[Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Patricio Lorente
2013/4/30 Charles Andres <[hidden email]>:
> In Milan we discuss about Chapters peer review as a tools that the WMF could use in parallel if FDC assessment.
>
> But in light of the discussion about who should or not apply to the FDC, it seems that chapters peer review should be consider by chapter willing to apply to the FDC as a preliminary step.
>
> I think that a friendly discussion between peers about the reasons to apply to the FDC would help everybody to save time and facilitate the choice of the appropriate grant process  :-)

Hi Charles! That would be really helpful.

I'd also like to remind that the process for next year's proposals
includes a Letter of Intent as first step, which will allow the both
the FDC and the applicants to work on the proposals four months in
advance to the presentation deadline and hopefully helping to improve
the applications and/or help to decide which should be the choice of
grant process. I hope some concerns expressed in this thread will be
addressed with this change in the process. See
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-April/125199.html
for more details.

                                                Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Deryck Chan-2
On 30 April 2013 10:22, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> (=we were sold the fact that the money collected belong to the mouvement,
> not to the entity collecting it. If so, decisions of allocations should not
> become WMF ones).
>
> Agreed, which is why I think the FDC's advice is so important and I hope
> to never have to question it (although the board does have to have a final
> say in these matters as a matter of governance)
>

> > In any cases... I know not if WM HK should have been funded or not. What
> I know is that the mouvement need happy and rested and humanly treated
> volunteers to stay healthy.
>
> True, but volunteers also have to ensure not to force themselves into
> positions of "make or break" and thereby put themselves at risk.
>

> > We keep talking about editors decrease. Maybe in the future, we'll talk
> about irl volunteers (as in "chapter members") decrease as well.
>
> I think we should, and I think that some of that discussion took place in
> Milan. As we know there are different kind of volunteers who organise
> affiliates (because the problem is not limited to chapters) and it takes
> different ways to keep motivated. These are important topics to discuss and
> keep track of. But lets not fall into the trap of blaming the "big
> bureaucratic body of the WMF" for all the problems we have. Volunteers burn
> out because of lots of reasons and we should all take care to fix those
> problems that are within our reach to control, and try to reduce the risk
> of burnout for all those involved (and again: meeting each other physically
> and exchanging experiences is a really good way of recharging)...
>
> > In the past years, we have seen several times organizers of Wikimania
> plain disappear after the event. Burn-out. I do not think it is a good
> outcome. For no-one.
> > And I do not think it is a good idea to slap a chapter organizing
> Wikimania this year with words such as "infant, minimal development, fuzzy
> strategic goals" whose funding would be "at an absolute minimum,
> mis-management and waste of donor resources".
>
> I would never characterise it that way, but I would also not
> >
> > Organizing Wikimania is an effort which deserve a little bit more
> respect than this. Either we trust the chapter to host Wikimania or we do
> not. I do.
>
> I do trust them for organising Wikimania (its looking to be great!) , but
> I think that their FDC proposal was too optimistic in growth and share the
> other criticism of the FDC and the community on the talk page. The two are
> not isolated, but they are not the same either.
>
> And to be clear: I think that WMHK should reapply to the GAC (because I do
> think we need to fund them as a movement) with a modest proposal (and
> reading Asaf's long mail it seems to me that this is a much better place
> for their proposal… I just wonder how we can ensure that affiliates apply
> to the right funding the first time around. Of course a condition to any

Last time I've checked, GAC explicitly disallow proposals for full-time
permanent staffing and administrative costs, stating that FDC is the only
place we can get funding for that.

Having project funding alone wouldn't help - it is precisely because the
grants team disallows the use of project grants for administrative purposes
that WMHK ended up in its current awkward situation.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 30.04.2013 01:12, Florence Devouard wrote:
> Le 4/30/13 12:04 AM, Nathan a écrit :

> In the past years, we have seen several times organizers of Wikimania
> plain disappear after the event. Burn-out. I do not think it is a good
> outcome. For no-one.
> And I do not think it is a good idea to slap a chapter organizing
> Wikimania this year with words such as "infant, minimal development,
> fuzzy strategic goals" whose funding would be "at an absolute minimum,
> mis-management and waste of donor resources".
>
> Organizing Wikimania is an effort which deserve a little bit more
> respect than this. Either we trust the chapter to host Wikimania or we
> do not. I do.
>
> And I think that even though you are free to think funding this
> chapter would be a bad move, it would be a good move from a human
> perspective to present apologies for using such a strong statement.
>
> Florence

