[Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

[Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

John Erling Blad
Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles? Not
the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features. I'm
thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
structure of logical arguments.

John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to you.
The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When the
date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
same precision is one) or at a project.

When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
Thanks,
       GerardM

On 15 April 2017 at 23:50, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles? Not
> the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features. I'm
> thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> structure of logical arguments.
>
> John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

John Erling Blad
This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very interesting
if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error. I'm
pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in editing
is removed.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to you.
> The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
> people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When the
> date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
> same precision is one) or at a project.
>
> When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
> responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM
>
> On 15 April 2017 at 23:50, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles? Not
> > the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features. I'm
> > thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> > structure of logical arguments.
> >
> > John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

jmh649
Agree it is an interesting question. One would need to clearly define what
you mean by an "error" though.

Simple vandalism is a relatively easy category to look at but otherwise it
is complicated.

One has:

1) Unreffed stuff for which one can find a supporting source
2) Text that is partly supported by the source provided
3) Stuff well supported by a poor quality source
4) Stuff that is out of date but supported by an older source
5) Stuff that is controversial with different high quality sources coming
to different opinions

The better question might be:

1) What percentage of the sources used by Wikipedia are of "high quality"?
Might be somewhat less difficult to define if done within a specific area
of expertise.

2) If one looks at X number of statements on WP what percentage are well
supported by the reference associated with them. Maybe this could be grade
as not supported at all, partly supported, mostly supported, completely
supported.

This has been on my list of things to study for some time. But happy to see
someone run with it.
James

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 6:08 PM, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very interesting
> if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error. I'm
> pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in editing
> is removed.
>
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to
> you.
> > The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
> > people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When the
> > date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
> > same precision is one) or at a project.
> >
> > When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
> > responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
> > Thanks,
> >        GerardM
> >
> > On 15 April 2017 at 23:50, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles?
> Not
> > > the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features.
> I'm
> > > thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> > > structure of logical arguments.
> > >
> > > John

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
How can you check for consistency when you are not able to appreciate if
certain facts (like date of death) exist and are the same? What can you say
about sources when some Wikipedias insist on sources in their own language
and sources in other languages you cannot read? How do you check for
consistency when we have over 280 Wikipedias with possible content?

Do know that only Wikidata approaches a state where it knows about all our
projects and we have not, to the best of my knowledge, assessed what the
quality of Wikidata is on interwiki links.. Case in point, I fixed an error
today about a person that was said to be dead because a Commons category
was not correctly linked.

When you study the consistency of English Wikipedia only, you only add to
the current bias in research.

When you want to know about the half life of an error, you can find in the
history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and find
the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format of a
language is diverse think Thai for instance.
Thanks,
        GerardM

On 16 April 2017 at 02:08, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very interesting
> if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error. I'm
> pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in editing
> is removed.
>
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to
> you.
> > The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
> > people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When the
> > date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
> > same precision is one) or at a project.
> >
> > When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
> > responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
> > Thanks,
> >        GerardM
> >
> > On 15 April 2017 at 23:50, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles?
> Not
> > > the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features.
> I'm
> > > thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> > > structure of logical arguments.
> > >
> > > John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello John,

Article quality is an interesting subject. I guess that it depends
extremely on what is the scientific discipline you come from, and what
questions you want to be answered. A linguist will have a very different
approach than a computer scientist, for example. If you ask me, only a
human being can judge an article if it comes to content quality and textual
quality, by the way. Maybe you want to elaborate on what are your questions?

Kind regards
Ziko

> Hoi,
> How can you check for consistency when you are not able to appreciate if
> certain facts (like date of death) exist and are the same? What can you say
> about sources when some Wikipedias insist on sources in their own language
> and sources in other languages you cannot read? How do you check for
> consistency when we have over 280 Wikipedias with possible content?
>
> Do know that only Wikidata approaches a state where it knows about all our
> projects and we have not, to the best of my knowledge, assessed what the
> quality of Wikidata is on interwiki links.. Case in point, I fixed an error
> today about a person that was said to be dead because a Commons category
> was not correctly linked.
>
> When you study the consistency of English Wikipedia only, you only add to
> the current bias in research.
>
> When you want to know about the half life of an error, you can find in the
> history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and find
> the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format of a
> language is diverse think Thai for instance.
> Thanks,
>         GerardM
>
> On 16 April 2017 at 02:08, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> > interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very
> interesting
> > if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error. I'm
> > pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in
> editing
> > is removed.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to
> > you.
> > > The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
> > > people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When
> the
> > > date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
> > > same precision is one) or at a project.
> > >
> > > When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
> > > responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
> > > Thanks,
> > >        GerardM

