[Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

[Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Amir E. Aharoni
Hi,

Plenty of things like this happen in the Wikimedia world every day, but as
a music lover I'm especially happy about this one: The Open Well-Tempered
Clavier project was completed yesterday with the public domain release of
all the music files, and it's already on Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_Well-Tempered_Clavier

In case you didn't know, The Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian Bach
is one of the most popular and influential works of European classical
music. The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
performance of this work and release the music files, as well as proofread
digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
Kickstarter.

The Well-Tempered Clavier is kinda like the "Dark Side of the Moon" of
classical music - if you listen to classical music, you likely own a
recording of it already, but since we are free culture geeks here, I'm sure
that you'll appreciate having this copy, too.

It's public domain, so download, listen and share as much as you wish, but
you may also want to show your support to the people behind this project by
downloading and naming your price through Bandcamp or purchasing a CD:
http://welltemperedclavier.org/

My personal thanks to the people who develop Pywikibot, thanks to which
uploading 48 huge files to Commons was easy (and indeed, possible - one of
them is over 100MB).

(Also, tomorrow is Bach's birthday according to the Julian calendar.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Fæ
Delightful, thank you.

Fae

On 20 March 2015 at 13:39, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Plenty of things like this happen in the Wikimedia world every day, but as
> a music lover I'm especially happy about this one: The Open Well-Tempered
> Clavier project was completed yesterday with the public domain release of
> all the music files, and it's already on Commons:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_Well-Tempered_Clavier
>
> In case you didn't know, The Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian Bach
> is one of the most popular and influential works of European classical
> music. The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
> performance of this work and release the music files, as well as proofread
> digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
> Kickstarter.
>
> The Well-Tempered Clavier is kinda like the "Dark Side of the Moon" of
> classical music - if you listen to classical music, you likely own a
> recording of it already, but since we are free culture geeks here, I'm sure
> that you'll appreciate having this copy, too.
>
> It's public domain, so download, listen and share as much as you wish, but
> you may also want to show your support to the people behind this project by
> downloading and naming your price through Bandcamp or purchasing a CD:
> http://welltemperedclavier.org/
>
> My personal thanks to the people who develop Pywikibot, thanks to which
> uploading 48 huge files to Commons was easy (and indeed, possible - one of
> them is over 100MB).
>
> (Also, tomorrow is Bach's birthday according to the Julian calendar.)

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Ricordisamoa
Il 20/03/2015 14:39, Amir E. Aharoni ha scritto:
> My personal thanks to the people who develop Pywikibot, thanks to which
> uploading 48 huge files to Commons was easy (and indeed, possible - one of
> them is over 100MB).

\o/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Gayle Karen Young-2
Listening to this right now with joy. Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Ricordisamoa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Il 20/03/2015 14:39, Amir E. Aharoni ha scritto:
>
>> My personal thanks to the people who develop Pywikibot, thanks to which
>> uploading 48 huge files to Commons was easy (and indeed, possible - one of
>> them is over 100MB).
>>

> \o/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Philippe Beaudette-3
Likewise, I adore this project.  I'm so delighted to see this, and love
that it happened just before 3/21, 330 years after the birth of JS Bach.
Thank you, Amir, for sharing this.

pb

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Gayle Karen Young <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Listening to this right now with joy. Thanks!
>

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Ricordisamoa <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Il 20/03/2015 14:39, Amir E. Aharoni ha scritto:
> >
> >> My personal thanks to the people who develop Pywikibot, thanks to which
> >> uploading 48 huge files to Commons was easy (and indeed, possible - one
> of
> >> them is over 100MB).
> >>

> > \o/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Shlomi Fish
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:39:52 +0200
"Amir E. Aharoni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Plenty of things like this happen in the Wikimedia world every day, but as
> a music lover I'm especially happy about this one: The Open Well-Tempered
> Clavier project was completed yesterday with the public domain release of
> all the music files, and it's already on Commons:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_Well-Tempered_Clavier
>
> In case you didn't know, The Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian Bach
> is one of the most popular and influential works of European classical
> music. The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
> performance of this work and release the music files, as well as proofread
> digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
> Kickstarter.
>
> The Well-Tempered Clavier is kinda like the "Dark Side of the Moon" of
> classical music - if you listen to classical music, you likely own a
> recording of it already, but since we are free culture geeks here, I'm sure
> that you'll appreciate having this copy, too.