My personal experience after being an active program committee member
on the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there
(and I believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example, we
managed to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was only
appreciated by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good words
from anybody else, a lot of bad words were coming from all kind of
corners, and nobody in 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in 2014
ever contacted me asking whether I would have any interest to do this
job again. In 2011, someone duly revoked my Wikimania wiki administrator
flag saying smth like "not needed anymore", and nobody cared to thank me
or even to inform me of that. I obviously decided afterwards that there
are other, less painful ways I can be do my community service, and lost
all interest in Wikimania organization.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Richard Symonds-3
I think, perhaps, that the reform of the Wikimania bidding process could
use a new thread!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 30 April 2013 11:49, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30.04.2013 01:12, Florence Devouard wrote:
>
>> Le 4/30/13 12:04 AM, Nathan a écrit :
>>

>  In the past years, we have seen several times organizers of Wikimania
>> plain disappear after the event. Burn-out. I do not think it is a good
>> outcome. For no-one.
>> And I do not think it is a good idea to slap a chapter organizing
>> Wikimania this year with words such as "infant, minimal development,
>> fuzzy strategic goals" whose funding would be "at an absolute minimum,
>> mis-management and waste of donor resources".
>>
>> Organizing Wikimania is an effort which deserve a little bit more
>> respect than this. Either we trust the chapter to host Wikimania or we
>> do not. I do.
>>
>> And I think that even though you are free to think funding this
>> chapter would be a bad move, it would be a good move from a human
>> perspective to present apologies for using such a strong statement.
>>
>> Florence
>>

> My personal experience after being an active program committee member on
> the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there (and I
> believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example, we managed
> to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was only appreciated
> by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good words from anybody else,
> a lot of bad words were coming from all kind of corners, and nobody in
> 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in 2014 ever contacted me asking
> whether I would have any interest to do this job again. In 2011, someone
> duly revoked my Wikimania wiki administrator flag saying smth like "not
> needed anymore", and nobody cared to thank me or even to inform me of that.
> I obviously decided afterwards that there are other, less painful ways I
> can be do my community service, and lost all interest in Wikimania
> organization.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania

Katie Chan
On 30/04/2013 11:49, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:

> My personal experience after being an active program committee member
> on the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there
> (and I believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example,
> we managed to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was
> only appreciated by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good
> words from anybody else, a lot of bad words were coming from all kind
> of corners, and nobody in 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in
> 2014 ever contacted me asking whether I would have any interest to do
> this job again. In 2011, someone duly revoked my Wikimania wiki
> administrator flag saying smth like "not needed anymore", and nobody
> cared to thank me or even to inform me of that. I obviously decided
> afterwards that there are other, less painful ways I can be do my
> community service, and lost all interest in Wikimania organization.

I would just like to point out that there's no Program Committee for
2014 as the jury decision on host haven't even been made yet, and for
2013 there were an open invitation for people to volunteer to serve on
the Programmes Commitee and Scholarship Committee -
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2012-October/004375.html>.
Yes, as a movement in general we need to get better at showing
apperication for others hard work, but let's not generalise.

Regards,

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the author is associated with or employed by.

      - Heinrich Heine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 30.04.2013 13:23, Katie Chan wrote:

> On 30/04/2013 11:49, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
>> My personal experience after being an active program committee member
>> on the 2010 Wikimania Organizing Committee was that my activity there
>> (and I believe in the end of the day we did a good job - for example,
>> we managed to accept all submissions with a very few exceptions) was
>> only appreciated by my fellow organizers. I have not heard any good
>> words from anybody else, a lot of bad words were coming from all kind
>> of corners, and nobody in 2011, 2012, 2013, or, for that matter, in
>> 2014 ever contacted me asking whether I would have any interest to do
>> this job again. In 2011, someone duly revoked my Wikimania wiki
>> administrator flag saying smth like "not needed anymore", and nobody
>> cared to thank me or even to inform me of that. I obviously decided
>> afterwards that there are other, less painful ways I can be do my
>> community service, and lost all interest in Wikimania organization.
>
> I would just like to point out that there's no Program Committee for
> 2014 as the jury decision on host haven't even been made yet, and for
> 2013 there were an open invitation for people to volunteer to serve on
> the Programmes Commitee and Scholarship Committee -
> <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2012-October/004375.html>.
> Yes, as a movement in general we need to get better at showing
> apperication for others hard work, but let's not generalise.
>
> Regards,
>
> KTC

As I said, this is my personal experience, and not a generalization. I
unsubscribed from wikimania-l I believe in 2010, and now I will not do
it again even if personally approached. I am fine with doing community
service, but I am not really fine with being insulted for doing
community service because people do not care to figure out who is doing
what and insult the first person who approaches them.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
I think Jan-Bart did point out an interesting point
As I heard in Milan
Long time staffing, must go trough FDC
And we exactly know our weakness on transparency and management
(I already tried hard to push my rest of team when I was on the chapter
board
But what do you expect if they have day time or/& studies?)

And going trough these year of struggle for survival
We are already very clear to improve the situation we need permanent staff
to stabilize the structure, to free up volunteer to work out something more
"meaningful".

As we aware of problem, we are run out of way to improve, it is bottleneck
we need to tackle. So the FDC decision  suggests chapter like us should
never professionalize? Or never hire staff? Or never apply grant? As
without staffing we dun think we can really have a change, as everyone had
to spent at least 60 hours a week for work and studies.

But the immediate effect of this (I-would-call-in-a-community-aspect)
irresponsible decision is not just kill off the chance of development, the
worse is liquidating the faith of volunteers.

Also we understand the local environment can be how harsh to charity run by
young people like us
WMF is rather easy way to get funding, so I can understand why they have
such strong feeling
It is frankly a huge slam on the local communities faith on that WMF can be
helpful all the time.

we have plans and right connections, just need people to deal with the
stuff in working hours
and of course improve the area they accuse us
That's it

(also one note about the accusation of mismanagement previous fund

we did have apply grant via projects, we finished the report, and we told
them we have money left, nobody had tell us what to do clearly
AND WMF STAFF CONTACTS JUST CHANGE ALL THE TIME

Actually I do find this new grant system really disgusting
I know there are always some good & helpful staff and people around
Frankly I dun think the FdC related person are & will

And now they force me to think of other harder local alternative (which
again a hell lot volunteer time)
Sorry frankly I dun have confidence on appeal or ombudsman after go through
all these frankly

On the other hands we need more (fxxxing) paperworks for appeal or
ombudsman, which the team is super tired with, I just ponder why the things
go so inhumane.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29 Apr, 2013, at 2:37, "Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all

I am ACTUALLY PANIC when reading this.

Normally I would say please don't go,
but realizing myself I am not on the Local Chapter board already
and even myself start to feel don't know what to do next

And I am sorry to say, the decision had totally stir up the emotion of the
whole Wikimania Local Team
I frankly don't know whether if it will lead to a melt down of our
volunteer power
after frustrations of all these years as Deryck said, as I was on the Board
and knew most of the stories.

--
Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
http://plasticnews.wf/

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Osmar Valdebenito-2
Probably a smoother transition would be much more appropiate. A part-time
or temporary employee that can take care of the belated reports and
paperwork that you, as volunteers, can't do and probably establish some
basis for a future growth.
WM-AR, WM-RS and WM-IL have professionalized in the latest years (correct
me if there is any other chapter too), which are medium-sized chapters,
probably similar to HK.You should take a look at their/our experience and
that can be helpful to imagine what you can do.

*Osmar Valdebenito G.*
Director Ejecutivo
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina

2013/4/30 Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>
> Normally I would say please don't go,
> but realizing myself I am not on the Local Chapter board already
> and even myself start to feel don't know what to do next
>
> And I am sorry to say, the decision had totally stir up the emotion of the
> whole Wikimania Local Team
> I frankly don't know whether if it will lead to a melt down of our
> volunteer power
> after frustrations of all these years as Deryck said, as I was on the Board
> and knew most of the stories.
>
> --
> Jeromy-Yu Chan, Jerry
> http://plasticnews.wf/
> http://about.me/jeromyu
> UID: Jeromyu
> (on Facebook, Twitter, Plurk & most sites)
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Οὔτε τι τῶν ἀνθρωπίνων ἄξιον  ὂν μεγάλης σπουδῆς

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
hi Jeromy-Yu,

thank you for sharing this personal note.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> As we aware of problem, we are run out of way to improve, it is bottleneck
> we need to tackle. So the FDC decision  suggests chapter like us should
> never professionalize? Or never hire staff? Or never apply grant? As
> without staffing we dun think we can really have a change, as everyone had
> to spent at least 60 hours a week for work and studies.

