[Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

[Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Steven Walling-3
Hi everyone,

Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468

If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.

Thanks!

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Michael Peel-4
You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.

Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed, community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows Wikimedia's main principles?

Mike

On 5 May 2012, at 00:30, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
> Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468
>
> If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Steven Walling
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Cornelius Kibelka-2
Come on, Michael, do you know a better solution? If there's no open source
solution, Google Calender is the easiest way to fulfill the needs.

Cornelius

On 5 May 2012 02:09, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.
>
> Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed,
> community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows
> Wikimedia's main principles?
>
> Mike
>

> On 5 May 2012, at 00:30, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
> > Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468
> >
> > If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Steven Walling
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

James Alexander-3
It's already on one, the wiki itself (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours ) ,
but this is another option that people requested. I don't see that as bad
at all, to the contrary it should be applauded.

James

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Michael Peel
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.
>
> Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed,
> community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows
> Wikimedia's main principles?
>
> Mike
>

> On 5 May 2012, at 00:30, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
> > Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468
> >
> > If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > Steven Walling
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Oliver Keyes-4
On 5 May 2012 01:26, Jaan-Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Come on, Michael, do you know a better solution? If there's no open source
> solution, Google Calender is the easiest way to fulfill the needs.
>
> Cornelius

What he said. Find me an open source equivalent that is as easy to use and
I'm happy to advocate for us using it until the cows come home. We adopt
open source software when possible, and proprietary software where there is
no open source alternative that does the job as well - interestingly, also
a principle that WMUK has played around with in the past. We *already* host
it in an open source, freely licensed, collaborative format. It's called
MediaWiki.

--
Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Dimce Grozdanoski
+1, very efficient. I suggest this name of the callendar - "WMF IRC".

Dimce Grozdanoski
Wikimedia Macedonia

On 05.05.2012 01:30, Steven Walling wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
> Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468
>
> If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.
>
> Thanks!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Michael Peel-4
Open source calendar software is trivially available. Or there's wikis and microformats. Or even hand-crafted calendar files. Google calendars may be a popular solution, but they're a recent one and are hardly the only solution out there. And they're definitely not a mission-aligned solution.

Mike

On 5 May 2012, at 01:26, Jaan-Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Come on, Michael, do you know a better solution? If there's no open source
> solution, Google Calender is the easiest way to fulfill the needs.
>
> Cornelius
>

> On 5 May 2012 02:09, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.
>>
>> Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed,
>> community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows
>> Wikimedia's main principles?
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On 5 May 2012, at 00:30, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Per a great suggestion from Jan-Bart, I have created a public Google
>>> Calendar that anyone can subscribe to for IRC office hours:
>>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468
>>>
>>> If this isn't working for anyone, let me know offlist.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steven Walling
>>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

James Alexander-3
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Michael Peel
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Open source calendar software is trivially available. Or there's wikis and
> microformats. Or even hand-crafted calendar files. Google calendars may be
> a popular solution, but they're a recent one and are hardly the only
> solution out there. And they're definitely not a mission-aligned solution.
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm confused, as Oliver and I pointed out this is already on the wiki
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours ?

In my opinion the main goal of the mission is getting information and
education out to everyone as much as we can. This seems completely in line
with that mission having it both on the wiki (completely open source,
editable etc) and on another, heavily used and requested, location.
Refusing to put it on google calendar solely because it's closed source
would, in my mind, by nuts.

James

> On 5 May 2012, at 01:26, Jaan-Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Come on, Michael, do you know a better solution? If there's no open
> source
> > solution, Google Calender is the easiest way to fulfill the needs.
> >
> > Cornelius
> >

> > On 5 May 2012 02:09, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.
> >>
> >> Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed,
> >> community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows
> >> Wikimedia's main principles?
> >>
> >> Mike

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Oliver Keyes-4
And, as said, they are listed on a wiki and will continue being listed on a
wiki. We're augmenting open solutions with non-open solutions, not
replacing them.

