[Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

jmh649
A new logo for the travel guide is being requested. If anyone is interested
in proposing one please add it here
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Lodewijk
Hi James,

I would suggest to wait with the vote until the name of the project is
known definitively. What the name looks like could influence the design. So
my suggested timeline would be to give 3 more days after the definitive
decision by the WMF legal counsel on the name to submit/change designs, and
then start voting.

Best,
Lodewijk

2012/10/5 James Heilman <[hidden email]>

> A new logo for the travel guide is being requested. If anyone is interested
> in proposing one please add it here
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Rjd0060 -
I mentioned this at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Travel_Guide/Logo#Timing as well.
 I'm not sure I understand the response so far but we'll see. :-)

---
Ryan
User:Rjd0060

On 5 October 2012 11:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new logo for the travel guide is being requested. If anyone is interested
> in proposing one please add it here
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo

Oliver suggested we ask b3ta. I wholeheartedly concur.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Mike DuPont
well i just have a concept here, it can be easily changed when the name
changes if people like the idea
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo#Option_3
svg source is also linked
[image: Inline image 1]

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I would suggest to wait with the vote until the name of the project is
> known definitively. What the name looks like could influence the design. So
> my suggested timeline would be to give 3 more days after the definitive
> decision by the WMF legal counsel on the name to submit/change designs, and
> then start voting.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> 2012/10/5 James Heilman <[hidden email]>
>
> > A new logo for the travel guide is being requested. If anyone is
> interested
> > in proposing one please add it here
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Lodewijk
I'm also having a hard time to understand the argument "No sufficient
time"... Apparently James has a sense of urgency, but I'm unsure /why/
there is such a hurry that a few extra days/weeks is out of the question.

Lodewijk

2012/10/5 Rjd0060 <[hidden email]>

> I mentioned this at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Travel_Guide/Logo#Timing as well.
>  I'm not sure I understand the response so far but we'll see. :-)
>
> ---
> Ryan
> User:Rjd0060
>

> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I would suggest to wait with the vote until the name of the project is
> > known definitively. What the name looks like could influence the design.
> So
> > my suggested timeline would be to give 3 more days after the definitive
> > decision by the WMF legal counsel on the name to submit/change designs,
> and
> > then start voting.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > 2012/10/5 James Heilman <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> A new logo for the travel guide is being requested. If anyone is
> interested
> >> in proposing one please add it here
> >> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Travel_Guide/Logo
> >>
> >> --
> >> James Heilman
> >> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >>
> >> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> >> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

James Forrester-5
On 5 October 2012 14:57, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm also having a hard time to understand the argument "No sufficient
> time"... Apparently James has a sense of urgency, but I'm unsure /why/
> there is such a hurry that a few extra days/weeks is out of the question.

Indeed. After all, we ran Wikipedia with a temporary logo for nearly
three years... :-)

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

jmh649
Okay I guess it would be nice but not necessary to have a new logo
for launch. It is fairly clear at this point what name the new project will
be going with. Thus I see no reason why we cannot begin looking at logos
now.

James Heilman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Lodewijk
I don't object to look at it - please do :) I just suggest to delay the
voting (and submission deadline) until a few days after the formal decision
has been made by the Legal Counsel.

Lodewijk

2012/10/6 James Heilman <[hidden email]>

> Okay I guess it would be nice but not necessary to have a new logo
> for launch. It is fairly clear at this point what name the new project will
> be going with. Thus I see no reason why we cannot begin looking at logos
> now.
>
> James Heilman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Mike DuPont
please consider my latest logo :
[image: Inline image 1]

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I don't object to look at it - please do :) I just suggest to delay the
> voting (and submission deadline) until a few days after the formal decision
> has been made by the Legal Counsel.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2012/10/6 James Heilman <[hidden email]>
>
> > Okay I guess it would be nice but not necessary to have a new logo
> > for launch. It is fairly clear at this point what name the new project
> will
> > be going with. Thus I see no reason why we cannot begin looking at logos
> > now.
> >
> > James Heilman

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Ziko van Dijk-2
Hello,

It is not absolutely necessary to wait until we know the name because
it will be later added simply to the logo.
I like those compass needle versions, by the way. The logo should be
not too complicated, and include the colours of Wikimedia.

Kind regards
Ziko

2012/10/6 Mike  Dupont <[hidden email]>:

> please consider my latest logo :
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I don't object to look at it - please do :) I just suggest to delay the
>> voting (and submission deadline) until a few days after the formal decision
>> has been made by the Legal Counsel.
>>
>> Lodewijk
>>
>> 2012/10/6 James Heilman <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > Okay I guess it would be nice but not necessary to have a new logo
>> > for launch. It is fairly clear at this point what name the new project
>> will
>> > be going with. Thus I see no reason why we cannot begin looking at logos
>> > now.
>> >
>> > James Heilman

> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Mike DuPont
thanks for the feeback
I can color the backpack in those colors, and also can change the text at
any time

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It is not absolutely necessary to wait until we know the name because
> it will be later added simply to the logo.
> I like those compass needle versions, by the way. The logo should be
> not too complicated, and include the colours of Wikimedia.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> 2012/10/6 Mike  Dupont <[hidden email]>:
> > please consider my latest logo :
> > [image: Inline image 1]
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I don't object to look at it - please do :) I just suggest to delay the
> >> voting (and submission deadline) until a few days after the formal
> decision
> >> has been made by the Legal Counsel.
> >>
> >> Lodewijk

> >> will
> logos

> > James Michael DuPont
> > Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> > Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> > Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> > Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> > Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow
> http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Mike DuPont
Here is my new suggestion with the colors, and the backpack has a wikipedia
patch on it :
[image: Inline image 1]

here is the version without the patch in case someone thinks it might be a
problem to include it :
[image: Inline image 2]

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Mike Dupont <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> thanks for the feeback
> I can color the backpack in those colors, and also can change the text at
> any time
>

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It is not absolutely necessary to wait until we know the name because
>> it will be later added simply to the logo.
>> I like those compass needle versions, by the way. The logo should be
>> not too complicated, and include the colours of Wikimedia.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Ziko
>>
>> 2012/10/6 Mike  Dupont <[hidden email]>:
>> > please consider my latest logo :
>> > [image: Inline image 1]

>> decision

>> project
>> logos

>> > --
>> > James Michael DuPont
>> > Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
>> > Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
>> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
>> > Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
>> > Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
>> > Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow
>> http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3
>>

>> --

>> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
>> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
>> http://wmnederland.nl/
>>
>> Wikimedia Nederland
>> Postbus 167
>> 3500 AD Utrecht

> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

--
James Michael DuPont
Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined

cyrano
It looks like those guys are waiting for a WMF or community move. Is
there a discussion about them?

http://www.wikipediaredefined.com/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined

Jon Harald Søby
Yeah, check out this thread from August:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-August/121641.html

2012/10/7 cyrano <[hidden email]>

> It looks like those guys are waiting for a WMF or community move. Is
> there a discussion about them?
>
> http://www.wikipediaredefined.com/

mvh
Jon Harald Søby <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Lodewijk
Hi mike,

you do realize that all images are stripped on this mailing list? If you
want to mention images, it is best to link to the version on Commons
(although I don't feel that the mailing list is an effective place to
discuss this at all)

Best,
Lodewijk

2012/10/7 Mike Dupont <[hidden email]>

> Here is my new suggestion with the colors, and the backpack has a wikipedia
> patch on it :
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> here is the version without the patch in case someone thinks it might be a
> problem to include it :
> [image: Inline image 2]
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Mike Dupont <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > thanks for the feeback
> > I can color the backpack in those colors, and also can change the text at
> > any time
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> It is not absolutely necessary to wait until we know the name because
> >> it will be later added simply to the logo.
> >> I like those compass needle versions, by the way. The logo should be
> >> not too complicated, and include the colours of Wikimedia.
> >>
> >> Kind regards
> >> Ziko

> the
> >> decision

> >> project
> >> logos

> >> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> >> http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3
> >>

> >> --

> >> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> >> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> >> http://wmnederland.nl/
> >>
> >> Wikimedia Nederland
> >> Postbus 167
> >> 3500 AD Utrecht

> > James Michael DuPont
> > Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> > Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
> > http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> > Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> > Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> > Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow
> http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3
> >

> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Saving wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion
> http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
> Free Software Foundation Europe Fellow http://fsfe.org/support/?h4ck3rm1k3

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Logo for new travel guide

Mike DuPont
no i did not know that thanks. To be honest, i like mailing lists over
wikis for discussions , but that is just me :D
mike