[Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Dear members of the Wikimedia community,

As you know the board passed a resolution allowing for the creation of a
standing Elections Committee in November of last year [1]. Per the
implementing resolution, the Board Governance Committee (BGC) has appointed
the initial members from the recommendation of the Executive Director and
her staff. We will be starting with 6 committee members:

   -

   User:Ajraddatz
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Ajraddatz>
   -

   User:Mardetanha
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Mardetanha>
   -

   User:Ruslik0
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Ruslik0>
   -

   User:Philippe
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Philippe>slate
   -

   User:KTC <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/KTC>
   -

   User:Atropine
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:CentralAuth/Atropine>

They will be joined by two official advisors from the Wikimedia Foundation:

   -

   James Alexander (Manager, Trust & Safety) from Community Engagement
   -

   Stephen LaPorte (Senior Legal Counsel) from the WMF Legal team

They will also be working closely with the BGC as a whole and especially
Nataliia and me. Because I may consider applying as a candidate in the
upcoming community-selection process I will be recusing for any discussions
involving that election[2].

The new committee, along with the BGC, will, of course, be able to choose
how many members and advisors they truly need and how to recruit the best
candidates. One of the first orders of business for the committee will be
to decide on a process for expanding its membership through some form of
open call. While there is an enormous amount of work for the committee to
do, it can be expected that they will begin looking at:

   -

   The selection of a committee Chair
   -

   The dates and process for the upcoming community selection process (and
   consider shortening the terms and having community elections in early 2017,
   so that the elected members would join the Board at April meeting[3]).
   -

   The method of voting for that process both for the upcoming selection
   and the future and
   -

   The composition of the board and how to ensure a steady supply of good
   candidates (in particular, making sure that the candidates have the
   skills and expertise matching the Board skill matrix while making sure that
   the process is still owned by the community[4]).

Just as the BGC is committed to greater transparency (see for example our
recent minutes[5]), the committee will likely consult with the wider
Wikimedia community in developing and revising election procedures within
the scope of this charter to the greatest extent possible.

This day has been a long time coming and is the result of requests made by
multiple different temporary election committees over the years. I'm glad
to finally see it come to fruition and hope that it will allow our
selection process to continue to expand and improve well beyond the
record-breaking election we had in 2015.

Before I sign off I also wanted to call out the amazing work of the 2015
temporary Election Committee[6]. They were put together in 2015 to do one
thing: run an election. They did that well (with almost 3x the
participation of the next largest year) but then they went well beyond the
call of duty in serving as an advisory body to the board, offering
invaluable feedback on how to fill the empty community selected seats we
saw this year. They did not have to do this, but they did it anyway, and I
hope that everyone can acknowledge the stress and courage that took.

Please join me in thanking the 2015 committee and welcoming the new
standing committee!

Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)

   - [1] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
   - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
   - [3]
   https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

   - [4]
   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
   - [5]
   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
   - [6]
   https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Pine W
Thanks Daruisz and all who worked on this.

Looking at the bigger picture, the tone and pace of changes in WMF
governance over the past few months feel like a breath of fresh air. I hope
that this direction and pace continue.

Speaking of elections and governance, will the Founder's seat become an
elected seat? It may be too early to answer this question, but I hope that
the BGC gives it some careful thought.

Thanks again,

Pine

On Jul 20, 2016 18:00, "Dariusz Jemielniak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
>

>    - [1]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
>    - [3]
>    https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html
>

>    - [4]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
>    - [5]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
>    - [6]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Chris Keating-2
Great news! Congratulations to the incoming Standing Election Committee and
many thanks to the outgoing (non-standing; sitting?) one.

(I will save the lengthy explanation of my favoured voting system for
another occasion ;) )

Chris

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
>

>    - [1]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
>    - [3]
>    https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html
>

>    - [4]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
>    - [5]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
>    - [6]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Lane Rasberry
Hello,

No one else started a page on meta for this committee, right?

I did here-
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Elections_Committee>

If anyone has more information please post links.

yours,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 5:43 AM, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > temporary Election Committee[6]. They were put together in 2015 to do one
> > thing: run an election. They did that well (with almost 3x the
> > participation of the next largest year) but then they went well beyond
> the
> > call of duty in serving as an advisory body to the board, offering
> > invaluable feedback on how to fill the empty community selected seats we
> > saw this year. They did not have to do this, but they did it anyway, and
> > hope that everyone can acknowledge the stress and courage that took.
> >
> > Please join me in thanking the 2015 committee and welcoming the new
> > standing committee!
> >
> > Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
> >

> >    - [1]
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
> >    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:

user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Pine W
Hi BGC,

I asked a question earlier in this thread which seems to have been
overlooked. Is the BGC (or the Board as a whole) considering whether the
Founder's seat will become an elected seat in the forseeable future?

