[Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

WereSpielChequers-2
Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?

WSC

Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Philippe Beaudette-3
They're up for me...
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

[hidden email]


On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
>
> WSC
>
> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Jim Redmond
No trouble here either.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> They're up for me...
> ___________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Director, Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>
> [hidden email]
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
> >
> > WSC
> >
> > Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>

--
Jim Redmond
[[User:Jredmond]]
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

John Mark Vandenberg
Also working for me.

John Vandenberg.
sent from Galaxy Note
On Oct 12, 2012 11:21 PM, "Jim Redmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No trouble here either.
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Philippe Beaudette <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > They're up for me...
> > ___________________
> > Philippe Beaudette
> > Director, Community Advocacy
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> >
> > 415-839-6885, x 6643
> >
> > [hidden email]
> >
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
> > >
> > > WSC
> > >
> > > Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > > [hidden email]
> > > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >
>
> --
> Jim Redmond
> [[User:Jredmond]]
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Thomas Morton
And up here in Lincoln.

Tom Morton

On 12 Oct 2012, at 17:23, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also working for me.
>
> John Vandenberg.
> sent from Galaxy Note
> On Oct 12, 2012 11:21 PM, "Jim Redmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> No trouble here either.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Philippe Beaudette <
>> [hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> They're up for me...
>>> ___________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Director, Community Advocacy
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
>>>>
>>>> WSC
>>>>
>>>> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>>>> [hidden email]
>>>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>>
>> --
>> Jim Redmond
>> [[User:Jredmond]]
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Alhen
All normal in Bolivia.

Alhen

@alhen_
alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
00-591-79592235




2012/10/12 Thomas Morton <[hidden email]>

> And up here in Lincoln.
>
> Tom Morton
>
> On 12 Oct 2012, at 17:23, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also working for me.
> >
> > John Vandenberg.
> > sent from Galaxy Note
> > On Oct 12, 2012 11:21 PM, "Jim Redmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> No trouble here either.
> >>
> >> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Philippe Beaudette <
> >> [hidden email]
> >>> wrote:
> >>
> >>> They're up for me...
> >>> ___________________
> >>> Philippe Beaudette
> >>> Director, Community Advocacy
> >>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> >>>
> >>> 415-839-6885, x 6643
> >>>
> >>> [hidden email]
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
> >>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
> >>>>
> >>>> WSC
> >>>>
> >>>> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >>>> [hidden email]
> >>>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >>> [hidden email]
> >>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jim Redmond
> >> [[User:Jredmond]]
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:33:28 -0400, Alhen wrote:

> All normal in Bolivia.
>
> Alhen
>
> @alhen_
> alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
> Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
> 00-591-79592235
>
>

For me it is intermittent: sometimes it works today, sometimes it does
not. Right now it is ok.

Cheers
Yaroslav

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Michael Peel-4
From #wikimedia-tech:

"paravoid: bits was giving us trouble in Europe, we've redirected it to the US for the moment" at 4:56pm.

Thanks,
Mike

On 12 Oct 2012, at 17:42, "Yaroslav M. Blanter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:33:28 -0400, Alhen wrote:
>> All normal in Bolivia.
>>
>> Alhen
>>
>> @alhen_
>> alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
>> Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
>> 00-591-79592235
>>
>>
>
> For me it is intermittent: sometimes it works today, sometimes it does not. Right now it is ok.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Richard Symonds-3
In reply to this post by WereSpielChequers-2
My 3G in East London has also gone down. Connected?

Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
On Oct 12, 2012 4:45 PM, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
>
> WSC
>
> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Leslie Carr
FYI -
When you notice an outage, jumping on #wikimedia-tech on freenode
(IRC) is the best way of getting a hold of the people who are
(probably) already working on fixing this.  If you do not have irc
access, wikitech-l is a better second notification.

If you are curious, this was limited to the european region and was
due to some instabilities in a network upgrade.

Leslie

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> My 3G in East London has also gone down. Connected?
>
> Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> On Oct 12, 2012 4:45 PM, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
>>
>> WSC
>>
>> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l



--
Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821
http://as14907.peeringdb.com/

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
In reply to this post by Philippe Beaudette-3
I think WSC was trying to log onto Wikipedia Review by mistake. :)

Newyorkbrad

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> They're up for me...
> ___________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Director, Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>
> [hidden email]
>
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM, WereSpielChequers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
> >
> > WSC
> >
> > Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

WereSpielChequers-2
In reply to this post by WereSpielChequers-2
Thanks everyone, especially Mike and Leslie,

Hopefully these sort of incidents will be so rare that we won't need to
work out how to use IRC and get involved there when they happen. But when
they do occur a little note from IT to mailing lists like this would be
helpful.

Just because we can't do anything about it, it doesn't mean we don't need
something to say to a room full of newbies who've come for an editing
session. As it is this combined with the "throttling feature" made for
quite a bit of disruption to a session where we had ten people having an
introduction to editing.

WSC

Message: 2

> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:56:06 +0100
> From: Michael Peel <[hidden email]>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> From #wikimedia-tech:
>
> "paravoid: bits was giving us trouble in Europe, we've redirected it to
> the US for the moment" at 4:56pm.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:05:23 -0700
> From: Leslie Carr <[hidden email]>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter
> Message-ID:
>         <CAK=
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> FYI -
> When you notice an outage, jumping on #wikimedia-tech on freenode
> (IRC) is the best way of getting a hold of the people who are
> (probably) already working on fixing this.  If you do not have irc
> access, wikitech-l is a better second notification.
>
> If you are curious, this was limited to the european region and was
> due to some instabilities in a network upgrade.
>
> Leslie
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My 3G in East London has also gone down. Connected?
> >
> > Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
> > On Oct 12, 2012 4:45 PM, "WereSpielChequers" <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know why Wikipedia and Commons have both gone down?
> >>
> >> WSC
> >>
> >> Writing from a slightly modified editing workshop in London
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> >>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:30:43 -0400
> From: Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter
> Message-ID:
>         <CAGbz8Te7ri8_o57wokvehgLpQbca_0-F2=
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> I think WSC was trying to log onto Wikipedia Review by mistake. :)
>
> Newyorkbrad
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Philippe Beaudette-3
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM, WereSpielChequers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> As it is this combined with the "throttling feature" made for
> quite a bit of disruption to a session where we had ten people having an
> introduction to editing.

By "throttling feature", do you mean the account creation
restrictions?  If so, you know there are ways around that, right?
Email me offlist, so as not to clutter the list, and I'll give you a
pointer.

If you mean something different, disregard :)

pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Andrew Gray
I evade account creation by always making them log in first...

Periodically, with a roomful of users, we'll get told that an edit has been
"throttled"; no further details, I think. It seems to happen with one or at
most two editors at a time out of a dozen, but it can happen to different
people later on. This happened several times in a couple of weeks in the
summer (I only started workshops in June), and then occasionally since -
including yesterday. I originally assumed it was related to external-link
additions by new users, but I've seen it for no-link sandbox edits as well.

My guess is that this entails something to do with checking for multiple
edits from the same IP at once, but I don't know if this is actually the
reason, or if it can be disabled/whitelisted.

(It's the one I give, though! Corrections gratefully appreciated)

- Andrew.
On 13 Oct 2012 17:25, "Philippe Beaudette" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM, WereSpielChequers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > As it is this combined with the "throttling feature" made for
> > quite a bit of disruption to a session where we had ten people having an
> > introduction to editing.
>
> By "throttling feature", do you mean the account creation
> restrictions?  If so, you know there are ways around that, right?
> Email me offlist, so as not to clutter the list, and I'll give you a
> pointer.
>
> If you mean something different, disregard :)
>
> pb
> ___________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Director, Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>
> [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l