[Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

Satdeep Gill
Hello Everyone,

I have proposed a new Wikimedia project on Meta. I hope you guys can take a look and give your views.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilore

Regards
Satdeep Gill


_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Hi,

This proposal can fit well into Wikisource and Wikibooks. I dont think,
another new domain is needed for this purpose.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa

On 17 January 2016 at 08:17, Satdeep Gill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have proposed a new Wikimedia project on Meta. I hope you guys can take
> a look and give your views.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilore
>
> Regards
> Satdeep Gill
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
Bodhisattwa Mandal
Administrator, Bengali Wikipedia

''Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
access to the sum of all human knowledge.''
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

Tanweer Morshed
Yeah, I do think the same as well. Wikisource is a good option for that.


Regards,
Tanweer Morshed

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Bodhisattwa Mandal <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This proposal can fit well into Wikisource and Wikibooks. I dont think,
> another new domain is needed for this purpose.
>
> Regards,
> Bodhisattwa
>
> On 17 January 2016 at 08:17, Satdeep Gill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I have proposed a new Wikimedia project on Meta. I hope you guys can take
> > a look and give your views.
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilore
> >
> > Regards
> > Satdeep Gill
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > New messages to: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Bodhisattwa Mandal
> Administrator, Bengali Wikipedia
>
> ''Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
> access to the sum of all human knowledge.''
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> New messages to: [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
Regards,
Tanweer Morshed
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

Johan Jönsson
2016-01-18 16:37 GMT+01:00 Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>:
> Yeah, I do think the same as well. Wikisource is a good option for that.

It could be that the Wikisources I'm familiar with are the exceptions,
but they tend to be very vary of material that has never been
published, and this seems to very much be about writing down what's
passed down orally.

I also imagine the need to do this would be greater the smaller the
language, or at least the less likely it is someone else would write
them down, which probably would correlate with fewer persons who are
potential Wikimedians. Wouldn't that require the creation of a fair
number of Wikisources that would probably never have a decent chance
of getting a community?

//Johan Jönsson
--

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Proposal for New Project - Wikilore

John Mark Vandenberg
in regards to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilore

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2016-01-18 16:37 GMT+01:00 Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>:
>> Yeah, I do think the same as well. Wikisource is a good option for that.
>
> It could be that the Wikisources I'm familiar with are the exceptions,
> but they tend to be very vary of material that has never been
> published, and this seems to very much be about writing down what's
> passed down orally.
>
> I also imagine the need to do this would be greater the smaller the
> language, or at least the less likely it is someone else would write
> them down, which probably would correlate with fewer persons who are
> potential Wikimedians. Wouldn't that require the creation of a fair
> number of Wikisources that would probably never have a decent chance
> of getting a community?

Wikisource could host most of it, if the oral history is recorded from
a native speaker and direct cultural participant.
There was a good talk about this at the Hong Kong Wikimania.

The recording would be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, and then the
transcription can be created on the Multilingual Wikisource, or a more
appropriate Wikisource if one exists for the language, and it is a
valid source because it has appropriate provenance.

Some Wikisource might reject this type of work, especially if the
provenance was not high quality, but if provenance is high quality it
is a valid type of source.

--
John Vandenberg

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>