Pine

On Jul 20, 2016 21:20, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
>>

>>    - [1]
>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
>>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
>>    - [3]
>>
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html
>>

>>    - [4]
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
>>    - [5]
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
>>    - [6]
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I really hope that the question is not answered and when answered the
answer is no.

I am so sick and tired of this nonsense. It never stops and there is
supposed to be only one answer. There are two alternatives; no answer and
not as you like it.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 26 July 2016 at 06:53, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
> >>

> >>    - [1]
> >> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
> >>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> >>    - [3]
> >>
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html
> >>

> >>    - [4]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> >>    - [5]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> >>    - [6]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Christophe Henner-3
Hey,

The question is not on the table right now.

We're working to perform a gouvernance audit, board composition will be
part of it.

Now, my personal opinion is it's neither urgent nor critical. And on top of
that I'm not sure it would be a good idea.

All that being said, I'm sure it will come up during the gouvernance review.

And yes I missed it, sorry. Gérard, no need for such email, just, as Pine
did, reask the question :)

Have a nice day

Le 26 juil. 2016 6:54 AM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
> >>
> >> Dariusz Jemielniak ("pundit", current Board member)
> >>

> >>    - [1]
> >> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
> >>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> >>    - [3]
> >>
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html
> >>

> >>    - [4]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> >>    - [5]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> >>    - [6]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Hi Gerard,

I am listening, to you and to others. I believe that others are listening
as well. I would ask that you respect that there may be differing
perspectives.

I hope that we will hear soon from the BGC in the spirit of openness and
transparency. They may wish to respond in personal capacities rather than
as an official committee, which is okay. I understand that it might take
them a little time to process their thoughts. I expect that we'll hear at
least an acknowledgement of the question within a couple of days.

Pine

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> I really hope that the question is not answered and when answered the
> answer is no.
>
> I am so sick and tired of this nonsense. It never stops and there is
> supposed to be only one answer. There are two alternatives; no answer and
> not as you like it.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On 26 July 2016 at 06:53, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi BGC,
> >
> > I asked a question earlier in this thread which seems to have been
> > overlooked. Is the BGC (or the Board as a whole) considering whether the
> > Founder's seat will become an elected seat in the forseeable future?
> >
> > Pine
> >
> > On Jul 20, 2016 21:20, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Daruisz and all who worked on this.
> > >
> > > Looking at the bigger picture, the tone and pace of changes in WMF
> > > governance over the past few months feel like a breath of fresh air. I
> > hope
> > > that this direction and pace continue.
> > >
> > > Speaking of elections and governance, will the Founder's seat become an
> > > elected seat? It may be too early to answer this question, but I hope
> > that
> > > the BGC gives it some careful thought.
> > >
> > > Thanks again,
> > >
> > > Pine

> of a
> > and

> >slate

> especially

> > choose
> > best
> > be
> of

> > (and
> early
> > meeting[3]).

> selection

> > good
> > sure

> > our
> > within

> made
> > by
> > glad

> 2015
> > one
> > the
> we
> > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > >>

> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Pine W
In the time that it took me to compose my answer to Gerard's question,
Christophe answered. (:

Christophe, I am glad to hear that this will be a part of the governance
review. I would suggest keeping an open mind about this and letting the
process take its course.

Pine

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > our
> > within

> made
> > by
> > glad

> 2015
> > one
> > the
> we
> > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > >>

> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

That I definitly will :)

And at the end of the day we will make a decision and provide reasoning.
Just wanted to give you my personal opinion too.

And I really did miss the question, sorry about that.

Have a great day,

Le 26 juil. 2016 7:50 AM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
> > > by
> > > glad

> > 2015
> do
> > > one
> beyond
> > > the
> seats
> > we
> > > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > > >>

> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Peter Southwood
Maybe so, but that is your opinion and is not necessarily shared by others.
I will second Pine's request.

> [...]

> >> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Elections_Committee
> >>    - [2] See also my disclosure to the BGC on that matter:
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_
> Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> >>    - [3]
> >>
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.
> >> html
> >>

> >>    - [4]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_
> Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> >>    - [5]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_
> Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> >>    - [6]
> >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Co
> mmittee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

My beef is that it is a question that does not go away, that has been asked
for the umpteenth time. It comes across as very self defeating for us as a
movement because it is not what will benefit us most and it seems like a
"safe" subject because it takes away from real issues..

In my experience far more problematic are the quality issues with
Wikipedia. Many easy to implement improvements like doing away with red
links and wiki links and replace them Wikidata items are just not
considered. We face a lot of opposition from vested interests and the
quality on many subjects seriously suffers. This does translate into
information that is detrimental to our readers.

Yes, other people may have different perspectives but given the lack of
progress even an unwillingness to tackle many issues my perspective is that
it is so far removed from what we should be doing and I am convinced that
it will do us no good, it will splinter us more than bring us together.

My hope is not in whatever committee that commits to group think. My hope
is that we are true to what we are about and that is share in the sum of
all knowledge. At this time we do not even share the sum of the knowledge
that is available to us.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 26 July 2016 at 07:39, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > our
> > within

> made
> > by
> > glad

> 2015
> > one
> > the
> we
> > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > >>

> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

I agree with you that there are many important issues, and as you mentioned
one of them is the quality of our products and services. However, I am
keenly aware of governance issues at WMF and how they affect the rest of
the ecosystem. WMF is a single point of failure (an issue which I would
like to see mitigated but is likely to take time on the order of years), so
for the foreseeable future I feel that it is in the interest of the
Wikimedia community and the affiliates to be mindful of WMF governance
matters.

I am happy to have a conversation about Wikipedia quality and Wikidata
integration, and I would like to invite you to start a different thread
about that subject.

Thank you,

Pine

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > > by
> > > glad

> > 2015
> do
> > > one
> beyond
> > > the
> seats
> > we
> > > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > > >>

> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

WereSpielChequers-2
Pine has a point. We all know that the founder seat will go eventually.
Whether it goes on the death or incapacity of the founder or earlier is a
valid question for the board and the community. I'm not convinced that an
elections committee should be deciding which posts to elect, and even if
such governance issues do fall into its remit they should probably focus on
how to elect first. So I'd say this should be a board decision.

As for the arguments to retain a founder seat for the next few decades, I
suggest that those who favour such a position try to couch their arguments
in terms of institutional knowledge, the value of an element of continuity
and the positives for the community to still retain such a link with our
founder. Then hope that the incidents of a few months ago fade in memory
and are not repeated. There is a case to be made for a founder seat, but as
with any argument in this community there are ways to argue respectfully
and effectively, and there are arguments that undermine your cause and
weaken your reputation.

WereSpielChequers

On 26 July 2016 at 06:39, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Send Wikimedia-l mailing list submissions to
>         [hidden email]

>         https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         [hidden email]

>         [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Wikimedia-l digest..."
>

> Today's Topics:
>

>    2. Re: New Elections Committee (Pine W)
>    3. Re: New Elections Committee (Gerard Meijssen)
>

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 21:53:59 -0700
> From: Pine W <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee
>
> Hi BGC,
>
> I asked a question earlier in this thread which seems to have been
> overlooked. Is the BGC (or the Board as a whole) considering whether the
> Founder's seat will become an elected seat in the forseeable future?
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:22 AM, WereSpielChequers <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pine has a point. We all know that the founder seat will go eventually.
> Whether it goes on the death or incapacity of the founder or earlier is a
> valid question for the board and the community. I'm not convinced that an
> elections committee should be deciding which posts to elect, and even if
> such governance issues do fall into its remit they should probably focus on
> how to elect first. So I'd say this should be a board decision.
>
> As for the arguments to retain a founder seat for the next few decades, I
> suggest that those who favour such a position try to couch their arguments
> in terms of institutional knowledge, the value of an element of continuity
> and the positives for the community to still retain such a link with our
> founder. Then hope that the incidents of a few months ago fade in memory
> and are not repeated. There is a case to be made for a founder seat, but as
> with any argument in this community there are ways to argue respectfully
> and effectively, and there are arguments that undermine your cause and
> weaken your reputation.

I think that Pine's question is definitely valid, and in the same time I
don't think it is really related to the Election Committee, or that it can
be really resolved through a discussion on this mailing list (although it
can be initiated here).

My personal view is that there are a lot of benefits of having the
founder's seat with a voting power, and there are also noticable
disadvantages (accountability to the movement, etc., but also one of the
disadvantages is the returning, endless discussion, drawing our attention
from more crucial topics).

