[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Nicole Ebber
Hi everyone,

We recently held the harmonization sprint in Tunis [1], where
representatives from each working group met in person to continue bringing
nine separate sets of draft recommendations into one set. The event also
brought together staff members from the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia
Deutschland, the WMF Chair of the Board of Trustees, and members of the
core team. A longer narrative report will be published in the coming weeks;
in the meantime, see a short day-by-day report on Meta, photos on commons
[2], and check out the hashtag #hs2030 on Twitter [3].

In the lead up to the meeting, the working groups were busy refining their
draft recommendations based on feedback received at in person events from
Wikimedians across the movement as well as on wiki, via email, and on
social media since March of this year. They had also begun identifying
overlaps in each other’s recommendations and content. A second iteration of
draft recommendations [4] was published on Meta just before the sprint for
the communities’ information.

At the sprint, we continued to group recommendations based on
commonalities. From there, we looked at what kinds of structures would need
to be in place to deliver the Wikimedia 2030 vision. A first, rough
grouping of recommendations came together at the sprint. But what became
clear during the event was that before it’s possible to create a coherent
and actionable set of recommendations, fundamental principles that underpin
the path towards 2030 need to be formalized.

The core team is currently processing the discussion materials and
outcomes. Analysis of the current draft recommendations will continue so as
to create one unified set. The timeline will shift and we are looking into
options for another round of community input.

I would like to make clear that the reason we were not able to achieve our
initial goal in Tunis was due to a lack of clarity and guidance on the core
team’s part. Still, the time was not wasted and important, honest
conversations were had. The working group members, as ever, devoted an
enormous amount of energy and care in the lead up to and during the event,
and demonstrated their deep understanding of the challenges and
opportunities in our movement. We are extremely grateful for all their
effort. In short, the harmonization sprint underlined the high level of
work and dedication every single working group member has put into getting
the movement strategy to its current point, and the passion to shape the
future of the diverse and inclusive movement we envision.

We have valuable lessons to take from this event and incorporate into the
overall process and the next steps. We will share these with you all as
soon as possible. If you have questions in the meantime, please feel free
to reach out to me.

Best regards,
Nicole

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Harmonization_Sprint
[2]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_2030_Harmonization_Sprint
[3] https://twitter.com/search?q=%23hs2030
[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

--
Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

John DeBruyn
Job well done, high five, John, John DeBruyn, cell phone 303-919-4840,
Http://debruyn.com, wiki booster

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019, 10:27 AM Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_2030_Harmonization_Sprint
> [3] https://twitter.com/search?q=%23hs2030
> [4]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
>

> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
> teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Paulo Santos Perneta
" A second iteration of draft recommendations [4] was published on Meta
just before the sprint for
the communities’ information." - It's quite unclear what are we supposed to
do with this, since those recommendations most probably became outdated in
the course of the Tunis meetings in the days following their publication.
Are we supposed to do anything at all with them?

Best,
Paulo

Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia segunda,
30/09/2019 à(s) 17:27:

> [...]
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_2030_Harmonization_Sprint
> [3] https://twitter.com/search?q=%23hs2030
> [4]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations
>

> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
> teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Henry Wood
Paulo,

There is nothing more for us to do, since community input closed on
the 15 September.  The community will next be consulted on the
implementation of the recommendations after they are finally agreed.

Henry

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 18:08, Paulo Santos Perneta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > --
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der Menschheit
> > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Ziko van Dijk-3
Dear Nicole,
Thank you for the explanation. Maybe some more context on Meta Wiki might
make sense?
I am looking forward to see the final results.
Kind regards
Ziko

Am Di., 1. Okt. 2019 um 19:08 Uhr schrieb Paulo Santos Perneta <
[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> > Nicole Ebber
> > Adviser International Relations
> > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > https://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit
> > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Dear Paulo and Ziko,

Thanks for your interest and your questions.

Regarding the second iteration of the recommendations: We posted them
for your information, to provide insights into how different strands
of input have been progressed so far. We are not in a structured open
consultation phase at the moment, but comments are of course always
welcome on the talk pages, will be monitored, summarized and fed back
to the Working Groups.

Ziko, yes, as we wrote on the meta page, an extended report will be shared soon.

Regards,
Nicole

On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 23:40, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Menschheit
> > > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations
Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Fæ
That's helpful.

Volunteers are repeatedly shut down asking questions on this list and on
wiki project noticeboards, by being told they should ask questions on
these more
obscure and hard to find meta talk pages. So it's good to know that when we
are redirected this way, it's fair to say that those meta pages are not the
right places to expect answers either, just to have some third party
summarize and presumably sanitize comments as part of some non-public and
non-transparent process.

Thanks for the clarification.

Fae

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019, 10:48 Nicole Ebber, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> an
> > > event,
> their
> of
> > > getting
> the

> into the
> as
> free

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations/Harmonization_Sprint
> > > >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_2030_Harmonization_Sprint
> > > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

> > > Menschheit

> V.
> > > unter
> für

> Nicole Ebber

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Dan Szymborski
I'm not sure I could design a process more guaranteed to result in complete
resistance from the community if I tried. It's gobsmacking that far more
effort was made on putting together a nice little junket to Tunisia than
any sort of effort to seek community-buy-in. The working groups had
next-to-no direct interaction with any of the community's objections to the
proposals. But again, a trip to Tunis is a lot more fun than remedying risk
assessments with howlers like (I'm paraphrasing) "some people might not
like it" or "people can just leave the project."

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:42 AM Henry Wood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > Nicole Ebber
> > > Adviser International Relations
> > > Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > > https://wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit
> > > teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > https://spenden.wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Pine W
Hello,

I hope that we can be candid about problems without becoming deeply
cynical. I think that there are many problems in WMF, but I also don't want
to demoralize good WMF board members, staff, or contractors (imagine what
would happen if the good ones all quit) or any strategy working group
contributors who consistently make sincere and competent efforts to support
the community. I'm willing to criticize, to ban, or to fire people, and to
cut budgets, but I try not to be excessively harsh or to have unrealistic
expectations. The strategy process is complicated and messy, and I am
hoping that some good comes from it regardless of the problems.

Regarding conference travel, while I don't know what happened at this
particular conference, when I attended the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin a
few years ago it was not a vacation. I paid for an extra day before the
conference began for tourist activities and to adjust to the time zone, and
I'm glad that I had the extra day. The conference itself overall was very
interesting, and I think that the vast majority of us who were there tried
to make good use of the time. My guess is that there were some serious
discussions at the strategy meeting.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Outcomes of the Harmonization Sprint in Tunis

Paulo Santos Perneta
Hi Henry,

Apparently things have changed since then: "
*The timeline will shift and we are looking into options for another round
of community input.*" (Nicole)

These are promising news from the core team, I hope this new round of
community input goes forward.

Best,
Paulo

Henry Wood <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quarta, 2/10/2019
à(s) 15:42: