[Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Fæ
It has now been over a year that my email address was put on
moderation (perhaps someone would like to provide a date, I have not
trawled the archives). In the absence of any appeal process, I ask
that this is lifted.

My most recent email to this list has yet to be posted, it has been
waiting for 9 days. Waiting for several days or over a week is now the
norm for my rare posts to list. Though not one of my emails has ever
been rejected from publication, this effectively makes communication
impossible and amounts to an effective ban after being black-balled.

Based on timing, I was put on moderation apparently due to Russavia's
incivil posts to Wikimedia-l, not because of any email I have ever
posted to this list that anyone can provide a link to, nor for any
reason of incivility on my part. If I am to remain forever on
moderation I ask that a clear rationale be given so that I can change
the wording I use in emails to met whatever the list moderators
believe is needed. At the current time I am completely in the dark as
nobody will discuss this with me or provide examples.

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Ad Huikeshoven
Hi all and Fae,

One, I'm not a moderator on this list. Two, I do support civility and
friendly space policies, Three, let's assume good faith, Four, Fae asks to
be unmoderated and or asks for a rationale for moderation, Five I would
like to see a rationale myself and or unmoderation of Fae.

Have a nice and special Sunday,

Ad

Ad Huikeshoven

Bestuurslid / Board member Wikimedia Nederland
Internationaal / International Affairs
Gemeenschap / Community

tel.    (+31) (0)70 3608510
mob. (+31) (0)6 40293574

Steun vrije kennis! Kijk op wikimedia.nl
<http://www.wikimedia.nl/pagina/doneren-aan-wikimedia-nederland>
*Postadres*:                                                 * Bezoekadres:*
Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht

ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> It has now been over a year that my email address was put on
> moderation (perhaps someone would like to provide a date, I have not
> trawled the archives). In the absence of any appeal process, I ask
> that this is lifted.
>
> My most recent email to this list has yet to be posted, it has been
> waiting for 9 days. Waiting for several days or over a week is now the
> norm for my rare posts to list. Though not one of my emails has ever
> been rejected from publication, this effectively makes communication
> impossible and amounts to an effective ban after being black-balled.
>
> Based on timing, I was put on moderation apparently due to Russavia's
> incivil posts to Wikimedia-l, not because of any email I have ever
> posted to this list that anyone can provide a link to, nor for any
> reason of incivility on my part. If I am to remain forever on
> moderation I ask that a clear rationale be given so that I can change
> the wording I use in emails to met whatever the list moderators
> believe is needed. At the current time I am completely in the dark as
> nobody will discuss this with me or provide examples.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Rui Correia-2
Dear Ad

What exactly was that about?
In what way has that contributed anything?

Puzzled,

> Hi all and Fae,
>
> One, I'm not a moderator on this list. Two, I do support civility and
> friendly space policies, Three, let's assume good faith, Four, Fae asks to
> be unmoderated and or asks for a rationale for moderation, Five I would
> like to see a rationale myself and or unmoderation of Fae.
>
> Have a nice and special Sunday,
>
> Ad
>
> Ad Huikeshoven
>
> Bestuurslid / Board member Wikimedia Nederland
> Internationaal / International Affairs
> Gemeenschap / Community
>
> tel.    (+31) (0)70 3608510
> mob. (+31) (0)6 40293574
>
> Steun vrije kennis! Kijk op wikimedia.nl
> <http://www.wikimedia.nl/pagina/doneren-aan-wikimedia-nederland>
> *Postadres*:                                                 *
> Bezoekadres:*
> Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
> 3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht
>
> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

> > It has now been over a year that my email address was put on
> > moderation (perhaps someone would like to provide a date, I have not
> > trawled the archives). In the absence of any appeal process, I ask
> > that this is lifted.
> >
> > My most recent email to this list has yet to be posted, it has been
> > waiting for 9 days. Waiting for several days or over a week is now the
> > norm for my rare posts to list. Though not one of my emails has ever
> > been rejected from publication, this effectively makes communication
> > impossible and amounts to an effective ban after being black-balled.
> >
> > Based on timing, I was put on moderation apparently due to Russavia's
> > incivil posts to Wikimedia-l, not because of any email I have ever
> > posted to this list that anyone can provide a link to, nor for any
> > reason of incivility on my part. If I am to remain forever on
> > moderation I ask that a clear rationale be given so that I can change
> > the wording I use in emails to met whatever the list moderators
> > believe is needed. At the current time I am completely in the dark as
> > nobody will discuss this with me or provide examples.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fae
> > --
> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

_________________________
Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Fæ
Sorry, there was a typo there. I intended this to go to wikimediauk-l
where I have been on moderation since last year.

Thanks,
Fae

On 24 May 2015 at 13:59, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It has now been over a year that my email address was put on
> moderation (perhaps someone would like to provide a date, I have not
> trawled the archives). In the absence of any appeal process, I ask
> that this is lifted.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Austin Hair
On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, there was a typo there. I intended this to go to wikimediauk-l
> where I have been on moderation since last year.

That's a relief. The first thing I did when I saw this topic was log
into mailman, both because I was sure you hadn't been on moderation
here for months, and because I hadn't been notified of any new
messages in the queue.

Good luck. I'd vouch for you if I thought it'd make a difference.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Fae

Jane Darnell
I'll second that! (or third it, if that is what Ad's mail actually meant)

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry, there was a typo there. I intended this to go to wikimediauk-l
> > where I have been on moderation since last year.
>
> That's a relief. The first thing I did when I saw this topic was log
> into mailman, both because I was sure you hadn't been on moderation
> here for months, and because I hadn't been notified of any new
> messages in the queue.
>
> Good luck. I'd vouch for you if I thought it'd make a difference.
>
> Austin

[Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Trillium Corsage, was Re: Moderation of Fae

Trillium Corsage
I wasn't going to join in, not wanting to affect Fae's situation with my own, but reading the latest emails he was actually concerned with the UK list, so I'll go ahead.

Would someone mind taking me off moderation as well? I see what the issue was in the first place, and will not do it again. I think it has been much more than a year since then.

Beyond my own case, I echo Fae that there really should be some sort of process and communication with the moderated user about A) what precisely he or she did, B) whether the moderation is permanent, and C) what he or she can do to become unmoderated again.

Trillium Corsage

24.05.2015, 14:07, "Ad Huikeshoven" <email clipped>:

> Hi all and Fae,
>
> One, I'm not a moderator on this list. Two, I do support civility and
> friendly space policies, Three, let's assume good faith, Four, Fae asks to
> be unmoderated and or asks for a rationale for moderation, Five I would
> like to see a rationale myself and or unmoderation of Fae.
>
> Have a nice and special Sunday,
>
> Ad
>
> Ad Huikeshoven
>
> Bestuurslid / Board member Wikimedia Nederland
> Internationaal / International Affairs
> Gemeenschap / Community
>
> tel.    (+31) (0)70 3608510
> mob. (+31) (0)6 40293574
>
> Steun vrije kennis! Kijk op wikimedia.nl
> <http://www.wikimedia.nl/pagina/doneren-aan-wikimedia-nederland>
> *Postadres*:                                                 * Bezoekadres:*
> Postbus 167                                                Mariaplaats 3
> 3500 AD  Utrecht                                         Utrecht
>
> ABNAMRO NL33 ABNA 0497164833 - Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

>>  It has now been over a year that my email address was put on
>>  moderation (perhaps someone would like to provide a date, I have not
>>  trawled the archives). In the absence of any appeal process, I ask
>>  that this is lifted.
>>
>>  My most recent email to this list has yet to be posted, it has been
>>  waiting for 9 days. Waiting for several days or over a week is now the
>>  norm for my rare posts to list. Though not one of my emails has ever
>>  been rejected from publication, this effectively makes communication
>>  impossible and amounts to an effective ban after being black-balled.
>>
>>  Based on timing, I was put on moderation apparently due to Russavia's
>>  incivil posts to Wikimedia-l, not because of any email I have ever
>>  posted to this list that anyone can provide a link to, nor for any
>>  reason of incivility on my part. If I am to remain forever on
>>  moderation I ask that a clear rationale be given so that I can change
>>  the wording I use in emails to met whatever the list moderators
>>  believe is needed. At the current time I am completely in the dark as
>>  nobody will discuss this with me or provide examples.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Fae
>>  --
>>  [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of Trillium Corsage, was Re: Moderation of Fae

Austin Hair
On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Trillium Corsage
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wasn't going to join in, not wanting to affect Fae's situation with my own, but reading the latest emails he was actually concerned with the UK list, so I'll go ahead.
>
> Would someone mind taking me off moderation as well? I see what the issue was in the first place, and will not do it again. I think it has been much more than a year since then.

Fair enough. You've definitely been more civil of late, so this is a
totally reasonable request.

> Beyond my own case, I echo Fae that there really should be some sort of process and communication with the moderated user about A) what precisely he or she did, B) whether the moderation is permanent, and C) what he or she can do to become unmoderated again.

I try to be as open and direct as possible about this when I moderate
somebody with cause—as opposed to simply being moderated by default,
which is the case for all new subscribers. Regardless of why
somebody's flagged for moderation, the way to change that is basically
the same: be nice, and a moderator will probably unflag you when you
either ask or he's see you come through the queue enough to know that
you'll be civil and and won't (say) hijack the list in the name of
Elbonians Against Corruption or whoever they were.

Austin