[Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

[Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Dan Garry
Hi everyone,

If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
Today we’ve released a revamped Wikipedia for Android app, now
available on Google
Play <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia>.

Our new features include:

   - *Speed* – Our new, native app allows you to browse and edit Wikipedia
   faster than ever before.
   - *Editing* – You can edit Wikipedia on the app. Logged in or logged
   out, we thank you for all your contributions.
   - *Recent pages* – We provide you with your reading history, so you can
   tap as many links as you like without ever getting lost.
   - *Saved pages* – You can save select pages for offline reading and
   browse them even when you don’t have a data connection.
   - *Share* – Use your existing social networking apps to share in the sum
   of all human knowledge.
   - *Language support* – The app allows you to seamlessly switch to
   reading Wikipedia written in any language.
   - *Wikipedia Zero* – We’ve partnered with cellular carriers around the
   world to provide Wikipedia free of data charges to users in many developing
   areas.

Coming soon:

   - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
   feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
   inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much easier.
   - *Discussions* – Talk pages are an important part of Wikipedia for both
   new users and experienced editors alike. We’re bringing them to the app.

This release is just the beginning! We’re still working hard on creating
new features to make the app the best Wikipedia reading and editing
experience out there.

Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
[hidden email].

Thank you!

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Brion Vibber-4
Congratulations to the Mobile Apps Android team on their first release of
the new app!

iPhone users, rest assured we're hard at work polishing up the iOS version,
which brings the same updated feature set. Expect it in the next few
weeks...

-- brion

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
> Today we’ve released a revamped Wikipedia for Android app, now
> available on Google
> Play <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia>.
>
> Our new features include:
>
>    - *Speed* – Our new, native app allows you to browse and edit Wikipedia
>    faster than ever before.
>    - *Editing* – You can edit Wikipedia on the app. Logged in or logged
>    out, we thank you for all your contributions.
>    - *Recent pages* – We provide you with your reading history, so you can
>    tap as many links as you like without ever getting lost.
>    - *Saved pages* – You can save select pages for offline reading and
>    browse them even when you don’t have a data connection.
>    - *Share* – Use your existing social networking apps to share in the sum
>    of all human knowledge.
>    - *Language support* – The app allows you to seamlessly switch to
>    reading Wikipedia written in any language.
>    - *Wikipedia Zero* – We’ve partnered with cellular carriers around the
>    world to provide Wikipedia free of data charges to users in many
> developing
>    areas.
>
> Coming soon:
>
>    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
>    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
>    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much easier.
>    - *Discussions* – Talk pages are an important part of Wikipedia for both
>    new users and experienced editors alike. We’re bringing them to the app.
>
> This release is just the beginning! We’re still working hard on creating
> new features to make the app the best Wikipedia reading and editing
> experience out there.
>
> Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> [hidden email].
>
> Thank you!
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Sage Ross
For those without Google Play access or who otherwise prefer
sideloading, here's the APK you can install directly:
https://releases.wikimedia.org/mobile/android/wikipedia/stable/wikipedia-2.0.apk

-Sage

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
> Today we’ve released a revamped Wikipedia for Android app, now
> available on Google
> Play <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia>.
>
> Our new features include:
>
>    - *Speed* – Our new, native app allows you to browse and edit Wikipedia
>    faster than ever before.
>    - *Editing* – You can edit Wikipedia on the app. Logged in or logged
>    out, we thank you for all your contributions.
>    - *Recent pages* – We provide you with your reading history, so you can
>    tap as many links as you like without ever getting lost.
>    - *Saved pages* – You can save select pages for offline reading and
>    browse them even when you don’t have a data connection.
>    - *Share* – Use your existing social networking apps to share in the sum
>    of all human knowledge.
>    - *Language support* – The app allows you to seamlessly switch to
>    reading Wikipedia written in any language.
>    - *Wikipedia Zero* – We’ve partnered with cellular carriers around the
>    world to provide Wikipedia free of data charges to users in many developing
>    areas.
>
> Coming soon:
>
>    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
>    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
>    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much easier.
>    - *Discussions* – Talk pages are an important part of Wikipedia for both
>    new users and experienced editors alike. We’re bringing them to the app.
>
> This release is just the beginning! We’re still working hard on creating
> new features to make the app the best Wikipedia reading and editing
> experience out there.
>
> Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> [hidden email].
>
> Thank you!
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Miguel García
Great work!

