[Wikimedia-l] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

[Wikimedia-l] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Kirill Lokshin
Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to announce that the Affiliations Committee has recognized
[1] the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group [2] as a Wikimedia User
Group. The group aims to unite Wikimedians living in St. Petersburg, to
support the development of content on topics related to St. Petersburg
across different Wikimedia projects, to promote the Wikimedia projects and
movement in St. Petersburg, and to build partnerships between the Wikimedia
community and cultural, scientific, educational, and media institutions in
St. Petersburg.

Please join me in congratulating the members of this new user group!

Regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Philip Kopetzky
Hi Kirill,

so it seems like geographically large countries are being split up into
different user groups - do you think that this is a viable model for the
future or just happened because of certain circumstances within the Russian
community? Would your template allow a User Group from Rome, Paris, Munich
or Sydney for example?

Best,
Philip

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 12:20, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm very happy to announce that the Affiliations Committee has recognized
> [1] the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group [2] as a Wikimedia User
> Group. The group aims to unite Wikimedians living in St. Petersburg, to
> support the development of content on topics related to St. Petersburg
> across different Wikimedia projects, to promote the Wikimedia projects and
> movement in St. Petersburg, and to build partnerships between the Wikimedia
> community and cultural, scientific, educational, and media institutions in
> St. Petersburg.
>
> Please join me in congratulating the members of this new user group!
>
> Regards,
> Kirill Lokshin
> Chair, Affiliations Committee
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Lane Rasberry
A usergroup for every city!

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 10:15 AM Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Kirill,
>
> so it seems like geographically large countries are being split up into
> different user groups - do you think that this is a viable model for the
> future or just happened because of certain circumstances within the Russian
> community? Would your template allow a User Group from Rome, Paris, Munich
> or Sydney for example?
>
> Best,
> Philip
>
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 12:20, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> I'm very happy to announce that the Affiliations Committee has recognized
>> [1] the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group [2] as a Wikimedia User
>> Group. The group aims to unite Wikimedians living in St. Petersburg, to
>> support the development of content on topics related to St. Petersburg
>> across different Wikimedia projects, to promote the Wikimedia projects and
>> movement in St. Petersburg, and to build partnerships between the Wikimedia
>> community and cultural, scientific, educational, and media institutions in
>> St. Petersburg.
>>
>> Please join me in congratulating the members of this new user group!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kirill Lokshin
>> Chair, Affiliations Committee
>>
>> [1]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
>> [2]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello Philip,

I was asking the same question - isn't there already a Wikimedia Rossiya -
but I guess this is the User Group of Saint Petersburg in Florida (USA),
not Sankt Peterburg in Russia.
Oh wait... this IS about the city in Russia!
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

Kind regards
Ziko

Am Do., 3. Okt. 2019 um 16:15 Uhr schrieb Philip Kopetzky <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi Kirill,
>
> so it seems like geographically large countries are being split up into
> different user groups - do you think that this is a viable model for the
> future or just happened because of certain circumstances within the Russian
> community? Would your template allow a User Group from Rome, Paris, Munich
> or Sydney for example?
>
> Best,
> Philip
>
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 12:20, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I'm very happy to announce that the Affiliations Committee has recognized
> > [1] the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group [2] as a Wikimedia
> User
> > Group. The group aims to unite Wikimedians living in St. Petersburg, to
> > support the development of content on topics related to St. Petersburg
> > across different Wikimedia projects, to promote the Wikimedia projects
> and
> > movement in St. Petersburg, and to build partnerships between the
> Wikimedia
> > community and cultural, scientific, educational, and media institutions
> in
> > St. Petersburg.
> >
> > Please join me in congratulating the members of this new user group!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kirill Lokshin
> > Chair, Affiliations Committee
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
> > [2]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Asaf Bartov-2
Ziko: Yes, it is about the major Russian city.  And one of its listed
contacts is the longstanding president of Wikimedia Russia itself.

