[Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Maggie Dennis
Hello, all.

Just a reminder that Sue Gardner, the Wikimedia Foundation's Executive
Director, is doing an IRC office hours on Saturday January 26 at 18:30:00
UTC. There is not currently an agenda set for the meeting, but I will
update the particulars on Meta if that changes. Please see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours for
particulars.

Thanks!

Maggie

--
Maggie Dennis
Community Liaison

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Rui Correia-2
Dear Maggie,

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "office hours"?

Regards,

Rui

On 25 January 2013 22:15, Maggie Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> Just a reminder that Sue Gardner, the Wikimedia Foundation's Executive
> Director, is doing an IRC office hours on Saturday January 26 at 18:30:00
> UTC. There is not currently an agenda set for the meeting, but I will
> update the particulars on Meta if that changes. Please see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours for
> particulars.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Maggie
>
> --
> Maggie Dennis
> Community Liaison
> WikimediaFoundation.org

_________________________
Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Maggie Dennis
Hi, Rui.

Nothing to pardon. I'd have been asking that question myself not too
awfully long ago. :)

Occasionally, staff members of the Wikimedia Foundation or other groups,
such as chapters, go on IRC to chat with members of the communities that
work on Wikipedia and the other projects we support.[1] Sometimes there is
a set agenda, if there is something that needs particular focus, but often
- as with today's meeting - there is not. It's just an opportunity to ask
questions of staff (or other groups) and to learn a bit from the questions
that others ask and the answers to those questions. It's generally pretty
informal.

If you can't attend the session but are interested in what takes place in
it, you can still review the logs after the fact. These are placed on
Meta.[2]

Maggie

[1] If you aren't familiar with IRC (Internet Relay Chat), there is
information about how to use it at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#How_to_participate

[2] The logs can be found here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Office_hour_logs To read
them, click on the date of the session in the list. :)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Rui Correia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Maggie,
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "office hours"?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rui
>
> On 25 January 2013 22:15, Maggie Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, all.
> >
> > Just a reminder that Sue Gardner, the Wikimedia Foundation's Executive
> > Director, is doing an IRC office hours on Saturday January 26 at 18:30:00
> > UTC. There is not currently an agenda set for the meeting, but I will
> > update the particulars on Meta if that changes. Please see
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hoursfor
> > particulars.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Maggie
> >
> > --
> > Maggie Dennis
> > Community Liaison
> > WikimediaFoundation.org

> _________________________
> Rui Correia
> Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
> Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant
>
> Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
> Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Maggie Dennis
Community Liaison
WikimediaFoundation.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Rui Correia-2
Thanks Maggie

I am a langugage person - speak a number of them, have a passion for
linguistics, etymology and philology. I had understood that it was some
kind of meeting, but was naturally curious as to why it should be called
"office hours".

Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting
"office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat",
"Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc .....

Best regards,

Rui

_________________________
Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Rui Correia, 26/01/2013 14:36:
> I am a langugage person - speak a number of them, have a passion for
> linguistics, etymology and philology. I had understood that it was some
> kind of meeting, but was naturally curious as to why it should be called
> "office hours".
>
> Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting
> "office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat",
> "Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc .....

I think the idea is/was that the "mysterious WMF office" opens for
everyone to "visit" and chat, through IRC.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

James Alexander-4
I don't know if it's just an american school thing but I know the term from
my professors (and before that some high school teachers) who had 'office
hours' which were set hours when they could be guaranteed to be in their
office without other meetings/commitments so that you could just drop by
without an appointment an chat.

James

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Rui Correia, 26/01/2013 14:36:
>
>  I am a langugage person - speak a number of them, have a passion for
>> linguistics, etymology and philology. I had understood that it was some
>> kind of meeting, but was naturally curious as to why it should be called
>> "office hours".
>>
>> Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting
>> "office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat",
>> "Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc .....
>>

> I think the idea is/was that the "mysterious WMF office" opens for
> everyone to "visit" and chat, through IRC.
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Sage Ross
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Rui Correia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting
> "office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat",
> "Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc .....

I just took a stab at adding the relevant entry in Wiktionary: #2 at
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/office_hours

(Any Wiktionarians or would-be Wiktionarians, please improve!)

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Rui Correia-2
That makes more sense - but to turn that into a noun (we are having "office
hours" on Tuesday", is stretching the borders of everything language.

What next? "we are having **Car Park** on Saturday" to denote the sort of
informal discussions that carry on after a meeting as peole head for their
cars? ;-)

Rui

_________________________
Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Thomas Dalton
On Jan 26, 2013 1:55 PM, "Rui Correia" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That makes more sense - but to turn that into a noun (we are having
"office
> hours" on Tuesday", is stretching the borders of everything language.

It makes perfect sense to me. It's a particular period of time that is
spent in an office. We're then extending it to refer to a kind of virtual
office used for the same purpose.

(It's not just an Americanism, we use the term in the UK too.)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Peter Southwood
The English have been known to be "at home" for similar purposes.