[Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

[Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Joseph Seddon-6
Hey Wikimedia-l

Apologies for the short notice.

I wanted to give you a heads up on a banner test that will soon be going
live.

We've been working on a new style of banner that is specifically designed
to have the same native look and feel as the rest of the site and
interface. It's intended to be understated and you'll see is very different
to our currently best performing banner:

Current:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_cnt&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA

New Native feel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA

Any feedback is welcome.

Regards

--
Seddon

*Advancement Associate (Community Engagement)*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> New Native feel:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_
> 0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA

Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Lodewijk
Hey Brad,

I can see that confusing people is not what we should be aiming for :)
Would it help sooth your mind when there is a clear distinction between
content and banner, even if the look and feel is the same? (I can imagine
that you could accomplish this by doing the banner at full site width, for
example)
Just thinking out loud here, because I can resonate with your objection to
this particular design - but at the same time I recognize that community
members have been asking Fundraising to make the banners less 'in your
face' and 'ad-like' (which is by far the obvious way to make sure nobody
gets confused about the seperation).

Best,
Lodewijk

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > New Native feel:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_
> > 0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA
> >

> Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
> This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
> readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.
>
> --
> Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> Senior Software Engineer
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I can see that confusing people is not what we should be aiming for :)
> Would it help sooth your mind when there is a clear distinction between
> content and banner, even if the look and feel is the same? (I can imagine
> that you could accomplish this by doing the banner at full site width, for
> example)

I suspect making a clear distinction and making it use the same look and
feel are opposing goals. But I'm not a very good designer, maybe you can
make it work somehow.

> but at the same time I recognize that community
> members have been asking Fundraising to make the banners less 'in your
> face' and 'ad-like' (which is by far the obvious way to make sure nobody
> gets confused about the seperation).

My gut feeling there is that those people will consider a full-page ad as
being "in your face" whether it looks like a traditional banner or like
content.

Personally, I'd rather have clearly demarcated ads. When ads try to blend
into content too well, I feel like the advertiser is trying to trick me.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Shlomi Fish
Hi all,

On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:51:02 -0400
"Brad Jorsch (Anomie)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > New Native feel:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_
> > 0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA
> >

> Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
> This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
> readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.

to me the new banner looks more attractive, less intrusive and cleaner, but I
agree with Brad's sentiment that it looks too much like the main page's
content. Just my 20 agoroth.

Regards,

        Shlomi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Michael Peel-2

> On 23 Aug 2017, at 13:36, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:51:02 -0400
> "Brad Jorsch (Anomie)" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> New Native feel:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_
>>> 0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA
>>>

>> Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
>> This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
>> readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.
>>

> to me the new banner looks more attractive, less intrusive and cleaner, but I
> agree with Brad's sentiment that it looks too much like the main page's
> content. Just my 20 agoroth.

+1. At the least it needs some sort of a border around it to separate it from the article text, so it doesn't look like an article section at first glance.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Michael Maggs
When viewed on my iPhone the 'New Native Feel' version has *five* full
screens of text headed 'To all our readers in the US'.  To be honest,
unless I had known about this in advance I would have thought I'd been
directed to the wrong page.  I'd never bother to scroll down that far to
get to the actual content, as I would have no reason to believe I was
even in the right place to see it.

The reason it takes so many screenfuls is that all the text from 'We
will get straight to the point ..' onwards is crowed into a narrow
column on the left hand side, with the rest of the screen being blank.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Joseph Seddon wrote:

> Hey Wikimedia-l
>
> Apologies for the short notice.
>
> I wanted to give you a heads up on a banner test that will soon be going
> live.
>
> We've been working on a new style of banner that is specifically designed
> to have the same native look and feel as the rest of the site and
> interface. It's intended to be understated and you'll see is very different
> to our currently best performing banner:
>
> Current:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_cnt&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA
>
> New Native feel:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein?banner=B1718_0823_en6C_dsk_p1_lg_dsn_native&force=1&country=US&uselang=QA
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
>
> Regards

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
On 8/23/17 2:33 PM, Michael Peel wrote:

> On 23 Aug 2017, at 13:36, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 11:51:02 -0400
> "Brad Jorsch (Anomie)" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
>>> This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
>>> readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.
>>>
>> to me the new banner looks more attractive, less intrusive and cleaner, but I
>> agree with Brad's sentiment that it looks too much like the main page's
>> content. Just my 20 agoroth.
> +1. At the least it needs some sort of a border around it to separate it from the article text, so it doesn't look like an article section at first glance.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
+1 here as well. Some sort of clear separating border or shading to
distinguish the banner from the article content is needed.

