[Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

[Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Dario Taraborelli-3
(cross-posting from wikitech-l)

Today we published an announcement on the Wikimedia blog marking the official launch of revision scoring as a service <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service> and I wanted to say a few words about this project:

        Blog post: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/30/artificial-intelligence-x-ray-specs/ <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/30/artificial-intelligence-x-ray-specs/>
        Docs on Meta: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ORES <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ORES>

First off: what’s revision scoring <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service#Rationale>? On the surface, it’s a set of open APIs allowing you to automatically “score” any edit and measure their probability of being damaging or good-faith contributions. The real goal behind this project, though, is to fix the damage indirectly caused by vandal-fighting bots and tools on good-faith contributors and to bring back a collaborative dimension to how we do quality control on Wikipedia. I invite you to read the whole blog post <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/11/30/artificial-intelligence-x-ray-specs/> if you want to know more about the motivations and expected outcome of this project.

I am thrilled this project is coming to fruition and I’d like to congratulate Aaron Halfaker <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Ahalfaker> and all the project contributors <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service#Team> on hitting this big milestone: revision scoring started as Aaron’s side project well over a year ago and it has been co-designed (as in – literally – conceived, implemented, tested, improved and finally adopted) by a distributed team of volunteer developers, editors, and researchers. We worked with volunteers in 14 different Wikipedia language editions and as of today revision scores are integrated <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service#Tools_that_use_ORES> in the workflow of several quality control interfaces, WikiProjects and 3rd party tools. The project would not have seen the light without the technical support provided by the TechOps team (Yuvi in particular) and seminal funding provided by the WMF IEG program and Wikimedia Germany.

So, here you go: the next time someone tells you that LLAMAS GROW ON TREES <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=642215410> you can confidently tell them they should stop damaging <http://ores.wmflabs.org/scores/enwiki/damaging/642215410/> Wikipedia.

Dario

Dario Taraborelli  Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org <http://wikimediafoundation.org/> • nitens.org <http://nitens.org/> • @readermeter <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Steven Walling
This is really cool! Congrats to everyone who worked on this.
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:51 PM Dario Taraborelli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> in the workflow of several quality control interfaces, WikiProjects and 3rd
> party tools. The project would not have seen the light without the
> technical support provided by the TechOps team (Yuvi in particular) and
> seminal funding provided by the WMF IEG program and Wikimedia Germany.
>
> So, here you go: the next time someone tells you that LLAMAS GROW ON TREES
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=642215410> you can
> confidently tell them they should stop damaging <
> http://ores.wmflabs.org/scores/enwiki/damaging/642215410/> Wikipedia.
>
> Dario
>

> Dario Taraborelli  Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> wikimediafoundation.org <http://wikimediafoundation.org/> • nitens.org <
> http://nitens.org/> • @readermeter <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Jane Darnell
It's mentioned in the MIT Review here:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/544036/artificial-intelligence-aims-to-make-wikipedia-friendlier-and-better/

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> 3rd
> > party tools. The project would not have seen the light without the
> > technical support provided by the TechOps team (Yuvi in particular) and
> > seminal funding provided by the WMF IEG program and Wikimedia Germany.
> >
> > So, here you go: the next time someone tells you that LLAMAS GROW ON
> TREES
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=642215410> you can
> > confidently tell them they should stop damaging <
> > http://ores.wmflabs.org/scores/enwiki/damaging/642215410/> Wikipedia.
> >
> > Dario
> >

> > Dario Taraborelli  Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> > wikimediafoundation.org <http://wikimediafoundation.org/> • nitens.org <
> > http://nitens.org/> • @readermeter <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Anna Stillwell
Wooooo hoooo.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > of today revision scores are integrated <
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Revision_scoring_as_a_service#Tools_that_use_ORES
> > >
> > > in the workflow of several quality control interfaces, WikiProjects and
> > 3rd
> > > party tools. The project would not have seen the light without the
> > > technical support provided by the TechOps team (Yuvi in particular) and
> > > seminal funding provided by the WMF IEG program and Wikimedia Germany.
> > >
> > > So, here you go: the next time someone tells you that LLAMAS GROW ON
> > TREES
> > > <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=642215410> you
> can
> > > confidently tell them they should stop damaging <
> > > http://ores.wmflabs.org/scores/enwiki/damaging/642215410/> Wikipedia.
> > >
> > > Dario
> > >

> > > Dario Taraborelli  Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation

Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Anna Stillwell
Hold on, is this fact correct?

"One motivation for the project is a significant decline in the number of
people considered active contributors to the flagship English-language
Wikipedia: it has fallen by 40 percent over the past eight years, to about
30,000."

--
Anna Stillwell
Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Mardetanha-2
it has been on fawiki for couple of month now and it does amazing Job.
Thanks for making this

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:27 PM Jane Darnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > party tools. The project would not have seen the light without the
> > > technical support provided by the TechOps team (Yuvi in particular) and
> > > seminal funding provided by the WMF IEG program and Wikimedia Germany.
> > >
> > > So, here you go: the next time someone tells you that LLAMAS GROW ON
> > TREES
> > > <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=642215410> you
> can
> > > confidently tell them they should stop damaging <
> > > http://ores.wmflabs.org/scores/enwiki/damaging/642215410/> Wikipedia.
> > >
> > > Dario
> > >

> > > Dario Taraborelli  Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> > > wikimediafoundation.org <http://wikimediafoundation.org/> • nitens.org
> <
> > > http://nitens.org/> • @readermeter <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Revision scoring as a service launched

Pine W
Roughly, yes. March 2007: 50,996 "active" editors. October 2015: 30,482
"active" editors.

Pine