[Wikimedia-l] OSM iD Editor: how a nice editing interface could engage users

[Wikimedia-l] OSM iD Editor: how a nice editing interface could engage users

Tom Morris-5
Yesterday, OpenStreetMap launched iD, an in-browser editor so that you can edit the map.

You no longer need to download JOSM, the desktop application, or use Potlatch, a Flash-based application.

When you start using iD, it gives you an introductory guide on how to edit. The app is designed to let newbies start editing very quickly and easily, without having to go and read documentation or a load of other cruft.

It's an amazing bit of open source work and has the potential for making it dramatically easier for new users to jump in and make their first edit, and then get utterly addicted.

There's a site about it here:
http://ideditor.com/

Blog post about it from the official OSM blog:
http://blog.openstreetmap.org/2013/05/07/openstreetmap-launches-all-new-easy-map-editor-and-announces-funding-appeal/

My off-the-cuff reactions:
http://tommorris.org/posts/8264 ;)

Now the Foundation just need to do the same for Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects with VisualEditor, right...?

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] OSM iD Editor: how a nice editing interface could engage users

James Forrester-4
On 8 May 2013 08:38, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yesterday, OpenStreetMap launched iD, an in-browser editor so that you can
> edit the map.
>
> You no longer need to download JOSM, the desktop application, or use
> Potlatch, a Flash-based application.
>
> When you start using iD, it gives you an introductory guide on how to
> edit. The app is designed to let newbies start editing very quickly and
> easily, without having to go and read documentation or a load of other
> cruft.
>
> It's an amazing bit of open source work and has the potential for making
> it dramatically easier for new users to jump in and make their first edit,
> and then get utterly addicted.
>
> There's a site about it here:
> http://ideditor.com/
>
> Blog post about it from the official OSM blog:
>
> http://blog.openstreetmap.org/2013/05/07/openstreetmap-launches-all-new-easy-map-editor-and-announces-funding-appeal/
>
> My off-the-cuff reactions:
> http://tommorris.org/posts/8264 ;)

​Yes, the iD editor is fantastic and OSM (with the Knight Foundation's
help) should be proud of themselves.​

> Now the Foundation just need to do the same for Wikipedia and the other
> Wikimedia projects with VisualEditor, right...?

​Well, we'll do our best. (Note, BTW, that it's not just WMF that's
involved in the development of VisualEditor and we're delighted to take on
volunteers! Don't give WMF all the credit.)

I don't think we'll have the time to make a whizzy "introduction" like iD
has before the beta launches, but we're keen to do something similar in the
short-term after that, probably working with the E3 team to extend the
"Guided Tours" tool.

​J.
--
James D. Forrester