[Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

[Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Gregory Varnum-4
Hello,

After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this week!

You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/

So what comes next?

Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations for translations.

Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally implementing usage of it.

Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.

What about the old website?

The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.

What else should I know?

There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to share with all of you! More information about office hours will available in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.

Thank you!

The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions, work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.

On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather, Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),

-greg

-------
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Yair Rand
The new website highlights "Advocacy" as one of the three areas that the
Foundation deals with, along with Research and Technology. From the page
linked, it promotes the WMF's misguided and unauthorized venture into
trying to influence US immigration law, now claiming it to be something the
WMF does "routinely". These statements do not belong on the WMF website.

(Also, there is no longer any way to inform people responsible for the site
about errors, like "do not write you own bio". Or the fact that the header
is in German, despite saying that the page is in English.)

Is there any intention to have somewhere where edits can be at least
proposed?

-- Yair Rand

> Hello,
>
> After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
> and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
> week!
>
> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
> browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> So what comes next?
>
> Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team
> will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations
> for translations.
>
> Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors
> around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French,
> German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft
> launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a
> more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally
> implementing usage of it.
>
> Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.
>

> What about the old website?
>
> The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming
> weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue
> to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like
> policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional
> information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating
> archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.
>

> What else should I know?
>
> There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to
> share with all of you! More information about office hours will available
> in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and
> contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>

> Thank you!
>
> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
> work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are
> very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was
> only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>
> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather,
> Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>
> -greg
>
> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Pine W
Hi Greg, thank you for the update.

The bold visual design is interesting. Hopefully WMF's target audiences
will like it.

I have a couple of concerns. This is not intended as an attack, and please
try not to take this personally.

1. I am a bit uncertain about the appropriateness of asking affiliates and
volunteers to spend valuable time translating WMF's corporate website. I am
not sure that it is a request that I would make if I was in WMF's place.
WMF has plenty of funding that could be used for that, and I think that
affiliate and volunteer translator time would be better spent on content
translation. Is there a reason to ask volunteers to spend their valuable
time doing something that paid translators could do?

2. The section on "Key information - things to know" should be carefully
examined by people who know Wikimedia policy and practices well. There are
several places where that section needs additional work.

3. I partly share Yair's concern about the advocacy section. I have mixed
views about some of WMF's public policy positions, while I fully agree with
others. I suggest removing the word "routinely" unless WMF intends to
become more active than it has been in the past with advocacy efforts that
may be "non-core" with respect to WMF's mission, and I suggest that WMF
should consider how to communicate that its own positions may or may not be
representative of the positions of affiliates and contributors.

I'm busy with other issues so I probably won't spend much more time
thinking about the WMF website in the near future, but I thank you for your
well-intentioned efforts to modernize the site. Hopefully in the long run
all will be well.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Gregory Varnum-4
There is a page on Meta-Wiki with a talk page:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_website

There is also a Phabricator project:  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimediafoundation.org/

-greg

_______________
Sent from my iPhone - a more detailed response may be sent later.

> [...]
>> contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
>> work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are
>> very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was
>> only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>>
>> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather,
>> Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>>
>> -greg
>>
>> -------
>> Gregory Varnum
>> Communications Strategist
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> [hidden email]
>> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Mario Gómez
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:56 AM, Yair Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The new website highlights "Advocacy" as one of the three areas that the
> Foundation deals with, along with Research and Technology. From the page
> linked, it promotes the WMF's misguided and unauthorized venture into
> trying to influence US immigration law, now claiming it to be something the
> WMF does "routinely". These statements do not belong on the WMF website.

Completely agree. But given that there is no sign of WMF willing to keep
advocacy within its core mission, I would like to know where can we propose
and discuss advocacy areas? There is a number of issues that affect the
work of Wikimedians that would need to be prioritized.

Best,

Mario

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

James Salsman-2
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/publicpolicy

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 2:13 AM, Mario Gómez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:56 AM, Yair Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The new website highlights "Advocacy" as one of the three areas that the
>> Foundation deals with, along with Research and Technology. From the page
>> linked, it promotes the WMF's misguided and unauthorized venture into
>> trying to influence US immigration law, now claiming it to be something the
>> WMF does "routinely". These statements do not belong on the WMF website.
>>

> Completely agree. But given that there is no sign of WMF willing to keep
> advocacy within its core mission, I would like to know where can we propose
> and discuss advocacy areas? There is a number of issues that affect the
> work of Wikimedians that would need to be prioritized.
>
> Best,
>
> Mario

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Hi Gregory,

I just looked quickly at the new site, which is a very refreshing change,
and I'll send later more detailed feedback...

