[Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

[Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Luis Villa
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".

Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to resolve
the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.

[Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]

Thanks-
Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Lodewijk
This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from this
group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying to
unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).

The previous time this happened, it has been reported to google dozens of
times without anything being done. I hope your direct contact has more
effect...

Lodewijk

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".
>

> Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to resolve
> the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
>
> [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
>
> Thanks-
> Luis
>
> --
> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Luis Villa
On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from this
> group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying to
> unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).
>
> The previous time this happened, it has been reported to google dozens of
> times without anything being done. I hope your direct contact has more
> effect...

I'll pass that on. Also, if anyone has reports of being resubscribed after
unsubscribing (I've already seen two?) please let me know.

Luis

> Lodewijk
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".
> >

> > Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to
> resolve
> > the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> > fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
> >
> > [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
> >
> > Thanks-
> > Luis
> >
> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> >
> > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

rubin.happy
I was resubscribed, too.

rubin16

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from
> this
> > group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying
> > unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).
> >
> > The previous time this happened, it has been reported to google dozens of
> > times without anything being done. I hope your direct contact has more
> > effect...
>

> I'll pass that on. Also, if anyone has reports of being resubscribed after
> unsubscribing (I've already seen two?) please let me know.
>
> Luis
>

> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to
> > resolve
> > > the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> > > fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
> > >
> > > [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
> > >
> > > Thanks-
> > > Luis
> > >
> > > --
> > > Luis Villa
> > > Deputy General Counsel
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> > >
> > > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community
> > > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> > more
> > > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Sydney Poore
I was resubscribed.
Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:18 AM, rubin.happy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was resubscribed, too.
>
> rubin16

> > On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from
> > this
> > > group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're
> trying
> > > unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).
> > >
> > > The previous time this happened, it has been reported to google dozens
> of
> > > times without anything being done. I hope your direct contact has more
> > > effect...
> >

> > I'll pass that on. Also, if anyone has reports of being resubscribed
> after
> > unsubscribing (I've already seen two?) please let me know.
> >
> > Luis
> >

> > > Lodewijk

> [hidden email]

> > > resolve

> legal/ethical
> > > community
> > > more

> > Luis Villa
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> >
> > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Nathan Awrich
As was I.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was resubscribed.
> Sydney
>
> Sydney Poore
> User:FloNight
> Wikipedian in Residence
> at Cochrane Collaboration
>
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:18 AM, rubin.happy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I was resubscribed, too.
> >
> > rubin16

> from
> > > this
> > trying

> dozens
> > of
> more
> > >

> > > I'll pass that on. Also, if anyone has reports of being resubscribed
> > after
> > > unsubscribing (I've already seen two?) please let me know.
> > >
> > > Luis

> > [hidden email]

> have
> > legal/ethical
> For
> > > >

> > > --
> > > Luis Villa
> > > Deputy General Counsel
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> > >
> > > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community
> > > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> > more
> > > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Michael Snow-5
On 1/10/2015 8:12 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> I'll pass that on. Also, if anyone has reports of being resubscribed
> after unsubscribing (I've already seen two?) please let me know. Luis
Resubscribing happened to me both with this list and the list from the
previous cycle.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Dan Garry
If people are being resubscribed after having unsubscribed, apparently
changing your settings here will stop that from happening:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!optout

I was subscribed by them and was kind of amused by the disaster and level
of paranoia on these lists for a while, so I didn't bother unsubscribing.
Now that someone is just copy-pasting articles about Wikipedia that are
years old to one of the newer lists, it's sufficiently boring for me to
unsubscribe.

Dan

On 9 January 2015 at 09:35, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".
>

> Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to resolve
> the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
>
> [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
>
> Thanks-
> Luis
>
> --
> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Lodewijk
Hi Dan,

unfortunately several people use multiple email addresses, and this optout
doesn't work properly if that is the case - because when you go to that
link, google insists that you want to unsubscribe with your gmail address
(which might not be the one you have been subscribed with).