- Pax aka Funcrunch

--
Pax Ahimsa Gethen | [hidden email] | http://funcrunch.org | Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Robert Fernandez
Is anyone actually confusing the banner with article content, or are they
just assuming others will do so?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Risker
I think they continue to display the absolutely most irritating behaviour
of the old banners, which is the several second delay between the screen
that shows the content, and the overlaid banner that in the "old" baner
covers the content someone has already started reading and in the "new"
banner pushes down the content almost a full screen length and makes the
reader lose his or her place.  Frankly, I don't think whether or not the
"banner" looks like content is as much an issue as getting the banner to
show up at the same time as the page content.  I've been told, without
attribution, that this is intentional in order to really draw attention to
the banners, and I periodically see it on other websites as well. My
personal response is always the same: close the overlaying window and avoid
returning to the website if I can.

Of the two, though, I prefer the banner that pushes down the content over
the one that covers it because I could still navigate through the article.
(For the record, I am on a fast computer and using the highest speed
internet available for residential use in Canada - and the second banner
managed to still freeze my computer.)

Risker/Anne

On 23 August 2017 at 22:53, Robert Fernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is anyone actually confusing the banner with article content, or are they
> just assuming others will do so?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

MZMcBride-2
Brad Jorsch (Anomie) wrote:
>Personally, I really dislike banners that try to pretend to be content.
>This one makes it look like the page is an article titled "To all our
>readers in the U.S." rather than a page with a banner on it.

This type of design is similar to, if not precisely, "native advertising"
and it should be shunned as the unethical and completely unwelcome
practice that it is.

The issue of injecting advertisements into the content area of articles
has come up repeatedly on this mailing list and elsewhere. As has the
issue of hostilely overtaking the viewing area of an article with an
obnoxious pop-up banner demanding money, not unlike ransomware. I believe
we're even still setting a cookie to hide advertisements from people who
have recently donated money. It doesn't seem like a very far stretch to
darkly think of this type of behavior as extortive and pay-to-play.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Peter Southwood
The old style is excessively large and in your face. The new style is almost, but not quite as bad. The content remains offensive and misleading
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Sam Wilson
"Offensive" seems a bit over the top! Who's it offending? Seems pretty
okay to me, personally. :-)

Anyway, the only thing I notice with it is that it starts with "We
will..." and then says "When I made..." etc. Shouldn't these pronouns
agree?

—Sam.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, at 04:07 PM, Peter Southwood wrote:

> The old style is excessively large and in your face. The new style is
> almost, but not quite as bad. The content remains offensive and
> misleading
> Cheers,
> Peter

Robert,
We were warned, so it would be very strange if we did.
You should survey a different sample to get realistic results.
Or is this a rhetorical question?
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New style banner - A heads up

Peter Southwood
Sam,
I can't get back to the banner for some reason, so I risk misquoting it. Please take this into account.
What I find offensive is the implication that the foundation would even have Wikipedia if they were doing it commercially. I and a significant number of other contributors would not have helped make it what it is today if it had been a commercial site. To support this opinion, there do not appear to be any commercial projects of this type even vaguely approaching the success of Wikipedia. The banner implies that there would be a roughly equivalent project available to sell. This I find offensive as it denigrates the voluntary contributions done by all the unpaid contributors.
I see this as misrepresentation and disrespect to the crowd that is the source of the product, therefore offensive.
It is possible that I am alone in this opinion, but I suggest that a survey of the people who actually created and maintain the content of Wikipedia would show that I am not.
At this point, I suggest that WMF do just that, run a survey to find out who builds the encyclopaedia, and how they feel about this. The golden rule of crowdsourcing is don’t alienate the crowd, especially when they are doing your work for free. The one thing we ask in return for our work is a little recognition and respect, and to know that we do a thing intrinsically worth doing. Again, I realise I do not necessarily speak for everyone, but suspect that I speak for many.
Cheers,
Peter

"Offensive" seems a bit over the top! Who's it offending? Seems pretty okay to me, personally. :-)

Anyway, the only thing I notice with it is that it starts with "We will..." and then says "When I made..." etc. Shouldn't these pronouns agree?