But I must say I really like the leadership page:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/role/leadership/

Not from a design, content or functional point of view, but because I suddenly
noticed that most of the leadership team were women, which made me really
proud. It's so not obvious.

*Itzik Edri*
Chairperson
[hidden email]
+972-54-5878078

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:51 AM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
> and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
> week!
>
> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
> browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> So what comes next?
>
> Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team
> will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations
> for translations.
>
> Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors
> around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French,
> German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft
> launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a
> more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally
> implementing usage of it.
>
> Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.
>

> What about the old website?
>
> The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming
> weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue
> to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like
> policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional
> information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating
> archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.
>

> What else should I know?
>
> There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to
> share with all of you! More information about office hours will available
> in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and
> contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>

> Thank you!
>
> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
> work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are
> very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was
> only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>
> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather,
> Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>
> -greg
>
> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Isarra Yos
Is there any way for us (others outside the team) to file bulk
tasks/apply fixes to this? Is the source in gerrit/tasks tracked in
phabricator, or is it somewhere else?

-I

On 02/08/18 01:51, Gregory Varnum wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this week!
>
> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> So what comes next?
>
> Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations for translations.
>
> Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally implementing usage of it.
>
> Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.
>

> What about the old website?
>
> The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.
>

> What else should I know?
>
> There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to share with all of you! More information about office hours will available in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>

> Thank you!
>
> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions, work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>
> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather, Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>
> -greg
>
> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Subhashish Panigrahi
Wow. Really impressive, modern and colorful. The type look quite bold and
the overall flow is pleasant. The theme somehow felt a bit like Mozilla
sites as well (in a good way). Congratulations comms. <3

Subhashish

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 7:21 AM, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
> and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
> week!
>
> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
> browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> So what comes next?
>
> Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team
> will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations
> for translations.
>
> Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors
> around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French,
> German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft
> launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a
> more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally
> implementing usage of it.
>
> Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.
>

> What about the old website?
>
> The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming
> weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue
> to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like
> policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional
> information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating
> archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.
>

> What else should I know?
>
> There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to
> share with all of you! More information about office hours will available
> in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and
> contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>

> Thank you!
>
> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
> work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are
> very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was
> only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>
> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather,
> Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>
> -greg
>
> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Jeremy Lee-Jenkins
I like it. I do feel the Wikimedia foundation is diverging from it's
previous role as custodian of Wikipedia, and becoming a international
advocacy group. I feel this change is welcome and will help develop the
Creative Commons mission beyond just Wikipedia and it's sister sites.

I take it the design of the site is CC-BY-SA-4.0, this is nice since it
allows others to copy the design.

Overall it's an improvement from the previous site.

Warm Regards

Jeremy Lee-Jenkins

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > Thank you!
> >
> > The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
> > work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We
> are
> > very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which
> was
> > only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
> >
> > On behalf of the Communications department and core website team
> (Heather,
> > Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
> >
> > -greg
> >
> > -------
> > Gregory Varnum
> > Communications Strategist
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > [hidden email]
> > Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Adam Wight-2
Nice work!

I checked on my own face on the staff page and would like to request two
changes:

Please change my name to "Adam Wight", the longer name was silly.
Also, please change the image to
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Adam_Roses_Wight.jpg , I donno why
it was reset to the missing image.

Thanks,
Adam

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
> and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
> week!
>
> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
> browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> So what comes next?
>
> Throughout this week, the Communications department and core website team
> will be doing final tweaks and quality assurance testing in preparations
> for translations.
>
> Over the coming weeks we will be working with affiliates and contributors
> around the world to make the site in available in Arabic, Chinese, French,
> German, Russian, and Spanish - in addition to the English version soft
> launched today. Once the translations are completed, we will be doing a
> more public announcement regarding the new website and begin more formally
> implementing usage of it.
>
> Additionally, we will be holding office hours in the coming weeks.
>

> What about the old website?
>
> The old website (aka Foundation Wiki) will be given new life in the coming
> weeks as the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki - where it will continue
> to house important documentation for the Wikimedia Foundation like
> policies, board resolutions and minutes, legal documents, etc. Additional
> information on the changes coming to that wiki and the plans for migrating
> archived content to Meta-Wiki will be available in the coming weeks.
>

> What else should I know?
>
> There is a lot of great things about this new website we are excited to
> share with all of you! More information about office hours will available
> in the coming weeks. Until then, we encourage you to take a look and
> contact me directly if you find any bugs, typos, or have any comments.
>

> Thank you!
>
> The Communications department greatly appreciates all of the discussions,
> work, and patience everyone has put into this gigantic undertaking. We are
> very close to the finish line, and today marks a significant step which was
> only possible with the help of the 100+ people involved.
>
> On behalf of the Communications department and core website team (Heather,
> Zack, Katherine, Mel, and Greg),
>
> -greg
>
> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Communications Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

MZMcBride-2
Gregory Varnum wrote:
>After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
>and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
>week!
>
>You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
>browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/

The English home page inexplicably has German text at the top. I'm
super-confused how nobody has noticed or fixed this yet, given how
prominent it is on the page. It's also now been there long enough that
Google search results are including it. Woof.

It's very sad that the Wikimedia Foundation Inc. communications department
unilaterally decided to move away from MediaWiki to WordPress. And in the
process, your team made the site a lot less accessible to edits and
changes. Many people, including employees of Wikimedia Foundation Inc. and
volunteers, repeatedly raised objections to this decision to move to
WordPress and they were ignored. I think this type of behavior by the
communications department is really inappropriate, unbecoming, and
inconsistent with Wikimedia's values.

I also agree with Yair Rand that the focus on "Advocacy" is misplaced.

MZMcBride

MZMcBride wrote:

>Gregory Varnum wrote:
>>After many months of work by over 100 individuals around the organization
>>and movement, the Wikimedia Foundation's new website soft launched this
>>week!
>>
>>You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
>>browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>
>The English home page inexplicably has German text at the top. I'm
>super-confused how nobody has noticed or fixed this yet, given how
>prominent it is on the page. It's also now been there long enough that
>Google search results are including it. Woof.

Ah, I see now. This is just some cruel waste of staff and volunteer time:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T200742>. You ask for people to
point out issues, even providing a link to Phabricator Maniphest, and then
gaslight them by closing the tasks and telling them that the very obvious
bug is intentional.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Saint Johann
Sorry to interrupt from cheering to a ‘walled garden’, and I don’t want
to be negative, but there are some important questions about this
endeavour that weren’t answered while the site was being developed:
1. Is the translation of the new site easily available for volunteers? I
see only ‘English’ in the options, and from my knowledge (I might be
wrong, that’s what I am aware of), current translators of new website
have to provide their translations by email (!).
2. Who’s going to fix the links to the old website?
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/test doesn’t work anymore − and
there are probably hundreds of non-interwiki links scrambled around
Wikimedia projects, and I would guess across the Internet as well.
3. Was it so hard to develop the website using MediaWiki platform (and
your soon-to-be-deprecated website) instead of WordPress? There’s really
nothing that unusual there that warranted such a breaking change. It’s
kind of laughable that OSM Foundation can use and customise MediaWiki,
but Wikimedia Foundation that directly supports its development can not.

The current trend for English-only, non-translatable websites for
Wikimedia Foundation is, frankly, shameful. We get that you are an
American organisation, but you’re, after all, an organisation that
represents a global movement.
— Public Policy website is English-only for three years or so already
since its existence. (https://policy.wikimedia.org)
— Transparency Reports website is also English-only since its existence.
(https://transparency.wikimedia.org)
— Donation information website features multilingual text, but it’s
designed in such a way that most of people won’t know how to use it.
(https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/Problems_donating)
Now the head website is being made English-only without any simple and
visible ability to get involved because of preferring WordPress to an
easily localisable system like MediaWiki.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Pine W
 Greg, while mentioning that there are talk pages and Phabricator tasks is
fine, the issues and questions raised on this mailing list are on topic and
not so specific that moving them off list seems necessary. I think that you
should generally respond to questions and comments here if they were raised
here. If the discussions become highly specific then yes moving them to
talk pages or Phabricator could be better.

MZMcBride, you may disagree with Greg on whether an issue is a bug or a
feature, or whether a bug/feature is a good idea, but you could express
that view in a way that assumes good faith unless evidence emerges to the
contrary.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Andy Mabbett-2
On 2 August 2018 at 02:51, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/

The home page currently says:

   " Everything on a Wikimedia site is available as Creative Commons material. "

That is not true. Material includes:

* PD content (copyright expires; US government, etc)
* Fair-use copyright material.

In the latter case, suggesting otherwise could be harmful to our users.

Furthermore, the "Sesame Street" image used on the site's home page
and the linked article, is labelled on Commons: "This work might not
be available under a free license in the United States because it is
based on an artwork or sculpture that may be protected by copyright
under U.S. law."

