[Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

[Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

Fæ
Can someone explain how a vandalized version of the Wikipedia article
about Henry Kissinger that was only visible for a rather short time
several days ago, is still being promoted in Google searches
today?[1][2]

The "zombie sex" vandalism was only visible for a few minutes, quickly
fixed by admin El C and the page indefinitely protected. Yet it is
this four day old version that Google searches were using in
preference to either the current version or older versions with more
long term public visibility. In the age of real smart Google AI and
active mirrors of Wikipedia, how is this still our reality? It does
not give me confidence that politically vandalized articles
potentially for the benefit of state sponsored agents are not also
being promoted in searches for several days, regardless of how
fleetingly they are visible on Wikipedia and speedily corrected by
volunteers.

It would be good to have a simple explanation of any improvements to
how this works, and our Wikimedia projects pragmatic relationship with
Google and other search engines.

Thanks!

Links
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Henry_Kissinger&action=history
2. https://twitter.com/Faewik/status/1180847863854706689/photo/1

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

RhinosF1 Wikipedia
Hi Fæ,

I've requested it's taken down using
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals so it should be updated
soon.

Thanks,
RhinosF1

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 at 15:20, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone explain how a vandalized version of the Wikipedia article
> about Henry Kissinger that was only visible for a rather short time
> several days ago, is still being promoted in Google searches
> today?[1][2]
>
> The "zombie sex" vandalism was only visible for a few minutes, quickly
> fixed by admin El C and the page indefinitely protected. Yet it is
> this four day old version that Google searches were using in
> preference to either the current version or older versions with more
> long term public visibility. In the age of real smart Google AI and
> active mirrors of Wikipedia, how is this still our reality? It does
> not give me confidence that politically vandalized articles
> potentially for the benefit of state sponsored agents are not also
> being promoted in searches for several days, regardless of how
> fleetingly they are visible on Wikipedia and speedily corrected by
> volunteers.
>
> It would be good to have a simple explanation of any improvements to
> how this works, and our Wikimedia projects pragmatic relationship with
> Google and other search engines.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Links
> 1.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Henry_Kissinger&action=history
> 2. https://twitter.com/Faewik/status/1180847863854706689/photo/1
>
> Fae

RhinosF1
Mediawiki System Administrator
Miraheze

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

Dennis During
Isn't it statistically inevitable that some offensively vandalized version
of some WP article will happen to be the version that Google caches? I
suppose they don't refresh the cache very often. Weekly? I know Google
doesn't make it easy to complain effectively about such blunders.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:20 AM Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone explain how a vandalized version of the Wikipedia article
> about Henry Kissinger that was only visible for a rather short time
> several days ago, is still being promoted in Google searches
> today?[1][2]
>
> The "zombie sex" vandalism was only visible for a few minutes, quickly
> fixed by admin El C and the page indefinitely protected. Yet it is
> this four day old version that Google searches were using in
> preference to either the current version or older versions with more
> long term public visibility. In the age of real smart Google AI and
> active mirrors of Wikipedia, how is this still our reality? It does
> not give me confidence that politically vandalized articles
> potentially for the benefit of state sponsored agents are not also
> being promoted in searches for several days, regardless of how
> fleetingly they are visible on Wikipedia and speedily corrected by
> volunteers.
>
> It would be good to have a simple explanation of any improvements to
> how this works, and our Wikimedia projects pragmatic relationship with
> Google and other search engines.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Links
> 1.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Henry_Kissinger&action=history
> 2. https://twitter.com/Faewik/status/1180847863854706689/photo/1
>
> Fae

Dennis C. During

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

Rebecca Yael Weissburg
I remember hearing why this happens, and that it is a concern to Google,
but I don’t remember the technical details. They want to work with us to
fix this issue. I will reach out and get more information. Thanks for
flagging!

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 8:57 AM Dennis During <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Isn't it statistically inevitable that some offensively vandalized version
> of some WP article will happen to be the version that Google caches? I
> suppose they don't refresh the cache very often. Weekly? I know Google
> doesn't make it easy to complain effectively about such blunders.
>
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:20 AM Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can someone explain how a vandalized version of the Wikipedia article
> > about Henry Kissinger that was only visible for a rather short time
> > several days ago, is still being promoted in Google searches
> > today?[1][2]
> >
> > The "zombie sex" vandalism was only visible for a few minutes, quickly
> > fixed by admin El C and the page indefinitely protected. Yet it is
> > this four day old version that Google searches were using in
> > preference to either the current version or older versions with more
> > long term public visibility. In the age of real smart Google AI and
> > active mirrors of Wikipedia, how is this still our reality? It does
> > not give me confidence that politically vandalized articles
> > potentially for the benefit of state sponsored agents are not also
> > being promoted in searches for several days, regardless of how
> > fleetingly they are visible on Wikipedia and speedily corrected by
> > volunteers.
> >
> > It would be good to have a simple explanation of any improvements to
> > how this works, and our Wikimedia projects pragmatic relationship with
> > Google and other search engines.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Links
> > 1.
> >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Henry_Kissinger&action=history
> > 2. https://twitter.com/Faewik/status/1180847863854706689/photo/1
> >
> > Fae
> > --
> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

> Dennis C. During

Rebecca Yael Weissburg
Director, Strategic Partnerships
Wikimedia Foundation
E: [hidden email]
M: +1.415.513.6643

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Persistence of old vandalized Wikipedia articles in Google search, especially for zombie attacks

Alex Monk
I've had a few successes in the past with getting Google to remove
vandalised versions of pages from their cache/main search results using
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals?pli=1 - in this case it
appears in the knowledge panel but not the cached copy of the page, so it
might be more tricky. I clicked the feedback link, then the Wikipedia
extract and wrote that it was a vandalised revision... Don't know if they
actually read that stuff though.