[Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

[Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

James Forrester-4
All,

*TL;DR*: Communities using Flow are invited to fill out a survey about what
they want to see from Flow,[Y]. It is administered by a third-party
service. It will not require an e-mail or your username. See our privacy
statement.[Z]

We in the Collaboration Team have currently paused major development of
Flow. We continue to maintain it, fixing urgent bugs and adding minor
features, but we're not planning to put large-scale efforts into improving
it further in the current fiscal year (until June 2017). Flow is currently
enabled on ten wikis as a beta feature, which allows intrepid users to
convert their user talk page to Flow.[X] Some other communities are trying
it in various ways. We plan to support these communities in the future, and
we need their input to build a strategy.

This survey is so that you can help us make decisions about the way forward
in this area by sharing your thoughts about Flow — what works, what
doesn't, and what should be improved? We remain interested in the
structured discussions that the Flow project provides, and have a list of
five big areas we think are most needed (based on community requests and
user feedback) to make it more useful: searching, categorising, moving,
watching activity, and dealing with history.

This survey will help us to prioritise future development of Flow. However,
there are lots of other things on which we could instead work, and we hope
that through this survey we will identify the key areas for everyone so
that it is as useful as possible for those that wish to use it.

There are some areas in which Flow is currently weak for some use cases,
and we don't advocate its active use by wikis which lack the expertise on
how to use it. Because of this, we're not actively looking for further
wikis to get the beta feature at this time, but if your wiki wants it, you
can request it on this page.[X]

Please fill out the survey,[Y] which is administered by a third-party
service. It will not require an e-mail or your username. See our privacy
statement.[Z]

Thank you!

[X] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow/Request_Flow_on_a_page/Beta_feature

[Y] https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cHm4YCZ4AaoAOr3
[Z]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Survey_Privacy_Statement_for_Spring_2016_Flow_Survey

--

James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing
jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

Pete Forsyth-2
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> All,
>
> *TL;DR*: Communities using Flow are invited to fill out a survey about what
> they want to see from Flow,

From this web page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow#Development_status

"Starting in October 2015, Flow is not in active development."

There have been many questions asked in various venues over the last year
about whether Flow is alive or dead, and what its future looks like. James,
perhaps you could take a moment to address that fundamental question?

It's quite odd to have a survey published about something that's been
declared defunct (albeit unconvincingly).

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

Marc-Andre
It seems to me obvious that the survey is designed specifically to get
enough data to decide on the future status of Flow development? I'd
expect that the answer to "whether Flow is alive or dead" will be very
much contingent on the survey itself.

On 2016-09-06 02:32 PM, Pete Forsyth wrote:
> It's quite odd to have a survey published about something that's been
> declared defunct (albeit unconvincingly).

-- Marc

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

Dan Garry
On 6 September 2016 at 11:32, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There have been many questions asked in various venues over the last year
> about whether Flow is alive or dead, and what its future looks like. James,
> perhaps you could take a moment to address that fundamental question?

I believe James answered you in his email:

"We in the Collaboration Team have currently paused major development of
Flow. We continue to maintain it, fixing urgent bugs and adding minor
features, but we're not planning to put large-scale efforts into improving
it further in the current fiscal year (until June 2017)... This survey will
help us to prioritise future development of Flow."

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > *TL;DR*: Communities using Flow are invited to fill out a survey about
> what
> > they want to see from Flow,
>

> From this web page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow#Development_status
>
> "Starting in October 2015, Flow is not in active development."
>
> There have been many questions asked in various venues over the last year
> about whether Flow is alive or dead, and what its future looks like. James,
> perhaps you could take a moment to address that fundamental question?

Thanks for pointing out that the page might be confusing, I've updated it
quoting James' email:
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Flow&diff=prev&oldid=2232662

Benoît

> It's quite odd to have a survey published about something that's been
> declared defunct (albeit unconvincingly).

> -Pete
> [[User:Peteforsyth]]

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Please take part in the Flow satisfaction survey

Kevin Smith
For those filling out the survey, read the answer prompts carefully! I only
barely noticed that one section had "useful" on the right, while the next
section had "agree" on the left. My brain was expecting both to be on one
side or the other, so I had answered part of the second section incorrectly
before realizing that I was actually giving answers that were the opposite
of my intent.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation