[Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Danny Horn
Hi everyone,

The Community Tech team has released a new security feature this week:
LoginNotify, which gives you a notification when someone tries and fails to
log in to your account. This project was wish #7 on the 2016 Community
Wishlist Survey [1].

Here’s how it works:

If someone tries and fails to log in to your account from a device or an IP
address that hasn’t logged into your account recently, then you’ll get an
on-wiki notification at the first attempt. For a familiar device or IP
address, you’ll get an on-wiki notification after 5 failed logins. This is
on by default, but you can turn it off in your preferences; you can also
turn on email notifications.

It’s also possible to turn on email notifications when there’s a successful
login from a new device or IP address. This is turned off by default, but
it might be useful for admins or other functionaries who are concerned that
their user rights could be misused. This means that you’ll get a
notification every time you log in from a new device or IP address.

We want to take this opportunity to thank Brian Wolff for all his work in
writing the underlying extension for this feature.

There’s more information on the feature on the Community Tech project page
on Meta, and please feel free to post questions on the talk page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/LoginNotify

PS: If you’re wondering what happened to the Syntax Highlighting beta
feature that we deployed a couple weeks ago and then had to roll back:
it’ll be back soon!

[1]: 2016 Community Wishlist Survey:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Todd Allen
Great to see this, thanks!

Todd

On Aug 18, 2017 5:15 PM, "Danny Horn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The Community Tech team has released a new security feature this week:
> LoginNotify, which gives you a notification when someone tries and fails to
> log in to your account. This project was wish #7 on the 2016 Community
> Wishlist Survey [1].
>
> Here’s how it works:
>
> If someone tries and fails to log in to your account from a device or an IP
> address that hasn’t logged into your account recently, then you’ll get an
> on-wiki notification at the first attempt. For a familiar device or IP
> address, you’ll get an on-wiki notification after 5 failed logins. This is
> on by default, but you can turn it off in your preferences; you can also
> turn on email notifications.
>
> It’s also possible to turn on email notifications when there’s a successful
> login from a new device or IP address. This is turned off by default, but
> it might be useful for admins or other functionaries who are concerned that
> their user rights could be misused. This means that you’ll get a
> notification every time you log in from a new device or IP address.
>
> We want to take this opportunity to thank Brian Wolff for all his work in
> writing the underlying extension for this feature.
>
> There’s more information on the feature on the Community Tech project page
> on Meta, and please feel free to post questions on the talk page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/LoginNotify
>
> PS: If you’re wondering what happened to the Syntax Highlighting beta
> feature that we deployed a couple weeks ago and then had to roll back:
> it’ll be back soon!
>
> [1]: 2016 Community Wishlist Survey:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Gnangarra
thats a great outcome, thanks to those that have made this happen

On 19 August 2017 at 07:19, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great to see this, thanks!
>
> Todd
>
> On Aug 18, 2017 5:15 PM, "Danny Horn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > The Community Tech team has released a new security feature this week:
> > LoginNotify, which gives you a notification when someone tries and fails
> > log in to your account. This project was wish #7 on the 2016 Community
> > Wishlist Survey [1].
> >
> > Here’s how it works:
> >
> > If someone tries and fails to log in to your account from a device or an
> IP
> > address that hasn’t logged into your account recently, then you’ll get an
> > on-wiki notification at the first attempt. For a familiar device or IP
> > address, you’ll get an on-wiki notification after 5 failed logins. This
> is
> > on by default, but you can turn it off in your preferences; you can also
> > turn on email notifications.
> >
> > It’s also possible to turn on email notifications when there’s a
> successful
> > login from a new device or IP address. This is turned off by default, but
> > it might be useful for admins or other functionaries who are concerned
> that
> > their user rights could be misused. This means that you’ll get a
> > notification every time you log in from a new device or IP address.
> >
> > We want to take this opportunity to thank Brian Wolff for all his work in
> > writing the underlying extension for this feature.
> >
> > There’s more information on the feature on the Community Tech project
> page
> > on Meta, and please feel free to post questions on the talk page:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/LoginNotify
> >
> > PS: If you’re wondering what happened to the Syntax Highlighting beta
> > feature that we deployed a couple weeks ago and then had to roll back:
> > it’ll be back soon!
> >
> > [1]: 2016 Community Wishlist Survey:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

jmh649
Once again great stuff from the community tech team. Many thanks :-)

