[Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

[Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

David Richfield
Hi all,

When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
language projects have different rules on whether company
representatives should:

* Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages
* Edit under their own names or under company names

What are the rules for the Nordic languages?

Thanks,

David

--
David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Hans A. Rosbach
In no-wp we have a policy that usernames shall be for individuals and thus
typical company usernames are blocked and asked to request change of names.
These users then have no restrictions on which pages to edit. As long as we
don't demand identification of users, restrictions on edits would IMO be
futile anyway.

Hans A. Rosbach / User:Haros

On 21 October 2013 15:14, David Richfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
> International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
> on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
> language projects have different rules on whether company
> representatives should:
>
> * Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages
> * Edit under their own names or under company names
>
> What are the rules for the Nordic languages?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --
> David Richfield
> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
> +491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

David Richfield
Thanks for the quick reply, Hans!  If our representatives would (for
example) translate an English company page into Norwegian, and then
explain the edits on the talk page, and identify their conflict of
interest on their user pages and also the article talk page, would you
expect that that would be seen as fair and transparent by the
Norwegian Wikipedia community?

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Hans A. Rosbach
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In no-wp we have a policy that usernames shall be for individuals and thus
> typical company usernames are blocked and asked to request change of names.
> These users then have no restrictions on which pages to edit. As long as we
> don't demand identification of users, restrictions on edits would IMO be
> futile anyway.
>
> Hans A. Rosbach / User:Haros
>

> On 21 October 2013 15:14, David Richfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
>> International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
>> on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
>> language projects have different rules on whether company
>> representatives should:
>>
>> * Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages
>> * Edit under their own names or under company names
>>
>> What are the rules for the Nordic languages?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David
>>
>> --
>> David Richfield
>> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
>> +491723724440

David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]
+491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Hans A. Rosbach
I'm not sure. Someone who posts deficient article that they obviously have
a special relationship to, where the language in addition is deficient, may
easily be meet by a deletion request. The difficulty with promoting a
company in Wikipedia is the promotion part, not the identity of the author.
For a well sourced, well written, well structured article that takes a
neutral point of view about a clearly relevant subject, I cannot see that
the identity of the author should make much difference. That said,
obviously there may be someone who disagrees with me in this.

Hans

On 21 October 2013 16:07, David Richfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply, Hans!  If our representatives would (for
> example) translate an English company page into Norwegian, and then
> explain the edits on the talk page, and identify their conflict of
> interest on their user pages and also the article talk page, would you
> expect that that would be seen as fair and transparent by the
> Norwegian Wikipedia community?
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Hans A. Rosbach
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In no-wp we have a policy that usernames shall be for individuals and
> thus
> > typical company usernames are blocked and asked to request change of
> names.
> > These users then have no restrictions on which pages to edit. As long as
> we
> > don't demand identification of users, restrictions on edits would IMO be
> > futile anyway.
> >
> > Hans A. Rosbach / User:Haros
> >

> > On 21 October 2013 15:14, David Richfield <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
> >> International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
> >> on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
> >> language projects have different rules on whether company
> >> representatives should:
> >>
> >> * Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages
> >> * Edit under their own names or under company names
> >>
> >> What are the rules for the Nordic languages?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> David
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Richfield
> >> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
> >> +491723724440

> David Richfield
> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
> +491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Fred Bauder-2
> I'm not sure. Someone who posts deficient article that they obviously
> have
> a special relationship to, where the language in addition is deficient,
> may
> easily be meet by a deletion request. The difficulty with promoting a
> company in Wikipedia is the promotion part, not the identity of the
> author.
> For a well sourced, well written, well structured article that takes a
> neutral point of view about a clearly relevant subject, I cannot see that
> the identity of the author should make much difference. That said,
> obviously there may be someone who disagrees with me in this.
>
> Hans

What you are saying, in practice, is that a major firm that hires a
professional public relations firm that writes the best sort of article,
from the viewpoint of the firm, that could be expected to be acceptable
is OK, but a crude amateur effort by an inexperienced free-lancer is not.
What makes a Wikipedia article better for a firm if serious attention by
a public relations firm is regularly paid to it is rather subtle. The
brights are a little brighter, the dulls a little less boring, and the
pig is cute.

Fred

> On 21 October 2013 16:07, David Richfield <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick reply, Hans!  If our representatives would (for
>> example) translate an English company page into Norwegian, and then
>> explain the edits on the talk page, and identify their conflict of
>> interest on their user pages and also the article talk page, would you
>> expect that that would be seen as fair and transparent by the
>> Norwegian Wikipedia community?
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Hans A. Rosbach
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > In no-wp we have a policy that usernames shall be for individuals and
>> thus
>> > typical company usernames are blocked and asked to request change of
>> names.
>> > These users then have no restrictions on which pages to edit. As long
>> as
>> we
>> > don't demand identification of users, restrictions on edits would IMO
>> be
>> > futile anyway.
>> >
>> > Hans A. Rosbach / User:Haros

>> --
>> David Richfield
>> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
>> +491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Hans A. Rosbach
Is skewing an article easier if you are good at it? Yes I think it is.

Hans

On 21 October 2013 21:13, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I'm not sure. Someone who posts deficient article that they obviously
> > have
> > a special relationship to, where the language in addition is deficient,
> > may
> > easily be meet by a deletion request. The difficulty with promoting a
> > company in Wikipedia is the promotion part, not the identity of the
> > author.
> > For a well sourced, well written, well structured article that takes a
> > neutral point of view about a clearly relevant subject, I cannot see that
> > the identity of the author should make much difference. That said,
> > obviously there may be someone who disagrees with me in this.
> >
> > Hans
> >

> What you are saying, in practice, is that a major firm that hires a
> professional public relations firm that writes the best sort of article,
> from the viewpoint of the firm, that could be expected to be acceptable
> is OK, but a crude amateur effort by an inexperienced free-lancer is not.
> What makes a Wikipedia article better for a firm if serious attention by
> a public relations firm is regularly paid to it is rather subtle. The
> brights are a little brighter, the dulls a little less boring, and the
> pig is cute.
>
> Fred
>

> > On 21 October 2013 16:07, David Richfield <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the quick reply, Hans!  If our representatives would (for
> >> example) translate an English company page into Norwegian, and then
> >> explain the edits on the talk page, and identify their conflict of
> >> interest on their user pages and also the article talk page, would you
> >> expect that that would be seen as fair and transparent by the
> >> Norwegian Wikipedia community?

> >> thus
> >> names.
> >> as
> >> we
> >> be

> >> --
> >> David Richfield
> >> [[:en:User:Slashme]]
> >> +491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Johan Jönsson
2013/10/21 David Richfield <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,

For Swedish Wikipedia, as I understand our consensus and relevant texts
(WP:IK, WP:Användarkonto, WP:Att skriva om näringsliv, företag och
varumärken):

When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
> International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
> on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
> language projects have different rules on whether company
> representatives should:
>
> * Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages

Talk pages only, please.

* Edit under their own names or under company names

Their own names (or pseudonyms). We discourage company names as user names.

//Johan Jönsson
--
http://vetsaga.se

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

David Richfield
Thanks all!

Surprising as it might seem for a company our size, we don't have any
consultants polishing our Wikipedia pages.

I'm not in communications at all: I'm in R&D, but our Corporate
Communications team really does want to act in good faith, which is
why they started talking to me: they're trying to understand the rules
before doing anything, and I want to help them connect with the right
people in the projects, and help them figure out how they're allowed
to contribute responsibly and openly.

Kind regards,

David

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/10/21 David Richfield <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> For Swedish Wikipedia, as I understand our consensus and relevant texts
> (WP:IK, WP:Användarkonto, WP:Att skriva om näringsliv, företag och
> varumärken):
>
> When I'm not editing Wikimedia projects, I work for Mondelez
>> International, and our Social Media team has contacted me for advice
>> on responsible engagement with Wikipedia.  I know that different
>> language projects have different rules on whether company
>> representatives should:
>>
>> * Edit pages directly or only ever edit talk pages
>>

> Talk pages only, please.
>
> * Edit under their own names or under company names
>>

> Their own names (or pseudonyms). We discourage company names as user names.
>
> //Johan Jönsson
> --
> http://vetsaga.se

David Richfield
[[:en:User:Slashme]]
+491723724440

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Rules of engagement for companies in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Danish?

Peter Gervai-5
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM, David Richfield
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not in communications at all: I'm in R&D, but our Corporate
> Communications team really does want to act in good faith, which is

Yeah, usually when someone wants to play nicely ask asks openly people
start to pour all of their problems with OTHERS who doesn't play
nicely on them. :-P

Human behaviour sucks. Unfortunately lowers, while peaceful, cannot
edit articles. :-)

2013/10/22 David Richfield <[hidden email]>

> Thanks all!
>
> Surprising as it might seem for a company our size, we don't have any
> consultants polishing our Wikipedia pages.
>
> I'm not in communications at all: I'm in R&D, but our Corporate
> Communications team really does want to act in good faith, which is
> why they started talking to me: they're trying to understand the rules
> before doing anything, and I want to help them connect with the right
> people in the projects, and help them figure out how they're allowed
> to contribute responsibly and openly.

Which is appreciated.

//Johan Jönsson