—Sam.

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, at 04:07 PM, Peter Southwood wrote:

> The old style is excessively large and in your face. The new style is
> almost, but not quite as bad. The content remains offensive and
> misleading Cheers, Peter

Peter,

Fair enough, I agree that the idea that Wikimedia would have been a
success if it'd be made commercial is crazy. "Has it crossed my mind how
much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be the
same." reads to me as just a hypothetical "if it were as it is today
*and* had ads", rather than any serious suggestion that that would ever
have been the case. I reckon it makes sense to the non-editor people
it's aimed at.

Anyway, about my grammar nickpicking? ;-)

—Sam

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, at 05:06 PM, Peter Southwood wrote:

> Sam,
> I can't get back to the banner for some reason, so I risk misquoting it.
> Please take this into account.
> What I find offensive is the implication that the foundation would even
> have Wikipedia if they were doing it commercially. I and a significant
> number of other contributors would not have helped make it what it is
> today if it had been a commercial site. To support this opinion, there do
> not appear to be any commercial projects of this type even vaguely
> approaching the success of Wikipedia. The banner implies that there would
> be a roughly equivalent project available to sell. This I find offensive
> as it denigrates the voluntary contributions done by all the unpaid
> contributors.
> I see this as misrepresentation and disrespect to the crowd that is the
> source of the product, therefore offensive.
> It is possible that I am alone in this opinion, but I suggest that a
> survey of the people who actually created and maintain the content of
> Wikipedia would show that I am not.
> At this point, I suggest that WMF do just that, run a survey to find out
> who builds the encyclopaedia, and how they feel about this. The golden
> rule of crowdsourcing is don’t alienate the crowd, especially when they
> are doing your work for free. The one thing we ask in return for our work
> is a little recognition and respect, and to know that we do a thing
> intrinsically worth doing. Again, I realise I do not necessarily speak
> for everyone, but suspect that I speak for many.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Samuel Patton
Hi all, happy Friday. I'm a member of the foundation's online fundraising
team and wanted to add a few points and answers to this good discussion.
I'll use bullet-points to separate each topic:

   - For clarification, this was a 1-hour test that ran from 15 to 16 UTC
   on Wednesday. We haven't adopted this style. And in terms of donor
   conversion, this banner variant lost to our control.

   - As Lodewijk stated above, we were interested in this test precisely
   because various community members have asked us to bring our banner more
   inline with the rest of Wikipedia's content. We have adopted elements of
   the MediaWiki OOjs UI and are interested in doing more.

   - This banner only ran for desktop and laptop users; not mobile or
   tablet.

   - We do not deliberately delay the loading of our banner content to draw
   attention to it and, generally, we try to minimize browser reflow as much
   as possible. CentralNotice simply loads after the rest of the page.

   - Thank you for the feedback regarding the copy you saw, from tone and
   pronoun usage to themes. We want to craft messaging that accurately
   represents the mission and values of Wikipedia while allowing us to hit our
   fundraising goals. Your comments matter and will continue to help guide the
   development of our appeals.

sam

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 5:37 AM, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Fair enough, I agree that the idea that Wikimedia would have been a
> success if it'd be made commercial is crazy. "Has it crossed my mind how
> much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be the
> same." reads to me as just a hypothetical "if it were as it is today
> *and* had ads", rather than any serious suggestion that that would ever
> have been the case. I reckon it makes sense to the non-editor people
> it's aimed at.
>
> Anyway, about my grammar nickpicking? ;-)
>
> —Sam
>
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, at 05:06 PM, Peter Southwood wrote:
> > Sam,
> > I can't get back to the banner for some reason, so I risk misquoting it.
> > Please take this into account.
> > What I find offensive is the implication that the foundation would even
> > have Wikipedia if they were doing it commercially. I and a significant
> > number of other contributors would not have helped make it what it is
> > today if it had been a commercial site. To support this opinion, there do
> > not appear to be any commercial projects of this type even vaguely
> > approaching the success of Wikipedia. The banner implies that there would
> > be a roughly equivalent project available to sell. This I find offensive
> > as it denigrates the voluntary contributions done by all the unpaid
> > contributors.
> > I see this as misrepresentation and disrespect to the crowd that is the
> > source of the product, therefore offensive.
> > It is possible that I am alone in this opinion, but I suggest that a
> > survey of the people who actually created and maintain the content of
> > Wikipedia would show that I am not.
> > At this point, I suggest that WMF do just that, run a survey to find out
> > who builds the encyclopaedia, and how they feel about this. The golden
> > rule of crowdsourcing is don’t alienate the crowd, especially when they
> > are doing your work for free. The one thing we ask in return for our work
> > is a little recognition and respect, and to know that we do a thing
> > intrinsically worth doing. Again, I realise I do not necessarily speak
> > for everyone, but suspect that I speak for many.
> > Cheers,
> > Peter

