[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

1234 ... 7

[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Nicole Ebber
Dear fellow Wikimedians,

They’re here! [1] We are delighted to announce the first round of
draft recommendations for structural change within our movement have
been published. The recommendations have been developed by the nine
Wikimedia 2030 working groups and are a key tool to help us build the
future of our movement.

Working group members have been working tirelessly for a year to
research the movement, analyze community input shared via community
conversations, and gain insight into external trends. A huge thank you
to each and every member for helping us reach this key milestone.

The draft recommendations are a first look at ways we can adapt our
movement’s structures to help us advance in our strategic direction.
They are the starting point for conversations about what kind of
future we want to create together.

The recommendations are not final. In order to get them to that stage,
your input is needed! We would like to hear from you all what these
changes would mean for you in your local or thematic context, what do
you like about them, and where you potentially see any red flags. And
of course, always critically question whether these recommendations
support the strategic direction.

There are a few ways to do this:
* Read through the recommendations online and provide your input
directly on Meta. [2]
* If you will be at Wikimania, join us in the Wikimedia 2030 space. [3]
* Attend a Strategy Salon hosted by an affiliate where you live. [4]
* Reach out to a Strategy Liaison in your language to share feedback,
or lead a conversation of your own. [5]

Over the next month, working groups will take the input they receive
into the recommendations, alongside external advice and research, and
use it to refine and finalize them. Share your views, and help shape
what Wikimedia will look like in 2030 and beyond.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to get in touch.

Best wishes,

Nicole

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
[3] https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Wikimedia_2030
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/2019_Community_Conversations/Strategy_Salons
[5] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/People/Community_Strategy_Liaisons

--
Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Ad Huikeshoven-2
Thank you Nicole, something to read and prepare for Wikimania,

Ad

Op vr 9 aug. 2019 20:37 schreef Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Ad Huikeshoven-3
The working groups created a summary of their recommendations in a
nutshell. They are published on meta. These orphan pages looked so lonely,
I collected them in an orphanage: Wikimedia 2030: Links to nutshells of
recommendations per working group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Orphanage>.

For ease of access, here are the separate links:
1.Advocacy Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Advocacy/Recommendations/Nutshell>
2.Capacity Building Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Capacity_Building/Recommendations/Nutshell>
3.Community Health Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Community_Health/Recommendations/Nutshell>
4.Diversity Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Diversity/Recommendations/Nutshell>
5.Partnerships Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Partnerships/Recommendations/Nutshell>
6.Product & Technology Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Product_%26_Technology/Recommendations/Nutshell>
7.Resource Allocation Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Resource_Allocation/Recommendations/Nutshell>
8.Revenue Streams Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Resource_Allocation/Recommendations/Nutshell>
9.Roles & Responsibilities Nutshell
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Roles_%26_Responsibilities/Recommendations/Nutshell>

Although in an orphanage, these orphans are still hungry, so please feed
them on their talk pages :)

Greetings,

Ad Huikeshoven

P.S. Please be-bold if you do feel the urge to rename or move the orphanage.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Szymon Grabarczuk
Hi Ad,

thanks for your support. These pages are definitely not orphans :) I'm
going to publish translations, add the list in a visible place, etc., but I
need to fix other stuff first. No worries, all of it will be done before
Monday.

P.S. Please give me a chance to move the orphanage. *{{In use}}*!

Z poważaniem / Kind regards

*Szymon Grabarczuk*
userpage: pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_Lócesilion
<http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_L%C3%B3cesilion>

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 13:28, Ad Huikeshoven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> > dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Todd Allen
There does not seem to be anywhere to comment on these, which there should
be. I saw at least one which is highly objectionable and which I would like
to object to.

Todd

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:37 PM Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

How about talk pages?

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 14:28, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> > dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Isaac Olatunde
I believe there are related discussion pages, Todd. Do you think there
should have been separate pages for discussion aside the talk pages?

Regards,

Isaac.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 2:29 PM Szymon Grabarczuk <[hidden email]
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nicole Ebber
> > > Adviser International Relations
> > > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > > https://wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > > Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> > > dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

(Response apparently wasn't sent to list previously.)

Yes, I think there ought to be a place to discuss the whole thing, as
several share a fatal flaw in that they advocate dictating to local
communities from above.

Is this getting announced anywhere other than on the mailing list? There is
a proposal in these to literally undermine Wikipedia's free content mission
by allowing nonfree licenses. (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Diversity/Recommendations/9)
Do you think, maybe, we shouldn't attempt to slip that through unnoticed
and uncommented?

For example, here's the notice that was left on Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AVillage_pump&type=revision&diff=360549650&oldid=360506118
.
It's totally anodyne, and gives absolutely no indication that such massive
changes, which would entirely strip the communities of autonomy, are
proposed there. For example, I suspect Commons might be just a bit
interested to know these proposals would force them to accept nonfree
content. If this is in any way an honest process, make sure the
announcements indicate how breathtakingly broad and destructive these
proposals are.

Todd

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 7:35 AM Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I believe there are related discussion pages, Todd. Do you think there
> should have been separate pages for discussion aside the talk pages?
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac.
>
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 2:29 PM Szymon Grabarczuk <[hidden email]
> wrote:
>
>> How about talk pages?
>>
>> Z poważaniem / Kind regards
>>
>> *Szymon Grabarczuk*
>> userpage: pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_Lócesilion
>> <http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_L%C3%B3cesilion>
>> <http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tar_L%C3%B3cesilion>
>>
>> ᐧ
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 14:28, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > There does not seem to be anywhere to comment on these, which there
>> should
>> > be. I saw at least one which is highly objectionable and which I would
>> like
>> > to object to.
>> >
>> > Todd

>> [3]

>> touch.

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
>> > >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
>> > >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/2019_Community_Conversations/Strategy_Salons
>> > >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/People/Community_Strategy_Liaisons

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Yury Bulka

Todd Allen <[hidden email]> writes:

> There does not seem to be anywhere to comment on these, which there should
> be. I saw at least one which is highly objectionable and which I would like
> to object to.
The Recommendations page contains a "How to Share Your Feedback"
section.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Fæ
I agree that the official announcement on Commons is worse than unfortunate.

The announcement by the Diversity Working Group on a sub-page of the
VP of their recommendation to permit NC and ND license restrictions on
Commons, comes after no attempt in advance to discuss the
recommendation or its wording with Wikimedia Commons community *on
Commons*. It is not helped by the poster being a volunteer with barely
any activity on Commons, so not the best person to discuss the future
of Commons with.
Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AVillage_pump%2FCopyright&type=revision&diff=361624891&oldid=361607626

The justifications for the change read as unsourced and arbitrary. In
particular there is no evidence that using Commons to host NC ND
material that may be important to minority communities, such as
traditional folk art, would help better to educate the public about
those arts when the same NC restriction would halt in its
tracks the general use of Commons by educators and universities. The
change in commons policies would have the consequence of advice to
educators being against using our media in lectures, study materials,
academic papers, academic books etc.

The Meta page that is linked to verges on being blatantly hostile to
the views of the Wikimedia Commons communities
* Q4a. Could this Recommendation have a negative impact/change?
* (Answer) All change has negative connotations to some members of the
community.
This appears deliberately flippant and provocative. Bizarre.

If the WMF sponsored recommendation is hostile up front, I do not see
much point in the community discussing the change, it may as well just
be mass voted down. Discussion when the team recommending the strategy
is openly hostile to "some members of the community" on its own
recommendations page, will only lead to more polarization of the WMF
versus everyone else type.

Fae

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 10:24, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that the official announcement on Commons is worse than unfortunate.
>
> The announcement by the Diversity Working Group on a sub-page of the
> VP of their recommendation to permit NC and ND license restrictions on
> Commons, comes after no attempt in advance to discuss the
> recommendation or its wording with Wikimedia Commons community *on
> Commons*.[...]
> Link: https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons%3AVillage_pump%2FCopyright&type=revision&diff=361624891&oldid=361607626

Correction: The note on VP/C was a volunteer's note, there was no
announcement by the Working Group.

