[Wikimedia-l] Nini kinakufanya uwe na furaha wiki hii? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 13 May 2018)

[Wikimedia-l] Nini kinakufanya uwe na furaha wiki hii? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 13 May 2018)

Pine W
From the WMF Blog:

* "The stories behind this year’s award-winning photographs from Wiki Loves
Africa":
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/05/07/wiki-loves-africa-winners/

* "Here’s everything we published from the design, development, and data
process for the page previews feature":
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/05/09/page-previews-documentation/

* "Exploring offline access to Wikipedia: WikiFundi, an editing tool for
remote schools":
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/05/10/offline-access-wikipedia-wikifundi/

From email lists:

* The This Month in GLAM newsletter for April 2018:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2018-May/090225.html

* "AdvancedSearch beta feature available on all wikis":
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-May/089950.html, from
the WMDE Technical Wishes team

* Two announcements about maps:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-May/089878.html and
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2018-May/089964.html

What's making you happy this week? You are welcome to comment in any
language.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Nini kinakufanya uwe na furaha wiki hii? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 13 May 2018)

geni
On 13 May 2018 at 01:31, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's making you happy this week?

The Gaia data release 2 data is out. Gaia being an ESA spacecraft that
is measuring the the position of about a billion stars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_(spacecraft)

The most straightforward application is you can chuck pretty much any
star in the milky way that we have an article on into the search
function at:

http://gea.esac.esa.int/archive/

And get an accurate distance to it. For example wikipedia says WR 25
is about 7500 lightyears away. Once you've converted through from
milli arcseconds (mas) Gaia says 68500 (divide by a 1000 then divide 1
by that number to get the parsecs distance then multiply by 3.26 to
get lightyears).

Beyond stars the improved Cepheid variable measurements will allow us
to update the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies
article with better data and hopefully get a new study on what is an
isn't in the local group (most of the sources I'm finding for that are
from around 2000 and things have moved on).

--
geni