[Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

[Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Chris Keating-2
Hi all,

I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
Wikimedia movement organisations:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development

I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look and
add examples and thoughts for the future.

As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or, at
least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
organisations!) can and should do better.

I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!

We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the way
forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!

Regards,

Chris

(1)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Fæ
Thanks Chris.

Interesting you chose to link to my unfinished peer review with WMEE,
considering you asked me to halt my inter-chapter governance
activities when you were the Chair of WMUK. If you think it is a good
idea to allow me to finish the peer reviews I started, perhaps you
should check with the board of WMUK so that I am can "officially"
approach those involved to see if they think it would be worthwhile.

Fae

On 27/04/2014, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
> documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
> Wikimedia movement organisations:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development
>
> I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look and
> add examples and thoughts for the future.
>
> As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
> year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
> London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or, at
> least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
> organisations!) can and should do better.
>
> I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
> Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!
>
> We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
> responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
> would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
> Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
> where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the way
> forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>

> (1)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Kevin Gorman
Hi Chris -

Thanks for starting this; it's something we need, especially going in to
the next few years.  I'll aim to contribute quite a bit to the page,
although the bulk of my contributions may await the end of the term.  It's
also probably worth noting that there will be some degree of overlap
between this and the WMF's program evaluation pages (although I do see an
active point in having both sets of pages.)

Best,
Kevin Gorman

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Chris.
>
> Interesting you chose to link to my unfinished peer review with WMEE,
> considering you asked me to halt my inter-chapter governance
> activities when you were the Chair of WMUK. If you think it is a good
> idea to allow me to finish the peer reviews I started, perhaps you
> should check with the board of WMUK so that I am can "officially"
> approach those involved to see if they think it would be worthwhile.
>
> Fae
>
> On 27/04/2014, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
> > documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
> > Wikimedia movement organisations:
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development
> >
> > I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look and
> > add examples and thoughts for the future.
> >
> > As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
> > year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
> > London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or, at
> > least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
> > organisations!) can and should do better.
> >
> > I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
> > Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!
> >
> > We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
> > responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
> > would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
> > Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
> > where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the way
> > forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > (1)
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Philippe Beaudette-3
Hi Chris,

Have you approached Anna Stillwell  -
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:AStillwell_(WMF) - about this?
 She seems a natural person to include in your discussions and thinking.
 Having worked with her some, I think she'll have some real insights for
you.  :-)

pb

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
 T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :
@Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Chris Keating
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
> documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
> Wikimedia movement organisations:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development
>
> I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look and
> add examples and thoughts for the future.
>
> As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
> year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
> London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or, at
> least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
> organisations!) can and should do better.
>
> I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
> Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!
>
> We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
> responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
> would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
> Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
> where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the way
> forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>

> (1)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Lodewijk
Thanks Philippe for the pointer. Sounds like an interesting angle, she has
been hired very recently it seems? I'm looking forward to the slightly more
details description on the user page that is apparently forthcoming :)

Lodewijk

> Hi Chris,
>
> Have you approached Anna Stillwell  -
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:AStillwell_(WMF) - about this?
>  She seems a natural person to include in your discussions and thinking.
>  Having worked with her some, I think she'll have some real insights for
> you.  :-)
>
> pb
>

> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
>  T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :
> @Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>
>

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Chris Keating
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
> > documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
> > Wikimedia movement organisations:
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development
> >
> > I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look and
> > add examples and thoughts for the future.
> >
> > As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
> > year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
> > London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or, at
> > least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
> > organisations!) can and should do better.
> >
> > I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
> > Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!
> >
> > We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
> > responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
> > would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
> > Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
> > where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the way
> > forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > (1)
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Balázs Viczián
Hi all,

pls correct me if I'm wrong, but WCA was aimed to do this (and already
collected some materials) but ultimately failed due to the fact that from
this basic idea it was quickly developed into an "uber-chapter"-like thing,
not to mention the other problems.

Anyways, I would highly recommend to stop reinventing the wheel every year
as there are at least 2 or more similar (or like-minded) initiatives from
the past years. Plus those that I'm not aware of.

Rather collect and merge them into a single proposition as there are plenty
to learn from their failure than starting again (what you just did btw)

Imo.

