
>>

>>     Il Giovedì 9 Febbraio 2017 6:26, Pine W <[hidden email]> ha
>> scritto:
>>

>>  I regret seeing THO fade away. I found him to be likable, polite, and
>> competent.
>>
>> I think well of Shani, and as she already has some experience with
>> moderation duties, I would like to second her (self-)nomination.
>>
>> Pine
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> We've just had a bit of turnover of our list administrators. In order
>>> to get moderation going smoothly again, I've added Asaf Bartov as an
>>> admin. I don't think that decision will be controversial.
>>>
>>> Richard has resigned for his own reasons, after putting in more than
>>> his fair share of work here. Thehelpfulone has been removed following
>>> a prolonged silence.
>>>
>>> I would like a third active moderator. You can volunteer on this
>>> thread, or send a message to [hidden email].
>>> This should be No Big Deal, and while there are technically no
>>> requirements, getting the reference is a bonus.
>>>
>>> Austin

> Katie Chan
> Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
> author is associated with or employed by.
>

> Experience is a good school but the fees are high.
>     - Heinrich Heine
>
> ---

Re: [Wikimedia-l] List management

Alessandro Marchetti
Thank you for the answers. Good luck with the candidates :)