I believe we should get our priorities straight - overall Board
governance/structure, vision&strategy, movement's structure&financing all
in my mind are urgent. The founder's seat is a topic related as a specific
subtheme of the Board's structure, and as Christophe has already mentioned,
I think we will get some food for thought once we have the governance
review (for instance, apart from opinions, we'll know more about common
practices - just as a reference, not to bind us in any way, of course).

best,

dariusz "pundit"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Pete Forsyth-2
Christophe and Pine,

I am glad this loop is getting closed. I agree very much with Pine that
eliminating the Founder's Seat as a (virtually) guaranteed position is
something that has been suggested by a great many informed people who care
about the movement, in a number of venues, and until now (as far as I'm
aware) has not been acknowledged. I'm glad to know that the governance
review will give it consideration. Wikimedia has recently been doing many
good things to address the challenges of the last year or two, but this
issue remains -- in my mind -- the single most significant opportunity to
get things on track.

One thing comes to mind, which may also be appropriate to the review:
perhaps it would be good to have a more structured way of making
suggestions to the Board. For tech issues, we have Phabricator; something
along those lines might be worthwhile, as it creates a way to assess how
many people are interested in a certain issue, and also whether and how it
has been seen/acknowledged/is being addressed.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

wrote:

> [...]
> > our
> > within

> made
> > by
> > glad

> 2015
> > one
> > the
> we
> > and I

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2017_Election_Disclosure
> > >>

> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-June/084592.html

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Minutes_07-08-2016
> > >>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee#Membership

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Sorry to post twice -- I spoke too soon with "single greatest opportunity."
An acknowledgment of community members' positive role in addressing the
Superprotect debacle is another important opportunity that should not be
missed.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One thing comes to mind, which may also be appropriate to the review:
> perhaps it would be good to have a more structured way of making
> suggestions to the Board. For tech issues, we have Phabricator; something
> along those lines might be worthwhile, as it creates a way to assess how
> many people are interested in a certain issue, and also whether and how it
> has been seen/acknowledged/is being addressed.

Absolutely, I totally agree it would be useful, it was one of the
transparency improvements proposed in our internal govenance analysis, and
in fact we have dscussed it with the WMF communication team in June at
Wikimania - everybody agrees it would be nice to be able to track
committments, follow up on issues, etc, but the only thing is that it will
take some time and resources to implement, and we are a bit bottlenecked so
we don't expect such a system to be ready in 2016. I certainly hope we will
have it next year though.

dj

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Elections Committee

Risker
Thank you to those of you who have volunteered in this role.  I have a lot
of faith in all of you to improve on the groundwork that was done in the
recent past, and am particularly glad that you should have sufficient time
to consider and test different voting systems - something that the last two
"temporary" election committees did not really have an opportunity to do.
I am certain you have all been reviewing the "post mortems" of the last few
elections to see what was considered in need of improvement.

It's been six weeks since the appointment of the committee, and I am
curious to know who has been selected as the chair, and whether or not the
committee has introduced any other members or selected any advisors.

I am also curious whether the committee members (and by extension the WMF
staff and Board liaisons) have undertaken to not run in the next election.
Given that the Committee is tasked with reviewing and potentially modifying
the rules under which future elections will be held, such a public
confirmation would prevent the perception of conflict of interest.

While I appreciate that many Wikimedians reduce their activity during the
July-August period (myself included, for family reasons this year), I'd
like to encourage the Election Committee to seriously consider starting an
examination of the voting system in the near future, including some public
discussions, and arrangements with the appropriate developers to write out
the programs and test voting systems that the committee considers to have
potential.  I think this is the task that will take the most time because
it will need to be incorporated into the workload of already-busy
staff/developers, and will also require discussion both with the broader
community and within the committee itself.

I wish you all the very best - you have an opportunity to have a
significant impact in the governance of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Risker/Anne

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am also curious whether the committee members (and by extension the WMF
> staff and Board liaisons) have undertaken to not run in the next election.
> Given that the Committee is tasked with reviewing and potentially modifying
> the rules under which future elections will be held, such a public
> confirmation would prevent the perception of conflict of interest.

I can answer the one about myself: within the Board we have agreed that the
matters pertaining to community elections will be dealt with by Nataliia,
as I have not made a decision about not running yet.

I do hope, however,  that I will be able to cooperate with the Election
Committee on topics such as a more general restructuring of the Board.

best,

dj