On 5 May 2012 01:42, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Open source calendar software is trivially available. Or there's wikis and
> microformats. Or even hand-crafted calendar files. Google calendars may be
> a popular solution, but they're a recent one and are hardly the only
> solution out there. And they're definitely not a mission-aligned solution.
>
> Mike
>
> On 5 May 2012, at 01:26, Jaan-Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Come on, Michael, do you know a better solution? If there's no open
> source
> > solution, Google Calender is the easiest way to fulfill the needs.
> >
> > Cornelius
> >

> > On 5 May 2012 02:09, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> You cannot be serious. A google calendar for this? Fail. Completely.
> >>
> >> Please let us know when there is an open source, freely licensed,
> >> community edited calendar available. Y'know, a solution that follows
> >> Wikimedia's main principles?
> >>
> >> Mike

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRC_office_hours&diff=3714509&oldid=3714468

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Thehelpfulone
On 5 May 2012 01:49, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Mike,
>
> I'm confused, as Oliver and I pointed out this is already on the wiki
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours#Upcoming_office_hours ?
>
> In my opinion the main goal of the mission is getting information and
> education out to everyone as much as we can. This seems completely in line
> with that mission having it both on the wiki (completely open source,
> editable etc) and on another, heavily used and requested, location.
> Refusing to put it on google calendar solely because it's closed source
> would, in my mind, by nuts.
>
> James

I agree with James and Oliver - this is not a replacement of the existing
office hours that are timetabled on Meta-Wiki, instead just a duplication
of them in a format that will be easier for people to add to their mobile
devices (phones, tablets) and for people that use Google Calendars for
personal use, they will be able to see the IRC office hours with their
normal calendar so as to raise awareness and increase community
participation in them.

Thehelpfulone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Michael Peel-4
I'm seriously having a hard time believing this. It's a trivial calendar. There are so many open solutions available. See, for example, just looking at mediawiki-integrated calendar solutions:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Calendar

I constructed a calendar system, relying just on PHP functions, a decade ago (albeit integrated with phpbb rather than mediawiki). It's not a big problem to solve in an open source manner.

There is, simply, *no* excuse for using a closed source piece of software to do this for Wikimedia purposes.

The mind boggles at this situation...

Mike

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Open source calendar software is trivially available. Or there's wikis and
> microformats. Or even hand-crafted calendar files. Google calendars may be
> a popular solution, but they're a recent one and are hardly the only
> solution out there. And they're definitely not a mission-aligned solution.
>
> Mike

If anyone would like to markup the wiki page with hcal microformats that
would be great. If you would like to file a bug request for an installation
of your preferred open source calendar software, then that would be even
better. My personal favorite is the very wiki-like software that powers
calagator.org, though it's Ruby and unlikely to be something our developer
community can support.

In the meantime, this is simply an addition to the FOSS platform already
being used as the central repository of info about office hours, as others
have pointed out.

Thanks,

Steven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

MZMcBride-2
Michael Peel wrote:

> I'm seriously having a hard time believing this. It's a trivial calendar.
> There are so many open solutions available. See, for example, just looking at
> mediawiki-integrated calendar solutions:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Calendar
>
> I constructed a calendar system, relying just on PHP functions, a decade ago
> (albeit integrated with phpbb rather than mediawiki). It's not a big problem
> to solve in an open source manner.
>
> There is, simply, *no* excuse for using a closed source piece of software to
> do this for Wikimedia purposes.
>
> The mind boggles at this situation...

Yes, you're right. But perfect is the enemy of the done here. In certain
cases, using a technology is an absolute no-go (for example, leaking visitor
information via iframes). In this case, I don't think we're dealing with
anything of that nature (though please clarify if I'm missing something).

You should file a bug in Bugzilla about fixing this system up in the future:
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/>. It's definitely not ideal, but it's good
enough for now, I think.

In addition to the proprietary/free issue, duplicating content is awful from
a maintenance perspective. As far as I know, there's no automatic sync in
place, so the wiki and Google are inevitably going to fall out of sync.
There are other reasons to keep the information centralized, but until the
wiki can support XML and iCal output, the benefit of using Google outweighs
the cost.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Michael Peel-4
Hi all,

I've incorporated the hcalendar microformat into the office hours template, and http://h2vx.com/ics/ provides an open source solution (based on http://microformats.org/wiki/x2v) for converting hcalendar microformats into iCal files.

You can download the ical from:
http://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
or subscribe to it at:
webcal://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours

All open source, no duplication of data or increased maintenance costs. The only downside is that the template call is a bit more complex now, particularly because an end time needed to be specified.

Please let me know if anyone encounters any problems with this solution...

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Don Burke
I cannot subscribe in Google Calendar because it says robots.txt does not
allow crawling.

Don

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Michael Peel
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've incorporated the hcalendar microformat into the office hours
> template, and http://h2vx.com/ics/ provides an open source solution
> (based on http://microformats.org/wiki/x2v) for converting hcalendar
> microformats into iCal files.
>
> You can download the ical from:
> http://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
> or subscribe to it at:
> webcal://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>
> All open source, no duplication of data or increased maintenance costs.
> The only downside is that the template call is a bit more complex now,
> particularly because an end time needed to be specified.
>
> Please let me know if anyone encounters any problems with this solution...
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Michael Peel-4
Ah, fun. I see this is a known problem that Tom Morris pointed out last year:

Quite why Google Calendar is misusing robots.txt like this, I don't know... (it's natural to use robots.txt to keep pages from appearing in the google search index, but that shouldn't then also apply in this sort of situation.)

I'll see if I can figure out a work-around for subscribing to the calendar, but it'll take me a day or so. In the meantime, you can always download the calendar file and import it into Google Calendar...

Thanks,
Mike

On 5 May 2012, at 20:38, Don Burke wrote:

> I cannot subscribe in Google Calendar because it says robots.txt does not
> allow crawling.
>
> Don
>
> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Michael Peel
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've incorporated the hcalendar microformat into the office hours
>> template, and http://h2vx.com/ics/ provides an open source solution
>> (based on http://microformats.org/wiki/x2v) for converting hcalendar
>> microformats into iCal files.
>>
>> You can download the ical from:
>> http://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>> or subscribe to it at:
>> webcal://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>>
>> All open source, no duplication of data or increased maintenance costs.
>> The only downside is that the template call is a bit more complex now,
>> particularly because an end time needed to be specified.
>>
>> Please let me know if anyone encounters any problems with this solution...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

John Mark Vandenberg
I think it is reasonable that Google chooses to not allow ical files
that arnt able to be fetched by robots and cached.

why exclude public shared calendars using robots.txt?

can we host our own instance of the converter?

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Michael Peel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, fun. I see this is a known problem that Tom Morris pointed out last year:
>
> Quite why Google Calendar is misusing robots.txt like this, I don't know... (it's natural to use robots.txt to keep pages from appearing in the google search index, but that shouldn't then also apply in this sort of situation.)
>
> I'll see if I can figure out a work-around for subscribing to the calendar, but it'll take me a day or so. In the meantime, you can always download the calendar file and import it into Google Calendar...
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 5 May 2012, at 20:38, Don Burke wrote:
>
>> I cannot subscribe in Google Calendar because it says robots.txt does not
>> allow crawling.
>>
>> Don
>>
>> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Michael Peel
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've incorporated the hcalendar microformat into the office hours
>>> template, and http://h2vx.com/ics/ provides an open source solution
>>> (based on http://microformats.org/wiki/x2v) for converting hcalendar
>>> microformats into iCal files.
>>>
>>> You can download the ical from:
>>> http://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>>> or subscribe to it at:
>>> webcal://h2vx.com/ics/https%3A//meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours
>>>
>>> All open source, no duplication of data or increased maintenance costs.
>>> The only downside is that the template call is a bit more complex now,
>>> particularly because an end time needed to be specified.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if anyone encounters any problems with this solution...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike

John Vandenberg

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to the proprietary/free issue, duplicating content is awful
> from
> a maintenance perspective. As far as I know, there's no automatic sync in
> place, so the wiki and Google are inevitably going to fall out of sync.
> There are other reasons to keep the information centralized, but until the
> wiki can support XML and iCal output, the benefit of using Google outweighs
> the cost.

Just to address this: the people duplicating the content are folks like
myself, Oliver, Philippe and Lydia who have to schedule office hours and
make sure they get into someone's calendar anyway. Using a shared calendar
(rather than putting them in the attendee's individual calendar alone) is
actually much more efficient on our end.

Thanks,

Steven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Don Burke
Steven,

Steven,

I've added your public Google calendar.  Thank you for making it public
since you are clearly maintaining it anyway.  If the open source version
can be fixed then all the better but I appreciate having this option.

Don

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In addition to the proprietary/free issue, duplicating content is awful
> > from
> > a maintenance perspective. As far as I know, there's no automatic sync in
> > place, so the wiki and Google are inevitably going to fall out of sync.
> > There are other reasons to keep the information centralized, but until
> the
> > wiki can support XML and iCal output, the benefit of using Google
> outweighs
> > the cost.
> >

> Just to address this: the people duplicating the content are folks like
> myself, Oliver, Philippe and Lydia who have to schedule office hours and
> make sure they get into someone's calendar anyway. Using a shared calendar
> (rather than putting them in the attendee's individual calendar alone) is
> actually much more efficient on our end.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Public Google Calendar for IRC office hours

Rob Schnautz
Can this calendar be added to the "Other Resources" room list in the WMF
Google calendar? After all, it ought to be treated just like any other
conference room for meeting scheduling purposes.

Thanks,
Rob