However, I will miss the amazing feature that allowed finding close
articles by location. Any plans for restore this feature? :_(
El 25/06/2014 21:07, "Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> For those without Google Play access or who otherwise prefer
> sideloading, here's the APK you can install directly:
>
> https://releases.wikimedia.org/mobile/android/wikipedia/stable/wikipedia-2.0.apk
>
> -Sage
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
> > Today we’ve released a revamped Wikipedia for Android app, now
> > available on Google
> > Play <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia>.
> >
> > Our new features include:
> >
> >    - *Speed* – Our new, native app allows you to browse and edit
> Wikipedia
> >    faster than ever before.
> >    - *Editing* – You can edit Wikipedia on the app. Logged in or logged
> >    out, we thank you for all your contributions.
> >    - *Recent pages* – We provide you with your reading history, so you
> can
> >    tap as many links as you like without ever getting lost.
> >    - *Saved pages* – You can save select pages for offline reading and
> >    browse them even when you don’t have a data connection.
> >    - *Share* – Use your existing social networking apps to share in the
> sum
> >    of all human knowledge.
> >    - *Language support* – The app allows you to seamlessly switch to
> >    reading Wikipedia written in any language.
> >    - *Wikipedia Zero* – We’ve partnered with cellular carriers around the
> >    world to provide Wikipedia free of data charges to users in many
> developing
> >    areas.
> >
> > Coming soon:
> >
> >    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
> >    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
> >    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much
> easier.
> >    - *Discussions* – Talk pages are an important part of Wikipedia for
> both
> >    new users and experienced editors alike. We’re bringing them to the
> app.
> >
> > This release is just the beginning! We’re still working hard on creating
> > new features to make the app the best Wikipedia reading and editing
> > experience out there.
> >
> > Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> > [hidden email].
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > --
> > Dan Garry
> > Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Andy Mabbett-2
On 25 June 2014 20:18, Miguel García <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I will miss the amazing feature that allowed finding close
> articles by location. Any plans for restore this feature?

I came here to say the same thing. I can't believe this has been
removed; nor that its removal came as a surprise.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

metasj
This is looking great.  Editing on the new app has been working very
well for me.

Except that my mobile operator's IP is often blocked and not allowed
to create accounts on en:wp ...

> Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
[hidden email].

Not mobile-l ?  Is the above a private list?

Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Alex Monk
On 25 June 2014 23:29, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> [hidden email].
>
> Not mobile-l ?  Is the above a private list?

All lists are @lists.wikimedia.org. This address points to an OTRS queue
(specifically, "mobile::Android (Wikipedia)").

On 25 June 2014 15:29, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Except that my mobile operator's IP is often blocked and not allowed
> to create accounts on en:wp ...

Indeed. There's not really much we can do about that, unfortunately.
However, the IP ranges for mobile operators are typically softblocked, so
if you have an account you can log in and use that to edit.

> Not mobile-l ?  Is the above a private list?

[hidden email] points to an OTRS queue which makes
it much easier for us to manage the feedback. We're trying to keep all the
feedback in one channel so that we don't lose anything.

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Dan Garry
Hi Andy,

The new app was built in native code from the ground up. So the nearby
feature wasn't removed as much as it was never implemented.

I apologise if I sound pedantic, but this distinction is important; for the
initial release of the new app, we focussed on the barebones features that
we needed to have included as much as we possibly could while still getting
this out of the door. The nearby feature didn't bubble up in importance as
much as the others.

Right now, the most requested item in our feedback channels by far is a
dark mode for night time reading. The number of requests for that are at
least an order of magnitude larger than requests for any other feature, so
we're focussing our efforts on that. But nearby is definitely on our
roadmap.