> > Not
> > I'm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

jmh649
Yes I think using WD to look at stuff like dates of death between different
languages would be interesting.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> How can you check for consistency when you are not able to appreciate if
> certain facts (like date of death) exist and are the same? What can you say
> about sources when some Wikipedias insist on sources in their own language
> and sources in other languages you cannot read? How do you check for
> consistency when we have over 280 Wikipedias with possible content?
>
> Do know that only Wikidata approaches a state where it knows about all our
> projects and we have not, to the best of my knowledge, assessed what the
> quality of Wikidata is on interwiki links.. Case in point, I fixed an error
> today about a person that was said to be dead because a Commons category
> was not correctly linked.
>
> When you study the consistency of English Wikipedia only, you only add to
> the current bias in research.
>
> When you want to know about the half life of an error, you can find in the
> history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and find
> the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format of a
> language is diverse think Thai for instance.
> Thanks,
>         GerardM
>
> On 16 April 2017 at 02:08, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> > interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very
> interesting
> > if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error. I'm
> > pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in
> editing
> > is removed.
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Would checking if a date of death exists in articles be of interest to
> > you.
> > > The idea is that Wikidata knows about dates of death and for "living
> > > people" the fact of a death should be the same in all projects. When
> the
> > > date of death is missing, there is either an issue at Wikidata (not the
> > > same precision is one) or at a project.
> > >
> > > When a difference is found, the idea is that it is each projects
> > > responsibility to do what is needed. No further automation.
> > > Thanks,
> > >        GerardM

> > Not
> > I'm

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Humans are overrated. I saw this answer on Facebook [1] and [2] compare the
two and tell me why we accept the bias in our editors. Why are we satisfied
with what we write about when there is more to inform about. Remember what
we aim to achieve. It does not say text, it says share the sum of all
knowledge.
Thanks,
        GerardM

[1]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Geotagged_articles_in_enWP_map_RENDER_small.png
[2]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/WorldmapGeonamesallCountries.jpg

On 16 April 2017 at 18:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Article quality is an interesting subject. I guess that it depends
> extremely on what is the scientific discipline you come from, and what
> questions you want to be answered. A linguist will have a very different
> approach than a computer scientist, for example. If you ask me, only a
> human being can judge an article if it comes to content quality and textual
> quality, by the way. Maybe you want to elaborate on what are your
> questions?
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko

> > Hoi,
> > How can you check for consistency when you are not able to appreciate if
> > certain facts (like date of death) exist and are the same? What can you
> say
> > about sources when some Wikipedias insist on sources in their own
> language
> > and sources in other languages you cannot read? How do you check for
> > consistency when we have over 280 Wikipedias with possible content?
> >
> > Do know that only Wikidata approaches a state where it knows about all
> our
> > projects and we have not, to the best of my knowledge, assessed what the
> > quality of Wikidata is on interwiki links.. Case in point, I fixed an
> error
> > today about a person that was said to be dead because a Commons category
> > was not correctly linked.
> >
> > When you study the consistency of English Wikipedia only, you only add to
> > the current bias in research.
> >
> > When you want to know about the half life of an error, you can find in
> the
> > history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and find
> > the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format of a
> > language is diverse think Thai for instance.
> > Thanks,
> >         GerardM
> >
> > On 16 April 2017 at 02:08, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> > > interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very
> > interesting
> > > if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error.
> I'm
> > > pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in
> > editing
> > > is removed.
> > >
> > > On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> > > [hidden email]

> > > you.
> > the
> the

> articles?
> > > Not
> features.
> > > I'm
> and

> unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

John Erling Blad
He he... Quality is popular until someone points out errors on your own
articles! It is a quite difficult and controversial topic.

John

Den søn. 16. apr. 2017, 10.37 skrev Hajdu Kálmán <[hidden email]>:

> Hi John,
>
> In Hungary, on the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences of the Szent
> István University (http://gtk.sziu.hu/en) Pitlik László docents
> ([hidden email]) works on “robot-lectors”. The idea is very
> similar with automated quality assurance. (
> http://miau.gau.hu/miau2009/index.php3?x=e0&string=lektor
> http://miau.gau.hu/miau2009/index.php3?x=e0&string=lector).
>
> You probably could contact him. But I should warn you he, as user Myx, he
> is banned in german Wikipedia, and his articles deleted in Hungarian
> Wikipedia.
>
> Kalman

Textual and factual quality are different. Often we spellcheck an article
and claim it to be of good quality, but I believe that is the lesser
problem although it is part of the overall quality.

Den søn. 16. apr. 2017, 18.59 skrev Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>:

> Hello John,
>
> Article quality is an interesting subject. I guess that it depends
> extremely on what is the scientific discipline you come from, and what
> questions you want to be answered. A linguist will have a very different
> approach than a computer scientist, for example. If you ask me, only a
> human being can judge an article if it comes to content quality and textual
> quality, by the way. Maybe you want to elaborate on what are your
> questions?
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko

> > Hoi,
> > How can you check for consistency when you are not able to appreciate if
> > certain facts (like date of death) exist and are the same? What can you
> say
> > about sources when some Wikipedias insist on sources in their own
> language
> > and sources in other languages you cannot read? How do you check for
> > consistency when we have over 280 Wikipedias with possible content?
> >
> > Do know that only Wikidata approaches a state where it knows about all
> our
> > projects and we have not, to the best of my knowledge, assessed what the
> > quality of Wikidata is on interwiki links.. Case in point, I fixed an
> error
> > today about a person that was said to be dead because a Commons category
> > was not correctly linked.
> >
> > When you study the consistency of English Wikipedia only, you only add to
> > the current bias in research.
> >
> > When you want to know about the half life of an error, you can find in
> the
> > history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and find
> > the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format of a
> > language is diverse think Thai for instance.
> > Thanks,
> >         GerardM
> >
> > On 16 April 2017 at 02:08, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This is more about checking consistency between projects. It is
> > > interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very
> > interesting
> > > if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error.
> I'm
> > > pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary logged-in
> > editing
> > > is removed.
> > >
> > > On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> > > [hidden email]

> > > you.
> > the
> the

> articles?
> > > Not
> features.
> > > I'm
> and

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

John Erling Blad
I wrote a proposal a few years ago on how we could identfy some types of
bias. The idea was to compare ranking of pageviews, and notify other
projects about missing articles. I don't think anyone has done any followup
om that

Den søn. 16. apr. 2017, 19.12 skrev Gerard Meijssen <
[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> > the
> > > history when for instance a date was mentioned for a first time and
> find
> > > the same date in another language. This is not trivial as the format
> of a
> > > language is diverse think Thai for instance.
> > > Thanks,
> > >         GerardM

> > > interesting
> > I'm
> > > editing

> "living
> When
> > > the
> > the

> > articles?
> > features.
> > and

> > unsubscribe>
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Sorry for the sprellig, I write this on a mobile with Norwegian
spellchecker.

Gerrards last question is about coverage, and bias, which is part of the
overall quality for the project as such.

Den søn. 16. apr. 2017, 19.22 skrev John Erling Blad <[hidden email]>:

> I wrote a proposal a few years ago on how we could identfy some types of
> bias. The idea was to compare ranking of pageviews, and notify other
> projects about missing articles. I don't think anyone has done any followup
> om that
>
> Den søn. 16. apr. 2017, 19.12 skrev Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Hoi,
>> Humans are overrated. I saw this answer on Facebook [1] and [2] compare
>> the
>> two and tell me why we accept the bias in our editors. Why are we
>> satisfied
>> with what we write about when there is more to inform about. Remember what
>> we aim to achieve. It does not say text, it says share the sum of all
>> knowledge.
>> Thanks,
>>         GerardM
>>
>> [1]
>>
>> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Geotagged_articles_in_enWP_map_RENDER_small.png
>> [2]
>>
>> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/WorldmapGeonamesallCountries.jpg
>>
>> On 16 April 2017 at 18:59, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello John,
>> >
>> > Article quality is an interesting subject. I guess that it depends
>> > extremely on what is the scientific discipline you come from, and what
>> > questions you want to be answered. A linguist will have a very different
>> > approach than a computer scientist, for example. If you ask me, only a
>> > human being can judge an article if it comes to content quality and
>> textual
>> > quality, by the way. Maybe you want to elaborate on what are your
>> > questions?
>> >
>> > Kind regards
>> > Ziko

>> if
>> you
>> > say
>> > language

>> > our
>> the
>> > error
>> category

>> add to

>> > the
>> find
>> of a

>> error.
>> > I'm

>> interest
>> "living
>> When
>> (not
>> > the

>> > articles?
>> > features.
>> citations,
>> > and

>> > unsubscribe>
>> ?subject=unsubscribe>
>> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Peter Southwood
Gerard,
I looked at the two images, but have no idea of what point you are trying to make about them. Could you be a bit more descriptive?
Cheers,
Peter

> [...]

