[Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

[Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

Maggie Dennis
Hello. :)

I want to introduce you all to three new events-focused people at the
Foundation and also to inform you about the formation of a new team. Events
are an important infrastructure in Wikimedia movement, enabling movement
building, knowledge sharing, partnership and outreach opportunities, and
much more. They enable us to connect, to learn from one another, to
collaborate on shared goals, and to unify around common agendas. To enable
more efficient support and collaboration, we have created this new Events
Team, which will be focused on convenorship -- a critical part of our
outreach and growth dynamic.

Joël Letang is the Events Team Manager, a newly created position designed
to oversee an events strategy to deepen the impact and partnerships of
movement events. He will be your contact point for strategy and
partnerships in events.

Isabel Cueva is a Program Manager for Community Events and will be working
predominantly on Wikimania.

Also part of the new Events Team is Rachel Farrand, who has been with the
Foundation since 2011 and has for four years been the primary Events
Program Manager for technical events supported by the Foundation.

Distinct from the Events Team but an important contributor to that work is Chen
Almog, the Program Officer for Conferences & Events on the Community
Resources team. She is your contact point for grants on movement events.
You can read more about that program here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Conference

I look forward to working with all four in our ever-improving events
ecosystem!

Best,

Maggie

--
Maggie Dennis
Vice President, Support & Services

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

Chris Keating-2
Thanks for the update Maggie and welcome Joel and Isabel!

I just wanted to ask about this bit of your email:

> this new Events
> Team, which will be focused on convenorship -- a critical part of our
> outreach and growth dynamic.

I haven't heard the word "convenorship" before, could someone explain what
it means in our context?

Thanks!

Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

Roman Bustria Jr.
Congratulations to the new events team!

Though the East and Southeast Asia and Pacific (Eseap) Wikimedia Community
was disheartened by its exclusion in the conference grants program, we are
looking forward for better collaboration this time. We have a lineup of
regional events and programmes in place and we hope the temporary halt will
lifted soon.

We are still waiting for the green light from the movement strategy
discussions on resource allocation, isn't it?

Butch Bustria

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019, 3:03 AM Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the update Maggie and welcome Joel and Isabel!
>
> I just wanted to ask about this bit of your email:
>

> > this new Events
> > Team, which will be focused on convenorship -- a critical part of our
> > outreach and growth dynamic.
>

> I haven't heard the word "convenorship" before, could someone explain what
> it means in our context?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

Cornelius Kibelka
Welcome, Joel and Isabel! Looking forward to meet you in person.
Congratulations, Rachel, for the new team! :)

Just a question: Isabel, are you now the official successor of Ellie Young?
Can we direct questions about Wikimania to you? (as soon as you're
onboarded :)

Cheers
Cornelius

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 20:03, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the update Maggie and welcome Joel and Isabel!
>
> I just wanted to ask about this bit of your email:
>

> > this new Events
> > Team, which will be focused on convenorship -- a critical part of our
> > outreach and growth dynamic.
>

> I haven't heard the word "convenorship" before, could someone explain what
> it means in our context?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chris

Cornelius Kibelka
Internationale Beziehungen | International Relations
Vorstandsteam | Office of the ED

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Foundation events team

Joel Letang
Hello all,

Thank you for the public and private welcomes! I’m looking forward to
working with you.

*Chris*, many thanks for your question, Happy to clarify what we mean by
“convenorship.” At the root, it’s simply to convene, gather, meet or
assemble; the actual (and future) movement events that currently are
celebrated because of their communal nature within our ecosystem.

The newly formed events team will be working closely with communities
around the world, that share the same view of creating spaces encouraging
the ambitious mission of open and accessible knowledge for all. We hope to
aid in catalyzing growth of our movement by being a facilitating force
behind these convenorships, led by this very same vision.

*Cornelius*, yes, Isabel will be our point person for Wikimania. Please
bear with her, as she currently is in the process of being on-boarded.

*Butch*, the Foundation runs on fiscal years from July to June.
Recommendations for the future of resource allocation will come out of
movement strategy, and our long-term plans will be built consistently with
those recommendations. The team that leads grants is on retreat right now
and I’m still onboarding myself, but I know that there will be
communications about the near-term and long-term direction of all
Foundation work as we move towards the new fiscal year and especially as
the movement strategy process further evolves.

Thanks all,
Joël L.

*Jo**ël Letang* (he/him)
Events Team Manager