Quantcast

[Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

[Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Katherine Maher
Hi all,

cycle 2 is delayed until next week.*

Thank you for your contributions! We have been hard at work reading,
sorting, and summarizing more than 1,800 community member statements, from
more than 100 community discussions from across five continents. Each of
these statements was a response to the question: "What do we want to build
or achieve together over the next 15 years?"

You can find the full report on the major themes, and more details about
them, in a summarized report on Meta-Wiki.[1]

Some common themes emerged from these conversations:

* Reliable, neutral, high-quality content
* Community health & support
* Internal & external collaboration
* Improved and new features
* Users, editors, & contributors
* Outreach, awareness, & promotion
* Innovation and adaptation
* Funding, staffing, and other organizational needs
* Support for emerging communities
* Advancing Wikipedia in education
* Movement values
* Sustainability & growth

Each of these themes is described in more detail within the body of the
report,[1] and the full data spreadsheet from this analysis will be posted
soon.

The movement strategy team has been working to group these themes together,
so that we have a smaller number of concepts to consider in the next cycle.
Because this work is important, we want to make sure the grouping and
analysis are comprehensive and thoughtful. In order to make sure we can get
it right, we’re delaying the start of cycle 2 discussions until next week.

As you probably know, the Turkish authorities blocked Wikipedia in Turkey
this week.[2] We’ve been working around the clock to understand the
circumstances and respond appropriately, including appealing in Turkish
court. We’re grateful to everyone who has reached out to offer us your
thoughts and perspective. Government limitations on free knowledge are just
one of the critical issues that have come up during the movement strategy
process. As we confront these challenges in real time, it has been a
reminder for me how important our work is, and how it has very real
implications for people around the globe. Again, thank you.

Kendine iyi bak (Turkish translation: “Take care of yourself”),

Katherine

PS. A version of this message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.[3]

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Cycle_1/Report
[2]
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/30/turkish-authorities-block-wikipedia/
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Updates/5_May_2017_-_Update_15_on_Wikimedia_movement_strategy_process

--
Katherine Maher

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

jmh649
The issues occurring in Turkey highlight that we may also need to keep in
mind:

* Access

over the next 15 years. Where access is not only potentially hindered by
governments but also technical and monetary realities in various country
and region. We of course have already worked and continue to do work in
this area with initiatives like Wikipedia Zero and Offline Wikipedia /
Kiwix.

James

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> one of the critical issues that have come up during the movement strategy
> process. As we confront these challenges in real time, it has been a
> reminder for me how important our work is, and how it has very real
> implications for people around the globe. Again, thank you.
>
> Kendine iyi bak (Turkish translation: “Take care of yourself”),
>
> Katherine
>
> PS. A version of this message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.[3]
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
> movement/2017/Cycle_1/Report
> [2]
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/30/turkish-authorities-block-wikipedia/
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
> movement/2017/Updates/5_May_2017_-_Update_15_on_Wikimedia_

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Yup. It would be interesting to ponder if wiki app could channel through
Tor by default - in the spirit of The Guardian project. Informing users
about Tor benefits has obvious disavantages related to the fact that most
people will not be able to grasp it.

Dariusz Jemielniak

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:26 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > one of the critical issues that have come up during the movement strategy
> > process. As we confront these challenges in real time, it has been a
> > reminder for me how important our work is, and how it has very real
> > implications for people around the globe. Again, thank you.
> >
> > Kendine iyi bak (Turkish translation: “Take care of yourself”),
> >
> > Katherine
> >
> > PS. A version of this message is available for translation on
> Meta-Wiki.[3]
> >
> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
> > movement/2017/Cycle_1/Report
> > [2]
> > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/30/turkish-
> authorities-block-wikipedia/
> > [3]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_
> > movement/2017/Updates/5_May_2017_-_Update_15_on_Wikimedia_

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i grupy badawczej NeRDS
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard:
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
The Wikipedian:
http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Gabriel Thullen
I agree with James that we need to encourage initiatives like Kiwix
Wikipedia Zero. We need to be able to distribute Kiwix in countries that
have blocked Wikipedia, because it is no big deal for a government to block
the Kiwix.org site as well, and phone operators providing Wikipedia Zero
will have to obey government injunctions. Chances are that a block on
kiwix.org will hardly be noticed by our community. Looks like the good old
sneakernet with USB flash drives is still a viable option...

Gabe

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> kierownik katedry Zarządzania Międzynarodowego
> i grupy badawczej NeRDS
> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl
>
> członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
>
> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
>
> Recenzje
> Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> Pacific Standard:
> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> The Wikipedian:
> http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Ilario Valdelli
In these cases the big advantage is the capacity to be cloned. A
governement can block an ip or a domain but it would be hard to block
internet.

The good approach is to invite the web to host kiwix and zim files for
downloading. That would be easier than cloning Wikipedia content.

However that approach will save readers but not writers.

Kind regards

Il 07 Mag 2017 23:36, "Gabriel Thullen" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> > i grupy badawczej NeRDS
> > Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> > http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl
> >
> > członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> >
> > Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> > Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> > autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
> >
> > Recenzje
> > Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> > Pacific Standard:
> > http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/
> killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-
> wikipedia
> > The Wikipedian:
> > http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Bodhisattwa Mandal
We need to promote Kiwix - definitely, but should we promote Wikipedia
zero? May be not, unless the issue of net neutrality is clearly addressed.
We need to remember that some countries had to ban different zero services,
as they clearly violated net neutrality and people were against them.

Regards
On May 8, 2017 1:23 PM, "Ilario Valdelli" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > i grupy badawczej NeRDS
> > > Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> > > http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl
> > >
> > > członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> > >
> > > Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> > > Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> > > autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
> > >
> > > Recenzje
> > > Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> > > Pacific Standard:
> > > http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/
> > killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > > Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-
> > wikipedia
> > > The Wikipedian:
> > > http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-
> common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Yes, we need to promote Kiwix. We need to ensure that people with no
internet access can get Kiwix and that means that we do need to "clone
Wikipedia content".
It is quite expensive to download Kiwix because of the huge data charge
that it implies, and it also takes for ever with a poor connection. We tend
to forget that when we live in countries where we have 24H 7/7 unlimited
internet...

Best regards
Gabe

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Bodhisattwa Mandal <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> of
> > > the
> be

> > next
> > and
> we
> > > can
> > next

> in
> the
> > > Turkish
> > > your
> knowledge
> > > are
> been
> real

> > unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>

> > > killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > > wikipedia
> > common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

Yes but we are speaking about Turkey.

Kiwix is offline but also *portable*. It's sufficient to download once and
to distribute many times.

Kind regards

Il 08 Mag 2017 12:11, "Gabriel Thullen" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> will
> > be

> themes
> > > next
> grouping
> > > and
> sure
> > we
> > > next

> > in
> > the
> us
> > knowledge
> movement
> > been
> > real

> > > unsubscribe>

> > unsubscribe>

> An

> > > common-knowledge
> unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] May 5: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#15)

We need to have develop apks (the file format for an app) that can be
passed around by USB stick or other method and yes more mirrors are
important. We need to make it clear that it is impossible to suppress open
content :-)

James