[Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

[Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,

At Wikimania two wikipedians of the year were elected. The article for one
of them and the data at Wikidata are pathetic.

The article is a one liner stub. The Wikidata item had no statements and I
added the few that were minimally needed.

I find it incredible that we take no care of our own even when they are
obviously notable.
Thanks,
       GerardM

PS I have not looked at any of the others and I would welcome it when they
get some proper attention.

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2016/06/wikipedia-wikipedian-of-year-rosie.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Erik Zachte-3
Gerard, feel free to follow-up on your call to action with more action.

Erik Zachte

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Fæ
Why?

Having public debates about the encyclopedic notability of your personal
life, children and work, especially the obsessive determination some
Wikipedians seem to have creating "controversy" sections, is not something
that most people enjoy or are seeking when volunteering their time for
public knowledge.

If you need to promote your personal blog, this may be better done on
Twitter.

Fae
On 30 Jun 2016 10:39, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> At Wikimania two wikipedians of the year were elected. The article for one
> of them and the data at Wikidata are pathetic.
>
> The article is a one liner stub. The Wikidata item had no statements and I
> added the few that were minimally needed.
>
> I find it incredible that we take no care of our own even when they are
> obviously notable.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM
>
> PS I have not looked at any of the others and I would welcome it when they
> get some proper attention.
>

> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2016/06/wikipedia-wikipedian-of-year-rosie.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Ziko van Dijk-3
Hello,

Honestly, I am rather unhappy with the wording: "The article for one
of them and the data at Wikidata are pathetic"

Obviously, someone took the time to make a start. Saying "it is
pathetic" sounds like "you are / your work is pathetic". This is a
good example how the wording of a comment affects the general
atmosphere on wikis and on lists. Wouldn't it be better to say "can be
improved" or "I'd wished to see more content"?

As long as short articles or minimum data sets are allowed..
personally I'd prefer a different approach on article creation and
minimum standards, but that's a different discussion.

Kind regards
Ziko

> The article is a one liner stub. The Wikidata item had no statements and I
> added the few that were minimally needed.
>
> I find it incredible that we take no care of our own even when they are
> obviously notable.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM
>
> PS I have not looked at any of the others and I would welcome it when they
> get some proper attention.
>
> http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.nl/2016/06/wikipedia-wikipedian-of-year-rosie.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Wikipedia is not my thing. I hardly ever write on articles. The article
states that Rosie wrote 1000 articles.. Hardly an argument why she became a
Wikipedian of the year.

The other aspect I give attention to is that we are REALLY bad at doing a
good job for our own. There is a lot that is uncontroversial that can be
added. It it the least that can be done to indicate why she is a Wikipedian
of the year.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 30 June 2016 at 12:05, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerard, feel free to follow-up on your call to action with more action.
>
> Erik Zachte

Joseph Fox
Gerard, I feel like you are basically describing the role of the Wikimedia
Blog. Is that incorrect?

Joe

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 11:35 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Wikipedia is not my thing. I hardly ever write on articles. The article
> states that Rosie wrote 1000 articles.. Hardly an argument why she became a
> Wikipedian of the year.
>
> The other aspect I give attention to is that we are REALLY bad at doing a
> good job for our own. There is a lot that is uncontroversial that can be
> added. It it the least that can be done to indicate why she is a Wikipedian
> of the year.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On 30 June 2016 at 12:05, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gerard, feel free to follow-up on your call to action with more action.
> >
> > Erik Zachte

Yes that is incorrect. There is a Wikipedia article, it is one line and I
have the distinct feeling that it is incorrect.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 30 June 2016 at 13:07, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gerard, I feel like you are basically describing the role of the Wikimedia
> Blog. Is that incorrect?
>
> Joe
>
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 11:35 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Wikipedia is not my thing. I hardly ever write on articles. The article
> > states that Rosie wrote 1000 articles.. Hardly an argument why she
> became a
> > Wikipedian of the year.
> >
> > The other aspect I give attention to is that we are REALLY bad at doing a
> > good job for our own. There is a lot that is uncontroversial that can be
> > added. It it the least that can be done to indicate why she is a
> Wikipedian
> > of the year.
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
> >
> > On 30 June 2016 at 12:05, Erik Zachte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Gerard, feel free to follow-up on your call to action with more action.
> > >
> > > Erik Zachte

Asaf Bartov-2
I agree with Ziko.

Gerard, please believe us, even if you don't perceive it yourself, that
your aggressive language, however well-intentioned, is counterproductive,
and is keeping others from engaging with you, or even engaging on the list
in general.

   A.
On Jun 30, 2016 4:22 PM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Yes that is incorrect. There is a Wikipedia article, it is one line and I
> have the distinct feeling that it is incorrect.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On 30 June 2016 at 13:07, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gerard, I feel like you are basically describing the role of the
> Wikimedia
> > Blog. Is that incorrect?
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 11:35 Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Wikipedia is not my thing. I hardly ever write on articles. The article
> > > states that Rosie wrote 1000 articles.. Hardly an argument why she
> > became a
> > > Wikipedian of the year.
> > >
> > > The other aspect I give attention to is that we are REALLY bad at
> doing a
> > > good job for our own. There is a lot that is uncontroversial that can
> be
> > > added. It it the least that can be done to indicate why she is a
> > Wikipedian
> > > of the year.
> > > Thanks,
> > >      GerardM

> action.

Maybe but both the article and the data have improved considerably.
Thanks,
    GerardM

On 30 June 2016 at 15:37, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Ziko.
>
> Gerard, please believe us, even if you don't perceive it yourself, that
> your aggressive language, however well-intentioned, is counterproductive,
> and is keeping others from engaging with you, or even engaging on the list
> in general.
>
>    A.
> On Jun 30, 2016 4:22 PM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > Yes that is incorrect. There is a Wikipedia article, it is one line and I
> > have the distinct feeling that it is incorrect.
> > Thanks,
> >      GerardM
> >
> > On 30 June 2016 at 13:07, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Gerard, I feel like you are basically describing the role of the
> > Wikimedia
> > > Blog. Is that incorrect?
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >
> > > On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 at 11:35 Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]>

> article
> > > became a

> > doing a
> > be
> > > Wikipedian

> > action.

Chris "Jethro" Schilling
Gerard,

Please don't fall back on the "ends justify the means" argument here.
There were many, many other ways to call attention to this problem.  You
chose a way that was needlessly aggressive and accusatory.  You didn't have
to.  Here is how I would have done it with only minor changes to what you
wrote:

Hi folks,

At Wikimania two wikipedians of the year were elected. The article for one of
them and the data at Wikidata are somewhat lacking, and I think we can work
together to put them in better shape given the recognition they received.  The
article is a one liner stub, and the Wikidata item had no statements
and I added
the few that were minimally needed.

I've gotten started by adding some material, but any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jethro

PS I have not looked at any of the others and I would welcome it when they get
some proper attention.

The results would have been the same, and perhaps you would have even
gotten more engagement and better content from folks watching this list.

- Jethro

Chris "Jethro" Schilling
I JethroBT (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:I_JethroBT_(WMF)>
Community Organizer, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> Maybe but both the article and the data have improved considerably.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM
>
> On 30 June 2016 at 15:37, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I agree with Ziko.
> >
> > Gerard, please believe us, even if you don't perceive it yourself, that
> > your aggressive language, however well-intentioned, is counterproductive,
> > and is keeping others from engaging with you, or even engaging on the
> list
> > in general.
> >
> >    A.
> > On Jun 30, 2016 4:22 PM, "Gerard Meijssen" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hoi,
> > > Yes that is incorrect. There is a Wikipedia article, it is one line
> and I
> > > have the distinct feeling that it is incorrect.
> > > Thanks,
> > >      GerardM

> > > Wikimedia

> > [hidden email]>

> > article

> > > doing a
> can
> > > be

> > > action.

Pete Forsyth-2
Excellent example Chris, thanks for taking the time to write that up. I
agree it would have had at least as much positive effect, and also
substantially less negative effect, than the original post.

One person's opinion might be especially worth considering: I wonder
whether the person whose name has been used as a subject line on a public
email list is pleased or displeased by the way it was brought up. I have
not talked to Rosie about this, but Gerard, it might be worthwhile for you
to ask her.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]