[Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

[Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

David Saroyan
Dear all,

I'm pleased to announce that the efforts of Wikimedia Armenia to get
separate ISO 639-3 language code for Western Armenian [1] were finally
succeeded. SIL International, the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority, decided
to create the code element [hyw] for Western Armenian. [2]

We initiated this process three years ago when we started the collaboration
with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [3] in order to foster and improve
free content in Western Armenian. This resulted in "Western Armenian
project" where Wikimedia Armenia through different events and activities
started to disseminate and support the creation of Western Armenian content
with the help of local and diasporan Western Armenian community members.

From the launch of the "Western Armenian project" we were challenged with
the problem that Western Armenian has no ISO 639-3 language code which did
not allow the community to split Western Armenian content into a separate
language Wikipedia. This problem made lots of  trouble for us, as hy.wiki
often had two versions of the same page.

Wikimedia Armenia with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation eventually decided to
apply for code split. [4] This was done mainly with the help of Michael
Everson. [5] Besides WM AM and Armenian Communities Department of Calouste
Gulbenkian foundation there were also other parties involved, such as the
department of Armenian Studies of the Institut National des Langues et
Civilisations Orientales, Paris and other academic institutions.

Today is a special day for Wikimedia Armenia and Western Armenian speaking
community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
supported us in this work.

Best,
Davit Saroyan
Program Manager
Wikimedia Armenia

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
2.
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_Comments_2017-023.pdf
3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

Delphine Ménard -2
Congratulations to Wikimedia Armenia for those truly great efforts!

best,

Delphine

> Dear all,
>
> I'm pleased to announce that the efforts of Wikimedia Armenia to get
> separate ISO 639-3 language code for Western Armenian [1] were finally
> succeeded. SIL International, the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority, decided
> to create the code element [hyw] for Western Armenian. [2]
>
> We initiated this process three years ago when we started the collaboration
> with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [3] in order to foster and improve
> free content in Western Armenian. This resulted in "Western Armenian
> project" where Wikimedia Armenia through different events and activities
> started to disseminate and support the creation of Western Armenian content
> with the help of local and diasporan Western Armenian community members.
>
> From the launch of the "Western Armenian project" we were challenged with
> the problem that Western Armenian has no ISO 639-3 language code which did
> not allow the community to split Western Armenian content into a separate
> language Wikipedia. This problem made lots of  trouble for us, as hy.wiki
> often had two versions of the same page.
>
> Wikimedia Armenia with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation eventually decided to
> apply for code split. [4] This was done mainly with the help of Michael
> Everson. [5] Besides WM AM and Armenian Communities Department of Calouste
> Gulbenkian foundation there were also other parties involved, such as the
> department of Armenian Studies of the Institut National des Langues et
> Civilisations Orientales, Paris and other academic institutions.
>
> Today is a special day for Wikimedia Armenia and Western Armenian speaking
> community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
> supported us in this work.
>
> Best,
> Davit Saroyan
> Program Manager
> Wikimedia Armenia
>

> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
> 2.
> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_
> Comments_2017-023.pdf
> 3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
> 4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
> 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

Delphine Ménard
Program Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

Alphos OGame
That's fantastic !

Proof, if it was ever needed, that the Wikimedia movement can have an effect on the "outside world" other than collecting and providing information ; Wikimedia Armenia actually took the leading part in bettering an international standard !

My most heartfelt congratulations :-)

Alphos

> Le 1 févr. 2018 à 00:00, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Congratulations to Wikimedia Armenia for those truly great efforts!
>
> best,
>
> Delphine

>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce that the efforts of Wikimedia Armenia to get
>> separate ISO 639-3 language code for Western Armenian [1] were finally
>> succeeded. SIL International, the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority, decided
>> to create the code element [hyw] for Western Armenian. [2]
>>
>> We initiated this process three years ago when we started the collaboration
>> with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [3] in order to foster and improve
>> free content in Western Armenian. This resulted in "Western Armenian
>> project" where Wikimedia Armenia through different events and activities
>> started to disseminate and support the creation of Western Armenian content
>> with the help of local and diasporan Western Armenian community members.
>>
>> From the launch of the "Western Armenian project" we were challenged with
>> the problem that Western Armenian has no ISO 639-3 language code which did
>> not allow the community to split Western Armenian content into a separate
>> language Wikipedia. This problem made lots of  trouble for us, as hy.wiki
>> often had two versions of the same page.
>>
>> Wikimedia Armenia with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation eventually decided to
>> apply for code split. [4] This was done mainly with the help of Michael
>> Everson. [5] Besides WM AM and Armenian Communities Department of Calouste
>> Gulbenkian foundation there were also other parties involved, such as the
>> department of Armenian Studies of the Institut National des Langues et
>> Civilisations Orientales, Paris and other academic institutions.
>>
>> Today is a special day for Wikimedia Armenia and Western Armenian speaking
>> community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
>> supported us in this work.
>>
>> Best,
>> Davit Saroyan
>> Program Manager
>> Wikimedia Armenia
>>

>> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
>> 2.
>> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_
>> Comments_2017-023.pdf
>> 3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
>> 4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
>> 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

> Delphine Ménard
> Program Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

Cornelius Kibelka
This is really great! Congratulations to this success to both of you,
Wikimedia Armenia and the Gulbenkian Foundation!

I really appreciate to see that creating and preserving Free Knowledge can
have such an influence on official language policies :)

Best regards
Cornelius

On 1 February 2018 at 00:00, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations to Wikimedia Armenia for those truly great efforts!
>
> best,
>
> Delphine

> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that the efforts of Wikimedia Armenia to get
> > separate ISO 639-3 language code for Western Armenian [1] were finally
> > succeeded. SIL International, the ISO 639-3 Registration Authority,
> decided
> > to create the code element [hyw] for Western Armenian. [2]
> >
> > We initiated this process three years ago when we started the
> collaboration
> > with the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [3] in order to foster and
> improve
> > free content in Western Armenian. This resulted in "Western Armenian
> > project" where Wikimedia Armenia through different events and activities
> > started to disseminate and support the creation of Western Armenian
> content
> > with the help of local and diasporan Western Armenian community members.
> >
> > From the launch of the "Western Armenian project" we were challenged with
> > the problem that Western Armenian has no ISO 639-3 language code which
> did
> > not allow the community to split Western Armenian content into a separate
> > language Wikipedia. This problem made lots of  trouble for us, as hy.wiki
> > often had two versions of the same page.
> >
> > Wikimedia Armenia with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation eventually decided
> > apply for code split. [4] This was done mainly with the help of Michael
> > Everson. [5] Besides WM AM and Armenian Communities Department of
> Calouste
> > Gulbenkian foundation there were also other parties involved, such as the
> > department of Armenian Studies of the Institut National des Langues et
> > Civilisations Orientales, Paris and other academic institutions.
> >
> > Today is a special day for Wikimedia Armenia and Western Armenian
> speaking
> > community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
> > supported us in this work.
> >
> > Best,
> > Davit Saroyan
> > Program Manager
> > Wikimedia Armenia
> >

> > 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
> > 2.
> > http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_
> > Comments_2017-023.pdf
> > 3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
> > 4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
> > 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

> Delphine Ménard
> Program Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)>

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
If anything it is proof that a quality standard allows for change.

In Michael Everson, a member of the standards world, we have someone who
was asked to become a member of the Wikimedia language committee. Over the
years he has provided us with several important services. This is only one.

Once we had a really strong team of people who were at the forefront of
language technology. There is no longer the same attention for  supporting
languages and the scripts used by languages. What is done at this time by
people like Santosh is done in their spare time. We could do more and we
don't. We do not support the SignWriting font even though it will support
all sign languages.

Yes, congratulations are due to Michael, to ISO, to the people who took
their time to champion the Western Armenian language and indeed, the result
is wonderful.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 1 February 2018 at 18:23, Alphos OGame <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> speaking
> >> community as our proposal was accepted. Thanks all Wikimedians who
> >> supported us in this work.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Davit Saroyan
> >> Program Manager
> >> Wikimedia Armenia
> >>

> >> 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Armenian
> >> 2.
> >> http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_
> >> Comments_2017-023.pdf
> >> 3. https://gulbenkian.pt/en/
> >> 4. http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/2017-023.pdf
> >> 5. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Everson

> > Delphine Ménard
> > Program Officer
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > User:Delphine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Delphine_(WMF)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New language code for Western Armenian language

Katherine Maher
Indeed. This is truly a remarkable effort. Congratulations.

Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation

1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104