Quantcast

[Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase April 19, 2017

[Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase April 19, 2017

Sarah Rodlund
Hi Everyone,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday, April 19,
2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC.

YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Prf0Vb-k1I

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. And,
you can watch our past research showcases here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#April_2017>.

This month's presentations:

Using WikiBrain to visualize Wikipedia's neighborhoodsBy *Dr. Shilad Sen
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Shilad>*While Wikipedia serves as the
world's most widely reference for humans, it also represents the most
widely use body of knowledge for algorithms that must reason about the
world. I will provide an overview of WikiBrain, a software project that
serves as a platform for Wikipedia-based algorithms. I will also demo a
brand new system built on WikiBrain that visualizes any dataset as a
topographic map whose neighborhoods correspond to related Wikipedia
articles. I hope to get feedback about which directions for these tools are
most useful to the Wikipedia research community.

--
Sarah R. Rodlund
Senior Project Coordinator-Product & Technology, Wikimedia Foundation