[Wikimedia-l] Oh the irony

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Oh the irony

Andy Mabbett-2
Tweet from Guy Kawasaki:

https://twitter.com/GuyKawasaki/status/707250917360410624

whose content is:

"8 warning signs that your staff are about to quit"

http://
<http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2>
holykaw.alltop.com
<http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2>
/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic
<http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2>

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Oh the irony

Liam Wyatt
"Number 7: Dropping subtle hints.
Dissatisfied employees sometimes drop physical or verbal hints that they're
looking to make a change.
What to do: Don't ignore the signs. Address them right away and ensure a
constant channel of communication between you and your team."

Much wise. Very insight.
Now... putting this into practice is a whole different story...



On 8 March 2016 at 18:09, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tweet from Guy Kawasaki:
>
> https://twitter.com/GuyKawasaki/status/707250917360410624
>
> whose content is:
>
> "8 warning signs that your staff are about to quit"
>
> http://
> <
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> >
> holykaw.alltop.com
> <
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> >
> /8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic
> <
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> >
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Oh the irony

Chris Keating-2
I'm really glad that Guy is able to bring this kind of insight to the Board
HR committee.

...

OK, in possibly good news and trying to be fair to Guy, it looks like the
@guykawasaki bears very little relationship to what Guy Kawasaki the person
is actually thinking or doing. His twitter feed is basically a string of
links to alltop.com, which is a content aggregation site (which I think Guy
owns) that takes "cool content" from around the web and displays it to
people.

You might also notice that many of the stills that "Guy's" twitter account
posts contain images with a canva.com logo and link through to pages on
alltop.com that contain notices like "Image credit: Canva.com" (This
doesn't apply to the infographic, but seems to apply to most of Guy's
Twitter images). Canva is an image editing app that Guy works for. It's a
bit weird giving an attribution link to an image-editing app.

In short all of this is a social media marketing campaign which recycles
second-hand memes and gets people to click on them with the ultimate
beneficiary being the page-view figures of alltop.com and canva.com.

What does this tell us about what Guy thinks are signs of employee
discontent? Nothing.

What else does it tell us?

Well, it tells us that he is very very good at the "content game" of
passing sharebait around the internet and transforming it into maximum
eyeballs for oneself or one's paying customers, probably lowering the
average IQ of the internet in the process.

Chris






On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Number 7: Dropping subtle hints.
> Dissatisfied employees sometimes drop physical or verbal hints that they're
> looking to make a change.
> What to do: Don't ignore the signs. Address them right away and ensure a
> constant channel of communication between you and your team."
>
> Much wise. Very insight.
> Now... putting this into practice is a whole different story...
>
>
>
> On 8 March 2016 at 18:09, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Tweet from Guy Kawasaki:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/GuyKawasaki/status/707250917360410624
> >
> > whose content is:
> >
> > "8 warning signs that your staff are about to quit"
> >
> > http://
> > <
> >
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> > >
> > holykaw.alltop.com
> > <
> >
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> > >
> > /8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic
> > <
> >
> http://holykaw.alltop.com/8-warning-signs-that-your-staff-are-about-to-quit-infographic?gk2
> > >
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Oh the irony

Nathan Awrich
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm really glad that Guy is able to bring this kind of insight to the Board
> HR committee.
>
> ...
>
> OK, in possibly good news and trying to be fair to Guy, it looks like the
> @guykawasaki bears very little relationship to what Guy Kawasaki the person
> is actually thinking or doing. His twitter feed is basically a string of
> links to alltop.com, which is a content aggregation site (which I think
> Guy
> owns) that takes "cool content" from around the web and displays it to
> people.
>
> You might also notice that many of the stills that "Guy's" twitter account
> posts contain images with a canva.com logo and link through to pages on
> alltop.com that contain notices like "Image credit: Canva.com" (This
> doesn't apply to the infographic, but seems to apply to most of Guy's
> Twitter images). Canva is an image editing app that Guy works for. It's a
> bit weird giving an attribution link to an image-editing app.
>
> In short all of this is a social media marketing campaign which recycles
> second-hand memes and gets people to click on them with the ultimate
> beneficiary being the page-view figures of alltop.com and canva.com.
>
> What does this tell us about what Guy thinks are signs of employee
> discontent? Nothing.
>
> What else does it tell us?
>
> Well, it tells us that he is very very good at the "content game" of
> passing sharebait around the internet and transforming it into maximum
> eyeballs for oneself or one's paying customers, probably lowering the
> average IQ of the internet in the process.
>
> Chris
>
>
>
>
Alltop.com explains how several of its threads (e.g. politics.alltop.com)
grab content in its FAQ, but it doesn't address the "Holy Kaw!" thread.
It's at least possible that "Holy Kaw!" is content grabbed by Guy
"Kaw"asaki himself. The FAQ also confirms, fwiw, that Guy and two partners
do indeed own Alltop.com. Either way, if something gets published under
your name and with your permission, you own it.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>