Philip: this is not an example of a large country being "split up", since
Wikimedia Russia is still around, and was not broken up.  It is also not
the first user group operating within Russia, nor even the first group with
a geographic remit.[1]

   A.

[1] e.g. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don_Wikimedians_User_Group

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 10:34 PM Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Philip,
>
> I was asking the same question - isn't there already a Wikimedia Rossiya -
> but I guess this is the User Group of Saint Petersburg in Florida (USA),
> not Sankt Peterburg in Russia.
> Oh wait... this IS about the city in Russia!
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> Am Do., 3. Okt. 2019 um 16:15 Uhr schrieb Philip Kopetzky <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi Kirill,
> >
> > so it seems like geographically large countries are being split up into
> > different user groups - do you think that this is a viable model for the
> > future or just happened because of certain circumstances within the
> Russian
> > community? Would your template allow a User Group from Rome, Paris,
> Munich
> > or Sydney for example?
> >
> > Best,
> > Philip
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 12:20, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone!
> > >
> > > I'm very happy to announce that the Affiliations Committee has
> recognized
> > > [1] the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group [2] as a Wikimedia
> > User
> > > Group. The group aims to unite Wikimedians living in St. Petersburg, to
> > > support the development of content on topics related to St. Petersburg
> > > across different Wikimedia projects, to promote the Wikimedia projects
> > and
> > > movement in St. Petersburg, and to build partnerships between the
> > Wikimedia
> > > community and cultural, scientific, educational, and media institutions
> > in
> > > St. Petersburg.
> > >
> > > Please join me in congratulating the members of this new user group!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Kirill Lokshin
> > > Chair, Affiliations Committee
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
> > > [2]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's basically
a cell of Wikimedia Russia?

It's a curious precedent.

Paulo

Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019 à(s)
20:41:

> Ziko: Yes, it is about the major Russian city.  And one of its listed
> contacts is the longstanding president of Wikimedia Russia itself.
>
> Philip: this is not an example of a large country being "split up", since
> Wikimedia Russia is still around, and was not broken up.  It is also not
> the first user group operating within Russia, nor even the first group with
> a geographic remit.[1]
>
>    A.
>
> [1] e.g. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don_Wikimedians_User_Group
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 10:34 PM Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Philip,
>>
>> I was asking the same question - isn't there already a Wikimedia Rossiya -
>> but I guess this is the User Group of Saint Petersburg in Florida (USA),
>> not Sankt Peterburg in Russia.
>> Oh wait... this IS about the city in Russia!
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Ziko
>>
>> Am Do., 3. Okt. 2019 um 16:15 Uhr schrieb Philip Kopetzky <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Hi Kirill,
>> >
>> > so it seems like geographically large countries are being split up into
>> > different user groups - do you think that this is a viable model for the
>> > future or just happened because of certain circumstances within the
>> Russian
>> > community? Would your template allow a User Group from Rome, Paris,
>> Munich
>> > or Sydney for example?
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Philip

>> recognized
>> > User
>> > and
>> > Wikimedia
>> institutions
>> > in

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliations_Committee/Resolutions/Recognition_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group
>> > >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedians_of_Saint_Petersburg_User_Group

>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
I don't see a problem with sending several representatives to the Wikimedia
Summit, instead of 1, as would be the case if there was only Wikimedia
Russia (that would be a Wikimedia Summit problem). But cells of Wikimedia
Russia or other national chapters voting for ASBS elections is a different
thing, as it unfairly duplicates the vote of the communities that follow
that strategy.