Nice! Thanks!

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

gamaliel8
Fantastic!  Any idea if they will be recording book II of the Clavier as
well?

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:39:52 +0200
> "Amir E. Aharoni" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Plenty of things like this happen in the Wikimedia world every day, but
> as
> > a music lover I'm especially happy about this one: The Open Well-Tempered
> > Clavier project was completed yesterday with the public domain release of
> > all the music files, and it's already on Commons:
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_Well-Tempered_Clavier
> >
> > In case you didn't know, The Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian
> Bach
> > is one of the most popular and influential works of European classical
> > music. The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
> > performance of this work and release the music files, as well as
> proofread
> > digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
> > Kickstarter.
> >
> > The Well-Tempered Clavier is kinda like the "Dark Side of the Moon" of
> > classical music - if you listen to classical music, you likely own a
> > recording of it already, but since we are free culture geeks here, I'm
> sure
> > that you'll appreciate having this copy, too.
> >

> Nice! Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
>         Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Amir E. Aharoni
I don't know, I wondered, too.
בתאריך 21 במרץ 2015 17:58, ‏"Rob" <[hidden email]> כתב:

> Fantastic!  Any idea if they will be recording book II of the Clavier as
> well?
>
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 5:04 AM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:39:52 +0200
> > "Amir E. Aharoni" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Plenty of things like this happen in the Wikimedia world every day, but
> > as
> > > a music lover I'm especially happy about this one: The Open
> Well-Tempered
> > > Clavier project was completed yesterday with the public domain release
> of
> > > all the music files, and it's already on Commons:
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Open_Well-Tempered_Clavier
> > >
> > > In case you didn't know, The Well-Tempered Clavier by Johann Sebastian
> > Bach
> > > is one of the most popular and influential works of European classical
> > > music. The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
> > > performance of this work and release the music files, as well as
> > proofread
> > > digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
> > > Kickstarter.
> > >
> > > The Well-Tempered Clavier is kinda like the "Dark Side of the Moon" of
> > > classical music - if you listen to classical music, you likely own a
> > > recording of it already, but since we are free culture geeks here, I'm
> > sure
> > > that you'll appreciate having this copy, too.
> > >

> > Nice! Thanks!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >         Shlomi Fish

> .

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Quim Gil-2
On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Open Well-Tempered Clavier is a project to record a complete
> performance of this work and release the music files, as well as proofread
> digital sheet music, to the public domain. It was crowd-funded through
> Kickstarter.

Another way to look at this project is: a small team pledged for $30k, got
$44k thanks to hundreds of backers, and delivered what they promised, all
this requiring (as far as I know) exactly zero resources from any Wikimedia
organization.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opengoldberg/open-well-tempered-clavier-bah-to-bach
(tagged as #classical-music)

Crowdfunding is on the rise, and tags in this field are important because
once you fund a project about #tag you get recommendations for more #tag
projects. Maybe we could partner with Creative Commons and friends to
request Kickstarter and the other platforms to include a #freeknowledge
tag, or a similar alternative (this example could have also been
#public-domain)? Or maybe someone is already working on this?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Gergo Tisza
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fantastic!  Any idea if they will be recording book II of the Clavier as
> well?

*Are you going to work on bringing BWV 870—893 (Well-Tempered Clavier Book
2) to the audience next? Or would you explore something else?*

*Kimiko:* My next project, which will be an audio-only project, will be to
record the Chopin Préludes on a Pleyel piano that Chopin himself actually
played.