Cheers, Balazs
2014.04.28. 8:30, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:

> Thanks Philippe for the pointer. Sounds like an interesting angle, she has
> been hired very recently it seems? I'm looking forward to the slightly more
> details description on the user page that is apparently forthcoming :)
>
> Lodewijk

> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Have you approached Anna Stillwell  -
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:AStillwell_(WMF) - about this?
> >  She seems a natural person to include in your discussions and thinking.
> >  Having worked with her some, I think she'll have some real insights for
> > you.  :-)
> >
> > pb
> >

> > *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> > Foundation, Inc.
> >  T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :
> > @Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>
> >

> > On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Chris Keating
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've started a page on Meta which I hope will act as a hub for
> > > documentation and ideas around the training and development needs of
> > > Wikimedia movement organisations:
> > >
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organisational_development
> > >
> > > I'd ask anyone who's interested in this kind of thing to have a look
> and
> > > add examples and thoughts for the future.
> > >
> > > As many people will know from my contributions to this year's and last
> > > year's Wikimedia conference, or from the training workshop we held in
> > > London in early March, this is an issue where I feel the movement (or,
> at
> > > least, the part of the movement that is involved in movement
> > > organisations!) can and should do better.
> > >
> > > I was interested to read the Signpost coverage of the Wikimedia
> > > Conference(1) which evidently comes from a similar point of view!
> > >
> > > We are slightly hampered by the fact that there is no single body
> > > responsible for doing this kind of training and development work, so I
> > > would invite everyone with a stake in this (WMF, FDC, AffCom, Chapters,
> > > Thorgs, User Groups, interested individuals) to treat this as something
> > > where everyone can play a role in sharing experience, scoping out the
> way
> > > forward, and building a better way of doing this for the future!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >

> > > (1)
> > >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Salvador A
If a topic merge regularly only means that is an overwhelming worry that
must be solved.

I don't see Chris' proposal as "reinventing the wheel" but as a new attempt
to give answers to an inconclude question. If past attempts have failed
that doesn't mean that this one must do it either. Non sequitur. Even if it
fails it can be the basis or inspiration for a future success. Remember one
of our principles: Be bold!

The members of AffComm are willing to support any initiative related to
development of affiliates. Please Chris, feel comfortable asking us
whatever you need. One of our members will follow up your efforts. Finally,
we encourage the community to participate.

> Hi all,
>
> pls correct me if I'm wrong, but WCA was aimed to do this (and already
> collected some materials) but ultimately failed due to the fact that from
> this basic idea it was quickly developed into an "uber-chapter"-like thing,
> not to mention the other problems.
>
> Anyways, I would highly recommend to stop reinventing the wheel every year
> as there are at least 2 or more similar (or like-minded) initiatives from
> the past years. Plus those that I'm not aware of.
>
> Rather collect and merge them into a single proposition as there are plenty
> to learn from their failure than starting again (what you just did btw)
>
> Imo.
>
> Cheers, Balazs
> 2014.04.28. 8:30, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:
>
> > Thanks Philippe for the pointer. Sounds like an interesting angle, she
> has
> > been hired very recently it seems? I'm looking forward to the slightly
> more
> > details description on the user page that is apparently forthcoming :)
> >
> > Lodewijk

> > > Hi Chris,
> > >
> > > Have you approached Anna Stillwell  -
> > > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:AStillwell_(WMF) - about
> this?
> > >  She seems a natural person to include in your discussions and
> thinking.
> > >  Having worked with her some, I think she'll have some real insights
> for
> > > you.  :-)
> > >
> > > pb
> > >

> > > *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> > > Foundation, Inc.
> > >  T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :
> > > @Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

> > and

> last
> (or,
> > at

> Chapters,
> something
> > way

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

*Salvador Alcántar*
*AffComm member*
*WMMX Board member*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Claudia Garád
Szia Balazs,

I don't think that the the topics (such as organizational development)
that led to the idea of WCA are the reason that it failed.
In fact this current initiative is an attempt to carry on what has been
started in the context of WCA but in a more lose, flexible manner (a
learning from the WCA history) and to incorporate what has been done up
to that point. It's not detached from what has been done before. The
positive feedback on the pilot workshop in London encouraged us to carry
on and to refine the concept.
To put it on a broader basis and to approach the issue more
systematically we are currently planning a survey with Anasuyas team in
order to assess the needs for capacity building in the various
organizations. We asked Bence for advice and to incorporate AffComm know
how.

I'm happy that Chris and other dedicated volunteers going through all
the effort to collect information on what has been done so far and to
drive this forward. With joint forces we can generate a lot of positive
impact for the movement.

