[Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

[Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

Florence Devouard-6
This is a tool done by Envel Le Hir using WikiData and published today.

I actually inspired him the idea during a conference, when talking of my
desire to get generic data about women professionnal occupation. My main
argument is that I felt many of the added biographies about women were
about actors, singers, or football players. Much less about politicians
and business. But it was a "guess" and I wanted more hard data.

And apparently... he got busy

http://tools.dicare.org/gaps/gender.php

Ok.
Hard data (1950-2005 birth dates):
* 80% of the biographies of porn actors are about women.
* 98.3% of beauty pageant contestants are about women.
* 24% of politicians are about women
* 8.4% of computer scientists are about women.

Or ... In Algeria... the more popular occupation of women by far is...
Volley Ball !
In France... actors.
And in Guinea... well... hard to say... only 17 biographies about
Guinean women anyway.

Florence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

Sydney Poore
Fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.

Sydney

On Mar 8, 2017 8:01 AM, "Florence Devouard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a tool done by Envel Le Hir using WikiData and published today.
>
> I actually inspired him the idea during a conference, when talking of my
> desire to get generic data about women professionnal occupation. My main
> argument is that I felt many of the added biographies about women were
> about actors, singers, or football players. Much less about politicians and
> business. But it was a "guess" and I wanted more hard data.
>
> And apparently... he got busy
>
> http://tools.dicare.org/gaps/gender.php
>
> Ok.
> Hard data (1950-2005 birth dates):
> * 80% of the biographies of porn actors are about women.
> * 98.3% of beauty pageant contestants are about women.
> * 24% of politicians are about women
> * 8.4% of computer scientists are about women.
>
> Or ... In Algeria... the more popular occupation of women by far is...
> Volley Ball !
> In France... actors.
> And in Guinea... well... hard to say... only 17 biographies about Guinean
> women anyway.
>
> Florence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

Pierre-Selim
This is really interesting!

Thanks Florence for sharing!

> Fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.
>
> Sydney
>
> On Mar 8, 2017 8:01 AM, "Florence Devouard" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is a tool done by Envel Le Hir using WikiData and published today.
> >
> > I actually inspired him the idea during a conference, when talking of my
> > desire to get generic data about women professionnal occupation. My main
> > argument is that I felt many of the added biographies about women were
> > about actors, singers, or football players. Much less about politicians
> and
> > business. But it was a "guess" and I wanted more hard data.
> >
> > And apparently... he got busy
> >
> > http://tools.dicare.org/gaps/gender.php
> >
> > Ok.
> > Hard data (1950-2005 birth dates):
> > * 80% of the biographies of porn actors are about women.
> > * 98.3% of beauty pageant contestants are about women.
> > * 24% of politicians are about women
> > * 8.4% of computer scientists are about women.
> >
> > Or ... In Algeria... the more popular occupation of women by far is...
> > Volley Ball !
> > In France... actors.
> > And in Guinea... well... hard to say... only 17 biographies about Guinean
> > women anyway.
> >
> > Florence

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

Isaac Olatunde
Awesome! Thanks to  Envel Le Hir for developing this tool and Florence for sharing.

Best,

Isaac
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Occupation of Women on WikiData

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I love data. There is one fact to consider; most of the items in Wikidata
have few statements [1]. Another associated thing is that once there is a
sufficiently representative part of the data, statistically the numbers
shown by Envil Le Hir will remain similar; there will be no significant
change. However, given that people like myself have been hard at work
adding data from Wikipedias, particularly the English Wikipedia, the bias
of these Wikipedias will have transfered to Wikidata.

There are two types of data; what interests the English Wikipedia editors
and the extend categories have been added to the "outlier" articles. The
consequence is that while I love the stats I expect that with more interest
for the subjects that are not common, we will find that the numbers for the
countries that get less attention will change significantly more than for
the subjects that are the bread and butter of the more popular Wikipedias.
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1] https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-todo/stats.php?reverse