Paulo

Mārtiņš Bruņenieks <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
à(s) 21:04:

> Hello!
>
> There are different aspects to this trend.
> In upcoming CEE Meeting in Belgrade there will be 9 people from different
> affiliates based in Russia. There are other examples you can explore in
> official participant list from other countries, too [1]
>
> As long as there is no system abuse, I see this as a valid way for Erzya
> language or different Albanian language communities in different countries
> to grow their capacity.
> It might not seem fair, but on the other hand it can seem unfair that in
> the past both large and small affiliates could send 2 representatives each.
>
>  Mārtiņš
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2019/Participants/List
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 10:46 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's
>> basically a cell of Wikimedia Russia?
>>
>> It's a curious precedent.
>>
>> Paulo
>>
>> Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
>> à(s) 20:41:
>>
>>> Ziko: Yes, it is about the major Russian city.  And one of its listed
>>> contacts is the longstanding president of Wikimedia Russia itself.
>>>
>>> Philip: this is not an example of a large country being "split up",
>>> since Wikimedia Russia is still around, and was not broken up.  It is also
>>> not the first user group operating within Russia, nor even the first group
>>> with a geographic remit.[1]
>>>
>>>    A.
>>>
>>> [1] e.g. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don_Wikimedians_User_Group

>>> --
>>>     Asaf Bartov
>>>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
>>>
>>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share
>>> in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Andy Mabbett-2
On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 20:45, Paulo Santos Perneta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's basically
> a cell of Wikimedia Russia?
>
> It's a curious precedent.

The precedent was already set, in March 2017, by Wikimedia Community
User Group Wales (c/f Wikimedia UK).

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
Wales is a whole country complete with it's own language, I don't believe
it compares with a city UG.

Paulo

Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
à(s) 22:53:

> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 20:45, Paulo Santos Perneta
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's
> basically
> > a cell of Wikimedia Russia?
> >
> > It's a curious precedent.
>
> The precedent was already set, in March 2017, by Wikimedia Community
> User Group Wales (c/f Wikimedia UK).
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Yuri Astrakhan
What about Wikimedia NYC?  (I'm not sure of its organizational status)

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wales is a whole country complete with it's own language, I don't believe
> it compares with a city UG.
>
> Paulo
>
> Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
> à(s) 22:53:
>
> > On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 20:45, Paulo Santos Perneta
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's
> > basically
> > > a cell of Wikimedia Russia?
> > >
> > > It's a curious precedent.
> >
> > The precedent was already set, in March 2017, by Wikimedia Community
> > User Group Wales (c/f Wikimedia UK).
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
Wikimedia NYC is a very different situation, there is not a national
chapter in the US, so it's not a cell of anything.
Just to clarify: Saint Petersburg eventually could not be a cell, but the
way it is presented (to promote Wikimedia RU activities in SP, with same
Wikimedia RU people), it's basically a cell.

Paulo

Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
à(s) 23:06:

> What about Wikimedia NYC?  (I'm not sure of its organizational status)
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Wales is a whole country complete with it's own language, I don't believe
> > it compares with a city UG.
> >
> > Paulo
> >
> > Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta,
> 3/10/2019
> > à(s) 22:53:

> > > basically

> > > The precedent was already set, in March 2017, by Wikimedia Community
> > > User Group Wales (c/f Wikimedia UK).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andy Mabbett
> > > @pigsonthewing
> > > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Effe iets anders
I would like to note that one of the contacts of this user group is
Vladimir Medeyko, the director of Wikimedia Russia. I'm assuming
comfortably that this application happened in full coordination with
Wikimedia Russia.

The question about process is still an interesting one though (what is
nowadays the approach of Affcom, and what are the considerations) when a
user group application comes in from a geographic area with an active
affiliate at a 'higher level' (in this case, a country). You could continue
the comparison with what happens if an application would come in from South
of Nevsky (a neighborhood in St. Petersburg).

Lodewijk

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wikimedia NYC is a very different situation, there is not a national
> chapter in the US, so it's not a cell of anything.
> Just to clarify: Saint Petersburg eventually could not be a cell, but the
> way it is presented (to promote Wikimedia RU activities in SP, with same
> Wikimedia RU people), it's basically a cell.
>
> Paulo
>
> Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019
> à(s) 23:06:
>
> > What about Wikimedia NYC?  (I'm not sure of its organizational status)
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Wales is a whole country complete with it's own language, I don't
> believe
> > > it compares with a city UG.
> > >
> > > Paulo
> > >
> > > Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta,
> > 3/10/2019
> > > à(s) 22:53:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Philip Kopetzky
I can only reiterate what Lodewijk said - I'm trying to find the approach
and goals in the decision to acknowledge user groups that seem to be an
integral part (or from an outside perspective, should be) of the national
chapter. In the past this has been an indicator of personal conflicts
within a chapter or user group and AffCom perpetuating these conflicts by
setting up competing affiliates (the situation in Albania being a recent
example of this).