It's an exciting project, especially when you realize that Chopin dedicated
the Préludes to Camille Pleyel, piano maker and owner of Salle Pleyel in
Paris, at the time Chopin lived there.

There will be a Kickstarter campaign for this project that launches very
very soon!

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/kimiko-ishizaka-and-musescore-team-release-open-well-tempered-clavier

The whole interview is worth reading, lots of interesting stuff there.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

metasj
That's wonderful; in the air here also.  Thank you for sharing.
I wonder if we could get a recording studio to sponsor the recording &
post-production for winners of a performance contest in the name of free
music: to increase the throughput of efforts like this.

SJ

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Rob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Fantastic!  Any idea if they will be recording book II of the Clavier as
> > well?
>

> *Are you going to work on bringing BWV 870—893 (Well-Tempered Clavier Book
> 2) to the audience next? Or would you explore something else?*
>
> *Kimiko:* My next project, which will be an audio-only project, will be to
> record the Chopin Préludes on a Pleyel piano that Chopin himself actually
> played.
>
> It's an exciting project, especially when you realize that Chopin dedicated
> the Préludes to Camille Pleyel, piano maker and owner of Salle Pleyel in
> Paris, at the time Chopin lived there.
>
> There will be a Kickstarter campaign for this project that launches very
> very soon!
>

> http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/kimiko-ishizaka-and-musescore-team-release-open-well-tempered-clavier
>
> The whole interview is worth reading, lots of interesting stuff there.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Sage Ross
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Crowdfunding is on the rise, and tags in this field are important because
> once you fund a project about #tag you get recommendations for more #tag
> projects. Maybe we could partner with Creative Commons and friends to
> request Kickstarter and the other platforms to include a #freeknowledge
> tag, or a similar alternative (this example could have also been
> #public-domain)? Or maybe someone is already working on this?

This is a wonderful idea. There is an occasionally-active hashtag
already, #FundFreeCulture, but it would be a lot more useful if it had
support from Creative Commons and other organizations and the people
asking for funding started using such a tag proactively.

See also the FOSsil Bank updates (run by Chris Sakkas, cc'd, who
started that hashtag) which has intermittent posts about free culture
crowdfunding campaigns:
https://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/category/round-ups/fossil-bank-updates/

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Open Well-Tempered Clavier

Chris Sakkas
Hi Sage and all,

Thanks for looping me in. I haven't been following the Wikimedia mailing
list before now, so forgive me if I miss something.

I (and, infrequently, others) use the #FundFreeCulture hashtag on Twitter
to keep track of free and open projects that you can contribute money to,
whether that's through donation drives, crowdfunding, conventional sales
and commissions, subscriptions, etc.

What Quim Gil seems to be suggesting is taking advantage of the metadata of
Kickstarter (and IndieGoGo and Patreon would be the other big ones) to
identify projects. I think #public-domain, #free-knowledge and
#creative-commons would all be useful tags to have in common use.

There is already a page on Kickstarter for Creative Commons projects
<https://www.kickstarter.com/pages/creativecommons>, although it only shows
ongoing and successfully funded projects (not failed projects), and it is
not necessarily updated (for example, I alerted them to Blades in the Dark
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2080350433/blades-in-the-dark>, which
will be partially CC BY-NC-SA licensed, and they haven't added it).

In terms of funding free culture, please do check out the FOSsil Bank. The
most useful pages for you are probably:

   - http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/fundfreeculture (this collects all
   entries to the wiki that allow for monetary contributions in some way)
   - http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/patreon (this collects all libre Patreon
   pages)
   - http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/promised-libre-works (this collects
   works that I've come across that the creator says will be libre licensed in
   the future. This is where I put Kickstarter projects that have been funded
   but haven't yet been released)

I'm excited to join the conversation,

Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*