[Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Sydney Poore-2
Hello all,

The Wikimedia Foundation Anti-Harassment Tools team is wrapping up improvements
to Special:Block that added the ability to set a Partial block
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative/Per_user_page,_namespace,_category,_and_upload_blocking>
.

While no functionality has changed for sitewide blocks, Special:Block now
allows for the ability to block a named user account or ip address from:

   1.

   Editing one or more specific page(s)
   2.

   Editing all pages within one or more namespace(s)
   3.

   Emailing other users

Administrators on all Wikimedia projects are invited to test this new way
of doing blocks on testwiki. Admins can reply off list to this email to
request access to test.

Administrators on wikis where partial blocks are deployed are invited to
share with other Wikimedia administrators examples of the way that partial
blocks are being used.

   -

   Share on meta
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Partial_blocks_use_case_examples>
   -

   Share in google form
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PTGNGhYvMgXMdR5gfle67ojzK23EabV3Ch0FRmaNejs/edit>

Other feedback can be left on Meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative/Partial_blocks/Feedback>
or
by email <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:EmailUser/SPoore_(WMF)>.

For the Anti-Harassment Tools team.
Sydney
--
Sydney Poore (she/her)
Strategist, socio-technical

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Steven Walling
On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 5:09 PM Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation Anti-Harassment Tools team is wrapping up
> improvements
> to Special:Block that added the ability to set a Partial block
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative/Per_user_page,_namespace,_category,_and_upload_blocking
> >
> .
>
> While no functionality has changed for sitewide blocks, Special:Block now
> allows for the ability to block a named user account or ip address from:
>
>    1.
>
>    Editing one or more specific page(s)
>    2.
>
>    Editing all pages within one or more namespace(s)
>    3.
>
>    Emailing other users
>

> Administrators on all Wikimedia projects are invited to test this new way
> of doing blocks on testwiki. Admins can reply off list to this email to
> request access to test.
>
> Administrators on wikis where partial blocks are deployed are invited to
> share with other Wikimedia administrators examples of the way that partial
> blocks are being used.

This is so great. Kudos to the team for adding tools to prevent abuse and
harassment that allow for more targeted policy enforcement.

How do we see which wikis have partial blocks deployed already / are
planning to have it deployed? And is there any way administrators can
request deployment?

>    -
>
>    Share on meta
>    <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Partial_blocks_use_case_examples>
>    -
>
>    Share in google form
>    <
> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PTGNGhYvMgXMdR5gfle67ojzK23EabV3Ch0FRmaNejs/edit
> >

> Other feedback can be left on Meta
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative/Partial_blocks/Feedback
> >
> or
> by email <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:EmailUser/SPoore_(WMF)>.
>
> For the Anti-Harassment Tools team.
> Sydney
> --
> Sydney Poore (she/her)
> Strategist, socio-technical
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Trust and Safety team;
> Anti-harassment tools team

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

James Forrester-4
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 17:16, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How do we see which wikis have partial blocks deployed already / are
> planning to have it deployed?

On a technical level, this is defined as wgEnablePartialBlocks in config,
which is currently:

   - Meta;
   - MediaWiki.org;
   - test wikis;
   - all Wikisources (except Old Wikisource), all Wikivoyages, and all
   Wiktionaries; and
   - most of the big Wikipedias: Arabic, Bengali, German, Farsi, Finnish,
   French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Serbian,
   Telugu and Chinese.

Changes can be tracked in https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/index.php (but the
files are large and not very friendly).

> And is there any way administrators can request deployment?

I'll leave that to the brilliant Anti-Harassment Tools team.

J.
--
*James D. Forrester* (he/him <http://pronoun.is/he> or they/themself
<http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Aron Manning
This development is very much appreciated. Thank you for the effort of the
Anti-Harassment Tools team!

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 03:01, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > How do we see which wikis have partial blocks deployed already / are
> > planning to have it deployed?
>
> On a technical level, this is defined as wgEnablePartialBlocks in config,
> which is currently:
>    - most of the big Wikipedias: Arabic, Bengali, German, Farsi, Finnish,
>    French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Serbian,
>    Telugu and Chinese.

Except the biggest, the English Wikipedia. What's the reason for lagging
behind?

Aron

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Paulo Santos Perneta

How and where can one request enabling this at the Portuguese Wikipedia?

Paulo

James Forrester <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta,
20/09/2019 à(s) 02:01:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 17:16, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > How do we see which wikis have partial blocks deployed already / are
> > planning to have it deployed?
>

> On a technical level, this is defined as wgEnablePartialBlocks in config,
> which is currently:
>

>    - Meta;
>    - MediaWiki.org;
>    - test wikis;
>    - all Wikisources (except Old Wikisource), all Wikivoyages, and all
>    Wiktionaries; and
>    - most of the big Wikipedias: Arabic, Bengali, German, Farsi, Finnish,
>    French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Serbian,
>    Telugu and Chinese.
>
> Changes can be tracked in https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/index.php (but
> the
> files are large and not very friendly).
>

> > And is there any way administrators can request deployment?
> >

> I'll leave that to the brilliant Anti-Harassment Tools team.
>
> J.
> --
> *James D. Forrester* (he/him <http://pronoun.is/he> or they/themself
> <http://pronoun.is/they/.../themself>)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Aron Manning
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 at 08:24, Paulo Santos Perneta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How and where can one request enabling this at the Portuguese Wikipedia?

It seems gaining community consensus (an RfC) is the standard way to do it.
See a few examples
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_health_initiative/Partial_blocks#Enable_on_Japanese_Wikipedia>
.

Aron

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Partial blocks update

Sydney Poore-2
Thank you, James for sharing the list of which wikis partial blocks is
enabled now.
Steven and Paulo, a link to a consensus discussion a local wiki can be
posted to Meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Community_health_initiative/Partial_blocks>
or phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T218626>. Or you can
reach out directly to me or Niharika <[hidden email]> (AHT Product
Manager)

English Wikipedia plans to hold a discussion
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Partial_blocks>in
the not too distant future.

Sydney Poore