Best,
Philip

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 06:33, effe iets anders <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to note that one of the contacts of this user group is
> Vladimir Medeyko, the director of Wikimedia Russia. I'm assuming
> comfortably that this application happened in full coordination with
> Wikimedia Russia.
>
> The question about process is still an interesting one though (what is
> nowadays the approach of Affcom, and what are the considerations) when a
> user group application comes in from a geographic area with an active
> affiliate at a 'higher level' (in this case, a country). You could continue
> the comparison with what happens if an application would come in from South
> of Nevsky (a neighborhood in St. Petersburg).
>
> Lodewijk
>
> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Wikimedia NYC is a very different situation, there is not a national
> > chapter in the US, so it's not a cell of anything.
> > Just to clarify: Saint Petersburg eventually could not be a cell, but the
> > way it is presented (to promote Wikimedia RU activities in SP, with same
> > Wikimedia RU people), it's basically a cell.
> >
> > Paulo
> >
> > Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta,
> 3/10/2019
> > à(s) 23:06:
> >
> > > What about Wikimedia NYC?  (I'm not sure of its organizational status)
> > >
> > > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:03 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> > > [hidden email]>

> > believe

> > > 3/10/2019

> Community

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
This is a very interesting strategy for any well developed affiliate. It
allows :

* decentralization, and stronger local groups, now as full fledged
affiliates
* more seats in Berlin and other conferences
* more votes in the ASBS election
* less financial burden over the national chapter, and additional funding
for local activities.

Huge and well established chapters like WMDE could easily set up dozens of
local affiliates, with great advantage.

Paulo

A sexta, 4 de out de 2019, 08:04, Philip Kopetzky <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> I can only reiterate what Lodewijk said - I'm trying to find the approach
> and goals in the decision to acknowledge user groups that seem to be an
> integral part (or from an outside perspective, should be) of the national
> chapter. In the past this has been an indicator of personal conflicts
> within a chapter or user group and AffCom perpetuating these conflicts by
> setting up competing affiliates (the situation in Albania being a recent
> example of this).
>
> Best,
> Philip
>

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 06:33, effe iets anders <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I would like to note that one of the contacts of this user group is
> > Vladimir Medeyko, the director of Wikimedia Russia. I'm assuming
> > comfortably that this application happened in full coordination with
> > Wikimedia Russia.
> >
> > The question about process is still an interesting one though (what is
> > nowadays the approach of Affcom, and what are the considerations) when a
> > user group application comes in from a geographic area with an active
> > affiliate at a 'higher level' (in this case, a country). You could
> continue
> > the comparison with what happens if an application would come in from
> South
> > of Nevsky (a neighborhood in St. Petersburg).
> >
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Wikimedia NYC is a very different situation, there is not a national
> > > chapter in the US, so it's not a cell of anything.
> > > Just to clarify: Saint Petersburg eventually could not be a cell, but
> the
> > > way it is presented (to promote Wikimedia RU activities in SP, with
> same
> > > Wikimedia RU people), it's basically a cell.
> > >
> > > Paulo
> > >
> > > Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta,
> > 3/10/2019
> > > à(s) 23:06:

> status)

> > > believe

> it's

> > Community

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Andy Mabbett-2
On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 23:02, Paulo Santos Perneta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 3/10/2019

>> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 20:45, Paulo Santos Perneta
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> > Why isn't it a department of Wikimedia Russia, if apparently it's
> >basically a cell of Wikimedia Russia?
> >
> > It's a curious precedent.

> > The precedent was already set, in March 2017, by Wikimedia Community
> > User Group Wales (c/f Wikimedia UK).

