[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

[Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

Nicole Ebber
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some updates about movement strategy with you all.
The core team has spent the last few weeks developing and finalizing a
plan to take forward the work that the nine working groups have done
and, from this, create one set of recommendations.

To ensure enough time to do this effectively and to facilitate
community input on the synthesized recommendations as well as
endorsement, we have adapted the movement strategy timeline.[1]

== What’s next for working groups ==
The nine working groups are currently putting any remaining finishing
touches on the current, second iteration of their recommendations[2].
This version reflects inputs and perspectives that were shared by the
movement online and in person prior to, during, and after Wikimania,
including at many strategy salons and the two regional summits.

Any final bits of relevant research will be integrated, and some
groups may make small refinements to their work. They are also in the
process of ranking their recommendations to indicate which ones, in
their perspective, are the most foundational for driving change in our
movement.

Following this, working group members will conclude the duty that they
signed up for by 1 November. We are incredibly grateful to each
working group member for their tireless efforts and engagement.

In the meantime, the core team and contracted strategy liaisons will
also be working to share back information with online and offline
communities about how their feedback has been reviewed and
incorporated into the existing drafts of recommendations.

== Synthesizing recommendations ==
The focus over the next few months will be on synthesizing the 89
recommendations to develop one set. To help create a product that is
concise and clear, overlaps in the content will be identified to see
where certain recommendations could be merged. Others may be forwarded
for consideration to the implementation process. Others might conflict
and need to be reconciled.

To do this work, a new working group will be formed, comprised of
existing working group members who are interested in continuing to
contribute. This new group will consist of:
* Writers who will synthesize the recommendations and develop one coherent set.
* Connectors who will help writers make sense and further integrate
existing material, research, and input from community conversations,
both past and upcoming.
* Reviewers who will bring in specific additional perspectives,
expertise, contexts, advise at different times of the process.

The sign up process for this new group is currently underway, and best
ways to support the content creation are being assessed. We will
provide updates here soon.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Best wishes,
Nicole

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Overview/Timeline
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

--
Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

Aron Manning
Hello Nicole,

Thank you for the update!

This timeline is very useful to understanding the process globally, though,
I have to admit, I haven't found it, until you linked it directly in your
email. The link to Timeline is hard to notice in the middle of the Overview
page.
Comparing the pageviews of Recommendations
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/?project=meta.wikimedia.org&platform=all-access&agent=user&start=2019-08-10&end=2019-10-21&pages=Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations>
 and Timeline
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/?project=meta.wikimedia.org&platform=all-access&agent=user&start=2019-08-10&end=2019-09-30&pages=Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Overview/Timeline>,
it seems not many people find it.
May I suggest to add a nav link for it in the header, next to
Recommendations?

Yours sincerely,
Aron

wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> https://wikimedia.de
>
> Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
> Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

Thanks, Aron, good point! We will make it more visible and easier to find.

Best,
Nicole

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 03:21, Aron Manning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Nicole Ebber
Adviser International Relations
Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

Unsere Vision ist eine Welt, in der alle Menschen am Wissen der
Menschheit teilhaben, es nutzen und mehren können. Helfen Sie uns
dabei! https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

Anders Wennersten-2
What is the current status?

The final version of recommendation should have been completed by
November 1, I can not find any published

A new working group should have been formed in order to synthesizing the
89recommendations. Is it formed and who are its members

Are there any more concrete time plan when the first results from this
new group will be published?

Anders

Den 2019-10-21 kl. 19:02, skrev Nicole Ebber:

> [...]
> * Connectors who will help writers make sense and further integrate
> existing material, research, and input from community conversations,
> both past and upcoming.
> * Reviewers who will bring in specific additional perspectives,
> expertise, contexts, advise at different times of the process.
>
> The sign up process for this new group is currently underway, and best
> ways to support the content creation are being assessed. We will
> provide updates here soon.
>
> If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.
>
> Best wishes,
> Nicole
>

> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Overview/Timeline
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Recommendations

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Movement Strategy: Synthesizing the recommendations and next steps

Hi Anders,

Thanks for checking in. On 1 November, the 9 thematic working groups
have been dissolved and transitioned into a group of writers,
connectors and reviewers. This new group has now started to
consolidate the 89 recommendations and to write an overall, condensed
list of recommendations into a document that will be the basis for
broader movement conversations early next year.

The final recommendations are scheduled to be presented to the WMF
Board of Trustees and the movement for approval from end of March on.
You can find the current timeline here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Overview/Timeline#Detailed_timeline_October_2019_to_June_2020

A list of members of this new group will be published on meta this
week, and we'll also send out another update with more information on
the current status and next steps.

Best wishes,
Nicole

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 at 10:40, Anders Wennersten
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > and need to be reconciled.
> >
> > To do this work, a new working group will be formed, comprised of
> > existing working group members who are interested in continuing to
> > contribute. This new group will consist of:
> > * Writers who will synthesize the recommendations and develop one coherent set.
> > * Connectors who will help writers make sense and further integrate
> > existing material, research, and input from community conversations,
> > both past and upcoming.
> > * Reviewers who will bring in specific additional perspectives,
> > expertise, contexts, advise at different times of the process.
> >
> > The sign up process for this new group is currently underway, and best
> > ways to support the content creation are being assessed. We will
> > provide updates here soon.
> >
> > If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me.

Leiterin Internationale Beziehungen