[Wikimedia-l] Request for status update on CC-BY-SA 4.0

[Wikimedia-l] Request for status update on CC-BY-SA 4.0

Denny Vrandečić-2
About one and a half years ago, there was a consultation process about
updating the Wikimedia Terms of Use to move from CC 3.0 to 4.0 licenses.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_use/Creative_Commons_4.0

I would like to ask what the status of this proposal is, and whom to bother
to get this unstuck in case it is stuck.

Cheers,
Denny

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Request for status update on CC-BY-SA 4.0

Info WorldUniversity
I think this CC-4 licensing would allow for 1) sharing, 2) adapting, but 3)
non-commercially. At least this is what I learned when I was in
communication a number of times with the MIT associate *dean* of
digital *learning
Cecilia d'Oliveira *at the time about sharing CC-4 licensed MIT
OpenCourseWare now in 5 languages (re WUaS). Would this indeed be the case
for Wikimedia resources?

Cheers, Scott

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 4:15 PM, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> About one and a half years ago, there was a consultation process about
> updating the Wikimedia Terms of Use to move from CC 3.0 to 4.0 licenses.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_use/Creative_Commons_4.0
>
> I would like to ask what the status of this proposal is, and whom to bother
> to get this unstuck in case it is stuck.
>
> Cheers,
> Denny

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch
- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Request for status update on CC-BY-SA 4.0

metasj
No.
OCW uses CC-NC-SA 4.0; Wikimedia uses CC-SA 3.0.

Denny is asking where we are in upgrading to CC-SA 4.0, which is a very
good question. :)
That will provide all of the same modes of reuse as the 3.0 license, but is
more cleanly compatible with other 4.0 licenses, particularly around edge
cases.

SJ

P.S. other MIT groups are moving towards licenses without the NC clause;
with a little high-volume video conversion help we could accelerate this
process!