[Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

[Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Pine W
Hello colleagues,

Michal Lester from Wikimedia Israel and Tsipi Erann from Wikiwomen recently
sent an email to the Gendergap mailing list regarding the passing of
User:Danveg.
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/gendergap/2017-January/006453.html.
Condolences to her family and friends. A memorial project has been
established on Hebrew Wikipedia at
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%95%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%93%D7%99%D7%94:%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%92%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%92%D7%A9%D7%99_%D7%95%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%99_%D7%A0%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/DanVeg_Memorial_Trans_Project
.

I would like to remind all of us that there may be people in our community
who are experiencing personal difficulties or distress, and that
professional resources may be available to assist. As with many situations,
I think that getting help before a situation becomes a crisis is
preferable, and I would encourage people to take the courageous step to do
so. Emotional support from friends and family, professional counseling, and
medicines may all be helpful in helping someone. The Mayo Clinic provides a
resource called "Depression: Supporting a family member or friend":
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression/ART-20045943.
Quoting the Mayo Clinic page: "People with depression may not recognize or
acknowledge that they're depressed. They may not be aware of signs and
symptoms of depression, so they may think their feelings are normal. All
too often, people feel ashamed about their depression and mistakenly
believe they should be able to overcome it with willpower alone. But
depression seldom gets better without treatment and may get worse. With the
right treatment approach, the person you care about can get better." If you
or someone you know is in distress, or is frequently sad, then I would
encourage reaching out for professional support.

In the circumstance that an on-wiki situation does become an emergency,
includes a threat of harm, *or* if someone discusses harm and you aren't
sure how serious the threat is, English Wikipedia has the following
resource, which includes information about how to Wikipedians are
encouraged to respond if someone on-wiki appears to be suicidal:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Responding_to_threats_of_harm.
Alternatively, if an off-wiki situation appears to be an emergency,
includes a threat of harm, *or* includes a threat that you don't know how
to evaluate, then please contact the local emergency services.

Sometimes life is stressful and sad for almost everyone. If you or someone
you know is overwhelmed, frequently feels sad or discouraged, or is
distressed, then please reach out for professional support. Rather than
attempting to go through the dark night alone, or if you see someone else
who is struggling with their challenges, please ask for help.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brosen_sunrise.jpg

Regards,

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Pax Ahimsa Gethen
Thank you for sharing the sad news and for your thoughts on helping
others in distress. I've shared the information about the memorial
project to WikiProject LGBT Studies (and I've now joined the Gendergap
mailing list).

A helpful resource in North America for trans people in distress is
Trans Lifeline (http://www.translifeline.org/). US: (877) 565-8860 /
Canada: (877) 330-6366

- Pax aka Funcrunch

On 1/3/17 8:35 PM, Pine W wrote:

> [...]
> sure how serious the threat is, English Wikipedia has the following
> resource, which includes information about how to Wikipedians are
> encouraged to respond if someone on-wiki appears to be suicidal:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Responding_to_threats_of_harm.
> Alternatively, if an off-wiki situation appears to be an emergency,
> includes a threat of harm, *or* includes a threat that you don't know how
> to evaluate, then please contact the local emergency services.
>
> Sometimes life is stressful and sad for almost everyone. If you or someone
> you know is overwhelmed, frequently feels sad or discouraged, or is
> distressed, then please reach out for professional support. Rather than
> attempting to go through the dark night alone, or if you see someone else
> who is struggling with their challenges, please ask for help.

Pax Ahimsa Gethen | [hidden email] | http://funcrunch.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Gnangarra
in Australia Beyond Blue provides a 24/7 help line service *1300 22 4636 .*

Maybe we should invite the affiliates to put together and maintain a
resource page on Meta with contact details for such organisations so that
everyone has access to necessary local details regardless of where they be

On 4 January 2017 at 13:04, Pax Ahimsa Gethen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> sure how serious the threat is, English Wikipedia has the following
>> resource, which includes information about how to Wikipedians are
>> encouraged to respond if someone on-wiki appears to be suicidal:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Responding_to_threats_of_harm.
>> Alternatively, if an off-wiki situation appears to be an emergency,
>> includes a threat of harm, *or* includes a threat that you don't know how
>> to evaluate, then please contact the local emergency services.
>>
>> Sometimes life is stressful and sad for almost everyone. If you or someone
>> you know is overwhelmed, frequently feels sad or discouraged, or is
>> distressed, then please reach out for professional support. Rather than
>> attempting to go through the dark night alone, or if you see someone else
>> who is struggling with their challenges, please ask for help.

President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Anna Stillwell
I'm so sad to hear this news.

Pine, thank you for the thoughtful email full of the reminders that, at
times, we may all need support. And thank you for providing helpful
resources.

Warmly,
/a

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> sure how serious the threat is, English Wikipedia has the following
> resource, which includes information about how to Wikipedians are
> encouraged to respond if someone on-wiki appears to be suicidal:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Responding_to_threats_of_harm.
> Alternatively, if an off-wiki situation appears to be an emergency,
> includes a threat of harm, *or* includes a threat that you don't know how
> to evaluate, then please contact the local emergency services.
>
> Sometimes life is stressful and sad for almost everyone. If you or someone
> you know is overwhelmed, frequently feels sad or discouraged, or is
> distressed, then please reach out for professional support. Rather than
> attempting to go through the dark night alone, or if you see someone else
> who is struggling with their challenges, please ask for help.

"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." - Margaret
Fuller

Anna Stillwell
Director of Culture
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

James Alexander-4
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe we should invite the affiliates to put together and maintain a
> resource page on Meta with contact details for such organisations so that
> everyone has access to necessary local details regardless of where they be

Great minds think alike :) We're putting together a curated list of
resources on meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety/Mental_health_resources>
for resources like this you can find right now. If anyone has additional
resources (especially for countries not currently listed) we'd love more!
We're trying to look into each resource before listing (and keep the list
short and usable for each country) so the talk page is best for additions.
Right now we have it set up to both list all of the countries we have
information for and list YOUR country (based on your IP) first to make
usable information easiest to find.

James Alexander
*Manager, Trust & Safety*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

rupert THURNER-2
On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe we should invite the affiliates to put together and maintain a
> > resource page on Meta with contact details for such organisations so that
> > everyone has access to necessary local details regardless of where they
> be
> >

> Great minds think alike :) We're putting together a curated list of
> resources on meta
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety/
> Mental_health_resources>
> for resources like this you can find right now. If anyone has additional
> resources (especially for countries not currently listed) we'd love more!
> We're trying to look into each resource before listing (and keep the list
> short and usable for each country) so the talk page is best for additions.
> Right now we have it set up to both list all of the countries we have
> information for and list YOUR country (based on your IP) first to make
> usable information easiest to find.
>
> it looks good, i wanted to add  for switzerland. but touching a page which
is from the foundation by the foundation, and the main support page even
stating "serves the foundation"? i do not even have a right to edit there?
and i always thought foundation stuff is on the foundation wiki *wonder*

rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

John Mark Vandenberg
I have made a small change the introduction to indicate the WMF has a
important role in the management of the page content, but the WMF is
not intended to be the sole author.

I believe that is in line with James offer for the commuity to edit the page.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 5:10 PM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 10:34 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe we should invite the affiliates to put together and maintain a
>> > resource page on Meta with contact details for such organisations so that
>> > everyone has access to necessary local details regardless of where they
>> be
>> >

>> Great minds think alike :) We're putting together a curated list of
>> resources on meta
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety/
>> Mental_health_resources>
>> for resources like this you can find right now. If anyone has additional
>> resources (especially for countries not currently listed) we'd love more!
>> We're trying to look into each resource before listing (and keep the list
>> short and usable for each country) so the talk page is best for additions.
>> Right now we have it set up to both list all of the countries we have
>> information for and list YOUR country (based on your IP) first to make
>> usable information easiest to find.
>>
>> it looks good, i wanted to add  for switzerland. but touching a page which
> is from the foundation by the foundation, and the main support page even
> stating "serves the foundation"? i do not even have a right to edit there?
> and i always thought foundation stuff is on the foundation wiki *wonder*
>
> rupert

John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Shlomi Fish
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 20:35:01 -0800
Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> Michal Lester from Wikimedia Israel and Tsipi Erann from Wikiwomen recently
> sent an email to the Gendergap mailing list regarding the passing of
> User:Danveg.
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/gendergap/2017-January/006453.html.
> Condolences to her family and friends. A memorial project has been
> established on Hebrew Wikipedia at
> https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%95%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%93%D7%99%D7%94:%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%92%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/%D7%9E%D7%A4%D7%92%D7%A9%D7%99_%D7%95%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%99_%D7%A0%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%9D/DanVeg_Memorial_Trans_Project
> .

I am terribly sorry to hear about that. My consolences go to her family and
friends.

> I would like to remind all of us that there may be people in our community
> who are experiencing personal difficulties or distress, and that
> professional resources may be available to assist. As with many situations,
> I think that getting help before a situation becomes a crisis is
> preferable, and I would encourage people to take the courageous step to do
> so. Emotional support from friends and family, professional counseling, and
> medicines may all be helpful in helping someone. The Mayo Clinic provides a
> resource called "Depression: Supporting a family member or friend":
> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression/ART-20045943.
> Quoting the Mayo Clinic page: "People with depression may not recognize or
> acknowledge that they're depressed. They may not be aware of signs and
> symptoms of depression, so they may think their feelings are normal. All
> too often, people feel ashamed about their depression and mistakenly
> believe they should be able to overcome it with willpower alone. But
> depression seldom gets better without treatment and may get worse. With the
> right treatment approach, the person you care about can get better." If you
> or someone you know is in distress, or is frequently sad, then I would
> encourage reaching out for professional support.
>
> In the circumstance that an on-wiki situation does become an emergency,
> includes a threat of harm, *or* if someone discusses harm and you aren't
> sure how serious the threat is, English Wikipedia has the following
> resource, which includes information about how to Wikipedians are
> encouraged to respond if someone on-wiki appears to be suicidal:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Responding_to_threats_of_harm.
> Alternatively, if an off-wiki situation appears to be an emergency,
> includes a threat of harm, *or* includes a threat that you don't know how
> to evaluate, then please contact the local emergency services.
>
> Sometimes life is stressful and sad for almost everyone. If you or someone
> you know is overwhelmed, frequently feels sad or discouraged, or is
> distressed, then please reach out for professional support. Rather than
> attempting to go through the dark night alone, or if you see someone else
> who is struggling with their challenges, please ask for help.
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brosen_sunrise.jpg
>
> Regards,
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Passing of User:Danveg, and reminder about people in distress

Katy Love
So very sorry to hear this new of the passing of User:Danveg.

Thanks for sharing this very sad news -- as well as the available resources
-- with us, Pine, Pax, and James.

Katy