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,

Just a general remark.

It is actually possible to create a huge website with a lot of content,
even if you are commercial. Wikia (or "Fandom powered by Wikia) is an
example, Baidu Baike another one. Maybe its not exactly the same (sort of)
people who contribute. But I find it highly speculative that a for-profit
organization cannot make a wiki encyclopedia a success, by principle.

Having that said, I personally am very happy that Wikipedia's owner is a
non profit organization. But we should not be too self-secure about our
position - a possible "Wikipedia killer" in future could indeed come from a
commercial organization. That is one important point of the discussion
around the Wikimedia strategy, that we understand that 'we' are not
'invincible'.

Kind regards,
Ziko

Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr. 25. Aug. 2017
um 17:51:

> We should not sink to "alternative facts" Not even to the American public,
> who seem to be accustomed to them. We should provide a better example.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Andreas Kolbe-2
Sam,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Fair enough, I agree that the idea that Wikimedia would have been a
> success if it'd be made commercial is crazy.

You say that now, but originally, Wikipedia was registered as a dotcom,
with the idea that the site would host advertising one day. However, it
soon became clear that the presence of advertising would be profoundly
demotivating for Wikipedia’s unpaid volunteers.

> "Has it crossed my mind how
> much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be the
> same." reads to me as just a hypothetical "if it were as it is today
> *and* had ads", rather than any serious suggestion that that would ever
> have been the case.

It wasn't hypothetical at all 15 years ago. The entire Spanish Wikipedia
community left in 2002, starting a rival project, the Enciclopedia
Libre[1], when Bomis[2], Jimmy Wales’ company at the time, was short of
money and there was talk of introducing ads in Wikipedia.[3]

It took the Spanish Wikipedia years to catch up with (and eventually
overtake) the Enciclopedia Libre. *Thereafter*, advertising was never
seriously discussed again, and Wikipedia was promoted as a purely
altruistic endeavour.

I reckon it makes sense to the non-editor people
> it's aimed at.

It endorses and perpetuates, in the Wikimedia Foundation's voice, the myth
that Jimmy Wales is some sort of Jesus who gave up the chance to make
billions out of the kindness of his heart (rather than because volunteers
told him they wouldn't work for free to make him rich). It aggrandises
Wales while painting volunteers out of history.

As you say, "it makes sense" to the ignorant it is aimed at. (That's
actually a useful definition of "alternative facts".)

Anyway, about my grammar nickpicking? ;-)

Let's look at the current wording again:

"We will get straight to the point: Today we ask you to help Wikipedia. To
maintain our independence, we will never run ads. We depend on donations
averaging about $15. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone
reading this gave $3, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come.
The price of a coffee is all we need. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit,
people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten
site run by a non-profit and a community of volunteers. Has it crossed my
mind how much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be
the same. We wouldn’t be able to trust it. Most people ignore my messages.
But I hope you’ll think about how useful it is to have unlimited access to
reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia online and
growing. Thank you. — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder"

The shortcomings around this particular passage can be fixed. For example:

"We will get straight to the point: Today we ask you to help Wikipedia. To
maintain our independence, we will never run ads. We depend on donations
averaging about $15. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone
reading this gave $3, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come.
The price of a coffee is all we need. Wikipedia is the only top-ten site
run by a non-profit and a community of volunteers. It wouldn’t be the same
if it were a commercial project. Most people ignore our fundraising
messages. But we hope you’ll think about how useful it is to have unlimited
access to reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia online
and growing. Thank you. — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia co-founder

That has matching pronouns as well.

Andreas

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enciclopedia_Libre_Universal_en_Español
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomis