[Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

[Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

Tomasz W. Kozłowski-2
Earlier today, I used the Gmane.org gateway to send a message to this
mailing list in response to the "Iraqi 2014 elections thread" started
by GerardM.

Here is the content of my message (typed from memory):

    Have you tried Google yet? It is a search engine that lets
    you search for information easily and accurately (most of
    the time).

    The Wikidata entry for Google is at
    <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q9366>.

    Hope this helps!

                    Tomasz

I was surprised to receive a notification saying that my e-mail was
rejected by an unnamed moderator (as all e-mails sent to the list
through Gmane have to be accepted before being sent on), with the
following reason: "Your message was deemed inappropriate by the
moderator."

I would like the unknown moderator to — please — explain to me what
was so inappropriate in my message that they had to reject it.

Thank you!
--
                Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Most of the time.. I cannot find it and I did use Google among other ways.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 21 June 2014 17:48, Tomasz W. Kozłowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Earlier today, I used the Gmane.org gateway to send a message to this
> mailing list in response to the "Iraqi 2014 elections thread" started
> by GerardM.
>
> Here is the content of my message (typed from memory):
>
>     Have you tried Google yet? It is a search engine that lets
>     you search for information easily and accurately (most of
>     the time).
>
>     The Wikidata entry for Google is at
>     <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q9366>.
>
>     Hope this helps!
>
>                     Tomasz
>
> I was surprised to receive a notification saying that my e-mail was
> rejected by an unnamed moderator (as all e-mails sent to the list
> through Gmane have to be accepted before being sent on), with the
> following reason: "Your message was deemed inappropriate by the
> moderator."
>
> I would like the unknown moderator to — please — explain to me what
> was so inappropriate in my message that they had to reject it.
>
> Thank you!
> --
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

Thomas Morton
At a guess; unpleasant snark.

Tom
On 21 Jun 2014 16:49, "Tomasz W. Kozłowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Earlier today, I used the Gmane.org gateway to send a message to this
> mailing list in response to the "Iraqi 2014 elections thread" started
> by GerardM.
>
> Here is the content of my message (typed from memory):
>
>     Have you tried Google yet? It is a search engine that lets
>     you search for information easily and accurately (most of
>     the time).
>
>     The Wikidata entry for Google is at
>     <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q9366>.
>
>     Hope this helps!
>
>                     Tomasz
>
> I was surprised to receive a notification saying that my e-mail was
> rejected by an unnamed moderator (as all e-mails sent to the list
> through Gmane have to be accepted before being sent on), with the
> following reason: "Your message was deemed inappropriate by the
> moderator."
>
> I would like the unknown moderator to — please — explain to me what
> was so inappropriate in my message that they had to reject it.
>
> Thank you!
> --
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

Dan Rosenthal
I might point out that I've perhaps needled GerardM more than most people
on this list (and even been moderated for it once years ago), but I find
his posts about WikiData interesting and I read them when I can. I think
Thomas Morton has a very good point though -- so if I may make a request:

 Whether the topic is Wikidata, or Wil, or Wikipediocracy, or pedophilia,
or whatever the drama was with Russavia, or Commons admins, or whatever it
is that raises hackles; can we all just be real for a second, and stop
feigning innocence/ignorance when we're trolling, being snarky, or posting
"innocent questions" that just so happen to cover a controversial topic, or
using misleading/distorted data to ask a pointed question? Seriously, this
list is becoming less like foundation-l and more like foxnews-l.

(To clarify this is not directed at Tomasz -- I'm just taking advantage of
his post to GerardM as being tangentially related.)

Dan

Dan Rosenthal

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Thomas Morton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> At a guess; unpleasant snark.
>
> Tom
> On 21 Jun 2014 16:49, "Tomasz W. Kozłowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Earlier today, I used the Gmane.org gateway to send a message to this
> > mailing list in response to the "Iraqi 2014 elections thread" started
> > by GerardM.
> >
> > Here is the content of my message (typed from memory):
> >
> >     Have you tried Google yet? It is a search engine that lets
> >     you search for information easily and accurately (most of
> >     the time).
> >
> >     The Wikidata entry for Google is at
> >     <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q9366>.
> >
> >     Hope this helps!
> >
> >                     Tomasz
> >
> > I was surprised to receive a notification saying that my e-mail was
> > rejected by an unnamed moderator (as all e-mails sent to the list
> > through Gmane have to be accepted before being sent on), with the
> > following reason: "Your message was deemed inappropriate by the
> > moderator."
> >
> > I would like the unknown moderator to — please — explain to me what
> > was so inappropriate in my message that they had to reject it.
> >
> > Thank you!
> > --
> >                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Moderation of messages sent to this list

Craig Franklin
On 22 June 2014 09:53, Dan Rosenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I might point out that I've perhaps needled GerardM more than most people
> on this list (and even been moderated for it once years ago), but I find
> his posts about WikiData interesting and I read them when I can. I think
> Thomas Morton has a very good point though -- so if I may make a request:
>
>  Whether the topic is Wikidata, or Wil, or Wikipediocracy, or pedophilia,
> or whatever the drama was with Russavia, or Commons admins, or whatever it
> is that raises hackles; can we all just be real for a second, and stop
> feigning innocence/ignorance when we're trolling, being snarky, or posting
> "innocent questions" that just so happen to cover a controversial topic, or
> using misleading/distorted data to ask a pointed question? Seriously, this
> list is becoming less like foundation-l and more like foxnews-l.
>
> (To clarify this is not directed at Tomasz -- I'm just taking advantage of
> his post to GerardM as being tangentially related.)
>
> Dan
>
> Dan Rosenthal

Agreed.  The "who, me?" level of passive-aggressive snark on the list is
way out of hand.  I'm glad the list moderators are taking a hard line
against it, and hopefully it will result in some useful communication
happening on this list again.  If you don't want to be moderated, then cut
the sarcasm and the personal attacks, it's not hard.

Regards,
Craig