> > > interesting, but not quite what I was asking about. It is very
> > interesting
> > > if it would be possible to say something about half-life of an error.
> I'm
> > > pretty sure this follows number of page views if ordinary
> > > logged-in
> > editing
> > > is removed.
> > >
> > > On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> > > [hidden email]

> > > you.
> > the
> the

> articles?
> > > Not
> features.
> > > I'm
> and

> unsubscribe>
> > > e>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

James Salsman-2
John, the AROWF project GSoC student implemented your proposal last year:

https://github.com/priyankamandikal/arowf/blob/master/backlog.py

She also used WikiWho to suggest review of out-of-date passages, and both
categories and readability metrics to suggest review of unclear passages:

https://github.com/priyankamandikal/arowf/blob/master/recent_script.py

https://github.com/priyankamandikal/arowf/blob/master/copy_edit.py

This year she has agreed to co-mentor a voice-interactive tutorial system
for instructing on the use of her project, with which we plan to
simultaneously coach speech pronunciation.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > > error
> > category

> add

> in
> > > the
> > find
> > of a

> error.
> > > I'm

> interest
> > "living
> > When
> (not
> > > the

> > > articles?
> > > features.
> citations,
> > > and

> > > unsubscribe>
> > ?subject=unsubscribe>
> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

It is a manual rating system, which can be used for quality improvements.
Cost-less rating systems have a inherit problem with gaming. That can be
counteracted with rating of the raters, often called meta rating. You use
reputation of the raters by observing disagreement and then use that to
calculate a trust when they rate articles or statements about the articles.

If there is a cost to do rating the quality of the rating will usually go
up. If there is no cost with doing a rating the quality goes down, as it
become easier to game the system.

Note that manual rating only works for subjective quality assessment.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> for

> > all
> what
> > > the
> an
> > > category

> > add

> > in
> > > find
> format
> > > of a

> > error.
> logged-in

> > interest
> > > "living
> > > When
> > (not

> projects

> > citations,

> > > ?subject=unsubscribe>
> > ?subject=unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Leila Zia
Hi John,

This may be of interest to you:

We are working on building recommendation systems than can help editors
identify how to expand already existing articles in Wikipedia. This
includes but is not limited to identifying what sections are missing from
an article, what citations, what images, infobox information, etc. This is
research in its early days, if you'd like to follow up with it please visit
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Expanding_Wikipedia_stubs_across_languages

Best,
Leila

Leila Zia
Senior Research Scientist
Wikimedia Foundation

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles? Not
> the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features. I'm
> thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> structure of logical arguments.
>
> John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

John Erling Blad
Definitly part of the overall quality. I wonder, do you have any stats om
how much positive change the previous attempts have triggered?

Den man. 17. apr. 2017, 02.04 skrev Leila Zia <[hidden email]>:

> Hi John,
>
> This may be of interest to you:
>
> We are working on building recommendation systems than can help editors
> identify how to expand already existing articles in Wikipedia. This
> includes but is not limited to identifying what sections are missing from
> an article, what citations, what images, infobox information, etc. This is
> research in its early days, if you'd like to follow up with it please visit
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Expanding_Wikipedia_stubs_across_languages
>
> Best,
> Leila
>

> Leila Zia
> Senior Research Scientist
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles? Not
> > the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features. I'm
> > thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> > structure of logical arguments.
> >
> > John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
This is an interesting avenue. My I suggest one practical side of this?

When you analyse articles and find that some things are missing, it will
help a lot when you can target these articles to the people who are likely
interested. When people interested in soccer learn that a soccer player
died, they are more likely to edit even write an article.

The approach for finding a subject that could do with more attention is one
I applaud. When you want to do this across languages think Wikidata to
define the area of interest for users. It will always include all the
articles in all the languages. As you have seen with the Listeria lists,
showing red links and Wikidata items is trivial.
Thanks,
     Gerard

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:58 PM, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Definitly part of the overall quality. I wonder, do you have any stats om
> how much positive change the previous attempts have triggered?

​[John and I went off-list for me to understand which specific previous
attempts he had in mind when asking the above. I have a better sense now
and I'm responding to that.]

