[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Ilario Valdelli
Hi Nicole,

I suggest also to harmonize a little bit the reccomandations of the
working groups too.

I had a quick reading and I found several conflictual points among the
different working groups.

An example is the technology working group where the first
reccomandation is about a decentralization and I suppose about a
"strong" decentralization where everyone can contribute to the vision,
while the Resource Allocation reports the concept of hubs in several
points of their reccomandations.

In this case to decentralize from one point to another point a
competence doesn't mean "decentralization" but it's "delocalization".
Basically it remains a central point of competence delocated
geographically but basically a central point (so the opposite of
decentralization).

This is an example but there are several ones and the time is short to
comment.

Kind regards

On 09/08/2019 20:36, Nicole Ebber wrote:

> Over the next month, working groups will take the input they receive
> into the recommendations, alongside external advice and research, and
> use it to refine and finalize them. Share your views, and help shape
> what Wikimedia will look like in 2030 and beyond.
>
> If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to get in touch.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Nicole
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> [3] https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Wikimedia_2030
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/2019_Community_Conversations/Strategy_Salons
> [5] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/People/Community_Strategy_Liaisons

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Chris Keating-2
Just to follow this up, we in the Roles and Responsibilities working group
have now supplemented our recommendations with three potential future
structural models for the Wikimedia movement. (These have were being worked
on still on in the light of other feedback on Thursday, hence them not
being published at the same time as our recommendations.)

While comments and questions are welcome on Meta, we have created a survey
for each model to help gather granular feedback on the strengths and
weaknesses of each and that is our preferred method of getting detailed
comments.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Roles_%26_Responsibilities/Recommendations

Thanks,

Chris Keating
User:The Land

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 7:37 PM Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> to each and every member for helping us reach this key milestone.
>
> The draft recommendations are a first look at ways we can adapt our
> movement’s structures to help us advance in our strategic direction.
> They are the starting point for conversations about what kind of
> future we want to create together.
>
> The recommendations are not final. In order to get them to that stage,
> your input is needed! We would like to hear from you all what these
> changes would mean for you in your local or thematic context, what do
> you like about them, and where you potentially see any red flags. And
> of course, always critically question whether these recommendations
> support the strategic direction.
>
> There are a few ways to do this:
> * Read through the recommendations online and provide your input
> directly on Meta. [2]
> * If you will be at Wikimania, join us in the Wikimedia 2030 space. [3]
> * Attend a Strategy Salon hosted by an affiliate where you live. [4]
> * Reach out to a Strategy Liaison in your language to share feedback,
> or lead a conversation of your own. [5]
>
> Over the next month, working groups will take the input they receive
> into the recommendations, alongside external advice and research, and
> use it to refine and finalize them. Share your views, and help shape
> what Wikimedia will look like in 2030 and beyond.
>
> If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to get in touch.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Nicole
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
> [3] https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Wikimedia_2030
> [4]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/2019_Community_Conversations/Strategy_Salons
> [5]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/People/Community_Strategy_Liaisons
>
> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Jeff Hawke
Chris,

There is perhaps some confusion here.  Most Wikipedians are accustomed to a
process of *discussion*, during which a consensus emerges and is accepted
by the community at large, and implemented by community prcesses.  It has
perhaps not been made perfectly clear that this is a *feedback* process,
where the Working Groups publish their recommendations, the community pass
their comments back to the WG, and the WG then collate them and decide the
final form of the recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF.  Some of
the angst in previous comments on the list (about lack of time, and so
forth) derives from the fact that this crucial difference has clearly not
been universally understood.

Jeff

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 6:01 PM Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> > dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Fæ
Many Wikimedians have left detailed and logical feedback on the Meta
talk pages, as per the request for feedback by Nicole Ebber.

No doubt there is no requirement to keep on making this same feedback
in other places, especially where not part of the planned feedback
process, or where the rationale includes presuming a commonly
understood "current governance model" which is not, apparently,
defined. Neither is it realistic to expect volunteers like Wikipedians
to want to research and critique governance models such as "Buurtzorg"
which is designed for healthcare, and as far as anyone can tell have
never been applied for open knowledge projects entirely underpinned by
unpaid volunteers, especially when there is an absence of context,
such as the "Charter" which is supposed to drive the entire model.

The specific feedback already given on Meta, cannot be reproduced in
the highly hypothetical survey, it's like trying to write on a
blackboard with cheese straws.

Thanks

On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 at 18:01, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> > dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Andy Mabbett-2
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 09:55, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the WG then collate them and decide the final form of the
> recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF

This seems to be missing a rather crucial intermediate step; the one
where the recommendations are accepted, or not, by the wider Wikimedia
community.

While some of the changes recommended may be in the gift of the WMF to
apply unilaterally, others are not, and there is ample evidence that
attempting to do so would be far from advisable.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Jeff Hawke
Andy

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 09:55, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > the WG then collate them and decide the final form of the
> > recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF
>
> This seems to be missing a rather crucial intermediate step; the one
> where the recommendations are accepted, or not, by the wider Wikimedia
> community.

 That step is not mentioned at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place?

Jeff

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Peter Southwood
I think that is very much the point Andy is making. To be reasonably representative of the "Movement" the recommendations should be accepted by the wider community, otherwise all legitimacy falls away, and it becomes the political games of a clique.
Cheers

wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 09:55, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > the WG then collate them and decide the final form of the
> > recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF
>
> This seems to be missing a rather crucial intermediate step; the one
> where the recommendations are accepted, or not, by the wider Wikimedia
> community.

 That step is not mentioned at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place?

Jeff

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Yaroslav Blanter
And this is the core problem of the whole process (which has been pointed
out by multiple people from the very beginning)

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 12:27 PM Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 09:55, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > the WG then collate them and decide the final form of the
> > > recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF
> >
> > This seems to be missing a rather crucial intermediate step; the one
> > where the recommendations are accepted, or not, by the wider Wikimedia
> > community.
> >

>  That step is not mentioned at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place
> ?
>
> Jeff

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Nicole Ebber
Dear all,

Thank you for your engagement and input. It’s been great seeing so much
attention on movement strategy and collaborative efforts for building our
future. Here are a couple of follow up responses and clarifications.

DRAFTS
As pointed out in my previous email, the documents we recently shared are
recommendation drafts. They are not final, and not complete, but working
documents that are currently being refined by the working groups. Some
answers still read like stubs that are longing for further development,
others are very detailed and will become more focused over the next few
weeks. We still decided to publish everything at once, to give everyone a
full picture of the variety of topics and offer an insight into multiple
progress levels.

I would also like to reiterate that movement values, priorities and
community conversation processes are high on our radar. A recommendation to
change the existing license model, for example, will not just go through a
quick approval process, but lead to a deeper exploration into the reasoning
behind it: What problems are we trying to tackle, and what could be ways to
mitigate them? Such recommendation would then rather suggest to look into
different measures to ensure indigenous knowledge is included in the
Wikimedia ecosystem, deploy research and further consultation, instead of
rushing to a quick fix.

INTEGRATION
The working groups are taking input that they gathered at Wikimania and via
different movement channels and incorporating it into the next iteration of
their recommendations. These documents will then serve as a basis for
harmonization across working groups.

The input that we are gathering comes in on different levels. Some of it
targets structural level changes or emphasizes specific principles or
values, while other feedback is more on the programmatic side or already
addressing implementation. Structural input will continue to be  considered
in forthcoming iterations of the recommendations. Programmatic input will
be documented and taken forward to inform the implementation.

TIMELINE
We wanted to get the English drafts out as soon as possible and the
translations on a rolling basis, so that Wikimania participants could read
and prepare to engage in person. Over the next few weeks, we will do
targeted, public outreach to online project communities in multiple
languages. We are soliciting feedback to shape the overall direction of the
recommendations through mid-September. Working Groups are already working
on identifying gaps and overlaps with other groups to prepare for
harmonization.