Thanks!

Dan

On 25 June 2014 15:14, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25 June 2014 20:18, Miguel García <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I will miss the amazing feature that allowed finding close
> > articles by location. Any plans for restore this feature?
>
> I came here to say the same thing. I can't believe this has been
> removed; nor that its removal came as a surprise.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Dan Garry
Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Andy Mabbett-2
The distinction is false. I have not (and more to the point, the many users
who know nothing about our internal workings will not have) installed a
"new" app; I have upgraded an existing app.

There was no mention in the list of changes, and no warning elsewhere, that
this extremely useful functionality would disappear from my device when I
did so.
On Jun 26, 2014 12:11 AM, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> The new app was built in native code from the ground up. So the nearby
> feature wasn't removed as much as it was never implemented.
>
> I apologise if I sound pedantic, but this distinction is important; for the
> initial release of the new app, we focussed on the barebones features that
> we needed to have included as much as we possibly could while still getting
> this out of the door. The nearby feature didn't bubble up in importance as
> much as the others.
>
> Right now, the most requested item in our feedback channels by far is a
> dark mode for night time reading. The number of requests for that are at
> least an order of magnitude larger than requests for any other feature, so
> we're focussing our efforts on that. But nearby is definitely on our
> roadmap.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan
>

> On 25 June 2014 15:14, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 25 June 2014 20:18, Miguel García <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > I will miss the amazing feature that allowed finding close
> > > articles by location. Any plans for restore this feature?
> >
> > I came here to say the same thing. I can't believe this has been
> > removed; nor that its removal came as a surprise.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> Dan Garry
> Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Andy Mabbett-2
I've just made my first edit. Unless I missed something, there was no way
to enter an edit summary.

This is troubling in itself, but it is also at odds with the WMF's new
terms of use, which require disclosure of paid edits, and suggest that that
can be made in edit summaries (among other options, equally unavailable in
the app).
On Jun 25, 2014 11:29 PM, "Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is looking great.  Editing on the new app has been working very
> well for me.
>
> Except that my mobile operator's IP is often blocked and not allowed
> to create accounts on en:wp ...
>
> > Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> [hidden email].
>
> Not mobile-l ?  Is the above a private list?
>
> Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Erik Moeller-4
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just made my first edit. Unless I missed something, there was no way
> to enter an edit summary.

I think you did (miss something). It gives you canned summaries "Fixed
typo", "Fixed grammar", "Added links", and an "Other" option. If you
select "Other", you can provide your own summary.
--
Erik Möller

On Jun 25, 2014 9:12 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just made my first edit. Unless I missed something, there was no way
> to enter an edit summary.

You can enter an edit summary. Either choose one of the predefined options
for how you improved the page, or pick "other" to enter a manual edit
summary.

-Sage

On Jun 25, 2014 7:28 PM, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!

Sections are no longer collapsed on opening a page. This makes it harder to
reach the latter sections of long articles, and presents the reader with a
mobile-unfriendly "wall of text".

Can this be configurable (akin to some browser's "privacy" mode)?

>    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
>    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
>    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much
easier.

I don't doubt that astronomers and the like would prefer red-on-black.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Andy Mabbett-2
Apologies; my "can this be configurable" question was in reply to the point
on browsing history.
On Jun 26, 2014 2:19 AM, "Andy Mabbett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2014 7:28 PM, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
>
> Sections are no longer collapsed on opening a page. This makes it harder
> to reach the latter sections of long articles, and presents the reader with
> a mobile-unfriendly "wall of text".
>
> Can this be configurable (akin to some browser's "privacy" mode)?
>
> >    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
> >    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
> >    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much
> easier.
>
> I don't doubt that astronomers and the like would prefer red-on-black.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Brion Vibber-4
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sections are no longer collapsed on opening a page. This makes it harder to
> reach the latter sections of long articles, and presents the reader with a
> mobile-unfriendly "wall of text".
>
> Can this be configurable (akin to some browser's "privacy" mode)?

With the new generation of the app we've gone with a table of contents menu
in place of the confusing auto-collapsing of sections (which required
individually opening every section in turn for a full read, and was still
hard to scroll back *up* somewhere).

There's a button on the toolbar to open the table of contents; from there
you can jump immediately to any section.

-- brion

On Jun 26, 2014 2:16 AM, "Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 25, 2014 9:12 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I've just made my first edit. Unless I missed something, there was no
way
> > to enter an edit summary.
>
> You can enter an edit summary. Either choose one of the predefined options
> for how you improved the page, or pick "other" to enter a manual edit
> summary.

Where?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Brion Vibber-4
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2014 2:16 AM, "Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You can enter an edit summary. Either choose one of the predefined
> options
> > for how you improved the page, or pick "other" to enter a manual edit
> > summary.
>
> Where?

Since phone screens are small, you may have noticed that the editing
process is broken up over a couple of separate steps. The preview stage
gives you a chance to select some 'canned' brief edit summaries, or select
'other' and input your own.

Here's a screen recording I just made of the process:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Adding_an_edit_summary_in_Wikipedia_Android_app_version_2.ogv

-- brion

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revamped Wikipedia app for Android now live!

Jon Davies
Thanks Dab - downloaded. The 'night mode' or 'under the blankets' seems a
good idea.

On 25 June 2014 19:28, Dan Garry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> If you love Wikipedia and have an Android phone, you’re in for a treat!
> Today we’ve released a revamped Wikipedia for Android app, now
> available on Google
> Play <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.wikipedia>.
>
> Our new features include:
>
>    - *Speed* – Our new, native app allows you to browse and edit Wikipedia
>    faster than ever before.
>    - *Editing* – You can edit Wikipedia on the app. Logged in or logged
>    out, we thank you for all your contributions.
>    - *Recent pages* – We provide you with your reading history, so you can
>    tap as many links as you like without ever getting lost.
>    - *Saved pages* – You can save select pages for offline reading and
>    browse them even when you don’t have a data connection.
>    - *Share* – Use your existing social networking apps to share in the sum
>    of all human knowledge.
>    - *Language support* – The app allows you to seamlessly switch to
>    reading Wikipedia written in any language.
>    - *Wikipedia Zero* – We’ve partnered with cellular carriers around the
>    world to provide Wikipedia free of data charges to users in many
> developing
>    areas.
>
> Coming soon:
>
>    - *Night mode* – We’ve gotten lots of great beta user feedback; one
>    feature people love is reading Wikipedia in darker environments. The
>    inverted colour scheme offered by night mode will make that much easier.
>    - *Discussions* – Talk pages are an important part of Wikipedia for both
>    new users and experienced editors alike. We’re bringing them to the app.
>
> This release is just the beginning! We’re still working hard on creating
> new features to make the app the best Wikipedia reading and editing
> experience out there.
>
> Please help us improve this app by sending a note to our mailing list,
> [hidden email].
>
> Thank you!
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Garry
> Associate Product Manager for Platform and Mobile Apps
> Wikimedia Foundation

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

On 26 June 2014 03:18, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 26, 2014 2:16 AM, "Sage Ross" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > You can enter an edit summary. Either choose one of the predefined
>> options
>> > for how you improved the page, or pick "other" to enter a manual edit
>> > summary.
>>
>> Where?

> Since phone screens are small, you may have noticed that the editing
> process is broken up over a couple of separate steps.

Of course.

> The preview stage
> gives you a chance to select some 'canned' brief edit summaries, or select
> 'other' and input your own.
>
> Here's a screen recording I just made of the process:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Adding_an_edit_summary_in_Wikipedia_Android_app_version_2.ogv

Thank you. I didn't see the options (buttons) for pre-selected
summaries, nor the "Other" option.

On further experimentation, they are hidden above the top of the
screen, and I need to scroll up to see them.

I'm using the native browser on an Android 2.3.5 device.

[As a matter of interest, what software did you use to capture the video?]

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing