[Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

[Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

David Gerard-2
For your amusement:

http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html

We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

James Forrester-4
HTTPS-only for logged in users. Anons sadly still via HTTP.

On Sunday, December 22, 2013, David Gerard wrote:

> For your amusement:
>
> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
>
> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?
>

> - d.

James D. Forrester
Product Manager, VisualEditor
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

[hidden email] | @jdforrester

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

geni
On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For your amusement:
>
> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
>
> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?
>

> - d.

If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
Beyond having an extensive article on the subject.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

Andy Mabbett-2
On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.

Isn't the plan to make this opt-out in the near future?

Even if not, if were being blocked under misleading or inapplicable
categories, we have a right (and a duty) to protest.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

James Alexander-4
Watching the o2 twitter account on overdrive most of the day has been interesting. They seem to have changed a bit of the tune of the responses from simply "it's opt in parents can choose" (except to complaints about childline type responses to a mix of that and "we are reviewing the parental control opt-in service as soon as possible." Of course  has shown "change" isn't impossible but isn't horribly likely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/O2

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 415-839-6885 x6716

> On Dec 22, 2013, at 14:47, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
>
> Isn't the plan to make this opt-out in the near future?
>
> Even if not, if were being blocked under misleading or inapplicable
> categories, we have a right (and a duty) to protest.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> For your amusement:
>> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
>> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?

> If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
> Beyond having an extensive article on the subject.

No, that's the filter you have to explicitly opt out of.

In any case, discriminatory or defamatory filter labeling is something
it is in the public interest to inform on and quite possibly protest
against. (Turns out that using US-sourced filter software on default
settings may not be the wisest course of action for a UK-based
provider.)

On 22 December 2013 20:51, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> For your amusement:
> >> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
> >> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?
>
> > If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
> > Beyond having an extensive article on the subject.
>

> No, that's the filter you have to explicitly opt out of.

A positive choice is required to go in either direction. The opt in opt out
thing is mostly just political PR.

> In any case, discriminatory or defamatory filter labeling is something
> it is in the public interest to inform on and quite possibly protest
> against.

I'm not sure that is the best way to approach the wikidata community.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
I've been told that O2 has also blocked the Icelandic parliament website.
Madness, methinks.

Sent from the touchscreen equivalent of a Nokia 1100, pardon the sender.
--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan,
Treasurer.
On Dec 23, 2013 2:22 AM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 December 2013 19:31, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 22 December 2013 13:35, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >> For your amusement:
> >> http://pseudomonas.dreamwidth.org/120535.html
> >> We are strictly-HTTPS to censorious regimes like the UK, aren't we?
>
> > If people chose to opt into censorship then its a bit outside our remit.
> > Beyond having an extensive article on the subject.
>

> No, that's the filter you have to explicitly opt out of.
>
> In any case, discriminatory or defamatory filter labeling is something
> it is in the public interest to inform on and quite possibly protest
> against. (Turns out that using US-sourced filter software on default
> settings may not be the wisest course of action for a UK-based
> provider.)
>

> - d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Porn blocking in the UK: en:wp blocks on O2

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
How does this relate to Wikidata ?
Thanks,