To correct the absence of a Wikimedia Commons discussion about
recommendation to fundamentally change what Wikimedia Commons exists
for, the following proposal has been raised on Wikimedia Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Proposals#Proposal_to_introduce_Non-Commercial_media_on_Wikimedia_Commons

Everyone is free to add to discussion there, especially if there is
any verifiable evidence that allowing Non Commercial or No Derivatives
license constraints would enhance the mission of Wikimedia Commons
rather than hamper it.

I would be particularly interested to read the evidence and see a
(Wikimedia Commons) case book supporting the claim in the WG
recommendations that "Multiple studies have determined that extant
movement policies don’t just reflect the systemic biases, they make
biases against marginalized communities worse, in effect,
re-colonizing and oppressing diverse knowledge(ibid)" as the four
references given provide /no evidence/ about Wikimedia projects or
Wikimedia Commons in particular "re-colonizing", apart from
tangentially using a similar word and so is misrepresenting the
researchers and academics that wrote the referenced papers. Though I
would be sympathetic to the proper review of evidence when it comes to
decolonizing educational material, and taking action such as better
application of curation methods, this statement as written appears
unsourced political spin and is highly inappropriate from a WMF
sponsored working group.

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Philip Kopetzky
I'm pretty sure that that licensing recommendation is still
work-in-progress and the legal implications haven't been analysed yet.

I guess that assuming good faith is not your strong suit, Fae? Be part of
the solution, for once.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 11:53, Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that that licensing recommendation is still
> work-in-progress and the legal implications haven't been analysed yet.

Huh. Nobody has mentioned legal implications. Not sure there are any
that would be especially different to the challenges that Commons
volunteers handle every day with the current available licenses.

> I guess that assuming good faith is not your strong suit, Fae? Be part of
> the solution, for once.

Maybe you can focus on the points being raised, like how a case book
would actually help make a case for change, rather than hostile
character assassination against folks writing to this list? That would
be super, and show that you are also part of a "solution", though in
this case an actual verifiable "problem" has yet to be identified that
this particular recommendation might fix.

Thanks,
Fae

> [...]
> > And
> > recommendations

> > space.
> > [4]
> > feedback,

> > receive
> > and
> > shape

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> > > >> > >

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> > > >> > >

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/2019_Community_Conversations/Strategy_Salons
> > > >> > >

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/People/Community_Strategy_Liaisons

> > Berlin

> > e.

> > ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Please don't generalise frustration with your conduct on this list. You're
the only one telling people to shut up here.

And just to keep this on track, what is your view on how we can incorporate
indigenous knowledge without it becoming commercialised by the current
licensing scheme?

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 12:47, Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please don't generalise frustration with your conduct on this list. You're
> the only one telling people to shut up here.

I have told nobody to shut up. This is a continuation of the use of
character assignation to shut up points of view you do not like. Lay
off, it's creating a hostile environment.

> And just to keep this on track, what is your view on how we can incorporate
> indigenous knowledge without it becoming commercialised by the current
> licensing scheme?

3rd time: Commons case book. Please make one. The community on Commons
can assist you with previous examples that have successfully been used
to change policy using evidence, not just rhetoric.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Yury Bulka
Maybe it is better to discuss specific recommendations on their talk
pages?

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Diversity/Recommendations/9

We might find ourselves discussing here only one specific recommendation
while the other working groups' recommendations might fade in shadows of
this particular discussion.

Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]> writes:

> Please don't generalise frustration with your conduct on this list. You're
> the only one telling people to shut up here.
>
> And just to keep this on track, what is your view on how we can incorporate
> indigenous knowledge without it becoming commercialised by the current
> licensing scheme?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Adrian Raddatz
I'm tempted to sit this one out. The Foundation has organized a bunch of
working groups, staffed primarily through volunteers of various types, to
present some strategic recommendations for moving forward into the future.
We are a movement with flaws and opportunities for improvement, as with any
large organization, and it would be a mistake for us to assume that because
we found the winning formula in the early 2000s we are completely set for
the future. But already, the discussions on Meta are dominated by
representatives of The Community™ showing up with all of the usual toxic
vested contributor behaviour that I've grown to know and love in my time
with this movement.

That said, it is apparent how broken the community/WMF governance model is.
Large portions of the community feel disenfranchised on the projects they
helped to create, and the WMF is increasingly separate from the community
in terms of its goals and priorities. I think that re-imagining the
governance of this movement is going to be the first step towards making
any sort of progress towards the goals of either group.

Adrian

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM Yury Bulka <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Maybe it is better to discuss specific recommendations on their talk
> pages?
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Diversity/Recommendations/9
>
> We might find ourselves discussing here only one specific recommendation
> while the other working groups' recommendations might fade in shadows of
> this particular discussion.
>

> Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Please don't generalise frustration with your conduct on this list.
> You're
> > the only one telling people to shut up here.
> >
> > And just to keep this on track, what is your view on how we can
> incorporate
> > indigenous knowledge without it becoming commercialised by the current
> > licensing scheme?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] NC and ND content (was: Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations...)

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,

There was once a report in which I read: Wikimedia Commons should allow NC
and ND content because that is somehow good for "communities that are
historically prohibited from telling their stories".
Then I asked on the talk page for the reasoning behind this
demand/postulation.
The answer I got was not very substantial.
I am very open to discuss the pros and cons of e.g. opening Wikimedia
Commons to NC or ND. But sorry, I find it very difficult to have a
meaningful conversation on this basis.

Kind regards
Ziko

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Reports/March-April_Community_Conversations_Monthly_Report

Am Fr., 9. Aug. 2019 um 20:37 Uhr schrieb Nicole Ebber <
[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Yury Bulka
> I think that re-imagining the governance of this movement is going to be the first step towards making any sort of progress towards the goals of either group.

I think this is what the Roles and Responsibilities working group was trying to do.

12 серпня 2019 р. 15:41:13 EEST, Adrian Raddatz <[hidden email]> написав:

>I'm tempted to sit this one out. The Foundation has organized a bunch
>of
>working groups, staffed primarily through volunteers of various types,
>present some strategic recommendations for moving forward into the
>future.
>We are a movement with flaws and opportunities for improvement, as with
>any
>large organization, and it would be a mistake for us to assume that
>because
>we found the winning formula in the early 2000s we are completely set
>for
>the future. But already, the discussions on Meta are dominated by
>representatives of The Community™ showing up with all of the usual
>toxic
>vested contributor behaviour that I've grown to know and love in my
>time
>with this movement.
>
>That said, it is apparent how broken the community/WMF governance model
>is.
>Large portions of the community feel disenfranchised on the projects
>they
>helped to create, and the WMF is increasingly separate from the
>community
>in terms of its goals and priorities. I think that re-imagining the
>governance of this movement is going to be the first step towards
>making
>any sort of progress towards the goals of either group.
>
>Adrian
>

>On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM Yury Bulka
><[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Maybe it is better to discuss specific recommendations on their talk
>> pages?
>>

>https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Diversity/Recommendations/9
>>
>> We might find ourselves discussing here only one specific
>recommendation
>> while the other working groups' recommendations might fade in shadows
>of
>> this particular discussion.
>>

>> Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Please don't generalise frustration with your conduct on this list.
>> You're
>> > the only one telling people to shut up here.
>> >
>> > And just to keep this on track, what is your view on how we can
>> incorporate
>> > indigenous knowledge without it becoming commercialised by the
>current
>> > licensing scheme?

Sent from my PDP-11.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] NC and ND content (was: Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations...)

jmh649
Yah I have mixed feelings about NC. There is a lot of great content under
this license which would benefit our readers if we could use it. We for
example have folks like Khan Academy and the World Health Organization who
refuse to adopt open licenses. They tell us that we can use their content
right now as we are a non commercial project but that they will not chance.

Yet us allowing NC will keep us from forcing those who are currently using
this horribly unclear license to adopt an actual open one. I have had those
who create NC context explicitly say we CANNOT use it on
"Internet-in-a-Box" as even though we are selling the devices at below the
cost of making them in the developing world, they are still being sold.
This makes me want to have nothing to do with NC.

ND is even worse. This means we cannot translate content and I am not
interested in seeing us adopt anything which we cannot translate.

James

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
1234 ... 7