[Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

[Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Trillium Corsage
I wrote an open letter to Lila because I saw Philippe Beaudette saying he was taking advice from English Wikipedia Arbcom on the matter of offsite harassment. The problem is that is that Arbcom has an history of harassing. So it should not be giving any advice on the matter of stopping it.

To make this case, I used the examples of FT2's "Anvil Email" threatening an editor's family and AGK's filing a trumped-up complaint to an editor's employer, and then on a similar theme I pointed to Wikimedia Foundation steward JurgenNL and administrator TBloemink's real-life stalking of MoiraMoira (they laughed about her on IRC and then took a train trip to visit her house).

I won't copy-paste the whole thing here, but if you're interested you'll find it here: http://timsongfan.livejournal.com/1971.html. Feedback is welcome. I think the WMF's policy of according IP and other sensitive user data via checkuser and UTRS and so forth to anonymous administrators is creating real risks to Wikipedia editors, and that is the case I make in the open letter.

Trillium Corsage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
Uhm, was JurgenNL steward? I thought TBloemink was, not JurgenNL.

-Yena Hong (Revi)
[[User:-revi]]
-- Sent from Android --
2015. 2. 2. 오후 11:49에 "Trillium Corsage" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

> I wrote an open letter to Lila because I saw Philippe Beaudette saying he
> was taking advice from English Wikipedia Arbcom on the matter of offsite
> harassment. The problem is that is that Arbcom has an history of harassing.
> So it should not be giving any advice on the matter of stopping it.
>
> To make this case, I used the examples of FT2's "Anvil Email" threatening
> an editor's family and AGK's filing a trumped-up complaint to an editor's
> employer, and then on a similar theme I pointed to Wikimedia Foundation
> steward JurgenNL and administrator TBloemink's real-life stalking of
> MoiraMoira (they laughed about her on IRC and then took a train trip to
> visit her house).
>
> I won't copy-paste the whole thing here, but if you're interested you'll
> find it here: http://timsongfan.livejournal.com/1971.html. Feedback is
> welcome. I think the WMF's policy of according IP and other sensitive user
> data via checkuser and UTRS and so forth to anonymous administrators is
> creating real risks to Wikipedia editors, and that is the case I make in
> the open letter.
>
> Trillium Corsage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Trillium Corsage
One is a steward the other is an administrator, I may have reversed their roles, but they are definitely the two that stalked Moiramoira.

Thanks for the notification, I'll doublecheck which is which and see about correcting that.

Trillium Corsage

02.02.2015, 14:55, "Hong, Yena" <[hidden email]>:

> Uhm, was JurgenNL steward? I thought TBloemink was, not JurgenNL.
>
> -Yena Hong (Revi)
> [[User:-revi]]
> -- Sent from Android --
> 2015. 2. 2. 오후 11:49에 "Trillium Corsage" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
>>  I wrote an open letter to Lila because I saw Philippe Beaudette saying he
>>  was taking advice from English Wikipedia Arbcom on the matter of offsite
>>  harassment. The problem is that is that Arbcom has an history of harassing.
>>  So it should not be giving any advice on the matter of stopping it.

<text clipped for brevity>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Nathan Awrich
I wasted the few minutes necessary to read "Trillium"'s blog post, and I
don't recommend anyone else make that same mistake. He's taken a few
incidents in a 7 year period, presented them utterly without the totally
necessary context, and ignored any evidence that might make it clear how
silly and ignorant his (or her) position is.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Trillium Corsage
Nathan, there is no context that could possibly justify those evidenced incidents of harassment and stalking. There is no excuse. The information is out there for anyone who wants to read about them, but it's wrong to attempt to rationalize them in a sea of details and that's why I didn't do it.

Trillium Corsage

PS: yes, I identify as male ("he, his" etc.).

02.02.2015, 15:03, "Nathan" <[hidden email]>:
> I wasted the few minutes necessary to read "Trillium"'s blog post, and I
> don't recommend anyone else make that same mistake. He's taken a few
> incidents in a 7 year period, presented them utterly without the totally
> necessary context, and ignored any evidence that might make it clear how
> silly and ignorant his (or her) position is.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Rich Farmbrough
It is true that our Arbitrators have not always behaved as we would wish,
and the cases that Trillium brings are are especially egregious, those
familiar with the the Arbcom leaks or indeed who have followed the actions
of the Committee, or dealt with individual Arbitrators on the English
Wikipedia, will be aware of many errors and abuses.  (They will also be
aware that the majority of Arbitrators have been assets to the community
the majority of the time.)

However the fact that a proportion, even if it were a significant
proportion, of the committee have feet of clay, does not mean that they are
not a useful collective resource to consult over harassment issues.

What we should take form the issues over the years is that it is worth
looking at ways to improve the governance structure.  Splitting check-user
form arbitration is one possible means.  Making checkuser more transparent
is another.  And "real name" accountability is a third.  Note that one
Arbitrator resigned (and pretty much left the project too) rather than
provide the WMF with his real name.

On 2 February 2015 at 15:12, Trillium Corsage <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Nathan, there is no context that could possibly justify those evidenced
> incidents of harassment and stalking. There is no excuse. The information
> is out there for anyone who wants to read about them, but it's wrong to
> attempt to rationalize them in a sea of details and that's why I didn't do
> it.
>
> Trillium Corsage
>
> PS: yes, I identify as male ("he, his" etc.).
>
> 02.02.2015, 15:03, "Nathan" <[hidden email]>:
> > I wasted the few minutes necessary to read "Trillium"'s blog post, and I
> > don't recommend anyone else make that same mistake. He's taken a few
> > incidents in a 7 year period, presented them utterly without the totally
> > necessary context, and ignored any evidence that might make it clear how
> > silly and ignorant his (or her) position is.

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Federico Leva (Nemo)
If the WMF is consulting any specific entity of an individual Wikimedia
project out of 800 for a crosswiki matter, that's ridiculous, period. I
don't see why bother looking into the specific merits of the entity in
question, or the allegations about them.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Letter to Lila (Harassment Policy)

Rich Farmbrough
Because the Arbitration Committee does have experience dealing with
harassment.  Not many projects have such a body dedicated to dealing with
conflict.  You are of course right that a general consultation should be
made, and I'm sure if there are other bodies you can point to the WMF would
love to consult with them too.

On 2 February 2015 at 18:04, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If the WMF is consulting any specific entity of an individual Wikimedia
> project out of 800 for a crosswiki matter, that's ridiculous, period. I
> don't see why bother looking into the specific merits of the entity in
> question, or the allegations about them.
>
> Nemo

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792