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Yair Rand
There are several more issues I've noticed with the new website:
* According to the notice at the bottom, the company "Automattic Inc." is
receiving all sorts of data about all visitors to the site, including
location information, cookie data, data from pixel tags/web beacons used to
track visitors and target ads on other WordPress sites, and other data.
* The "non-wiki privacy policy of the Wikimedia Foundation" linked at the
bottom is different than the regular privacy policy. Why is this?
* Much of the content is essentially English-Wikipedia-only. "Visit The
Teahouse for a friendly place to learn about editing" Most Wikipedias don't
have teahouses or equivalents.
* In "Wikimedia projects": "Wikipedia - All the world's knowledge". See
[[Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not an indiscriminate collection of information]].
* "Working with partners like Google, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and
UNESCO, Wikimedia...". I don't think most Wikimedians are okay with the WMF
describing Google as among its partners. Nor the Met or UNESCO, for that
matter.
* In the "Technology" section, there's a paragraph devoted to bragging
about how NASA has an internal Mediawiki wiki. I don't think that belongs
there.
* The actual Wikimedia Foundation Mission is kind of buried deep in the
site. The Mission is the definitive version of what the WMF is supposed to
be doing, and I really think it should be highlighted somewhere in a more
prominent position.

"The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people
around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free
license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and
globally.

In collaboration with a network of chapters, the Wikimedia Foundation
provides the essential infrastructure and an organizational framework for
the support and development of multilingual wiki projects and other
endeavors which serve this mission. The Foundation will make and keep
useful information from its projects available on the Internet free of
charge, in perpetuity."

-- Yair Rand

> On 2 August 2018 at 02:51, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You can check it out for yourself here (you may need to clear your
> browser's cache):  https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>
> The home page currently says:
>
>    " Everything on a Wikimedia site is available as Creative Commons
> material. "
>
> That is not true. Material includes:
>
> * PD content (copyright expires; US government, etc)
> * Fair-use copyright material.
>
> In the latter case, suggesting otherwise could be harmful to our users.
>

> Furthermore, the "Sesame Street" image used on the site's home page
> and the linked article, is labelled on Commons: "This work might not
> be available under a free license in the United States because it is
> based on an artwork or sculpture that may be protected by copyright
> under U.S. law."
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Chico Venancio
Indeed an special watered down privacy policy is strange. It is worth
noting that the standard privacy policy[1] does not state that it only
applies to "wiki based websites" but instead lists what it does and does
not cover[2], the only interpretation that allows a separate policy for the
new website weirdly leaves* https://wikimediafoundation.org/
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/> as being defined to not be a major site
of WMF. *

Irregardless of possible poor wording of both privacy policies, I find it
strange that the main website for WMF has a tracking pixel and forces
visitors to provide users' personal information (as defined by either
privacy policies) to Google and Wordpress.com.

Perhaps this is something WMF could revisit?

Best regards,
Chico Venancio

[1]https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
[2]https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy#coverage

> [...]
> >
> > The home page currently says:
> >
> >    " Everything on a Wikimedia site is available as Creative Commons
> > material. "
> >
> > That is not true. Material includes:
> >
> > * PD content (copyright expires; US government, etc)
> > * Fair-use copyright material.
> >
> > In the latter case, suggesting otherwise could be harmful to our users.
> >

> > Furthermore, the "Sesame Street" image used on the site's home page
> > and the linked article, is labelled on Commons: "This work might not
> > be available under a free license in the United States because it is
> > based on an artwork or sculpture that may be protected by copyright
> > under U.S. law."
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Lodewijk
I can imagine that this alternate privacy policy is actually covering a
wider range of sites that are non-wiki, such as the fundraising
infrastructure and the survey websites, voting websites etc. Rather than
having a different privacy policy for each of those instances, I think it
is actually clearer to have two policies: one for the content delivery (the
'wikis') that have practically zero cookie tracking to the best of my
knowledge and one for the other websites that may require other methods to
be functional.

As a sidenote, I think it actually could be a totally fair statement to say
that wikimediafoundation.org is, relative to the content projects, not a
'major site' of the WMF. It is supporting infrastructure at best. (no
offense :) )

Lodewijk

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:23 AM Chico Venancio <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > The home page currently says:
> > >
> > >    " Everything on a Wikimedia site is available as Creative Commons
> > > material. "
> > >
> > > That is not true. Material includes:
> > >
> > > * PD content (copyright expires; US government, etc)
> > > * Fair-use copyright material.
> > >
> > > In the latter case, suggesting otherwise could be harmful to our users.
> > >

> > > Furthermore, the "Sesame Street" image used on the site's home page
> > > and the linked article, is labelled on Commons: "This work might not
> > > be available under a free license in the United States because it is
> > > based on an artwork or sculpture that may be protected by copyright
> > > under U.S. law."
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andy Mabbett
> > > @pigsonthewing
> > > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New Wikimedia Foundation has soft launched!

Peter Coombe-2
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 at 21:45, Saint Johann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> — Donation information website features multilingual text, but it’s
> designed in such a way that most of people won’t know how to use it.
> (https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/Problems_donating)

Thank you for this feedback. You're not the only person to raise concerns
about the usability of the translations bar on donate.wikimedia.org. We're
going to look into some alternatives.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T201446