At the harmonization sprint in Tunis on 20-22 September, we will bring 3
representatives from each Working Group together to work to develop a more
coherent set of recommendations. The group will be supported by
facilitators and external advice, as well as the core team. We have also
invited María Sefidari, Katherine Maher, Ryan Merkley, Valerie D’Costa
(Wikimedia Foundation) and Abraham Taherivand (Wikimedia Deutschland) to
the sprint. They contribute expertise and experience from their work and
leadership in the movement and beyond. They will be active listeners and
can challenge recommendations by pointing out risks and consequences on the
organizational and movement level. They also participate as the
representatives of organizations that may be impacted by the
recommendations. Involving them early is important so they can anticipate
any possible changes for their staff and programs, and plan for
implementation.

Our aim is to release recommendations in November 2019, and present them to
the Board of Trustees for approval in December. We will need the legal
authority of the board for some of the recommendations, while others will
then be further delegated to other community mechanisms and structures for
approval or further consultation.[1] There will be additional public
consultation activities around implementation that will be discussed and
owned across the movement.

WORKING GROUPS
We have chosen the working group model to ensure that the process that
embarks to make significant changes to our movement structures is owned by
the community. Members of the nine working group were selected by a
steering committee and the groups were established in July 2019.[2] Group
members come from different parts of the movement, e.g. from different
regions and languages, from individual contributors and organized groups,
and with different volunteer and staff roles, incl. Wikimedia Foundation
staff and board.

The groups are doing an amazing job. With many of them being volunteers, or
doing this work on top of their regular jobs, creating the draft
recommendations is a huge achievement. They first needed to form, storm and
norm as a group and figure out how to best work together across time zones,
languages, and contexts. They then took a deep dive into the substance and
identified the scope of their work and the specific questions to tackle for
us as a movement to advance in our strategic direction. The development of
recommendations has started in spring this year, and – aside from many
online calls, asynchronous work and scarce in-person meetings – included
incorporating community conversations and external expertise. It is only to
the hard work of these groups that we finally have something tangible in
front of us that we can all react to and help further improve to build our
future together.

Please join us in thanking, celebrating and supporting them, rather than
rushing to conclusions or arguing  over details. Please contribute in good
faith, and in a constructive way.

Best wishes,
Nicole

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/July_2018_-_Board_of_Trustees_participation_in_the_Movement_Strategy_Process
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Procedures

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 19:48, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:41 PM Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 at 09:55, Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > the WG then collate them and decide the final form of the
> > > recommendations, to be implemented by the WMF
> >
> > This seems to be missing a rather crucial intermediate step; the one
> > where the recommendations are accepted, or not, by the wider Wikimedia
> > community.
> >

>  That step is not mentioned at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place?

But it is alluded to further down that page, albeit with an apparent
assumption that the recommendations will (all) be implemented:

   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_are_the_steps_that_will_take_place_between_recommendations_being_published_and_implementation?

In the light of Nicole's recent - and reassuring - email:

   https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2019-August/093303.html

perhaps that section could be updated to reflect that:

   "[recommendations not needing the legal authority of the board] will
    then be further delegated to other community mechanisms and
    structures for approval or further consultation."

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Paulo Santos Perneta
If I've well understood the timeline, all input from the Wikimedia
community ceases in mid September. Then it's all defined by the WGs 8and
their advisors), and eventually decided upon by the BoT around December.
Therefore, after 15 September or so, the Wikimedia community will only be
dealing with those recommendations again when they are already in the
process of implementation.

It's quite easy to predict that things will not get pretty if the Wikimedia
community does not approve some of the recommendations that pass all the
way till implementation phase.

Paulo

Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 22/08/2019
à(s) 11:58:

> [...]
> > > >

> > >  That step is not mentioned at
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Jeff

> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
> teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Paulo,

You suggest that "things will not get pretty if the Wikimedia community
does not approve some of the recommendations".  You may recall that just
five years ago, Jan-Bart de Vreede, then chair of the WMF Board, expressed
the opinion
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:LilaTretikov_(WMF)&diff=prev&oldid=9585319
over
a much less dramatic change.

> All of this is going to require change, change that might not be
acceptable to some of you. I hope that all of you will be a part of this
next step in our evolution. But I understand that if you decide to take a
wiki-break, that might be the way things have to be. Even so, you have to
let the Foundation do its work and allow us all to take that next step when
needed. I can only hope that your break is temporary, and that you will
return when the time is right.

I presume this is a good summary of the WMF position today.

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:06 AM Paulo Santos Perneta <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit
> > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

jmh649
I for one do not agree with Jan-Bart's prior position.

James

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:40 AM Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > --
> > > Nicole Ebber
> > > Adviser International Relations
> > > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > > https://wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit
> > > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Paulo Santos Perneta
Except that this time they don't "hope that all of you will be a part of
this next step in our evolution", since Wikimedia community input ceases
around 15 September in what has been constantly defined as a very
preliminary draft, with very low to null engagement from the WGs, and next
time we'll see that, it will be already the finished product under
deployment.

Not good.

Paulo

Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta, 23/08/2019 à(s)
11:40:

> [...]
> > >

> > > --
> > > Nicole Ebber
> > > Adviser International Relations
> > > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > > https://wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> > Menschheit
> > > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

To clarify on this, yes we need to make changes as a movement, but we need
to do so in collaboration with each other. My hope is that the wider
community will engage with the proposals that have been made. And that we
can develop a final document that the majority of us in all parts of the
movement can support.

James

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Paulo Santos Perneta
Hello James,

If we can do that together, it is not evident from the timeline sent by
Nicole. How can we " collaborate with each other", "the wider community
engage with the proposals that have been made", and we together "develop a
final document that the majority of us in all parts of the movement can
support" if after 15 September or so we will be excluded from the entire
process that will led to the final recommendations?

All we can do is to comment on this very preliminary draft, kind of
shouting in the dark in the hopes that someone would hear, with very little
dialogue with the people that will be defining them, if at all.

Paulo

James Heilman <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta, 23/08/2019 à(s)
12:09:

> [...]
> >> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Procedures

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> [hidden email]>

> the

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place

> >> V.
> Berlin-Charlottenburg
> für
> >> ,
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >

> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Thanks for that.  As a member of the Board, would you clarify the Board's
position on whether it is prepared to see the final Recommendations
implemented irrespective of any disagreement from the community?

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:05 PM James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Procedures

> > > pointed

> [hidden email]

> > [hidden email]>

> the
> > > one

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place

> > > Menschheit

> V.
> > > unter
> für

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

The board will be discussing this of course. We do not have a group
position at this point in time.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:47 PM Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > five years ago, Jan-Bart de Vreede, then chair of the WMF Board,
> > expressed
> > > the opinion
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:LilaTretikov_(WMF)&diff=prev&oldid=9585319
> > > over
> > > a much less dramatic change.

> > > acceptable to some of you. I hope that all of you will be a part of
> this
> > > next step in our evolution. But I understand that if you decide to
> take a
> > > wiki-break, that might be the way things have to be. Even so, you have
> > > let the Foundation do its work and allow us all to take that next step
> > when
> > > needed. I can only hope that your break is temporary, and that you will
> > > return when the time is right.
> > >
> > > I presume this is a good summary of the WMF position today.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

Benjamin Ikuta

It is disturbing that you would even consider overriding the community in such a massive way.

On Aug 23, 2019, at 9:44 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>>>>

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups/Procedures

>>> [hidden email]

>>> the

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Frequently_asked_questions#What_steps_will_take_place_in_the_next_few_months_to_put_a_decision-making_process_in_place

>> e.
>>> V.
>> Berlin-Charlottenburg
>>> für
>>>

>>> --
>>> James Heilman
>>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Draft recommendations are here!

@ Benjamin I have never said that I would "consider overriding the
community in such a massive way". What I have said is that I hope the wider
community will engage with and provide feedback to the core group who is
working on developing the strategy. Much of the draft is really good, some
requires more discussion and some adjustments.

James

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:12 PM Benjamin Ikuta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It is disturbing that you would even consider overriding the community in
> such a massive way.
>

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 9:44 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The board will be discussing this of course. We do not have a group
> > position at this point in time.

> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:47 PM Jeff Hawke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> James
> >>
> >> Thanks for that.  As a member of the Board, would you clarify the
> Board's
> >> position on whether it is prepared to see the final Recommendations
> >> implemented irrespective of any disagreement from the community?
> >>
> >> Jeff

> community
> >> just
> >>>>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:LilaTretikov_(WMF)&diff=prev&oldid=9585319