[Wikimedia-l] Pebble smartwatch tool for finding Wikipedia photo opportunities

[Wikimedia-l] Pebble smartwatch tool for finding Wikipedia photo opportunities

Sage Ross
Hi folks!

I made something that I think is pretty cool: a watchface for Pebble
smartwatches that shows you the nearest unphotographed Wikipedia
article. I've been using it for about a month, and I'm really happy
with how it's turned out. I've taken a lot of photos for articles that
I wouldn't have otherwise.

It's called "Diderot". If you have a Pebble, check it out:
https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/57dc94602a6ea665510000f0

A few neat things about it:

* You can configure it for a number of different language versions of Wikipedia
* It uses a wmflabs API by Albin Larrson which filters out articles
that have only a png or svg illustration, so you still see the
articles that have a map or logo but lack a real photograph.

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Pebble smartwatch tool for finding Wikipedia photo opportunities

Magnus Manske-2
Looks like a cool thing indeed! Any chance to expand that to Wikidata? It's
a superset of all Wikipedias, plus things like UK National Heritage sites,
so it will give you many more candidates in some regions.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 10:30 PM Sage Ross <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I made something that I think is pretty cool: a watchface for Pebble
> smartwatches that shows you the nearest unphotographed Wikipedia
> article. I've been using it for about a month, and I'm really happy
> with how it's turned out. I've taken a lot of photos for articles that
> I wouldn't have otherwise.
>
> It's called "Diderot". If you have a Pebble, check it out:
> https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/57dc94602a6ea665510000f0
>
> A few neat things about it:
>
> * You can configure it for a number of different language versions of
> Wikipedia
> * It uses a wmflabs API by Albin Larrson which filters out articles
> that have only a png or svg illustration, so you still see the
> articles that have a map or logo but lack a real photograph.
>
> -Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Pebble smartwatch tool for finding Wikipedia photo opportunities

Sage Ross
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I just published version 1.3; Albin added Wikidata support to the
wmflabs API, and Diderot now queries Wikidata if no nearby
unillustrated articles are found on Wikipedia.

(You can also now customize the color of the time text.)

-Sage