[Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

[Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

Asaf Bartov-2
Hello, everyone.

(this is an announcement in my capacity as a volunteer.)

Inspired by a lightning talk at the recent CEE Meeting[1] by our colleague
Lars Aronsson, I made a little command-line tool to automate batch
recording of pronunciations of words by native speakers, for uploading to
Commons and integration into Wiktionary etc.  It is called *pronuncify*, is
written in Ruby and uses the sox(1) tool, and should work on any modern
Linux (and possibly OS X) machine.  It is available here[2], with
instructions.

I was then asked about a Windows version, and agreed to attempt one.  This
version is called *pronuncify.net <http://pronuncify.net>*, and is a .NET
gooey GUI version of the same tool, with slightly different functions.  It
is available here[3], with instructions.

Both tools require word-list files in plaintext, with one word (or phrase)
per line.  Both tools name the files according to the standard established
in [[commons:Category:Pronunciation]], and convert them to Ogg Vorbis for
you, so they are ready to upload.

In the future, I may add OAuth-based direct uploading to Commons.  If you
run into difficulties, please file issues on GitHub, for the appropriate
tool.  Feedback is welcome.

   A.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2015/Programme/Lightning/Pronunciation_recordings_for_Wiktionary
[2] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify
[3] https://github.com/abartov/Pronuncify.net
--
    Asaf Bartov

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

Tito Dutta
This is an excellent news.

On 23 October 2015 at 08:53, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> (this is an announcement in my capacity as a volunteer.)
>
> Inspired by a lightning talk at the recent CEE Meeting[1] by our colleague
> Lars Aronsson, I made a little command-line tool to automate batch
> recording of pronunciations of words by native speakers, for uploading to
> Commons and integration into Wiktionary etc.  It is called *pronuncify*, is
> written in Ruby and uses the sox(1) tool, and should work on any modern
> Linux (and possibly OS X) machine.  It is available here[2], with
> instructions.
>
> I was then asked about a Windows version, and agreed to attempt one.  This
> version is called *pronuncify.net <http://pronuncify.net>*, and is a .NET
> gooey GUI version of the same tool, with slightly different functions.  It
> is available here[3], with instructions.
>
> Both tools require word-list files in plaintext, with one word (or phrase)
> per line.  Both tools name the files according to the standard established
> in [[commons:Category:Pronunciation]], and convert them to Ogg Vorbis for
> you, so they are ready to upload.
>
> In the future, I may add OAuth-based direct uploading to Commons.  If you
> run into difficulties, please file issues on GitHub, for the appropriate
> tool.  Feedback is welcome.
>
>    A.
>
> [1]
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2015/Programme/Lightning/Pronunciation_recordings_for_Wiktionary
> [2] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify
> [3] https://github.com/abartov/Pronuncify.net
> --
>     Asaf Bartov

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

Asaf Bartov-2
Hello, everyone.

Following Bodhisattwa's request[1], I have added an upload feature to the
(command-line) Linux version of this tool, so it can now batch-upload the
recorded pronunciation files to Commons on your behalf.

(Ideally, it should have used OAuth, but that would take longer to
implement. :))

If you want to use the new functionality, just get the latest pronuncify.rb
script from GitHub[2], *install the new dependencies* (see the README.md
file on GitHub for instructions), and enjoy! :)

(I'd love to know if any of you are using the tool.)

Cheers,

   A.

[1] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify/issues/1

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:23 PM Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> (this is an announcement in my capacity as a volunteer.)
>
> Inspired by a lightning talk at the recent CEE Meeting[1] by our colleague
> Lars Aronsson, I made a little command-line tool to automate batch
> recording of pronunciations of words by native speakers, for uploading to
> Commons and integration into Wiktionary etc.  It is called *pronuncify*,
> is written in Ruby and uses the sox(1) tool, and should work on any modern
> Linux (and possibly OS X) machine.  It is available here[2], with
> instructions.
>
> I was then asked about a Windows version, and agreed to attempt one.  This
> version is called *pronuncify.net <http://pronuncify.net>*, and is a .NET
> gooey GUI version of the same tool, with slightly different functions.  It
> is available here[3], with instructions.
>
> Both tools require word-list files in plaintext, with one word (or phrase)
> per line.  Both tools name the files according to the standard established
> in [[commons:Category:Pronunciation]], and convert them to Ogg Vorbis for
> you, so they are ready to upload.
>
> In the future, I may add OAuth-based direct uploading to Commons.  If you
> run into difficulties, please file issues on GitHub, for the appropriate
> tool.  Feedback is welcome.
>
>    A.
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2015/Programme/Lightning/Pronunciation_recordings_for_Wiktionary
> [2] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify
> [3] https://github.com/abartov/Pronuncify.net
> --
>     Asaf Bartov

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

Shani Evenstein
Very cool.
Thanks for the work & the update!

Shani.

On 27 Jan 2017 05:28, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> Following Bodhisattwa's request[1], I have added an upload feature to the
> (command-line) Linux version of this tool, so it can now batch-upload the
> recorded pronunciation files to Commons on your behalf.
>
> (Ideally, it should have used OAuth, but that would take longer to
> implement. :))
>
> If you want to use the new functionality, just get the latest pronuncify.rb
> script from GitHub[2], *install the new dependencies* (see the README.md
> file on GitHub for instructions), and enjoy! :)
>
> (I'd love to know if any of you are using the tool.)
>
> Cheers,
>
>    A.
>
> [1] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify/issues/1
> [2] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:23 PM Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, everyone.
> >
> > (this is an announcement in my capacity as a volunteer.)
> >
> > Inspired by a lightning talk at the recent CEE Meeting[1] by our
> colleague
> > Lars Aronsson, I made a little command-line tool to automate batch
> > recording of pronunciations of words by native speakers, for uploading to
> > Commons and integration into Wiktionary etc.  It is called *pronuncify*,
> > is written in Ruby and uses the sox(1) tool, and should work on any
> modern
> > Linux (and possibly OS X) machine.  It is available here[2], with
> > instructions.
> >
> > I was then asked about a Windows version, and agreed to attempt one.
> This
> > version is called *pronuncify.net <http://pronuncify.net>*, and is a
> .NET
> > gooey GUI version of the same tool, with slightly different functions.
> It
> > is available here[3], with instructions.
> >
> > Both tools require word-list files in plaintext, with one word (or
> phrase)
> > per line.  Both tools name the files according to the standard
> established
> > in [[commons:Category:Pronunciation]], and convert them to Ogg Vorbis
> for
> > you, so they are ready to upload.
> >
> > In the future, I may add OAuth-based direct uploading to Commons.  If you
> > run into difficulties, please file issues on GitHub, for the appropriate
> > tool.  Feedback is welcome.
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_
> 2015/Programme/Lightning/Pronunciation_recordings_for_Wiktionary
> > [2] https://github.com/abartov/pronuncify
> > [3] https://github.com/abartov/Pronuncify.net
> > --
> >     Asaf Bartov

Re: [Wikimedia-l] New tools: pronuncify and pronuncify.net

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Asaf,

Thanks for adding the new feature to this awesome tool. I have started
recording and uploading files to Commons using Pronuncify.  I will notify
you if I face some issues.

Best regards,
Bodhisattwa

Bodhisattwa