I hope it is clear that the FDC decision DOES NOT suggest that you should
never professionalize at all, or hire staff, etc. This decision is related
only to your submitted project (its content, the evaluated impact, as well
as volume - you applied for over 200,000 USD to start with; as well as the
estimated capacity to deal with the project's scale, responsibilities,
etc.).

I also encourage you to go through the comments from the deliberation:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/FDC_recommendations/2012-2013_round2#Comments_from_the_deliberation

> But the immediate effect of this (I-would-call-in-a-community-aspect)
> irresponsible decision is not just kill off the chance of development, the
> worse is liquidating the faith of volunteers.

I'm really very sorry to hear that and I assure you that it has never been
our intention to undermine the spirit of volunteers. On the contrary, the
volunteer work is something you shine in, and Wikimania organization is
something everybody on the FDC has been really impressed with. However, I
also hope you realize that the project evaluation has to be done basing on
its own merits, and it did not include Wikimania at all (funded
separately).

best,

dariusz ("pundit")

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Balázs Viczián
Is there any (un)official policy/strong advice/anything against direct
hiring from WMF/FDC/whatever grants?

Balazs

2013/4/30 Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>

> hi Jeromy-Yu,
>
> thank you for sharing this personal note.
>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > As we aware of problem, we are run out of way to improve, it is
> bottleneck
> > we need to tackle. So the FDC decision  suggests chapter like us should
> > never professionalize? Or never hire staff? Or never apply grant? As
> > without staffing we dun think we can really have a change, as everyone
> had
> > to spent at least 60 hours a week for work and studies.
> >

> I hope it is clear that the FDC decision DOES NOT suggest that you should
> never professionalize at all, or hire staff, etc. This decision is related
> only to your submitted project (its content, the evaluated impact, as well
> as volume - you applied for over 200,000 USD to start with; as well as the
> estimated capacity to deal with the project's scale, responsibilities,
> etc.).
>
> I also encourage you to go through the comments from the deliberation:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal/FDC_recommendations/2012-2013_round2#Comments_from_the_deliberation
>

> > But the immediate effect of this (I-would-call-in-a-community-aspect)
> > irresponsible decision is not just kill off the chance of development,
> the
> > worse is liquidating the faith of volunteers.
> >

> I'm really very sorry to hear that and I assure you that it has never been
> our intention to undermine the spirit of volunteers. On the contrary, the
> volunteer work is something you shine in, and Wikimania organization is
> something everybody on the FDC has been really impressed with. However, I
> also hope you realize that the project evaluation has to be done basing on
> its own merits, and it did not include Wikimania at all (funded
> separately).
>
> best,
>
> dariusz ("pundit")

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Florence Devouard-3
Le 4/30/13 12:52 PM, Richard Symonds a écrit :
> I think, perhaps, that the reform of the Wikimania bidding process could
> use a new thread!

Yaroslav is not telling us about his experience on the bidding process,
but about his experience about (not) feeling loved and appreciated for
his effort and involvement.

And boy... is that sad :(

Flo

Le 4/30/13 11:22 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede a écrit :

> Hey Florence
>
> On Apr 30, 2013, at 1:12 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 4/30/13 12:04 AM, Nathan a écrit :
>>>

>>> It's not logical to assume that because the WMF has funds it should in
>>> some way equitably distribute those funds around the world.
>>
>> What happens to the idea according to which the funds belong to the Wikimedia mouvement rather than to Wikimedia Foundation ?
>
> Please note that you are disagreeing with Nathan, not with others (like me and as far as I know the entire board) who have supported the idea of the FDC because it is a great way to ensure that the funds are distributed amongst the movement in the interest of the movement. The funds are those of the movement, and although we might disagree on how the funds are divided we agree on that. I am happy to see that the FDC as a body (and the community review process as a important addition) ensures much more transparent processes.

No worry there. I know the board is largely (or unanimously ?)
supporting the concept of FDC. My question was definitly to Nathan...

>> Supporting
>>> chapter operations, and funding offices and staff in dozens of
>>> countries, is not the chief object of the money raised from donors. We
>>> need to get away from the belief that chapters are unquestionably the
>>> best use of movement resources. There is a place for outreach,
>>> publicity, and targeted educational programs. But the WMF is best
>>> situated to supplement the efforts begun by volunteers, in the same
>>> way the WMF itself was created and has grown.
>>
>> I would object to the idea that WMF is best situated to supplement efforts started by volunteers and that statement parts from the decision made some months ago to deflate WMF role.
>> But we may agree to disagree on this.
>
> I would agree with you here. I think that the WMF is in a good position to help certain initiatives and that in several cases there are better alternatives. This is why I am so excited about chapters helping chapters and all affiliations being able to join the wikimedia conference in Milan this year. It is that kind of exchange of experience which is perfect for all involved, and lets remember that what works for some might not work for others.
>

>> Additionnaly... I must add that when WMF was precisely at the current stage of most chapters (with no staff and no office), it was run in a rather creative fashion that would make everyone cough today in comparison to the requirements and obligations made mandatory to chapters. Uh. You may have a slightly more ideal view of the past :)
>
> True, but just because things used to be "bad" is no reason that they should be "bad" now if we can prevent it (I was there with you, and we are both happy that we outgrew that phase with a minimal of damage and a LOT of luck in finding the right ED)  the scale of the organisation now makes it impossible to tolerate that kind of "creativity" when not absolutely necessary.

True. But I would argue that's in good part because we had so little
that things were operated in a "bad" way. And it is not because WMF was
so tight on money for its first 3-4 years of operations that we should
somehow make it so that all organizations should also go through such
pains.

>> It would be a poor use
>>> of movement funds indeed if the WMF decided to pour money into infant
>>> chapters with minimal development and fuzzy strategic goals. That's a
>>> recipe for, at an absolute minimum, good-faith mismanagement and waste
>>> of scarce donor resources. Avoiding this path was a very wise decision
>>> by the trustees, and I only hope they remain resolute despite
>>> criticism and Sue's impending departure.
>>
>> I mostly hope that they stay consistant with their own past decisions (=we were sold the fact that the money collected belong to the mouvement, not to the entity collecting it. If so, decisions of allocations should not become WMF ones).
>
> Agreed, which is why I think the FDC's advice is so important and I hope to never have to question it (although the board does have to have a final say in these matters as a matter of governance)
>

>> In any cases... I know not if WM HK should have been funded or not. What I know is that the mouvement need happy and rested and humanly treated volunteers to stay healthy.
>
> True, but volunteers also have to ensure not to force themselves into positions of "make or break" and thereby put themselves at risk.

Yup :)
Which is why I stepped down at last year elections on WM FR board. I am
really glad I did it. I knew this year was going to be really tough. And
it is not deceiving me.... annus horribilis :(

>> We keep talking about editors decrease. Maybe in the future, we'll talk about irl volunteers (as in "chapter members") decrease as well.
>
> I think we should, and I think that some of that discussion took place in Milan. As we know there are different kind of volunteers who organise affiliates (because the problem is not limited to chapters) and it takes different ways to keep motivated. These are important topics to discuss and keep track of. But lets not fall into the trap of blaming the "big bureaucratic body of the WMF" for all the problems we have. Volunteers burn out because of lots of reasons and we should all take care to fix those problems that are within our reach to control, and try to reduce the risk of burnout for all those involved (and again: meeting each other physically and exchanging experiences is a really good way of recharging)...

I do not think WMF bureaucracy is to blame in this case.

>> In the past years, we have seen several times organizers of Wikimania plain disappear after the event. Burn-out. I do not think it is a good outcome. For no-one.
>> And I do not think it is a good idea to slap a chapter organizing Wikimania this year with words such as "infant, minimal development, fuzzy strategic goals" whose funding would be "at an absolute minimum, mis-management and waste of donor resources".
>
> I would never characterise it that way, but I would also not
>>
>> Organizing Wikimania is an effort which deserve a little bit more respect than this. Either we trust the chapter to host Wikimania or we do not. I do.
>
> I do trust them for organising Wikimania (its looking to be great!) , but I think that their FDC proposal was too optimistic in growth and share the other criticism of the FDC and the community on the talk page. The two are not isolated, but they are not the same either.
>
> And to be clear: I think that WMHK should reapply to the GAC (because I do think we need to fund them as a movement) with a modest proposal (and reading Asaf's long mail it seems to me that this is a much better place for their proposal… I just wonder how we can ensure that affiliates apply to the right funding the first time around. Of course a condition to any funding is being in compliance.

Yeah, but the rules of the GAC probably need to be refreshed so that it
can cover administrative costs which would not be directly related to a
specific project but would be more general support to an organization
(this organization would still need to show decent programming of
course). Admin stuff is probably what is right now toughest for most
organizations.

I was thinking of the numerous (quite successful) associations in
France, which are simply made of entrepreneurs wishing to do things
together (from networking, to training, to visits, conferences etc.).
Most of those associations have only one staff member, a long-term hired
secretary who takes care of secretarial work. The rest of the
association activity is 100% taken care of by the volunteer
entrepreneurs (usually through an extended board of volunteer members).
In many cases, the secretary is paid with sponsorship and membership
fees. Oftenly, the city or the region offers a free-of-charge office
corner in a public building. With only one full time or 50% time
secretary knowing all details of the association, the members of these
associations do miracles because they are relieved of the burden of
doing paperworks, renting spaces, giving phone calls, sending general
assemblies invitation, sending receipt, cashing checks and doing doodles
to organize meetings. In most cases where I have seen this secretary
position missing, the association is suffering because members get stuck
in simple paperwork stuff. That's sad. Just a stable position of the
sort can change things dramatically and balance the turnover of members.

But this recipe which I think is generally a good practice amongst such
associations is not possible for our organizations through the GAC
system and pushes them toward the FDC at a much too early stage of
development.

Compliance or lack there-of is a different issue.

Flo

> Jan-Bart

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Philippe Beaudette-3
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Yaroslav is not telling us about his experience on the bidding process,
> but about his experience about (not) feeling loved and appreciated for his
> effort and involvement.
>
> And boy... is that sad :(
>
> Flo

Agreed, and I'll say it:  to Yaroslav and everyone else who slaves away to
make Wikimania work... thank you.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

pb

___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

MZMcBride-2
Florence Devouard wrote:
>I was thinking of the numerous (quite successful) associations in
>France, which are simply made of entrepreneurs wishing to do things
>together (from networking, to training, to visits, conferences etc.).
>Most of those associations have only one staff member, a long-term hired
>secretary who takes care of secretarial work. The rest of the
>association activity is 100% taken care of by the volunteer
>entrepreneurs (usually through an extended board of volunteer members).

Yes, this kind of association is also somewhat common in the United States
as well. I agree that it might serve as a very good model for a healthy
number of Wikimedia chapters.

>In many cases, the secretary is paid with sponsorship and membership
>fees.

The Wikimedia Foundation seems to be in a good place to ensure that this
need is met for chapters in need of a full-time staff person. A little
seed money. What needs to happen in order to ensure requests like this are
met if membership fees and sponsorships aren't sufficient?

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Deryck Chan-2
Hello everyone again.

Thank you those of you who replied to me either on this thread or
privately. I've already replied to them off-list where appropriate.

I apologise that my intentionally harsh words in the original mail and
subsequent public replies may have been construed as bad-faith personal
attacks against certain members of WMF staff and the FDC. In particular, I
recognise that my anecdotal use of the words "foul play" may have hurt
people's feelings; I apologise and retract this remark. I have already
filed a formal complaint in my personal capacity to the FDC ombudsmen. I'm
determined to step away from Wikimedia administration matters, so I won't
comment any more on this matter.

Thanks for reading and I'm glad to see some positive suggestions coming out
of this thread. I urge the WMF and FDC to implement the proposed supportive
measures for local volunteers.

Deryck

On 28 April 2013 23:52, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> aren't good enough therefore we won't get help to do any better. We don't
> have professional staff to help us comply with the endless and
> ever-changing professional reporting criteria, therefore we can't be
> trusted to hire the staff to do precisely that.
>
> My dear friends and trusty Wikimedians, do you now understand the irony
> and the frustration?
>
> Wikimedia didn't start off as a traditional charity. It is precisely
> because of how revolutionary our mission and culture are, that we as a
> movement have reached where we are today. A few movement entities,
> particularly the WMF, managed to expand and take on the skin of a much more
> traditional charity. But most of us are still youthful Wikimedia
> enthusiasts who are well-versed with Wikimedia culture, but not with
> charity governance. Imposing a professional standard upon a movement entity
> as a prerequisite of giving it help to professionalise, is like judging
> toddlers by their full marathon times.
>
> Is this what we want Wikimedia to become? To turn from a revolutionary
> idea to a charity so conservative that it would rather perpetuate a
> chicken-and-egg problem than support long-awaited growth? I threw in days
> and days of effort in the last few years, often at the peril of my degree
> studies, with the wishful thinking that one day the help will come to let
> WMHK and all the other small but well-established chapters professionalise.
>
> I was wrong.
>
> With the FDC process hammering the final nail into my scepticism about
> where WMF and the movement is heading, I figured that with a degree in
> environmental engineering from Cambridge my life will be much better spent
> helping other worthy causes than wasting days on Wikimedia administration
> work only to have them go unappreciated time and time again.
>
> But I feel that it is necessary for me to leave a parting message to my
> fellow Wikimedians, a stern warning about where I see our movement heading.
> I feel that we're losing our character and losing our appreciation for
> volunteers, in particular the limitations of volunteer effort.
>
> I leave you all with a final thought from Dan Pallotta: charitable efforts
> will never grow if we continue to be so adverse about "overheads" and
> staffing.
> http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong.html
>
> With Wiki-Love,
> Deryck
>
> PS. I wish there was an appropriate private mailing list for me to send
> this to. Unfortunately, most of the important WMF stakeholders aren't
> subscribed to internal-l, and most veteran chapters folks know what I want
> to say already. I just hope that trolls wouldn't blow this out of
> proportion. Or perhaps I do want this to be blown out of proportion so that
> my voice will actually be heard. Thanks for reading.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Asaf Bartov-2
Hi, Deryck.

Thank you.  Apology accepted.  I look forward to working with WMHK on a
suitable plan for development (even right now, though I'm guessing WMHK has
its hands full till after Wikimania).

Cheers,

    Asaf

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Dear Deryck,

many thanks for your letter. It is a relief to know that you're not
assuming bad faith.  I really hope that your enthusiasm for Wikimedia will
not die out completely.

One remark: I think that you may need to file a complaint not in your
personal capacity, but representing the chapter (it would be logical if
only the organizations, which are dissatisfied with the results related to
them, could complain). The deadline is also quite short, 7 days from the
day the recommendations were published.

best,

dariusz

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I leave you all with a final thought from Dan Pallotta: charitable
> efforts
> > will never grow if we continue to be so adverse about "overheads" and
> > staffing.
> >
> http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong.html
> >
> > With Wiki-Love,
> > Deryck
> >
> > PS. I wish there was an appropriate private mailing list for me to send
> > this to. Unfortunately, most of the important WMF stakeholders aren't
> > subscribed to internal-l, and most veteran chapters folks know what I
> want
> > to say already. I just hope that trolls wouldn't blow this out of
> > proportion. Or perhaps I do want this to be blown out of proportion so
> that
> > my voice will actually be heard. Thanks for reading.

[Wikimedia-l] Some interesting thing about our "friend" User:Shujenchang

Addis Wang
Hi Everyone

There may be no reason for me to post a Blocking Notification to the mail list, but this thing will absolutely  let you feel shocked which I think it's necessary to reveal what kind of people working with us, and even making important decision.

User:Shujenchang, as know as User:ZH979433, who announced to quit the Chinese Wikipedia after local CheckUsers were elected. But coincidentally, the person who was strongly against the the ZHWP has local CheckUser, was checked and blocked for his disgusting and abominable behavior.

User:Shujenchang stole his ex-boyfriend's Wikipedia account and vandalize Wikipedia because of the broken relationship. By considering his announcement that forever quit ZHWP, User:BenMQ only blocked him in one month to warning. People will lose control in sometimes, it might be too unfriendly if presuming his moral quality only by this. When we thought User: Shujenchang will leave ZHWP and things turn to good, another crazy thing happened.

User:Shujenchang post personal attacks on his ex-boyfriend by using the account of User:Ltdccba when Ltdccba went to the restroom and left his laptop. By using others' trust, User:Shujenchang framed the person who took him as friend. Was checked twice, I finally understand why User:Shujenchang tried to stop the election of local CheckUser.

His account was blocked right now by User:BenMQ. But this "friend" still try to do something on Wikimedia. Please be aware of this thing, who knows who is next EX or next Ltdccba.

The first Blocking Notification: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Shujenchang#Blocking_Notification_on_ZHWP
Meta User Page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Shujenchang
Voting Members of the Wikimania 2014 Jury: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2014_jury
Blocking information on zhwp: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:%E5%B0%81%E7%A6%81%E7%94%A8%E6%88%B7/ZH979433
User:Ltdccba's explanation: https://zh.wikipedia.org/?oldid=26580664#.E8.AF.B7.E4.B8.8D.E8.A6.81.E4.BB.BF.E7.85.A7IP.E7.94.A8.E6.88.B7.E7.AD.BE.E5.90.8D

Sorry if disturbing!

Best Wishes!

Addis Wang

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Some interesting thing about our "friend" User:Shujenchang

Huib Laurens
Hi Addis,

I'm not sure what you try to do with this e-mail, because this behavior
seems to be zh wiki only and not a foundation wide problem. This seems to
be like trowing dirt.

Secondly you say that the user "stole" the computer from a user and then
used a closed browser to vandalize Wikipedia. This is because the user says
his computer was stolen. But there is no way in earth to proof that this
was the case. (NO checkuser will be able to confirm that the user you are
blaming used somebody elses his computer to edit as a IP number).

As last you say that he / she stole the account of the ex boyfriend and
used it to vandalize Wikipedia. Why do you think it was her? Its good
possible that the ex used his account in her house or WiFi or a place where
they both come oftenly and then vandalize Wikipedia. Did a CU confirmed
that it was her computer?

The fact that the blocking user is also a CU it would be very easy to frame
somebody like this. And you don't really give any proof. So please be
careful before you destroy people's names.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM, AddisWang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> There may be no reason for me to post a Blocking Notification to the mail
> list, but this thing will absolutely  let you feel shocked which I think
> it's necessary to reveal what kind of people working with us, and even
> making important decision.
>
> User:Shujenchang, as know as User:ZH979433, who announced to quit the
> Chinese Wikipedia after local CheckUsers were elected. But coincidentally,
> the person who was strongly against the the ZHWP has local CheckUser, was
> checked and blocked for his disgusting and abominable behavior.
>
> User:Shujenchang stole his ex-boyfriend's Wikipedia account and vandalize
> Wikipedia because of the broken relationship. By considering his
> announcement that forever quit ZHWP, User:BenMQ only blocked him in one
> month to warning. People will lose control in sometimes, it might be too
> unfriendly if presuming his moral quality only by this. When we thought
> User: Shujenchang will leave ZHWP and things turn to good, another crazy
> thing happened.
>
> User:Shujenchang post personal attacks on his ex-boyfriend by using the
> account of User:Ltdccba when Ltdccba went to the restroom and left his
> laptop. By using others' trust, User:Shujenchang framed the person who took
> him as friend. Was checked twice, I finally understand why User:Shujenchang
> tried to stop the election of local CheckUser.
>
> His account was blocked right now by User:BenMQ. But this "friend" still
> try to do something on Wikimedia. Please be aware of this thing, who knows
> who is next EX or next Ltdccba.
>
> The first Blocking Notification:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Shujenchang#Blocking_Notification_on_ZHWP
> Meta User Page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Shujenchang
> Voting Members of the Wikimania 2014 Jury:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2014_jury
> Blocking information on zhwp:
> http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:%E5%B0%81%E7%A6%81%E7%94%A8%E6%88%B7/ZH979433
> User:Ltdccba's explanation:
> https://zh.wikipedia.org/?oldid=26580664#.E8.AF.B7.E4.B8.8D.E8.A6.81.E4.BB.BF.E7.85.A7IP.E7.94.A8.E6.88.B7.E7.AD.BE.E5.90.8D
>
> Sorry if disturbing!
>
> Best Wishes!
>
> Addis Wang

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Some interesting thing about our "friend" User:Shujenchang

Deryck Chan-2
Addis:
从我来看,事情大概已经解决了,没必要小题大做。家丑不出外扬。在一个这么公开的环境里面谈论中文维基百科的小事,实在不适合。
翘仔