Best
Claudia

Am 28.04.2014 19:12, schrieb Salvador A:

> If a topic merge regularly only means that is an overwhelming worry that
> must be solved.
>
> I don't see Chris' proposal as "reinventing the wheel" but as a new attempt
> to give answers to an inconclude question. If past attempts have failed
> that doesn't mean that this one must do it either. Non sequitur. Even if it
> fails it can be the basis or inspiration for a future success. Remember one
> of our principles: Be bold!
>
> The members of AffComm are willing to support any initiative related to
> development of affiliates. Please Chris, feel comfortable asking us
> whatever you need. One of our members will follow up your efforts. Finally,
> we encourage the community to participate.

>> Hi all,
>>
>> pls correct me if I'm wrong, but WCA was aimed to do this (and already
>> collected some materials) but ultimately failed due to the fact that from
>> this basic idea it was quickly developed into an "uber-chapter"-like thing,
>> not to mention the other problems.
>>
>> Anyways, I would highly recommend to stop reinventing the wheel every year
>> as there are at least 2 or more similar (or like-minded) initiatives from
>> the past years. Plus those that I'm not aware of.
>>
>> Rather collect and merge them into a single proposition as there are plenty
>> to learn from their failure than starting again (what you just did btw)
>>
>> Imo.
>>
>> Cheers, Balazs
>> 2014.04.28. 8:30, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:
>>
>>> Thanks Philippe for the pointer. Sounds like an interesting angle, she
>> has
>>> been hired very recently it seems? I'm looking forward to the slightly
>> more
>>> details description on the user page that is apparently forthcoming :)
>>>
>>> Lodewijk

>> this?
>> thinking.
>> for

>>> and

>> last
>> (or,
>>> at

>> Chapters,
>> something
>>> way

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Balázs Viczián
Hi Salvador, I beleive we have at least three (or more) "basises for
inspiration and future success" already. All started from scratches and all
of them almost completely ignored all previous attempts.

My 2 cents here is to lower the level of such ignorance as much as possible
and build them in into this proposal; at least by pointing out what to
avoid based on their failures (not to mention to learn what could work as
showed popular) to speed up the process

Balazs
2014.04.28. 19:12, "Salvador A" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:

> [...]
> in
> > (or,
> > > at

> so
> > Chapters,
> > something
> the
> > > way

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2014-04-23/Special_report

> *Salvador Alcántar*
> *AffComm member*
> *WMMX Board member*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Organizational development for the Wikimedia movement

Chris Keating-2
> My 2 cents here is to lower the level of such ignorance as much as
possible
> and build them in into this proposal; at least by pointing out what to
> avoid based on their failures (not to mention to learn what could work as

Yes, that would be a good idea. The only case I'm particularly familiar
with is the WCA, which was a good idea that didn't work out.

The WCA did some useful work in this area - particularly promoting the
concept of peer review and shared learning. I have linked to all the WCA
outcomes that I'm aware of in this area, if I have missed them please point
them out!

The main lesson I draw from the WCA's experience though is that a) trying
to set up a structure that solves many problems is not something we are
ready to do; and b) that it is better to treat this as an issue that the
WMF should engage in than something that it shouldn't.

Chris5

> Balazs
> 2014.04.28. 19:12, "Salvador A" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:
>
> > If a topic merge regularly only means that is an overwhelming worry that
> > must be solved.
> >
> > I don't see Chris' proposal as "reinventing the wheel" but as a new
attempt
> > to give answers to an inconclude question. If past attempts have failed
> > that doesn't mean that this one must do it either. Non sequitur. Even
if it
> > fails it can be the basis or inspiration for a future success. Remember
one
> > of our principles: Be bold!
> >
> > The members of AffComm are willing to support any initiative related to
> > development of affiliates. Please Chris, feel comfortable asking us
> > whatever you need. One of our members will follow up your efforts.
Finally,
> > we encourage the community to participate.

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > pls correct me if I'm wrong, but WCA was aimed to do this (and already
> > > collected some materials) but ultimately failed due to the fact that
from
> > > this basic idea it was quickly developed into an "uber-chapter"-like
> > thing,
> > > not to mention the other problems.
> > >
> > > Anyways, I would highly recommend to stop reinventing the wheel every
> > year
> > > as there are at least 2 or more similar (or like-minded) initiatives
from
> > > the past years. Plus those that I'm not aware of.
> > >
> > > Rather collect and merge them into a single proposition as there are
> > plenty
> > > to learn from their failure than starting again (what you just did
btw)

> > > Imo.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Balazs

> > > has