[Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

David Gerard-2
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1

7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
the exhibition.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Keegan Peterzell
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
>
> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
> the exhibition.

​Right, and what's the shipping cost run on that? :)​

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.

On 17 June 2015 at 20:07, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
>> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
>> the exhibition.

> Right, and what's the shipping cost run on that? :)

YOU DARE PUT A PRICE ON *ART*

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Risker
On 17 June 2015 at 15:29, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 June 2015 at 20:07, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
> >> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
> >> the exhibition.
>
> > Right, and what's the shipping cost run on that? :)
>

> YOU DARE PUT A PRICE ON *ART*
>

> -

I am surprised at how many people outside of my "Wikipedia" life have
brought this to my attention today.

I agree the "Buy Now" option is probably not the best bet here, but there
is a tiny part of me that wouldn't mind getting a volume that includes an
article I've done a lot of work on or one that includes some form of my
username.  I can imagine the subjects of some of our biographical
articles thinking the same way.  Who knows, this might actually sell...

Risker/Anne

On 17 June 2015 at 20:39, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am surprised at how many people outside of my "Wikipedia" life have
> brought this to my attention today.
> I agree the "Buy Now" option is probably not the best bet here, but there
> is a tiny part of me that wouldn't mind getting a volume that includes an
> article I've done a lot of work on or one that includes some form of my
> username.  I can imagine the subjects of some of our biographical
> articles thinking the same way.  Who knows, this might actually sell...

I find myself feeling much more positive towards this project than the
likes of Books LLC.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Mike Peel

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 20:00, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
>
> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
> the exhibition.

Why?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Peter Southwood
Why not? Artists do.
-P

On 17 June 2015 at 20:07, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-compute
>> r-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
>> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
>> the exhibition.

> Right, and what's the shipping cost run on that? :)

YOU DARE PUT A PRICE ON *ART*

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Peter Southwood
Because he can?

> On 17 Jun 2015, at 20:00, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer
> -to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
>
> 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
> the exhibition.

Why?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 17 Jun 2015, at 20:00, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer-to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
> >
> > 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them for
> > the exhibition.
>
> Why?

​According to the article, he's printing enough volumes to fill a bookcase,
which is visually representative of the entire printing.​

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Peter Southwood
He should add some mirrors.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 17 Jun 2015, at 20:00, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/books/moving-wikipedia-from-computer
> -to-many-many-bookshelves.html?_r=1
> >
> > 7,600 volumes, to be available on Lulu. He's printing 106 of them
> > for the exhibition.
>
> Why?

​According to the article, he's printing enough volumes to fill a bookcase, which is visually representative of the entire printing.​

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address is in a personal capacity.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

Rich Farmbrough
I toyed with this idea some years ago when I was working for a short-run
large-document printing company.  We regularly produced 160,000 page
documents (20 copies).  With a suitable font Wikipedia's then 1 million
articles would have been a cinch.

On 17 June 2015 at 20:42, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 June 2015 at 20:39, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am surprised at how many people outside of my "Wikipedia" life have
> > brought this to my attention today.
> > I agree the "Buy Now" option is probably not the best bet here, but there
> > is a tiny part of me that wouldn't mind getting a volume that includes an
> > article I've done a lot of work on or one that includes some form of my
> > username.  I can imagine the subjects of some of our biographical
> > articles thinking the same way.  Who knows, this might actually sell...
>

> I find myself feeling much more positive towards this project than the
> likes of Books LLC.
>

> - d.

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Printed Wikipedia is go!

metasj
The headline is fun, and I like efforts to print large knowledgesets.  More
art like this!  And I'm a fan of Mandiberg's work with the Art & Feminism
editathons in NYC.

But this is an artistic statement at the collection level, not a serious
effort to print individual volumes.  When the first page of text of the
first volume contains an obvious stripping error, and the second page a
broken table, it is clear that even the artist gave up on getting basic
formatting right.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/print-wikipedia/volume-0001-one-anglia/hardcover/product-22221311.html

Some years back, Håkon Lie developed a nice toolchain for cleaning up and
laying out pages in a beautiful way. And he catalogued some of the problems
wiki-layout poses for print, along with possible solutions. I would love to
see a full volume in this style:
 http://www.princexml.com/howcome/2008/wikipedia/sample.pdf
 http://www.princexml.com/howcome/2009/wikipedia/printing/