Right now, I'm just marking all emails as spam - hoping that this won't
affect the very similarly layouted real wikimedia-l messages.

Lodewijk

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If people are being resubscribed after having unsubscribed, apparently
> changing your settings here will stop that from happening:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!optout
>
> I was subscribed by them and was kind of amused by the disaster and level
> of paranoia on these lists for a while, so I didn't bother unsubscribing.
> Now that someone is just copy-pasting articles about Wikipedia that are
> years old to one of the newer lists, it's sufficiently boring for me to
> unsubscribe.
>
> Dan
>
> On 9 January 2015 at 09:35, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I think it will be better if most of us can "Report the Group".
> >

> > Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to
> resolve
> > the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> > fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
> >
> > [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
> >
> > Thanks-
> > Luis
> >
> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> >
> > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> Dan Garry
> Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Enock Seth Nyamador
Hi Lodewijk,

The optout didn't work for me too.

Did you try unsubscribing by using the other option provided below optout
in the mails.

That is send a blank mail to the unsubscribe address and this should work.
It worked for me though.

Best,

- Enock
twitter: @Enock4seth
enockseth.blogspot.com | [[User:Enock4seth]]

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> unfortunately several people use multiple email addresses, and this optout
> doesn't work properly if that is the case - because when you go to that
> link, google insists that you want to unsubscribe with your gmail address
> (which might not be the one you have been subscribed with).
>
> Right now, I'm just marking all emails as spam - hoping that this won't
> affect the very similarly layouted real wikimedia-l messages.
>
> Lodewijk
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If people are being resubscribed after having unsubscribed, apparently
> > changing your settings here will stop that from happening:
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!optout
> >
> > I was subscribed by them and was kind of amused by the disaster and level
> > of paranoia on these lists for a while, so I didn't bother unsubscribing.
> > Now that someone is just copy-pasting articles about Wikipedia that are
> > years old to one of the newer lists, it's sufficiently boring for me to
> > unsubscribe.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > On 9 January 2015 at 09:35, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to
> > resolve
> > > the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been
> > > fraudulently subscribed will help move that conversation along.
> > >
> > > [Same applies to the fake gender-gap list.]
> > >
> > > Thanks-
> > > Luis
> > >
> > > --
> > > Luis Villa
> > > Deputy General Counsel
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> > >
> > > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community
> > > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> > more
> > > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> > Dan Garry
> > Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Cristian Consonni
> This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from this
> group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying to
> unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).

(sorry for the maybe even sillier answer)
Have you tried logging out and/or uising different browsers?

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Bence Damokos
I found the same issue. The best thing to do is to send a letter to the
unsubscribe address from your various adresses (change the from field in
Gmail), and it should do it. (Doesn't work for the "opt out" option for
resubscribing.)

Best regards,
Bence

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>

> > This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from
> this
> > group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying
> > unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).
>
> (sorry for the maybe even sillier answer)
> Have you tried logging out and/or uising different browsers?
>
> Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Rui Correia-2
Would it not be more practical to ask the list owner at Google to kill
his list and create a new one with a new name and to NOT add members
without their permission?

Rui

> I found the same issue. The best thing to do is to send a letter to the
> unsubscribe address from your various adresses (change the from field in
> Gmail), and it should do it. (Doesn't work for the "opt out" option for
> resubscribing.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bence
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>

>> > This sounds silly, but somehow it seems quite hard to unsubscribe from
>> this
>> > group, if you have multiple google accounts (google thinks you're trying
>> > unsubscribe with an account that is not subscribed etc).
>>
>> (sorry for the maybe even sillier answer)
>> Have you tried logging out and/or uising different browsers?
>>
>> Cristian

_________________________
Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: "Wikimedia-l" Google Group]

Thomas Morton
I think the point is that the list owner is deiberately using those tactics
to gain attention :)

Tom