James

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thats a great outcome, thanks to those that have made this happen
>
> On 19 August 2017 at 07:19, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Great to see this, thanks!
> >
> > Todd
> >
> > On Aug 18, 2017 5:15 PM, "Danny Horn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > The Community Tech team has released a new security feature this week:
> > > LoginNotify, which gives you a notification when someone tries and
> fails
> > > log in to your account. This project was wish #7 on the 2016 Community
> > > Wishlist Survey [1].
> > >
> > > Here’s how it works:
> > >
> > > If someone tries and fails to log in to your account from a device or
> an
> > IP
> > > address that hasn’t logged into your account recently, then you’ll get
> an
> > > on-wiki notification at the first attempt. For a familiar device or IP
> > > address, you’ll get an on-wiki notification after 5 failed logins. This
> > is
> > > on by default, but you can turn it off in your preferences; you can
> also
> > > turn on email notifications.
> > >
> > > It’s also possible to turn on email notifications when there’s a
> > successful
> > > login from a new device or IP address. This is turned off by default,
> but
> > > it might be useful for admins or other functionaries who are concerned
> > that
> > > their user rights could be misused. This means that you’ll get a
> > > notification every time you log in from a new device or IP address.
> > >
> > > We want to take this opportunity to thank Brian Wolff for all his work
> in
> > > writing the underlying extension for this feature.
> > >
> > > There’s more information on the feature on the Community Tech project
> > page
> > > on Meta, and please feel free to post questions on the talk page:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/LoginNotify
> > >
> > > PS: If you’re wondering what happened to the Syntax Highlighting beta
> > > feature that we deployed a couple weeks ago and then had to roll back:
> > > it’ll be back soon!
> > >
> > > [1]: 2016 Community Wishlist Survey:
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Nabin Sapkota
Sound's great :)

On Aug 22, 2017 12:13 PM, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once again great stuff from the community tech team. Many thanks :-)
>
> James
>
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > thats a great outcome, thanks to those that have made this happen
> >
> > On 19 August 2017 at 07:19, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Great to see this, thanks!
> > >
> > > Todd

> week:
> > fails
> Community

> > an
> > > IP
> get
> > an
> IP
> This
> > > is
> > also

> > > successful
> > but
> concerned
> > > that

> work
> > in

> > > page

> back:

> Survey/Results

> > GN.
> > President Wikimedia Australia
> > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

NC Hasive
Cool!

Hasive

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Nabin K. Sapkota <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sound's great :)
>
> On Aug 22, 2017 12:13 PM, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Once again great stuff from the community tech team. Many thanks :-)
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > thats a great outcome, thanks to those that have made this happen

> > week:
> > > fails
> > Community

> or
> > > an
> > get
> > > an
> > IP
> > This
> > > also

> default,
> > > but
> > concerned

> > work
> > > in

> project

> beta
> > back:

> > Survey/Results
> unsubscribe>
> > > >

> > > --
> > > GN.
> > > President Wikimedia Australia
> > > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>
fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Tanweer Morshed
That's awesome. Thanks to the tech team!

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017, Nurunnaby Hasive <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool!
>
> Hasive
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Nabin K. Sapkota <
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Sound's great :)
> >
> > On Aug 22, 2017 12:13 PM, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > > Once again great stuff from the community tech team. Many thanks :-)
> > >
> > > James

> > > week:
> and
> > > Community

> device
> > or
> you’ll
> > > get
> or
> > > IP
> logins.
> > > This
> can

> > default,
> > > concerned
> address.

> > > work

> > project

> > beta
> > > back:

> > > Survey/Results
> ?subject=
> > unsubscribe>
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

> *Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
> User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
> GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752
> ​
> Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> user:Hasive>
> Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>
> fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
> <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | www.nhasive.com

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Fæ
Neat feature.

Who has access to the logs, and for how long will the logs be retained?

Thanks,
Fae
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LGBT+
http://telegram.me/wmlgbt

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New feature: LoginNotify

Danny Horn
The only log is a temporary debug log, which we're using to investigate
some bug reports. They're only accessible to people with shell access to
the production servers -- Foundation staff, and people who have signed
non-disclosure agreements. We won't retain them for longer than ninety
days.

Danny