I'm providing some pointers to indications or controlled experiment results
that show how well recommendations in the space of article creation work
(Note that I don't have results for the article expansion work to share for
now.):

We built an end-to-end system that identifies missing articles in a given
language, ranks them according to their importance in that given language,
and recommends them to editors who are interested to create them (interest
is inferred based on the topic of the articles the editor has edited in the
recent past). We ran a controlled experiment and showed that you can
increase article creation rate in Wikipedia by a factor of 3.2 if you do
personalized recommendations in the setting of the experiment (which was
editors receiving recommendations over email) while maintaining the same
level of quality as organically created articles on Wikipedia. We also
showed that personalized recommendations increase article creation rate by
a factor of almost 2 when compared to non-personalized recommendations. If
you are interested about the details of this study, you can read the paper
that describes it fully at https://arxiv.org/abs/1604.03235. If you prefer
a verbal presentation on this topic, I've recently presented this work, why
it's important, and some of the work we've started in the article expansion
research in CITRIS Exchange seminar series
<http://citris-uc.org/spring-2017-citris-research-exchange-seminar-series/> in
University of California, Berkeley. You can check out the presentation
slides
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Growing_Wikipedia_Across_Languages_via_Recommendations_CITRIS_20170315.pdf>
 and the video of the presentation
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHbnvRwFC_A&index=7&list=PLYTiwx6hV33vqwW7HWyYHMca4H0Ru6KQT>
.

Outside of the experimental setting, Content Translation is using the
recommendation
API <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Recommendation_API> behind the
research I explained above as part of their "Suggestions" feature. Every
week, around 180 articles get published on Wikipedia using Suggestions
feature alone. This is around 6-9% of all articles created via Content
Translation every week. So, we have some evidence that in practice, these
recommendations work, too.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Leila

> Den man. 17. apr. 2017, 02.04 skrev Leila Zia <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > This may be of interest to you:
> >
> > We are working on building recommendation systems than can help editors
> > identify how to expand already existing articles in Wikipedia. This
> > includes but is not limited to identifying what sections are missing from
> > an article, what citations, what images, infobox information, etc. This
> is
> > research in its early days, if you'd like to follow up with it please
> visit
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Expanding_Wikipedia
> _stubs_across_languages
> >
> > Best,
> > Leila
> >

> > Leila Zia
> > Senior Research Scientist
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Are anyone doing any work on automated quality assurance of articles?
> Not
> > > the ORES-stuff, that is about creating hints from measured features.
> I'm
> > > thinking about verifying existence and completeness of citations, and
> > > structure of logical arguments.
> > >
> > > John

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality assurance of articles

Leila Zia
Hoi Gerard,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When you analyse articles and find that some things are missing, it will
> help a lot when you can target these articles to the people who are likely
> interested. When people interested in soccer learn that a soccer player
> died, they are more likely to edit even write an article.

​You are absolutely right. This is what we even tested in the article
creation recommendation experiment and you could see that providing
personalized recommendations (where personalization was on the basis of
matching editors interests based on their history of contributions​) does
better than random important recommendations. A few pointers for you:

* Check out section 2.3 of the paper at https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.03235.pdf to
see how this was done.
* I talk briefly about how we do the editor interest modeling at
https://youtu.be/lHbnvRwFC_A?t=20m44s

In general, we have at least two ways for recommending to people what they
like to edit: one would be using the information in their past edit history
and building topical models that can help us learn what topics an editor is
interested in. The other is by asking the editor to provide some seeds of
interest to us. For example, we ask you to tell us what kind of article you
would edit, and we give you recommendations similar to the seed you
provide. Each have its own advantages and you sometimes have to mix the two
approaches (and more) to give the editor enough breadth and depth of topics
to choose from.

> The approach for finding a subject that could do with more attention is one
> I applaud. When you want to do this across languages think Wikidata to
> define the area of interest for users. It will always include all the
> articles in all the languages. As you have seen with the Listeria lists,
> showing red links and Wikidata items is trivial.

​Yes, finding what is missing in a Wikipedia language by comparing language
editions is relatively easy, thanks to Wikidata. :) What is hard is ranking
these millions of missing articles in any language based on some notion of
importance. We developed a ranking system for the research I mentioned
above. You can read about it in Section 2.2 of the paper at
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.03235.pdf​. I talk about in less details at
https://youtu.be/lHbnvRwFC_A?t=16m58s. In a nutshell: we built a prediction
model that aims to predict the number of pageviews the article would
receive had it existed in the destination language where it's missing
today. The higher this predicted number for a missing article in a
language, the more important it is to create it.

Best,
Leila