> Wales is a whole country complete with it's own language, I don't believe
> it compares with a city UG.

Who made any comparison of Wales to a city?

The issue under discussion was a UG as "basically a cell of" a national chapter.

[Though if you do want such a comparison, St. P.'s population is near
double that of Wales]

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Effe iets anders
Sure, if you want to see it through that lens I guess you could argue such.
However, just to put things in perspective: 1) if a group has more active
cores, maybe they should be more broadly represented in Berlin. Maybe these
constructs shouldn't be necessary. 2) No matter how much some care about
the ASBS, I doubt that this will be a driving force to get more bureaucracy
(because that is the cost of setting up a UG). 3) funding for local
activities is probably not really a consideration in the case of Russia,
where foreign funding is (to put it mildly) 'complicated'.

Lets assume for the sake of the discussion that the group has legitimate
reasons to request affiliate status (although I have my assumptions, I'm
curious what tipped the scale).

Lodewijk

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 3:01 AM Paulo Santos Perneta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is a very interesting strategy for any well developed affiliate. It
> allows :
>
> * decentralization, and stronger local groups, now as full fledged
> affiliates
> * more seats in Berlin and other conferences
> * more votes in the ASBS election
> * less financial burden over the national chapter, and additional funding
> for local activities.
>
> Huge and well established chapters like WMDE could easily set up dozens of
> local affiliates, with great advantage.
>
> Paulo
>

> A sexta, 4 de out de 2019, 08:04, Philip Kopetzky <
> [hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
> > I can only reiterate what Lodewijk said - I'm trying to find the approach
> > and goals in the decision to acknowledge user groups that seem to be an
> > integral part (or from an outside perspective, should be) of the national
> > chapter. In the past this has been an indicator of personal conflicts
> > within a chapter or user group and AffCom perpetuating these conflicts by
> > setting up competing affiliates (the situation in Albania being a recent
> > example of this).
> >
> > Best,
> > Philip
> >

> > On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 06:33, effe iets anders <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to note that one of the contacts of this user group is
> > > Vladimir Medeyko, the director of Wikimedia Russia. I'm assuming
> > > comfortably that this application happened in full coordination with
> > > Wikimedia Russia.
> > >
> > > The question about process is still an interesting one though (what is
> > > nowadays the approach of Affcom, and what are the considerations) when
> > > user group application comes in from a geographic area with an active
> > > affiliate at a 'higher level' (in this case, a country). You could
> > continue
> > > the comparison with what happens if an application would come in from
> > South
> > > of Nevsky (a neighborhood in St. Petersburg).
> > >
> > > Lodewijk
> > >
> > > On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
> > > [hidden email]>

> > the
> > same

> > > 3/10/2019

> > status)

> > it's

> > > Community

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Paulo Santos Perneta
Hey,

"*1) if a group has more active cores, maybe they should be more broadly
represented in Berlin. Maybe these constructs shouldn't be necessary.*" ->
I can agree with that point, yes;
"*2) No matter how much some care about the ASBS, I doubt that this will be
a driving force to get more bureaucracy (because that is the cost of
setting up a UG).*" - I respect your opinion, but IMO getting to have
increased, or even decisive power on the election of 2 of the 5 members
(which in turn appoint and confirm the other 5) of the board of one of the
biggest players and stakeholders of modern days, as the Wikimedia
Foundation has been growing into progressively, is indeed a powerful driven
force. Furthermore, as far as I know, bureaucratic requirements for UGs are
really low, and in line with a department or cell would have to report to
the mother organization. I'm not saying or even suggesting this was the
driven force behind the formation of the SPUG, I certainly assume good
faith. I'm saying that it may be a driven force for similar cases presented
as local affiliates more or less explicitly under the umbrella of a
national chapter to pop up. And this aspect can be potentially unfair, and
even amount to abuse of the system, as a trick to gather more votes;
*"3) funding for local activities is probably not really a consideration in
the case of Russia, where foreign funding is (to put it mildly)
'complicated'.* I mentioned funding, not WMF funding necessarily. It's
perfectly understandable that a locally registered association may have, in
some contexts, more easy access to funds than a national one. I live in an
autonomous region where it is very common, so I understand it may be indeed
a legitimate reason to create and register a local affiliate. No idea if
that is the case of Saint Petersburg, but if it is, it's a smart move.

Basically, I'm not criticizing this approval - I've no idea what is behind
the group formation, though I assume the members have the best intentions,
and it actually looks like a smart move. I'm just curious if this will
become a trend, and how will it develop.

Best,
Paulo

effe iets anders <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta,
4/10/2019 à(s) 21:39:

> [...]
> > > setting up competing affiliates (the situation in Albania being a
> recent
> > > example of this).
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Philip
> > >

> > > On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 at 06:33, effe iets anders <
> [hidden email]>

> is
> when
> > > continue
> > > South

> national
> but
> > > the
> > > same

> > > status)

> don't

> quinta,

> apparently
> > > it's

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

BTW, I seem to recall that in last ASBS election, affiliates which
presented something like 70% member overlap with another affiliate would
not be allowed to participate in the process.
If this practice is kept, it avoids gaming the system (intentionally or
unintentionally) through a multiplication of affiliates which are basically
cells or clones of one of them.

If this is safeguarded, cell-style affiliates probably can become a nice
feature.

Paulo

Paulo Santos Perneta <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sábado,
5/10/2019 à(s) 00:45:

> [...]
>> > local affiliates, with great advantage.
>> >
>> > Paulo
>> >

>> > A sexta, 4 de out de 2019, 08:04, Philip Kopetzky <
>> > [hidden email]>

>> approach
>> an
>> national
>> conflicts by
>> recent

>> [hidden email]>

>> is
>> when
>> active
>> from

>> national
>> but
>> with

>> don't

>> quinta,

>> apparently

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Фархад Фаткуллин / Farhad Fatkullin
Hi folks,

I can probably comment this, as a member of both Wikimedia Russia and a Tatar language-specific UG.
On top of participation in Wikimedia Language Diversity initiative on meta, I am also contemplating and working towards starting a territory-specific UG for my region + an incubator UG for more language-specific UG in the languages of Russia.

Wikimedians of Russia seem to see the matreshkas of (1) "global conference - regional conference - topic-specific conferences"  & (2) WMF & affiliates general meeting - national chapters - UGs" as natural structures, each addressing different tasks, having different priorities, whilst cooperating in various projects.

* Wikimedia Russia legal requirements (in-person quorum for decision-making, etc.) doesn't allow us to accept into membership all members of all our regional, language or topic specific UGs. So our chapter is evolving towards a mixed confederation status, selectively welcoming some members from various groupings around Russia (which themselves can't be neither cells nor branches of WMRU).

* SPB is not purely a city, but a one of 85 provinces (read states) of the Russian Federation (like my home Republic of Tatarstan, neighbouring Republic of Bashkortostan with its Bashkir Wiki-grandmas, or a city of Moscow).

* Once we will spin out UG MSK, we will complete transforming Wikimedia Russia into a collective entity for join tasks, working on national-level advocacy & other projects.

* We currently have 5 existing UGs, have two more filed & at least one more at the preparation stage - as this is a good way to engage locally or topically interested public into Wikimedia universe.

regards,
farhad

--
Farhad Fatkullin - Фархад Фаткуллин Тел.+79274158066 / skype:frhdkazan / Wikipedia:frhdkazan / Wikidata:Q34036417

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Affiliates] Recognition of the Wikimedians of Saint Petersburg User Group

Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga
Thanks for the clarification and the insights. This could be a really interesting organizative model for huge countries, even for countries with more than one chapter but not a country level one, as happens in the USA.

2019 urr. 5 4:38 PM erabiltzaileak hau idatzi du (Фархад Фаткуллин / Farhad Fatkullin <[hidden email]>):